Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Morning nesters

LC, maybe now with more sober time under your belt you want more. I notice a lot of us on here once sober want more than before and feel we are more than capable of moving on and being productive without the al shame hanging over our heads. I know there is no way in hell i would have been given a promotion if i had still been drinking and i am doing accounts/billing for patients now as well as everything else. who would have ever thought i would be doing that but since my head is clear i worked my way around it and its doable. I work with all young doctors and i do feel a tad older but in a way they look up to me as i have been in this job for 11 years so i appreciate the respect and the advice i can give. i dont want to be their age nor as busy as what they are. You will figure it out. i gave up drinking 4 months before my 50th. turning 50 wasnt why i initially stopped, that was killing myself by drinking but i am so glad i did.

Over, great work on getting through that urge and coming on here. i was a lunatic posting when i first stopped drinking but i knew i had to be accountable to someone. Like Pav i read a lot of the threads on here and doco's on alcoholism which reinforced why i really didnt want to take that first drink and lots of showers! cleanest recovering alkie in the world! We have al in our supermarkets and at least 6 bottleshops near me, i used to rotate with them so no one would think i drank but id forget which store i went to. I still dont like going into a bottleshop, it overwhelms me.

Rava, keep on here and be accountable. left to our own devices never seems to work. that al voice will always win in the early days. You can do this.

Belle, 158 days that is great. Time flies and of course you wont drink.

Byrd, i hope you can retire, you need to focus on your cake baking and enjoying that. I agree that lots of stress brings on those drinking thoughts but your head is in the right place and you are accountable.

I have a new registrar at work that is a know-it-all and is driving me nuts. not sure he does much work but he sure does project how knowlegable he is. 4 months and 26 days till he finishes his 5 month rotation. i had to go home early yesterday as he just goes on and on and on, havent seen him do much work though. the doctors will sort him out at some stage if i dont kill him before then.

better get back to the salt mine. take care x
    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

My new kittens *Mittens and Silverbelle* are adjusting well. I plan to celebrate by ether getting some chocolate milk or take myself out to eat at a place that does not serve alcohol. Over it I am proud of you for making it through without drinking. I really wanted to drink so bad Friday night due to losing Pepper, but I knew what would happen if I drank. I took a walk and made sure that I kept my wallet at home and kept close to MWO and I made it through. If I could make it through losing a 3rd cat within a year without drinking when your quit was only at week 1 then you can make it. Just take it one day at a time. AL is not worth it.
      I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Hi nesters,Drifty,glad your new kitties are adjusting Overit,fabulous job on not giving in to ugly drinking! Byrdie,I'm glad you can come here to vent,it's not nonstop complaining it's healthy venting I could vent today nonstop,just been one of those days that feels kinda creepy and people are extra grouchy almost like when it's a full moon,probably would be a day I'd use as an excuse to get crunk(crazy drunk) but nah,that sounds grosser than my gross day,treated myself to some Enlightened red velvet,high protein "ice cream" its pricey but worth it Slo,glad you're working out the back pain,ugh nothing worse,,well a hangover for me would be worse! Have a great day/night all
        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

[MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION], I'm so glad the techniques in the book are helping you! Narcotics weren't even touching the pain I was in and I was getting pretty desperate. Not knowing how else to help, my daughter brought home a stack of books from the library and thankfully, that was one of them. It was also by far the gentlest and easiest technique. [MENTION=21027]wagmore[/MENTION], I highly recommend the book for acute or chronic problems but definitely agree with [MENTION=8356]Lavande[/MENTION] that what you eat and drink matters. Alcohol is highly inflammatory but luckily, we all don't need to worry about that :smile:. When I occasionally eat sugar or crappy carbs, the arthritis in my hand invariably flares up. Giving up dairy might improve things even further but that is where I get a lot of my calories! It would be a tough one for me to let go. But, I would if I have to. We all know it is possible to give up things your goofed up brain tells you you need to even live!

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

I had an OK day but it is WAY too hot outside. I feel sorry for the animals & keep treating them to cold or icy treats to cool them down. Grateful for the AC, no kidding!

So many great posts today, happy to see everyone

Rava, getting right back on your plan is the way to go. Speaking of plan, maybe you can make some adjustments to cover your drinking triggers. That's how I got the job done. Stick with us, you can do this.

LC, I started having hand & knee pain when I was still in high school - just a kid. I had no idea why or what to do about it though. In college (nursing) we learned about inflammation, the possible causes & things you could do to help yourself. There were no NSAIDS back then. Only over the last 20 years or so have I come to realize just how important it is to alter your diet until you have a reduction n pain. For me dairy & sugar are problematic so I have eliminated all dairy & most sugar. I can always tell when I have over-indulged in sugar - I HURT! Like NS said you need to try eliminating possible pain trigger from your diet until you get a better idea of what it is that your body cannot tolerate.
            You by far are no dinosaur - that's my tagline, ha ha!!! I am turning 65 in December but don't tell anyone

Overit, I am glad you worked your way thru the drinking thought. We don't drink, right?

