Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Originally posted by NoSugar View Post

Byrdie, if you can make your beautiful cakes that quickly, you really can go into business!! Life's too short to be miserable in a job if you can possibly afford to make a change. My switch has been to think about my job differently. I'm getting my ego out of it and just "doing my job" rather than "building a career". I'm still trying to do it well but when I can't because of technological issues and choices others have made to save $, I'm just doing the best I can under the circumstances and then letting it go. It's pretty liberating not to have so much of my self-worth attached to my work - just enough to do it as well as possible, which really isn't that hard after all these years.
    Thank you for those wise words. Some of you know that I have been struggling with my job. Very unhappy. [MENTION=18725]NoSugar[/MENTION] - I have been keeping those words close to me the last couple of days. I had a couple of things happen today where I would normally feel accused & responsible for something that was not my fault. In both situations, I stopped and as I started to feel insecure about myself, I remembered what you said. It really helped.
    Thank you :heartbeat:
    "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Hello Nest - Hope everyone is doing well. I was just reading thru my journal that and wow I have learned so much from everyone here at MWO. I keep a word document on my computer and I copy the posts that hit home.
      Thank you all for being here and all your wise words - especially Byrdie, Lav & NS. :hug:
      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Hi Everyone. Check in from New York. Fun and stressful trip all in one. I can elaborate another time. This family drive me to drink in the past but not now... feeling strong and happy. It’s himid (!) here but cooling off. Crazy turn of events Byrdie; just wow. Thinking of you and everyone here. Time fir bed.
        Last edited by KENSHO; July 7, 2018, 08:46 AM.
        Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

[MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION]
          Thinking about not thinking about drinking… ��

That’s way better than just drinking and not thinking!

I think we have the beginning of a Dr Zeuss story, we certainly have great characters here

But really missing G
          Go as far as you can see.
          When you get there, you'll see further.

Comment

Yesterday I was checking in for my daily quit reinforcement and to catch up on all the MWO news and I had a freak-out moment, the site was no longer accessible with some dreadfully worded message and it seemed that I had possibly lost contact with y’all for life.

What was I going to do? How could I possibly just lose contact with all of you, whose lives have become part of mine? Emptiness.

After several tries throughout the day, the site came back ��

So I want to tell you all how much I appreciate your posts, your life stories that I can relate to, your encouragement and support.

Someday when I am less burdened and stressed I hope to be able to contribute more to the nest.

In 1 week I will be 5 months AF
            Go as far as you can see.
            When you get there, you'll see further.

Comment

Good morning Nesters. So happy to be here without a suspended account like yesterday. Its going to be a beautiful day to not drink. Hope everyone has a good and sober day. We are going to a cookout and I do not plan on drinking. That takes a lot of stress out of my day because I dont have to plan on how to sneak my drinks while maintaining a buzz and not getting hammered. Unfortunately the hammered part is how it all goes down. There is no internal brain chatter because I’m not going to drink.

Comment

Hello nesters,

I missed the screen of death scare yesterday (?) and am glad I did. I love this community so much! We are getting ready to head toward home from our Montana cabin escape. It has been wonderful, and even though I had to work a little bit I also feel like I got a few days of a break.

Pav - the cabins and guard stations and fire lookouts (those are extra cool if you aren't afraid of heights) are reserve-able through the forest service websites (the reservations site specifically is recreation.gov). I don't know if there are cabins in every state, but we have a lot of them in the pacific northwest and I know Cali has them as well. They range from very rustic to semi-cush. Some have no amenities whatsoever (water, power, heat) while others, like the ones we've been in on this trip, have propane heat stove, lights, cook stove, and fridge. No electricity or running water. The first one we stayed at was a former guard station that rangers lived in while on fire fighting duty, so it was built to provide awesome views across the forested valley and up the opposing mountain slopes so they could spot fires as early as possible. The views have been phenomenal!

Nar - enjoy an AF stampede!

