Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Welcome back, Slo, and good job on getting that day 1! When I've been honest with myself, I've been able to admit that I haven't liked the taste of alcohol the times I've decided to drink (since beginning on this journey). I've tried to fool myself into having "a glass" for the taste, with dinner, in the heat of summer, etc. etc. but my truth is that I usually drink as much and as fast as possible for the effect.. I think all "connoisseurs" have acquired a taste for alcohol. It most never tastes good on a virgin tongue!
    So here's to kicking it out of our lives! No more burgeoning beer bellies.. Glad you're back in the Nest!

Hi Lav, how nice to be having some summer weather that isn't too hot! Here we're getting a break from the intense heat we've had the past couple of weeks.. cool and rainy. Too bad we have a watermelon gazpacho planned for Wednesday! Might have to change the plan..:happy2:

Have a good day, everyone!

Comment

Hey SLO, Good to meet you. I can’t moderate either. Its hard to moderate by drinking one or two drinks. That is just getting started for me. And its hard to stop at that. So rather than sneak around and drink huge amounts to feel relaxed, I need to stop the madness. Glad you are here with me. It’s good to be able to talk about this insanity.

Comment

Hello everyone, just checking in.

Great posts here.

Xo
        Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
        "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Rava,
          One thing I know is that it is way easier to be sober than to worry about drinking. The whole act of drinking, trying to only have one or two, failing at that. Blacking out, waking up feeling like crap and self loathing. Trying to plan an evening and trying to hide the fact that you are drinking more than everyone else.
          There are so many things to be grateful for when you abstain. I try and focus on that. I am grateful every morning I wake up with no hangover and no regrets.
          Go to the tool box and read. There are lots of good ideas here on staying sober.
          None of us can moderate, that is why we are here

You can do it! Just take it day by day and don’t drink today.
          Narilly

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Thanks so much. I just saw this Narilly. Not quite sure how to use this site yet. You are so right drinking is exhausting. The few minutes of a pleasant buzz always gives way to all the negativity that follows. Hiding and sneaking is hard to do and makes me ashamed of myself. When I was sober for all those years, I felt confident and secure. The return to drinking has turned my confidence into endless and mindless drinking chatter. I KNOW I have to get a grip. Yes I will find the tool box. Thanks again.

Comment

Hi, [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION]. Even though you're in a challenging place right now, it is good you know the rewards that lie ahead for you. There's a thread about Relapse episodes you might find interesting: https://www.mywayout.org/community/g...etrospect.html. Maybe you could add your story if you feel like it. It might help you to lay out what happened each time you relapsed after 4 years and I know it would be helpful to those of us who want to learn all we can about avoiding relapse. Have a good day, NS

Comment

I don’t know what happened exactly; just over-thinking and over-analyzing, bored and sick of my to-do list, and worried about being sober at the graduation party on Saturday.
                Hi, @Slo. If we allow ourselves to think too much while we're doing this, we either convince ourselves that this time will be different (HA!) or we get ourselves so tied up in knots, we feel like we just have to drink for relief. My mantra was: "But I don't drink". Anytime a thought popped into my head to drink, I replaced it with that thought and moved on. It is really important not to let that vicious argument that seems to develop within our brains where the logical, healthy, real person battles with the limbic addicted brain that is convinced alcohol is required to survive. Because we evolved to do things to survive (eat, have sex), the very confused limbic brain often wins if we give it even the tiniest chance to speak up. A quick "But I don't drink" can cut off that internal conversation before it develops into what can feel like a war. All the best, NS
                Last edited by NoSugar; June 5, 2018, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Hi All. It's a good day without alcohol. Trying to keep up - life's busy. Whatever did I do when I spent so much time finding and consuming alcohol?

Slo, good to see you back.

My desk is calling - so I'm a quick check in today.
                  Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hola everyone!

here's the link to our toolbox https://www.mywayout.org/community/j...-tool-box.html

Back from the abyss that was a 15 hr flight with no sleep, no sleep the night before flight due to chilean woman meeting going pear shaped! (yep, she's got a guy now, damn) body clock adjusting to different time zone. So a strange last couple of days, but at least i'm not back at work till next week.