Byrdie, I hereby demand you put in your retirement papers, preferably by 12/31/18!!!
            I hate seeing you so stressed. Take care of yourself, please.

Wags, I did actually have a fox free, black snake free day today, yay!

Hello to everyone, Pauly, Pav, kensho, Alison, Belle, Ava, Slo & anyone I may have missed.
            Let's all have a safe night in the nest!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Originally posted by available View Post
              Morning nesters
              Over, great work on getting through that urge and coming on here. i was a lunatic posting when i first stopped drinking but i knew i had to be accountable to someone. Like Pav i read a lot of the threads on here and doco's on alcoholism which reinforced why i really didnt want to take that first drink and lots of showers! cleanest recovering alkie in the world! We have al in our supermarkets and at least 6 bottleshops near me, i used to rotate with them so no one would think i drank but id forget which store i went to. I still dont like going into a bottleshop, it overwhelms me.
              I used to rotate also. But it got embarrassing when I hit #1 at 6AM, #2 at noon, and then #1 again at 6PM
              The easy way to quit drinking?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw

Comment

Drifty, those are really cute names for your kittens! I hope they are a comfort to you after the loss of the other ones.

[MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION], so glad you are here! Have you ever tried l-glutamine? It helps with cravings and blood sugar imbalances. I take two chewables, one in the morning and one in the afternoon, and also carry capsules in my purse in case I need to dump the powder out under my tongue for a strong craving.

Byrdie, I can’t wait until you can take that job and shove it! If you’re gone to all these trade shows, then how can you be expected to handle so much back at the office? I don’t suppose it would do any good to point this out to a manager.

[MENTION=20476]KENSHO[/MENTION] & LC, you’re right, my mentality has changed finally around drinking! Alcohol won, I lost, and I’m tired of it and don’t feel like dealing with it anymore. I don’t care so much if others can drink and I can’t; it doesn’t do to their body, mind, & spirit what it does to mine, and I don’t want the burden of having to deal with those effects anymore.
                Last edited by Slo; August 8, 2018, 07:08 PM.
                Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Good Morning Nesters. I am on day 2 and waking up this morning unhung feels damned good. [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION] thanks for the recommendation on the L glutamine. I will get some at Walmart today. I am glad that I keep coming back. Last night I spent a lot of time reading thru the forums, toolbox and other threads. So much helpful information and knowledge on this site. Trying to do some meditation too. Also watched the Rain in my heart videos which were eye opening. I dont want this addiction to take me down the rabbit hole. So here I am again. Humble and determined to get this right. Two four year sober stretches should help me know what sobriety is like. I need to think back to those times more. Life is so much better without all the brain chatter about drinking, sneaking and lying.

Comment

Hi All, Just a quick check-in before work. Looks like everyone is doing well! [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION]...keep racking up those days. Try to remember how good you feel today on day 2, and don't forget how bad you felt on day 1. [MENTION=20191]Pavati[/MENTION], yes my son decided to go away to college. We took a vacation wrapped around a trip to the college he wants to attend to solidify things for him. We had a wonderful personal tour, and of course last stop was the bookstore. After buying a bunch of shirts and college logo stuff, my daughter said what was on my and my husband's mind, but we did not know how to say it: "So.......now that we bought all this stuff, are you going to go to college here?" I'm not sure exactly how he grunted out the answer to nosy sister, but it was in the affirmative. He now has his dorm assignment and class schedule. yesterday he contacted one person he knows that is going there for the same program. She added him to a group chat for freshman in his major, so now he is hooked in with a community. it is 2 weeks and counting and I am ready for a few blips before he heads off. [MENTION=20191]Pavati[/MENTION], sounds like your son will have a smooth transition. Anyway...good luck to the both of us!

So...idk why, but in the shower this morning I had a stupid random thought...after my daughter gets back to school and it is the fall, perhaps it might be a good time to celebrate with a drink. Wait. What? What!!! Where do these thoughts come from. I almost had to laugh at my al brain for coming up with that one.

Sometimes it seems easy, but I think that is when we must stay the most vigilant.

Have a good day all
                    BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Hi, All:

For everyone considering "one drink," or "I'm cured," I suggest the Relapse in Retrospect thread that has been bumped up. It seems SO EASY to just say Well, i'm cured! The brave folks who have shared their stories there have helped me a lot. I NEVER want to go back to day one. As a former poster said once, "if only one, why not none?" Why would I risk it all for one? I know I ALWAYS wanted more...

Belle - it seems my son is doing everything he can to make us almost want to kick him out of the house before he leaves. We are all looking forward to his not living here! I love him and had a great time on vacation with him, but here it is dishes in the sink, missing appointments, towels on the floor, etc. He found out he is going to be housed in a quad - yikes! I can't imagine living with three others in such a confined space, but he's excited.

Byrdie - I think you could definitely supplement your income with baking when you retire. Your cakes and cookies are so pretty, and that sort of stuff is in high demand. Byrdie's Bakery?

