It’s Friday tomorrow, yippee!
    Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
    "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Re: Newbies Nest

Hi, All:

So happy it is Friday! No ticket to Boozeville here...

Originally posted by KENSHO View Post
      OVERIT, it's funny about "rotating". When I was trying to quit in the beginning, I had a habit of downplaying my level of alcohol abuse. But the further away I get from booze, the more I realize the extent of my "little problem". I also rotated stores... I didn't want our nearest one thinking I drank every night. Clearly, if you don't want anyone to know something, you know in your heart that it is wrong and unhealthy.
      Ah, yes, Kensho. I spent the requisite site lurking here before I joined, and my refrain to myself was "I'm not as bad as all of them..." The further away I get from my drinking the worse it gets. "But I only..." I still can't believe some of the tricks I pulled to keep drinking, drink more, etc. And yes, I did rotate, too.

Originally posted by Byrdlady View Post
      Good evening, nesters.
      There isnt a doubt in my mind that one drink would lead me right back into AlcoHell. Its my personality, I canr eat half a candy bar, or two crackers in a pack of six, I want the whole thing. I know one drink would set all those awful wheels back in motion.
      I am with you sister! I am an all or nothing type of gal myself. The half a candy bar is the same to me as the half glass of wine left on a table. Not gonna happen.

I am reading a book that keeps me up at night so I'm flying into Friday a bit tired. I am looking forward to some fun events this weekend!

No drinking on the horizon. Why would I do that to myself and my family?

xo
      Pav

Comment

Its Friday and I have no plans for this weekend besides not drinking.Decided against the festival this weekend but will still be going to the baseball game next week, Next weekend I will be doing stuff but I know with work and faith I will make it through it sober.
        I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Checking in. TGIF. Holy moly, what a week. Looking forward to doing NOTHING for two days. Like you, Drifty, I will be doing it sober! Byrdie
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Happy Friday evening Nesters!

Still dwelling in the land of heat & humidity, yuck. No wildlife sightings today, yay. That's 4 days in a row but I'm still holding my breath, ha ha!

Byrdie, I was watching my grandsons this afternoon but they were busy on their electronic devices & ignoring me. I mixed up a batch of dairy free donuts & when they came out of the oven both boys were in my face, ha ha. Made me think of you & the happiness baking brings
            I hope you have a completely peaceful weekend!

Alison, keeping yourself busy helps a lot. Turn off any drinking thoughts as soon as you recognize them, you are in charge!

Hi there Pav, narilly & everyone. Wishing for a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi Nesters,

just checking in myself as well.. I hear you, Byrdie! I'm beat! Still a very busy weekend, then hopefully Monday free and back home on Tuesday..
              It's been and still is fun.. has gotten better than it was the first day(s).. I'm running on adrenaline now, as is everyone.. but we're doing it together, as a team, so that makes it more manageable..
              I hope everyone is doing well.. having some easy and peaceful days. xx

Comment

Just checking in too.
                Hello,Lifechange, Lav Byrdie, Drifty, Pav. I won’t be drinking this weekend either

I used to get plastered every Friday night, I really looked forward to it. I would think about it and get a rush of pleasure when I knew I was going to drink. Normies don’t get that feeling.

SO glad I don’t drink! Like Pav says.

Yeah, I am an all or nothing gal too. Not just a bite, I want the whole thing. They had chips at work today, I just walked by or else I would have to take the whole bag to my desk.
                Narilly

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

That would be me to. Every now and then I could stop at 2 but most of the time when I drank I drank to get drunk and would be so afraid of not having enough money or time or even enough alcohol to get me drunk. I am so grateful that those days are done.
                  I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Good morning nesters! I am entering day 4 today. So glad to be back on track. Getting my head in the right place is so important. Keeping myself busy today so there is no time to drink. I have all the tools to do this the right way. Hope everyone has a great Saturday!

Comment

Slo and NS - thank you for the further info about the book. I am a big fan of Robin McKenzie's work in general (Treat Your Own Back for one), so I'll definitely check this out!

Belle - those al thoughts have a way of popping up when we least expect them - it's part of al's strategy to catch us with our guard down. Great job protecting your quit.

Alison - love hearing about your kitties. They sound very sweet.

Lav - it has been ridiculously hot here too, but we have no AC (most people here don't cuz we usually only get a handful of 90+ degree days per year). I'll be shocked if this isn't the hottest summer on record for this area. Hope you and your animals are all able to stay cool.

Rava - keep coming back. So many of us have been in similar shoes as yours right now - multiple starts to our quits. The key is reflecting on what happened and learning what you can do differently the next time. Add something to your tool kit, and be sure to pull that kit out and use it (even on days you aren't tempted). Glad you're here.

Overit and Ava - I used to rotate too, usually with a veil of shame over my face because *I* knew how bad things were and I'm sure I wasn't fooling anyone. Every now and then I find myself in a neighborhood that I don't necessarily frequent, and I look up and see one of the liquor stores that used to be part of my rotation, and it just reminds me how far I've come. Good thing we don't drink anymore so rotating doesn't even have to happen.

Hellos and waves to Byrdie, Pav, Kensho, LC, Nora, and everyone else stopping by the nest today. Hope you all have fantastic weekends.
                      Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi, Nest:

Quick hello - on my way out to take the dogs for a walk before I go into work. Too nice to do that, but my next week will be a lot better if I can squeeze in a couple of hours. I have accepted that I will always have some weekend work in my job, and thus I don't fight against it like I used to. I know it has to be done, I chose this job, and my overall week will be better. I got this...

My family are all gone tonight - used to be a big drinking night for me. I think I'll get some good takeout and watch bad TV instead.

xo
                        Pav

Comment

Happy UnHung Saturday, who knew it could start before noon?

I am going to the market and then out for lunch it’s my son. I remember going for lunch/brunch on Saturday’s and being SO hung over, it would be such a struggle and I couldn’t wait to go home and sleep. I am so glad those days are over.

Sorry you have to work Pav. Hey, you don’t have to watch bad tv, I just started watching a show called 7 Seconds on Netflix, the main character is an alkie and it is a really interesting show. I like shows about alcoholics because they remind me why I don’t drink.

I am trying to post here more consistently. It is imperative I protect my quit and hey, I love you guys

Don’t drink today.
                          Xo
                          Narilly

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

I used to rotate, too! Unfortunately, the liquor store employees would switch stores and Id be mortified when I ran into someone from my HOME store. Those werent the days.
                            Relaxing today and loving it. I feel guilty for not working (Im so far behind) but to heck with it, I say!
                            Happy Sattidy, all, Byrdie
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Well done Rava. I am at 2 weeks today and I am so grateful for you all. I would be at week 1 or even Day 1 if it was not for you all.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Wow, we just had a real tropical like thunder storm here that dumped 1.5" of water in < 7 minutes!!! And I pretty sure there's more storms on the way.
                                No animal sightings, 5 days in a row now ~ nice

Pav, I worked every other weekend & every other holiday during my nursing career. My husband had a similar schedule too so the family just had to deal with it but it worked out fine. As a matter of fact both of our kids work weekends, rotating shifts, etc. I hope your day wet well.

Rava, good to see you moving forward on your plan, Alison too

Byrdie, I'm kinda taking it easy today too & I don't feel any guilt whatsoever, LOL

Narilly, I still check in daily too - it became a habit 9 1/2 years ago & I'm not changing that now!

Hi there Wags, I hope you get some cooler weather soon. Keeping us & the birds & dog cool is a big priority this summer. It has been awful.

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09
                                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                                X