Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Checking in this beautiful morning. I miss my husband, but it IS quieter without him! I took the opportunity to do some stretching and breathing and set the intention for the day - which is to NOT forget to enjoy my life and take care of myself. Thanks again for the reminder. Why did I learn to forget that??

G - One of my number one loves in life is adventuring. I miss that - being tied down now with kiddos and a business - I think it's time to plan a getaway with the husband to go see something new. You have me envious!! PLEASE don't let that rock-n-roll lifestyle drag you in - remember who you are and what you want! Are you doing your morning salutations?

Time to shower and prepare for another interview - a biggie whole house. It wouldn't start for awhile, so I feel comfortable checking it out. Don't need any more work on my plate at the moment.

Here's a morning funny for you all:

A weasel walks into a bar.
    The bartender looks up and says 'Wow! In all my years tending bar, I've never had a weasel stop by. What can I get you?"
    "Pop," goes the weasel.

My dad's corny humor. Have a good day everyone.
    Last edited by KENSHO; May 16, 2018, 08:39 AM.
    Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hi, All:

G - so great to hear about your adventure. Of course I'm jealous and also excited for you. Amazing that you have met someone you connected with already! The music scene there must be great as well. Thanks for checking in.

Lav! I've never heard of that happening. How scary that must have been! Maybe you should play the lottery now that you've been hit by lightning.

Byrd - I do hope there is some relief on the horizon.

I don't have much to report. Busy but fun week this week. No booze in sight.

Pav

Comment

Thanks Wags, Pavi and Kensho. Sadhana done this morning Kensho. Thx for the reminder. I did miss a day or 2 due to crazy flight schedules etc, but not intentionally. Just forgot. Back on track now. Ole!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

More rain today but no crazy lightning - yet!
          My husband is fine, the picture frame not so much, ha ha. The entire Stella collective survived the storm in their sturdy house. Fortuantely chickens forget things pretty quickly, lol.

G, great to hear from you! You sound like an ambassador from OZ on a once in a lifetime adventure. Carry on young man

Hello to Kensho, Pav, Wags & everyone.

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi Nesters!

Quick fly by on my way to work..
            Lav, Scary! I'm very relieved to hear that everyone is ok.. :love:
            Kensho, glad to hear you feeling chipper again. The difficult times do pass.. and we can find solutions. Thanks for sharing with us..Great idea to plan an adventure with your Hubs! Loved the pop joke..
            G-man, so good to hear from you! We all know you don't drink! But I have to say, I still worry, with you so far from home, away from your routine, with all the lovely chicas.. glad to hear they are respectful of you. Wishing you continued amazing adventures!:hug:

Big shout out to Ava, Pav, Byrdie, Wags, Nar (when is she getting back?), Rose, NS, Belle.. I'm still missing Crusader, Choices, Kiwi.. a couple others haven't been by in a while either.. Mywayin..
            Hope everyone has a nice Thursday..xx

Comment

I'm pretty sure i saw Nar kicking back on the beach in Copocabana reading Echart Tolle yesterday (not that i have a clue what she looks like!).

Lav, glad you're all ok there after that lightning strike. That IS scary. I've had a few things slap me in the head over the years via natural phenomena. After a few times i think i got the message. 'Get it together G man you doodyhead!'

LC, dont worry. I feel suprisingly centred, relaxed and balanced internally so far (sadhana done). No boozing thoughts at all. I was thinking about this yesterday. I'm here in Rio for another 11 days until i go to the amazon for a few days. I could do what i've done many times before which is drink for 2,3,4 days, then stop and pull myself up recover from hangover next 2-3 days and start feeling fine again physically. But, i would be off centre emotionally and mentally. I actually don't want to do this. It has no attraction for me i'm happy to say. Pretty cool eh? I put this down to not will power or any hard work trying to resist boozing, it seems to me to be a natural by product of continued abstinence. I am experiencing the benefits of months of not drinking. Obviously some internal rewiring has been done, and continues. So sticking with the committment to myself to remain sober, and importantly - to GROW as a person, seems to be an effective simple formula. First weeks/months can be a battle as the body/mind adjust to the new, as advertised you.

Big waves to everyone!

Rainy here atm. #feelingrippedoff! 24C high of 26C. Heading to the beach for a run and swim.
              Last edited by Guitarista; May 17, 2018, 07:53 AM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Comment

Hi, All:

Mr. G, this is a good summary...

Originally posted by Guitarista View Post
                I put this down to not will power or any hard work trying to resist boozing, it seems to me to be a natural by product of continued abstinence. I am experiencing the benefits of months of not drinking. Obviously some internal rewiring has been done, and continues. So sticking with the committment to myself to remain sober, and importantly - to GROW as a person, seems to be an effective simple formula.
                I read something a sober person wrote - that staying sober was difficult but simple. He didn't want to underplay the effort it took, but the formula for getting there IS relatively simple. You seem to have found it. I know when I first came here, longer time sober people would say that and I really just had to suspend disbelief and follow them. I didn't believe that I would actually get to a place where alcohol is NOT my first thought for stress, celebration and social life. You are an amazing sober ambassador. Don't forget - at the Copa - Copacabana - music and passion are always in fashion...

