Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

PAV, we do hut trips where we live. Actually, it’s yurts or huts. It’s awesome. We usually just do it in the winter, and snow shoe in. It’s so cozy being in a little space with the whole wide winter outside.

G - Right on with the “Autoresponse” comment. SO true. Enjoy the ladies and your travels. Sounds like a great adventure!

Belle… I’ve been eating lots of junk lately and feel hungover when I wake up too. But it reminds me also that the drinking hangovers are thankfully a thing of my past!!

Thanks WAGS for the reminder. I need to repeat “I don’t drink” a few times each day I think. The MIL asked me twice yesterday to have some of her Proseco that she brought to brunch. She said, “do you want a sip? No? Not even a sip?” In a demeaning tone. Sometimes she has all kinds of non-AL drinks for me and other times she seems disgusted that I don’t drink. She really has a problem with my choice!

Good job with the water comment Belle. Perfectly neutral and accomplished what you needed.

Ava, glad you will get your heating figured out! Its the pits when our creature comforts aren’t working properly!

Steady… I really need to get back into lifting weights. I’m just so tired all the time now! Good for you!

I’ve enjoyed not really wanting to drink for 160-ish days now… It has surprised me that the thoughts seem to come with the warmer weather. I’m not even sure why. Memorial Day (last weekend in May) is the camping trip last year I said F-it. It took me 7 months to put an end to that “experiment”. 7 whole months of my life. We are camping again this year. Time to shore up my plan for these trips and my spring/summer cravings. You all are right… I DON’T DRINK. But this is the first time in quite a long time that I’ve wanted to drink. So I’m definitely buying some velcro.

Thanks to everyone. Hope you all have a good day!
    Last edited by KENSHO; May 14, 2018, 11:57 AM.
    Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Morning nesters

Pav, i so remember those days when we fretted about what we would say in situations where others drank, the anxiety of the "what ifs and what to say" was awful but having that plan was so essential. Now i just say i dont drink and move on, i dont care if i am looked at like i am from another planet, i dont have a problem with alcohol now unless i have a drink which is never going to happen.

Kensho, i still get those thoughts of its a hot day a wine would be nice. very rarely but i remember wine was refreshing, well my brain tells me that. nothing refreshing about wine for this alkie that a lemon lime or bitters wont fix. Great work on your days.

Lovely to see you Steady and its great you have found an interest, i cant seem to get motivated atm, this premenopause or whatever the fecking call it is doing my head in. im tired, im bloated, im cranky, im happy, im achy, i cant sleep but i know i can only do something but im so exhausted :-). just trying to be nice is an effort some days.

Heater update: I have none! the repairman came around yesterday for a whole of half an hour, told me it was fixable, did a quote and said this will be sent to the real estate for approval and once approved it will be fixed. Since it has been a month on the 18th i emailed them and said they have till the end of Tuesday to have it approved as otherwise i will be involving the relevant government authorities. they emailed me back saying they had not received the quote to which i replied they had better get onto it so it can be approved by the end of day. I never push people and normally just wait and wait but apparently heating is an essential necessity and should have been fixed within two days. Sober Linda is over this crap, alky Linda would have just accepted it and kept drinking to stay warm, probably the whole of winter!

My oven is broken also (care factor of zero with that) so it will be interesting to see how long it takes to get fixed or a new one. they come out on Thursday.

Take care x
      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Hey all.
        Another insane day. Holy cow.
        Glad I dont drink. I just dont know how Id do it. Kensho, I could smack your MIL for the ‘not even a sip’ comment. Thats just a ridiculous statement. Im sorry you had to endure that.
        Hope everyone has a peaceful evening. Byrdie
        Last edited by Byrdlady; May 15, 2018, 07:44 AM.
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Great to see everyone

Ava, I'm a little confused about your heater/housing situation. Are you a renter? Is that why you have to get all these approvals to get things done? I'm sorry it's taking so long, geez. Stay warm & don't kill anyone, LOL

I received two pieces of bad news today, My son had to have one of his dogs put down today. The dog has been treated for a brain tumor for the past year or so but he suddenly took a turn for the worse yesterday
          Also my 86 year old former neighbors just let us know that their 61 yr old daughter passed away suddenly on Sunday, how sad.
          Wow, these things usually come in threes - wondering who is next.

