• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Originally posted by mywayin View Post
    afternoon quickie... Oh, thunderstorms ��
    :blushing:

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Originally posted by BelleGirl View Post
      I need to have my other go to drinks at the ready. green tea, tonic water.
      I think this would be helpful in the toolbox BelleGirl
      Go as far as you can see.
      When you get there, you'll see further.

Comment

Afternoon quickie ror me. Welcome Rockitman. We are so glad you’re here!
        Hugs to all, Byrdie
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Glad you all enjoyed my post last night re afternoon quickie thunderstorm.. ha ha! I was a little overtired when I wrote that, oh well

G, bon voyage, have fun but be a good boy!!

Hello & welcome Rocket1TMan1, glad you found us & decided to join in!
          Making the decision to quit & take back your life is the best thing you can do for yourself. It's not easy, we've all been there but it can be done.
          Make yourself a good plan, stick with us & check in as often as possible. Tapering for a few days sounds like a good start for you. Wishing you the very best!

Everyone sounds pretty good on this AF Monday, I'm happy
          Wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi Ya'll. Will tend to my garden house & doll house today. Smaller versions of my home that Hubs renovated for me. God Bless Him. Construction bizz typically throws out things when the job is completed. Hubs hauled it home & Voila ! Amazing stuff can happen when one puts their heart and soul into it.

Rose

Comment

Rockitman - You are Strong. Welcome and read what these kind folks are saying. They don't judge us. They Are Us....Very helpful words that I repeat daily.

Rose

Comment

Hi, All:

Welcome, Rock1tman. You found a good place to come. Quitting is not easy, but you'll find lots of support here. Interesting that the cure for gin blossoms is to quit drinking. Go figure. Quitting was the cure for a lot of my ailments, and helped my life in so many ways. You'll never regret not drinking.

Glad everyone's having so many afternoon quickies. I think I'll have a morning quickie...

xo
                Pav

Comment

Originally posted by available View Post
                  Morning nesters

Welcome Rock to MWO. My witching hour to drink was 5.15pm everyday. Every morning i swore i would not drink that day and by 3pm i was planning which bottleshop to stop at to get my two bottles of wine. it was a never ending cycle that thankfully i ended in 2013. Be gentle with yourself and eat a lot and come on here a lot, we cant do this by ourselves
                  Thanks all for the replies and support. I had 7 drinks last night, plan on 6 tonight and so forth, then then I plan to stick to 2 glasses of wine for a few nights then nothing. I feel like the longer I draw out this taper method the harder it will be to say "ok I am AF today", but I also don't to die the ironic death of someone who has a seizure or complication due to withdrawals because he is trying to do be more healthy.

I will search the site today for others' experience with weening off Al.

Comment

Welcome Rocket! You have come to a good place! All of us here can relate to your post in some way. We all drank different amounts - some more and some less than you - but it got to where drinking lost enjoyment and became addiction. There is a wealth of information here for and from people at all stages of this process. I can tell you that, personally, my life was MUCH MORE BORING when I drank - because all I thought about was alcohol (when I wasn’t recovering from it). Now, I fill my time (and there’s LOTS more of it!) with things that bring me joy! And even the little things bring me SO MUCH MORE joy than they ever did before. It takes some time to wade through the quitting process, but the other side is worth the effort, I can promise you that!

AVA, you are having your share of medical visits! Glad your furry one feels better - hangnails suck. It's nice that you can be there for your SO's Aunt - I bet that means a lot to her!

G, safe travels! I'm excited for you! Should you just pop an antibuse now? You said it has no side effects and lasts a week?

I love thunderstorms.

I am headed down for a job site visit today. Then going for a run in the city park. It's lovely here today. I'm feeling feisty for some reason. I hope the run will help. Happy day everyone!
                    Last edited by KENSHO; May 8, 2018, 11:06 AM.
                    Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Rockitman - Hoping you aren't one that is prone to seizures and/or blackouts. You need someone with you for sure just to be Safe.

Rose

Comment

morning nesters

Happy running Kensho.

Rock, pick a quit date and start that day. there is no point putting off the inevitable. the lovely NS on here put a little pressure on me to pick a date and i did and it stuck. i think we need to be pushed or else we will keep doing what we feel is right even though its not. i didnt want to pick a date but i was resigned to knowing i had to stop. the best decision i ever made and the best decision you will make also. Stay on here and keep us up to date on your progress.