I am having trouble reconnecting after that last vacation. I am having trouble digging in to the work I know needs doing but I don't want to do (hmmm, where DOES my son get it??) I hope today is better...

When I was on my way home for vacation, I was stuck in a mismanaged line for a LONG time at the airport. Everyone around was grumpy and pissy, and I was about to go there when I said to myself - it is all in my attitude. I accepted that I would be there, no matter what my mood, so instead of angry kvetching, we told jokes, reminisced about the vacation, talked to others in line. It was a tribute to my cousin who always has a positive attitude, and wow did it help. It really was just a slight shift in my frame of mind, and suddenly my two hours in line was a lot more pleasant. Trying to keep that in mind as I go through my day - Lavitude and gratitude.

Take care of yourselves and stay sober no matter what!

Pav

Comment

HI NEST!

Pav, I've adopted that same attitude with driving in traffic. I drive a lot and sometimes it's 1 hour each way in increasingly bad traffic. It's become a time I get to myself - to listen to what I want and reflect on my day. The traffic just "is".

Cheers to all of you having kiddos go away to college. I am not there yet, and I can only imagine the emotions with everything around it. Probably relief and stress and sad and excitement...

RAVA, so proud of you for deciding you want to be here and reading. It takes commitment and work to get through this process, and you are exhibiting both! All I can say is KEEP GOING. In the beginning, I think we have to just get through any way we can muster with a little bit of blind faith. It's after some days rack up that we start to notice changes in ourselves and our lives that we couldn't have possibly imagined at the start. You have to believe and trust that life gets better and just keep putting one foot in front of the other. I have reveled in the little delights that have come as I stay AF - some very big things, and lots of little seemingly subtle things that add up to be substantial. Just don't drink today. And keep that ONE goal for yourself and you will change your life and never regret it!

SLO, you sound like you've come to some acceptance that alcohol will never win. That is SO true!!! Good for you! Remember that always!!

OVERIT, it's funny about "rotating". When I was trying to quit in the beginning, I had a habit of downplaying my level of alcohol abuse. But the further away I get from booze, the more I realize the extent of my "little problem". I also rotated stores... I didn't want our nearest one thinking I drank every night. Clearly, if you don't want anyone to know something, you know in your heart that it is wrong and unhealthy.

I met a friend for coffee this am. Trying to balance my life more and keep up on friendships and have time to exercise and read and do the things that make me love life. I'm taking an online course geared specifically for designers, and I am amazed at how relevant his topics are. Yesterday he explained work and life and the two strands of DNA. They have to balance each other. If one gets out of balance, either one atrophies and suffers, or it fights the other and creates chaos. The trick is to integrate them both so they work together and encourage the best of both worlds. My life lesson :eek-new:

Have a good day!
                        Last edited by KENSHO; August 9, 2018, 11:40 AM.
                        Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Yep, another hot day here but it is August
                          Grateful for no special wildlife sightings today in & around my chicken house.

Thinking back to when my kids went to college, hmm. My daughter went first & decided to attend a college way across the state. I actually missed her because she had matured enough during high school & we were friends. I felt very lonely being the only girl in the house, even the dog was a male. She decided to transfer after her first year to a college near home so she lived at home for the nest 3 years & commuted. it actually worked out OK. My son had no desire to go to any college away from home so he commuted to another nearby college. We hardly ever saw him but we knew he was OK, ha ha! I really was surprised that they chose local colleges, I guess they liked us after all
                          I guess my best tip for those of you dealing with college age kids is just try to go with the flow - things change & sometimes it is OK.

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Good evening, nesters.
                            There isnt a doubt in my mind that one drink would lead me right back into AlcoHell. Its my personality, I canr eat half a candy bar, or two crackers in a pack of six, I want the whole thing. I know one drink would set all those awful wheels back in motion.
                            What a day, Friday is in sight! Hugs to all, Byrdie
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Originally posted by Byrdlady View Post
                              Good evening, nesters.
                              There isnt a doubt in my mind that one drink would lead me right back into AlcoHell. Its my personality, I canr eat half a candy bar, or two crackers in a pack of six, I want the whole thing. I know one drink would set all those awful wheels back in motion.
                              What a day, Friday is in sight! Hugs to all, Byrdie
                              I was just thinking that today. I am exactly the same way. One is never enough.
                              "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                              AF - 7-27-15

Comment

I had to interface with my mom today, and it wigged me out again as usual and knocked me off center. I get so nervous talking to that drama queen and trying to deal with her lack of listening, endless talking, exaggerations, half-truths, & gossip. Then worrying about what kind of a spin she’s going to put on what I said when she gossips to someone else.

But this evening I was able to talk to my sister about it and the various family issues, and it glued me back together again. Fragile Humpty Dumpty is all back in one piece.

It’s amazing how much I don’t feel the need to drink if I can express my truth and have it be heard and validated.

Goodnight, everyone.
                                Last edited by Slo; August 9, 2018, 08:49 PM.
                                Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Working...
                                X