Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

NoSugar - Reddit is similar in that a person posts and then others respond, but it’s set up differently. Things can get interesting on there. Makes me even more grateful to be sober.

Comment

Bogalis - welcome! Really glad to have you here. I hope you'll post your story again - either use the "stay logged in" feature or some folks just type in some sort of word processor and then cut/paste. Be sure to check out the Tool Box (link below at the bottom of my post) for great ideas re: how various people have started and maintained their quits.

Rose - sorry to hear of your slip with vodka, but glad to hear you were safe at home. Please stick around and keep posting. You WILL get this, and this is an opportunity to take another look at your quit plan and revise as necessary. What are some of your main tools, and where do you find gaps or need help?

Dinah - great to see you, and congrats on 60+ days and -25 lbs!!!

Byrdie - congrats on surviving the convention center endurance challenge, all in the midst of the bar area no less!

Kensho - sounds like you have a lot on your plate, and I feel for you. I can especially relate to your work situation, and the challenge of juggling a self-made career with all of your other relationships and responsibilities. I think you'll find a lot of your "overwhelm" may subside once you get your adrenals in better shape. I've had adrenal issues off and on - I'll be curious to hear what your Dr lays out as your plan to help them recover. For now, keep posting and protect your quit. You are doing so well with your quit and everything else (work, family, trying to get your health back in order, etc).

LC - personal trainer for the 40+ women crowd? Do it! I was certified as a PT for about 10 years - it was never the main focus of my career but more of a side-gig, and my particular niche was strength training for women. I forget where you're located, but there are some fantastic PT certification programs/organizations (and some shady ones). Happy to chat with you if you really decide to explore this direction.

G-ster - LOVE the pics! Keep 'em coming please I'm so happy you're finding Brazil to be so wonderful. I have had dozens of Brazilian clients over the years and as a whole they have been my faves. The country has many struggles for sure, as do most, but hands down the people are awesome.

On my end, up early to take my SO to the airport this morning, then home to maybe grab another hour or so of sleep before a pretty full day of work. I will have to read back more and catch up with everyone else. Hope you all have fantastic Monday days & eves!
      Last edited by wagmor; May 21, 2018, 06:25 AM.
      Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Originally posted by TribalRose View Post
        When all else fails I turn to honey nut cheerios. No milk.

Rose
        Rose, i'm turning to this fab dish at the moment! Feijoada. Wow. How are you doing today?

Ola Bogalis! Welcome friend.

25/26c here next few days. Oh yeah! Will be an interesting week on a few fronts. Have a great week everyone. Glad you're enjoying the pics. Rio is a place of beauty and hardship for many. Quite a few people sleeping on the street and asking for money. I hear they have a social security system here, not sure how it works or how much they pay, but i suppose if you dont have an address, it's probably difficult to register for whatever small amount is available. If you're working, Rio looks to me to be a grand place to live or spend time in. The people are friendly overall (i'm sure there are asshats too like anywhere else lol) and look amazing with the cultural mix of Portugese, African and Indigenous peoples. Wowza! Off to the gym, then a run and swim on the beach. Hope you get some sleep Wags. Have a great day.

Feijoada - Wikipedia
        Last edited by Guitarista; May 21, 2018, 07:17 AM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Hi All
          For those new here and for others that aren’t aware this site does have a chat feature. It hasn’t gotten off the ground in the past but a new Old member ATM wizard Has dropped back in and he knows what a great tool it was for many years ago. It was one of the tools I used especially when I had the urge to drink. He is trying to get it going again and I saw we have a few members participating. Don’t do as I did and just monitor it (which I did for a month because I had never been in a chat room.) connect with fellow members who understand. It can be a life line at that moment you are dealing with al and staying sober. What I found was the real key to this site was connecting with members
          Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
          AF 5-16-08

Comment

Hi, Nest:

Welcome, Bogalis. Ooh, did that make me mad - when I had a long, heartfelt post and lost it. I ended up using the word processor and then cut and pasted, especially in the beginning when I was doing a lot of thinking and writing. You've found a great place to get sober.

Belle - when I see that it makes me sad. Only 25. Hopefully he gets it together.
            Byrdie - Here's to tall chairs. Conferences were my excuse to get loaded - well, one of the many excuses. Glad you made it through.

G - Yum.

Woke up late, so I'm off and running.

Happy Monday,
            Pav

Comment

Slow start to Monday morning here. Well, not eventful, just slower than normal. I have to un-learn the "emergency" mode in my life. It's a pretty day here, but a strong smell of petroleum in the air has me fuming (no pun intended). We have a lot of fracking here and it's deplorable. There's no excuse for the total disregard these companies show for the people nearby their rigs. We LIVE here. I can't run in this smell, and I couldn't hear myself think over the drilling sound yesterday. I loathe the process, especially when we have renewable options available. Frack if you need to, but not next door to people trying to live their lives in a non-industrial area. . Whoa - wasn't intending to rant! Sorry!

Bogalis, welcome. Tell us more about yourself, and try again on your post.

G - your photos have me salivating! Enjoy friend!

Byrdie, I'm definitely serious about that massage. You've earned it!

Belle, it's hard to watch people go too far - especially the coach! That must have nearly killed you to see.