Fur baby is doing pretty good, they are not enjoying the cooler weather but have their jackets on. My central heating decided not to work and for two weeks i have been waiting for it to be fixed. the contractor was supposed to be there on Monday but didnt show and then told the real estate agent i rescheduled. Well now maybe that would have happened in my drinking days but not now. i am furious and told the real estate to find someone else. i am not going to sit in my house for another week due to their stuff up, i dont even have their phone number to reschedule. FFS....... we are due for two days of cold and rain and its not acceptable at the end of the day. something else to deal with.

the SO's aunt is going back to her nursing home today. i have a meeting with the drs here to discuss her end of life care plan which the SO does not want to recognise/accept so its going to be hard explaining what needs to be done to him and the nursing home yet again. She cant keep coming into hospital every few weeks so the plan is to get everyone on the same page hopefully today.

Hope you had a good flight G and are over at your destination safely.

take care xxx
                        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Originally posted by R0CK1TMAN1 View Post
                          Thanks all for the replies and support. I had 7 drinks last night, plan on 6 tonight and so forth, then then I plan to stick to 2 glasses of wine for a few nights then nothing. I feel like the longer I draw out this taper method the harder it will be to say "ok I am AF today", but I also don't to die the ironic death of someone who has a seizure or complication due to withdrawals because he is trying to do be more healthy.

I didnt have a lick of success tapering, so my hat is off to you. If I could have controlled my drinking in any way, I'd have done it. I had to go cold turkey....
                          Ive been around longer than Id care to admit and I’ll have to agree with Available, pick a day and stop. I fooled myself for a long time, I actually used the fear of DT’s to not quit! The vast majority of us have gone cold turkey. In no way do I want to minimze the possibility of seizures, but in all my time here, I can think of maybe one person who had any problem, and he drank a considerable , I MEAN CONSIDERABLE amount of AL daily. I was flabbergasted at the amount, but of course now I cant remember what he said. I drank a bottle and a half of wine daily, more on weekends. When I quit, I was anxious (afetr all, I wasnt getting my fix) but I didnt have DTs or the shakes or anything of the sort. I couldnt stick with the taper schedule Id set for myself. Why? Because after a couple of drinks, our judgement is impaired! I found that one drink only lead to another. I would make rules and break then faster than I could revise them.
                          Everyone is different, but Ive seen thousands of people come and go, cold turkey seems to work for most of us. If you truly have a fear, please consider having supervision with you just in case. Im sure if you searched this site for ‘tapering’, you will find a wealth of information on it. Best of luck to you, we are pulling for you.
                          Hope everyone has an easy evening. Byrdie
                          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Originally posted by R0CK1TMAN1 View Post

Tapering can work for some people if you really want off the booze,there's a few threads on it but some of the people tapering were dragging it on for months! That's not necessary and to me it was just an excuse to keep drinking,when I first quit drinking I tapered for a few days but on slips/relapses I've basically quit cold turkey each time and that's after drinking a 12- pack of more,I've never really had anything super serious except the shakes,fatigue,nausea etc but everyone is different of course,I wish you strength
                            I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                            Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Grateful for another nice spring day here, it's about time, haha!!
                              Had the pleasure of picking up my grandsons for a 5 hr visit this afternoon after their half day of school. In the old days I wouldn't have been able to do that. Now I can drop everything on a moment's notice & enjoy life as it should be

Rocket1Man, have you considered contacting your doc for a Rx for Serax or something? It helps with the jitters & whatnot when you quit. It might make you feel a little safer. In the meantime, stick to your tapering schedule & make a good plan to stay quit.

Ava, I hope you get your heating system fixed soon, not fun being cold.
                              Over here when a patient (or the family) signs off for Hospice care that ends the trips back to the hospital. Comfort care measures only after that & it's a much kinder way to go :hug:

Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest!

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09
                              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hola from Chile! Smooth friendly flight, 11 hrs long but as good as it could be. It's almost 10 pm chile time, so settling in. friendly accom, big old rooms and i'm told plenty of open cafes and bars etc in this street. Might wash up and go git some tucker.

Good luck Rockitman. If you have had seizures before from booze withdrawal it'd be a good idea to get a medically assisted detox. take care out there everyone.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Working...
                                X