Lav - glad your heatwave finally broke. I have a bunch of family in So Cal and they are literally getting fried right now - like 114 degrees. That's a LOT of people trying to stay cool, so rolling power outages and even more heinous traffic than usual as people flock to the beaches. Not a fun time for sure.

Nora - great job dealing with the work situation!

Kensho - glad you're enjoying your NYC vacation and not letting your family drive you to drink

Byrdie - hugs again. Hope you're doing ok.

Hellos and waves to Ava, NS, LS, LC, Hyper, Rava, Mywayin, and everyone else stopping by today. I might not get on here again until Monday. If not, have fantastic weekends everyone!
                Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi, All--

When the site was down I thought I had said something that got me ejected! I couldn't imagine what that was. It did make me contemplate my relationship with MWO and you lovely people. I think I take it for granted sometimes - like you'll ALWAYS be here. I hope you are, but I do wonder what keeps this site going...

NoSugar that was me - I cared so much about what others thought of me that it was paralyzing (in retrospect). Oddly, that's one of the things that helped me quit, however. It really wasn't good for others to see me drunk, and that was happening more frequently. The Thanksgiving Massacre included a trip to a local bar where there was a reunion, and I drunkenly bounced around and talked to everyone. The embarrassment I felt the next day was partial fuel for my sobriety. But then of course, I was worried about what people would think of me that I quit drinking - part of the reason I seek online support and don't really talk about "being sober" or "being an alcoholic." I am easing into my role as a sober person, though, and working (successfully) to care less and less what others think (another part of having a Lavitude). It is freeing!

Nar and Ava - I wasn't a barfer either, which was probably a bad think. Maybe there were a few times when I could have stood to expel some alcohol before it got to my liver...

Good to see you here, Nora. I like the idea of saving posts. Maybe I'll try that, because this is like a journal to me. I am glad you're able to detach a little from your bad work situation.
                  Wags - thanks for the tip. Those cabins sound amazing - I'll check them out.

Rava - Congratulations on 2 weeks! Keep it going.

MyWay In - Whoot! That's an accomplishment! Glad you checked in.

Hi to everyone else! Off to have brunch with friends who are in town for the weekend on this lovely day.

xo
                  Pav
                  Last edited by Pavati; July 7, 2018, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

We actually had the perfect summer day, sunny, 80 degrees, los humidity. I am grateful but wonder why we can’t have a few more weeks like this, ha ha!

Mywayin, great to see you & Congrats on your almost 5 weeks, yay!

Pav, so my attitude has rubbed off on you too - GOOD! We all deserve to feel confident & comfortable in our own lives. Sometimes that requires deleting certain friends & even relatives. We are a hard working group of individuals, we deserve some respect & some space while we do the hard work of reinventing ourselves

Kensho, enjoy NYC as much as you can.

Wags, I do have family north of San Francisco & they are are currently dealing with smoke & haze from the wildfires north & west of them. What a tragedy these fires are every year.

Rava, you sound good!

Nora, please accept my gift of a huge dose of Lavanittude!!!!
                    Don’t let anyone walk on you, not ever. You are a kind & thoughtful person - perfect pickings for the mean people. Think about us & by all means use our collective strength when you are feeling uncomfortable:hug:

Hello to everyone else & wishing for a safe night in the nest for all.
                    I’m leaving tomorrow for a trip with my daughter & her family. I expect to be back late Friday night. I will check in if I can find a wifi connection. Be well everyone!

Lav
                    Last edited by Lavande; July 7, 2018, 06:58 PM.
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

morning nesters

Wags the death scare scared me. i felt like i had lost a limb being suspended. Like Pav, this place is family and my accountability and i would miss not knowing what everyone is doing if MWO went into cyber space and i did wonder what i may have said to have been suspended. Still worried about what others think obviously!

A quiet weekend for me, weather is cold and rainy, perfect to stay inside and knit and spend some quality time with the SO.