Chilean woman took me to a party last friday night, which was cool. Then her boyfriend turns up and they start canoodling in front of me. Ok, she did say Gman, just friends coz things have changed, but i didn't need to be stuck there watching that. Anyway, no-one to blame, i was just pissed orf. If i was her bloke i probably would've been wanting to keep an eye on the gringo and his girl too! So, a tad heartbroken, but i'm a big boy and i accept the reality and what is. We are still friends. Big waves to all.

Take it easy out there.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

G - glad you made it home safely. The lady is missing out - but your "meant to be" will come. I promise. We all have soul mate companions out there. What is your biggest takeaway from your travels?
                      Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Yay :yay: G is back!!!!
                        Welcome home buddy, you had a great trip & learned a lot about everything, right? Get yourself rested up & remember we're happy to see you

Slo & Rava, great that you two are beginning this journey together. You an be quit mates & help each other out along the way.
                        For me nothing was harder than trying to drink moderately. I don't really believe it is even possible, maybe someone can but not this girl. The absolute bets decision I ever made was to quit entirely & I have never regretted that decision. You two can do it too

We had another nice day here except for a brief downpour right at dinner time. The farmers around here are complaining bitterly about being behind in everything. What can you do?

Hello to all & wishing a safe night in the nest for everyone!

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Crazy few days.
                          Rava, welcome aboard! Getting started is the hardest part. Glad you’re here!
                          Hanging in at work, always behind, like a bad dream.
                          Huhs to all, Byrdie
                          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

[QUOTE=NoSugar
                            If we allow ourselves to think too much while we're doing this, we either convince ourselves that this time will be different (HA!) or we get ourselves so tied up in knots, we feel like we just have to drink for relief. My mantra was: "But I don't drink". Anytime a thought popped into my head to drink, I replaced it with that thought and moved on. It is really important not to let that vicious argument that seems to develop [I]within our brains[/I] where the logical, healthy, real person battles with the limbic addicted brain that is convinced alcohol is required to survive.

Thanks No Sugar. That mantra will be a good one to use. It’s nice & quick and to the point.
                            Actually I wasn’t over-thinking drinking, just over-thinking and over-analyzing in general. Then I feel the need to drink in order to shut off my brain and get some peace.

I got so wobbly over witching hour. It was awful! Then sanity reappeared at 7pm. Relief.

Byrdie, I feel for you, and look forward to when you can be retired from that job.

I’m glad my hidden empties went into the trash for the last time today and that I got the remaining full ones from my secret stash out of the house. Done with that!
                            Last edited by Slo; June 5, 2018, 08:12 PM.
                            Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Hello SLO, witching hour is tough. I tried to do other things at that time to take my mind off of drinking. Some things I would do were: shopping, going for a walk, yoga, visiting a friend or my mom, walking the dog, drinking something tasty that was non AL. It will get easier.

Byrdie, how long before you retire? Your job sounds pretty stressful.

Lav, hope the weather gets better. Farmers never have it easy.

G, sounds like you had an amazing trip. That Chilean lady is sure missing out. We are lucky, now we have you all to ourselves.

I’m falling asleep here, goodnight.
                              Xo
                              Narilly

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Here I sit drinking coffee before leaving for work with a bit of a headache. The witching hour got to me last night and I drank. I am humbly admitting to my failure and know the need to change. If I don’t get my shit together I will lose everything. I am staying on this site and tonight I will find something to do besides sneak drinks. OMG I cant believe how easily I get distracted. Found myself in the liquor store after work knowing I should NOT be there. I am admitting to this group that I am weak right now. I can not moderate and I know that. I am all or nothing and right now need to be concentrating on being alcohol free. This weekend coming up I have a family wedding and I am not worried about drinking because its a day wedding. My problem starts at 5 and doesnt end until I go to bed. The struggle is so intense......

Comment

Working...
                                X