On that note I'll wish everyone a very safe nigh in the nest!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi Everyone. I'm up late tonight trying to pull together the last items for a full day meeting tomorrow. To be honest, I'm feeling kind of crappy. I really don't like the stress of this job. I had to email my big client from last year about paying the invoices I first sent her last October - and get on her case. I did get a response though, which is a relief. But now I'm just feeling not present - head stuck in what has to be done tomorrow and other client demands. I feel scattered, behind and tired. Always tired. My husband is out of town at a work conference for three nights, and the kids are missing him. My 8 yr old daughter is teary - and I'm trying to console her and talk her through it - and all I want to do is get my work done for the day so I can get at least a few hours sleep.

Ug. I wonder if I've taken on too much in this life. Sometimes I think I wouldn't mind the bohemian life of a wanderer. I might prefer time to think over money. Maybe part time is the ticket for me. I don't know. Just getting more tired of this stress as I get older.

I did get the results back on a heart monitor test I took - all good there. So that's a relief. And I take the MRT blood test for food sensitivities this Friday. I feel like I'm getting some answers finally to health stuff and hopefully I can move forward in a more educated way.

Anyway - work is calling. Drafting and lighting selections. I have thought of alcohol and "escaping" more than I care to admit. Must be time to "escape" in other ways - exercise, music, food, spa, baths, days off, camping - more laughter..... the list on my mind!

Sleep tight.
            Last edited by KENSHO; May 14, 2018, 11:11 PM.
            Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Good Morning, Nester..

Kensho, you have so much going on right now.. I can imagine the stress you're feeling. Having your own business and the kids on your own. We don't drink! So that's not an option. What can you put on the back burner until your husband returns? Who can help you now? Is it a possibility to "call in sick" to your clients for a day or two? Get a moment in to exercise? I find that when I'm wound up, even if I'm tired, getting my heart rate up with some exercise releases some of the nervous energy. I think staying in the moment is so important for you now.. try not to think about the big questions now. You'll make some quiet time to think about those things later.. big hugs to you, dear lady..:love: .. glad to hear about the positive heart monitor test..

Ava, what a bunch of slackers! glad you're on top of that.. I sure hope you'll be getting some heat in there soon. What's the bitters you mentioned?

Wags, great point! I don't drink.. and thankfully, at the moment, I don't have any desire to. Summer can also be a difficult time for me.. I guess it can be for most of us..? I'm always carrying a bottle of fizzy water. Somehow, when I have a craving, the intense fizziness interferes..goes straight to my brain!

I finally got a good night's sleep last night.. had been averaging 6 hours of restless sleep for a few days.. which doesn't do me well..
              Pav, I had a long dream about you! It was so funny.. first, I think I was in California so I called you on the phone.. we talked for a long time on a video call and you showed me your entire house, introduced me to your son, who you were helping to get ready for school, while my youngest who was 3 in my dream was hanging on to my dress.. then we visited you. You lived on the coast near Monterey.. nice dream :happy2:

Darn. I can't remember who else I wanted to respond to..
              I'm off too run a million errands, then going to see a movie with a friend.. Has anyone seen, 'Isle of Dogs' yet?
              Love and Hugs to all you Nesters.. Let's keep up the good life.. enjoying the easy times and doing whatever we have to do during the more difficult/trying times. Let's remember that drinking alcohol is NEVER a solution. All it does is bring us down, adds yet another problem to our list of problems. I'm thinking now, when everything feels like too much, when there's no way I can get it all done and I feel like I might break.. it's much better to put everything on HOLD (even if I don't feel like that's a possibility), or at least putting a couple of things on the back burner, so that I can retreat a bit, relax, get myself back on track.. the other option, the one I've chosen so often in the past, of "drinking to cope" sets me back so much further.. weeks or months instead of just a day or so.
              Like Gman always says, let's not to forget to get some self lovin' in! Miss you, G!
              Last edited by lifechange; May 15, 2018, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Hi, All:

Kensho, I agree with LC. Find a way to release the pressure on yourself. At the very least, go out for 30 minutes of exercise and fresh air. You've mentioned a couple of times your thoughts of a drink. Now's the time to get out your toolbox. Self care is key. If you don't stay sober, all of the rest will become even more difficult, so staying sober has to be first. The good news is that you don't drink, so at least that's not an option... The relapse comes well before the first sip...

LC - How nice! Of course in my head I'm thinking "my MESSY" house, but I don't think you'd judge... An MWO hut to hut? That sounds nice.

Ava - One month without heat as you head into winter is ridiculous and illegal. You are right to report it IMHO. Sober Linda will reign supreme!

Byrdie - Self care directive to you as well. Your work has been awful lately judging from your posts. I hope there is light at the end of the tunnel. Take care of yourself.

Off to work. We have a good day planned - I'm looking forward to it.

Pav

Comment

As usual I have to figure out how to respond to ya'll. My social media life is Here & email. Was never one to call my boys step sons. Heck no. They were mine from the get go. Will miss the youngest one Forever ( OD ) . Learned a Lot about something other than alcoholism during my stints in rehab. I never knew the gravity that prescription meds have on people. Darned alcohol is legal so just felt safe abusing it. Dumb !

Rose

Comment

Originally posted by KENSHO View Post
                    . Ug. I wonder if I've taken on too much in this life. Sometimes I think I wouldn't mind the bohemian life of a wanderer. I might prefer time to think over money. Maybe part time is the ticket for me. I don't know. Just getting more tired of this stress as I get older.
                    Trite, but I'm pretty sure true:

Take care of yourself, Kensho. xx, NS

Comment

morning nesters

Kensho, i have found if i dont care for myself noone else will. As lav keeps saying to me, look after yourself also. If we dont take care of ourselves in the early stages of recovery then the chances that we go back to our fall back of al will occur. The first year of self care is vitally important on this journey. We are not superhuman and nor should we be, take care of you.

Lav i am sorry to hear of your sons fur baby going over the rainbow bridge and your neighbours daughter. Sending you hugs.

Yes Lav, i rent and have been in the same house for nearly 11 years. Heating is a basic necessity and should have been fixed within two days but oh no, not my real estate. yesterday they told me they could understand my frustration but were doing everything they could. they also offered to lend me a heater for $100 deposit. Well you can imagine what i wanted to say to them but i did say that i asked for it to be approved ASAP and fixed by Friday and it hadnt so tomorrow a government person comes out, pushes the heater buton, sees it is not working and then slams the real estate and owner against a wall. It will end up going to court to get a rent reduction, loss of wages for me having time off, electricity reimbursement etc. I am so angry but that doesnt solve being cold. Luckily the SO had a heater, the next door neighbour gave us a heater and a work colleague gave me a heater! problem is electricity is so expensive i dont want to use the damn things! So the heating saga goes on. i could pay to get it fixed myself but then i would have to go to court to get the money reimbursed.

LC have you heard how Andre is going?

Well best get some work done as day off tomorrow, a positive i must say.

Love the caption NS, so very true.

take care xx
                      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Kensho, I can identify. If I didnt have so much time under my belt, it would be a challenge not to want to escape. Im grateful I have time on my side and Im strong in my quit. This stress is awful. I think its getting to my coworkers, too, we are all on edge. Im trying my best to roll with it, but its hard. I do know this, I wont drink AT it. Hang in there, and I will, too.
                        Hope everyone has an easy evening. Byrdie
                        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

We're in the midst of another thunder storm & I think we've been hit with a lightning strike. Came thru the window, knocked a picture off the wall & the picture hit my husband in the head - Geez!!! Scary!!!