Glad it has cooled down for you Lav, the heat sucks the life out of everything.

You are sounding great Rava. I remember those awful times of sneaking a drink and telling myself i was fine when i was a shattered mess.

I found a post on FB the other day that i thought was very apt with regards to al:-

"Alcohol is the only drug in the world that you have to justify why you are not taking it instead of justifying why you do."

Take care x
                      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Oy I have a lot of read back to do. Hope you are all doing well. Checking in day 128. Trying to catch up with everything, including work after all the events from the past 4 weeks. Brother and family made it safely home, gymnastics is back for summer session, and Son is even talking about the start of college next month and even about going dorm shopping. And I will finally take him for his driving permit test next week. Not saying all is 100% great, but I am keeping my head above water (and AL). Gonna read back some before hubby brings the pizza home.
                        BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Good Morning ! I am enjoying reading all the responses and getting to know more of you slowly. Its a process! I am not familiar enough to address each person, but I sure do like getting to know you guys. Yesterday BBQ went well. It was actually kinda cold and we stayed 3 hours. No drinking at all. So that was good. Today is just chilling and maybe watching some reality tv. No plans to drink today. Wishing everyone a great Sunday. Making up my mind to simply not drink is so liberating. My confidence level is much higher and there is no shame every morning when I wake up. We are all just one decision away from making that positive change in our lives. I will NOT be spending my Sunday afternoon sneaking drinks until I pass out at 9 pm. DONE with that insanity!

Comment

Originally posted by Rava View Post
                            We are all just one decision away from making that positive change in our lives.
                            This is why I think there is always hope, Rava. Rock bottoms of all sorts can force a person to think differently in an instant but like most people here, it is also possible to just decide you just can't live this way anymore and do what it takes to change and to solidify the new way of thinking (e.g. Lavitude :smile. You're sounding like you know you've made the right decision. I'm really happy for you :hug:.

Comment

Originally posted by Rava View Post
                              Good Morning ! I am enjoying reading all the responses and getting to know more of you slowly. Its a process! I am not familiar enough to address each person, but I sure do like getting to know you guys. Yesterday BBQ went well. It was actually kinda cold and we stayed 3 hours. No drinking at all. So that was good. Today is just chilling and maybe watching some reality tv. No plans to drink today. Wishing everyone a great Sunday. Making up my mind to simply not drink is so liberating. My confidence level is much higher and there is no shame every morning when I wake up. We are all just one decision away from making that positive change in our lives. I will NOT be spending my Sunday afternoon sneaking drinks until I pass out at 9 pm. DONE with that insanity!
                              Just wanted to tell you congratulations and you are doing great! It is so liberating once that debate is out of your head. You don't have to think about when, how much, will anyone notice, etc. It is great. Plus the wonderful way to wake up without the shame! My first year, the first thing I did every morning was go to the Newbies Nest Roll Call and make my commitment. It really helped me knowing I had marked down my day of not drinking.
                              You are doing great!!
                              Last edited by NoraC; July 8, 2018, 12:29 PM.
                              AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Yeah, NoraC, I used to do that too. Everyday I would post in Newbies Nest Roll Call and make my commitment, it really helped me and the days add up quickly.

Pav, it was My puke... I would puke, black out and get hangovers. I can't believe I did it as long as I did. I was a terrible drinker.

Rava, You are doing great! Like NS says Lavitude- a new way of thinking.
                                Belle- day 128, yippee!!! Good job

Thanks Wags, I am enjoying the Stampede AF, since I don't drink all is good.

Well, I have to take a technical exam as part of a job interview right now so I gotta go.

NS, Byrdie, Ken- yes, I love the idea of just having a job and not thinking about the whole 'career' thing. It makes it much less stressful. That really helped me NS (you are the best).

Has anyone heard from G Man?

Don't drink today- xo

Ava, it is so nice here. We are having the perfect weather right now, I will try and remember this when we get to -20C in November.
                                Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                                "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Working...
                                X