NS, I take from your post to keep a certain perspective, and enjoy the journey. Nothing has yet been a true emergency in my recent past - I just make it that way. More meditation may be the ticket for me to have that distance on stress. In fact, I'm going to to go just that. (can't go for a run anyway!)

Not drinking has been both the hardest thing I've done in my life, yet the most simple fix to most of my issues - just don't drink. The rest figures itself out eventually.
              Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Good morning!!!

I am back from Japan and over my jet lag. It was a Great trip and it was generally easy not to drink.
                There were a couple of times where I did have a strong urge to drink -my family was tasting sake and talking about it, I was thinking I could just have a 'sip' but in general it was ok. I thought of you guys when the sake drinking was going on and did not want to post here that I had a drink in Japan. So thank you for making me accountable. That is what they say about staying sober, its that accountability to a group that really helps staying on track with sobriety.

Hi Kensho, sorry about the fracking. That sounds really awful.
                I have not been able to read back to far but G Man- I love Brazil too! Glad you are enjoying it.

I am late for an appointment but I will be back.

xo to everyone
                Don't drink today
                Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

So glad to be here. Well maybe not. It's such a complex disease. Don't wanna drag it out. I screwed up for a day. Made myself work in the yard to punish myself.

Comment

@TribalRose, I have huge regrets about wasted time, hazy memories, damaged relationships, and lost opportunities and quitting was the hardest thing I've ever done over a long term, but I'm grateful for the forced introspection and subsequent growth, up and out, away from an addicted life. I hate the person I was while I was addicted but I've developed some sympathy for her and I much prefer the person I am now to the one who became addicted. Perhaps some of the softening would have come with age, anyway, but facing and overcoming addiction is a strong and beautiful lesson in humility, patience, forgiveness, and love. Because of the experience, I met a couple of the best friends I'll ever have and have seen the kindness and unselfishness of so many people here. When I'm feeling so discouraged about the state of the world and how people are treating one another, I think of the interactions I see here every day and it gives me hope and reminds me that it is our nature to help one another, not tear one another apart. I'm not able to say I'm glad that I've had this experience yet, and may never be, but I am so grateful for what I've gained that without it, I might have missed. Hang in there. xx

PS Rewards for the good days might work better than punishments for the mistakes :hug:.
                    Last edited by NoSugar; May 21, 2018, 03:42 PM.

Comment

TRose, don’t be too hard on yourself, everyone has set backs. Treat yourself with kindness and love. I think a big part of addiction is self loathing, I used to beat myself up all the time when I was drinking. I would say mean things to myself that were terrible and way worse than anything even my worst enemies would say to me. It’s crazy.

I don’t do that anymore. Be kind to yourself.:heartbeat:

Hi NS! Nice post, I agree with everything you said, as usual
                      Last edited by narilly; May 21, 2018, 04:33 PM.
                      Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                      "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Hanging my head in disgust ain't helping / I did it. Drank myself to sleep. Crazy. Vomited my guts out this morning. Very dizzy/ Had to sober up to drive.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

We finally had a full on nice day around these parts, yay

Rose, you drank again last night? Why are you punishing yourself? I'm sorry that you seem stuck in this pattern. What can we do to help you get a few sober days under your belt? I promise you will feel entirely different once your system has cleared the AL. After a week or so your thinking will be very different too. Can you at least start by dumping the vodka & promising yourself to not buy any more? Get yourself stocked up with lots of nice teas, soups, etc. That's how I got started & it worked. I was sick & tired of letting myself down & allowing a poison run my life. You can do it too, make the promise.

Narilly, welcome back, I imagine you have some nice stories & maybe a pic or two to share with us, please

Hello to NS, kensho, Pav, G & everyone.
                          Wishing a safe night in the nest for all! We don't drink, it's as simple as that

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Yes I did drink. Don't like it yet I am honest.

Nothing but total admiration for All of you who have beat this crap.

Rose

Comment

Oi! Nesters near and not so far.

Hi Rose. You can do it. You will get to where you want to be. For me, if i hadn't had enough of my boozing life, i continued drinking. It was only when i'd had enough and came to grips with my own mortality and how short life really is that i began to change. Change for me started with my thinking and how did i really want to spend the rest of my days on this planet. Part of me likes wasted, but a bigger more realistic clearer thinking part of me says - living fully doing what i love to do no matter what. I don't want to be lying in a sick bed on my way to the promised land full of regrets that i didn't try this, do that, or travel there. Just know that you have the power to change within you. Stay as safe as you can if you continue drinking. Have water by your side and sip it along with the booze. Be careful of falling over when drunk and hurting yourself, even indoors. Hatch a plan when you're ready and go for it. We are here to listen and support you. :-)

Tuesday morning in Rio. Sunny and 24c ahead. Noice eh?

Welcome back Narilly! I'm sure i saw you playing volleyball on the beach at Copocabana between reading chapters of Haruki Murakami's latest novel.

Big waves to all. Take it easy out there. Go git it!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Originally posted by TribalRose View Post
                                Yes I did drink. Don't like it yet I am honest.

Nothing but total admiration for All of you who have beat this crap.

Rose
                                Rose.....at some point, most of us were in your shoes. There is so much support and understanding here at MWO, and it's a great tool to help you on your journey. Please keep trying, it is sooo worth it! You can do this!

Comment

Working...
                                X