Kensho, hang in there, please. Work stress can really pile up, I do remember. We all want to be people pleasers but the first & only person we need to please is ourselves. Take care of you first :hug:

Ava, I sure hope the heater project gets the attention it needs, what a shame. At least the electrical heat you can use sparingly & use it where you need it the most.

Rose, I do spend more time on Facebook than I should but I have found it to be a good way to stay in touch with certain friends & relatives that I otherwise don't hear from. Maybe you should give it a try

Have a safe night in the nest everyone!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Well, on those notes, I think I'll head to bed and watch my favorite tv show. I was going to stay up and make a few "important" lists - but alas your reminder of what is really important hit home. Thanks.

NS. Yes. Thank you friend.

It was a nice evening (after a night with only 4 hours of sleep and too much work) - I got my son and we took the dog on a long walk in the early evening sun. It's a really pretty spring here. That allowed me to decompress and get some vitamin D - as well as catch up with my growing young man. I'm so proud of him - he's a good person. Then I cleaned up my office so I can think - and I feel much better. I DO have way too much on my plate, but I can only do one thing at once, and I DO have to remember to do things for me. It really became a habit to neglect myself and then drink as a reward. To think, I get to take care of myself! A nap! A tv show! A spa? That sounds great - and the desire to drink goes away.

Sending you warm thoughts AVA.

Scary LAV! Are the chickens ok? Do you still have Ms. Stella?

Ok, Peace out. Have a good night everyone.
                            Last edited by KENSHO; May 15, 2018, 11:00 PM.
                            Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Originally posted by NoSugar View Post

Trite, but I'm pretty sure true:

Take care of yourself, Kensho. xx, NS
                              Right on SB!

Ola evabody! All good here. In Rio last 3 days, and here for a couple of weeks before a few days in the Amazon jungle. I was gonna just drop in by parachute or somethin, but i hear there's a few anacondas and jaguars about this time of year, so best go in with some locals to know how best to negotiate with such critters. 28c and blue skies at 9 .30 a.m. on a wednesday. You'd love it Ava! lol. About to head off to Copocobana beach for a run and swim. My Rio lady is beautiful, great and a decent person, but not quite my style. I hope and reckon we'll remain friends. The chica in Chile is red hot fave at this stage! We're keeping in touch and the vibe is good. Hope to spend a few days with her on my way home around beginning of june. She's planning to come to Oz to study english as it happens, before she met me, so things might line up nicely. Gr8 sleep much needed last night. Just about caught up on rest after some early flights and a little rock n roll lifestyle/wild thing shenannigans. lol. If i was boozing, i'd sure be a sorry looking and feeling soul, not to mention i wouldn't have handled moving hotels (dodgy/zero wifi) in a new city, a few 'extra unannounced surcharges' here and there, early flights resulting in staying awake all night to catch them.......All handled with reasonable grace i reckon, despite my inherent impatient and 'i want it now' streak. Anyway, getting settled in Rio in better accom now thanks to the help of my friend and will search out where the local musicians are at.

Take it easy, and as LC has mentioned.......git some self lovin in today K? K.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

G - great to hear from you. Sounds like a great adventure so far! Enjoy every moment and keep aware of how much more of this trip you're truly living (and will remember) as you don't drink.

Ava - what a PITB your heat situation is! You're totally right to stand firm and demand action, but I'm sorry you even have to do all of those things - as you and others have said, it really should have just been addressed back in the first few days. Sending you warm thoughts

Lav - when I first read your post, I mis-read and thought the lightning hit your hubs in the head! And I thought you seemed a bit blasé for such an event. Glad to hear it was "just" the picture that hit him. That is pretty scary - hope he's ok.

Hellos and waves to everyone stopping by the nest today. Happy hump days and eves to you all!
                                Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Working...
                                X