All of that being said, I had a highly stressful day yesterday when my cortisol levels must have been elevated all day. As I got in my car and took a deep breath, the thought of alcohol did cross my mind. It is so effective at that quick release. Of course, for me it causes long-term suffering, so it is easy to dismiss still, but a good reminder to stay alert in my relationship with alcohol.

Wow, Thursday already. Have fabulous days...

Pav

Comment

Amazing how alcohol thoughts still hit as a stress response - even after the AF time you have PAV! The old wiring gets bypassed, but must not entirely go away.

I awoke seriously tired. UG! I really, really need to learn how to stop doing the late nights at work. Really, truly. It's not only bad for my health, the effects last for an entire week. Even if I get 7+ hours on following nights, I feel the effects. It's a go-to like alcohol was... if I don't get it done I can just stay up... This has to stop. SO, I need to be careful what I promise, and try harder to plan my workload. AND not take on too much. This is that GROWING part you spoke of G-MAN. It's not just not drinking - it's re-working our lives to minimize triggers.

Anyway, glad to start my day with you all with coffee in hand. I get to attend market today and hear inspiring presentations - so a little gift to myself. Looking forward to it. Have a good one you all. Something about this time of year is exciting to me, but also very stressful (?). I always feel the triggers more - so glad you are all here. :heartbeat:

BTW, I'm sure some of you know more about this - but thanks to whomever is keeping this site up and running.
                  Last edited by KENSHO; May 17, 2018, 08:54 AM.
                  Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Just a quick fly by this morning... glad to hear that folks are doing so well. G, you sound super solid, and Pav, you brushed aside those stress-triggered thoughts like a pro. Kensho, sounds like a lovely day you've got ahead of you. Yay for gifts to self!

I had a brush with al thoughts myself yesterday - one of my clients tried to manipulate me, and I had strong "I just wanna cry cuz I'm so frustrated" reaction. In ye olden days, there would've been a drink in my hand within the hour, probably sooner. Instead, I hopped on my bike and went for about a 30-minute ride - just enough to get the blood flowing and to work some of the "grrrrrr" feelings out of my system. It helped a LOT and the al feelings passed without even a whimper.

Have wonderful days and eves everyone!

PS - I agree with LC - missing some nesters... If any of you are lurking, we'd love to hear from you even if just a pop-in to say hi and let us know all is well!
                    Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

I'm down to 176 emails in my inbox, so life is GOOD!
                      I'm all packed for Chicago tomorrow. Hope all that goes well.
                      It is a relief to not be worrying about getting my fix! Hugs to all, Byrdie
                      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Quit biting my arms today. Finally. Life is Good.

Rose

Comment

And a nice Thanks to Guitarista for Understanding.

Comment

Morning nesters

G, suck in that heat while you can. So glad to see that your first (of many) sober holiday is a success for you. Its nice to be in that place where al doesnt play a huge part in our lives anymore. Proud of you G, you have put in the hard work in sobriety and obviously have no intentions of reverting back to your old life. we all know the sober one is much much better. Good luck with the snakes and jungle and women!

Lav, i hope those storms have long gone for you and the weather settles down and hubs stays out of harms way.

Kensho i dont think our fall back thoughts of al go away completely but we know how to deal with the stress without al. Thoughts are thoughts as we say. i'd like to eat a tonne of chocolate but its just a thought. the more time away from al the better the tools and the plans.

Yesterday i had to stay home and get my oven fixed. funny how it took ten minutes to fix and still waiting on heating! who needs an oven! Today i take my fur baby to the vets and will spend the rest of the day working from home. its nice not to wake up at 5am and face the day.

take care x
                            AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

More rain today but just gentle stuff. Tomorrow more heavy rain moves in, flood warnings & all that. I noticed the grass is above my ankles, it grows like crazy with all this moisture. Walking to the chicken house means coming back inside with soaking wet feet & pant legs, ha ha!

G, I am proud of you as well. Keep up tge goid work & truly enjoy the rest of your adventure!

Great work everyone ignoring those drinking thoughts. We don’t have to believe or act on every thought we get. Thank goodness for that, huh? We’d all be in big trouble if we did

Safe trip to Chicago Byrdie!

Have a safe night in the nest everyone. I’ve told my husband he should listen to the thunder gods when they speak like that, ha ha!

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09
                              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Oi! from sunny Rio. 24c this morning, high 28C! Perfect.

All good here. Thanks y'all for your encouraging supportive words. Sheesh! 8 months and 19 days sober today. Wowza! Off for a workout then a run and swim at the beach.

Git some self lovin in today K? K.

Comment

Working...
                                X