Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Good Sunday Morning in the nest. Waking up unhung is awesome. Spending the day at a cookout but I have no worries that I will drink. I just keep reminding myself that I don’t drink anymore. My head is on straight right now and I feel focused. But I will not let my guard down because its way too easy to slip up. Hope everyone has a great day!

Comment

Originally posted by Rava View Post
      Spending the day at a cookout but I have no worries that I will drink. I just keep reminding myself that I don’t drink anymore. My head is on straight right now and I feel focused.
      Good attitude, Rava! I’m spending the day around drinking too. -not sure why a baby’s 9 am baptism with luncheon to follow includes drinking, but I’m sure it will. It will be good practice for me!
      Last edited by Slo; August 12, 2018, 06:40 AM.
      Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Hi, All:

Rava and Slo, I'm off to a 50th Birthday Brunch that will certainly include alcohol, So I'll be around alcohol all day, too. (Narilly - I would go hungover and have another drink in the "bad" old days.) So grateful that I can have fun, enjoy the food calories, drive home and still have the rest of my day (instead of napping or drinking even more). Phew. Glad everyone feels strong.

Drifty - Happy you're hanging in there. Hope you're having a great day.

Thanks for the perspective, Lav. It is what it is. We rarely get storms like that, and almost never in summer. If it was not destructive, I would actually like to experience a storm like that. I love the rain, and love warm rain. I hope everyone is ok so I can enjoy the thought of a warm summer downpour.

Off to get a little house cleaning in before the brunch. Happy SOBER Sunday,

Pav

Comment

Just a quick fly by to check in un-hung and AF for another day. Hope you all have (or had) fabulous Sundays!
          Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Happy Un Hung Sun!
            Pav, good thing you don’t drink. I say that to people all th time, it’s amazi how it has become my new normal after 40 years of drinking.
            Hello Wags, nice to see you fly by
            It’s storming here too Lav, crazy weather these days eh?

Rava, SLO, yeah those drinking events come up way too often. Everything includes drinking these days. I guess the big alcohol companies have to make as much money they can no matter the human cost.

Don’t drink today.

Hello Ava, G, Byrdie, Life everyone.
            Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
            "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Morning nesters

i hope you all had a nice time not drinking at the events you had to go to today. I spent a lovely Sunday catching up with my eldest daughter and having lunch then my son came with me to the shops to get some photos printed as i am not tech savvy in that respect and would probably still be sitting there figuring it out. i needed some photos of my fur baby to put on her urn. Damn i miss her.

today is Monday and i have an 8 hour training course. I finally did receive the modules so they are done and now to learn. This program for the hospital looks bigger than ben hur so i hope it doesnt collapse. i will be a super user so can train others. who would have thought that. i know if i had been drinking nothing would have gotten past the al in my brain and sunk in. nearly time for a pay rise i am thinking!

Off i go to find the hospital and room where i have to study.

take care x
              AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

I also had an invitation to a baby baptism today which we totally blew off. Our niece had a baby (which I sent gifts to when she was born) but we will likely never see tis child. Our niece hasn't bothered to visit us in nearly 15 years so...…. My daughter, granddaughter & SIL just left, they didn't go to the baptism either. We had a great afternoon visiting, a good dinner, just a pleasant time
                I think we can safely assume that AL will be at every event, even a religious one so getting our minds in the right place is vital. It's rough in the beginning but the longer you are AF the more you want to remain AF -it's just that simple

Great to see everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi, All:

Well, the brunch was alcohol-free. One of our member was hungover, one was tired, one had jet lag, and one just had some sense. I was shocked, but we still ate good food. I had a specialty Kombucha (you can find those more and more in CA) which was expensive, but it was fun to treat myself to a drink. Still cheaper than booze, and it is pro-biotic and low sugar.

So sorry, Ava. Nice that you'll have a picture with her ashes.

Happy Monday!
                  Pav

Comment

Originally posted by Pavati View Post
                    . I had a specialty Kombucha (you can find those more and more in CA) which was expensive, but it was fun to treat myself to a drink. Still cheaper than booze, and it is pro-biotic and low sugar.
                    The expense is what led me start making it, Pav! Plus, you can experiment with any flavors you want to try. My only real dud was mint -- it tasted like we were drinking toothpaste! I have a bunch of scobies that I can't bear to "kill" so let me know if you want one. They can be shipped after draining and seal-a-mealing. Did yours that I sent you work, [MENTION=20476]KENSHO[/MENTION]?

Comment

I am not really into Sushi but my brother is big into sushi. If he could, he would eat it everyday.
                      I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

More rain last night, quite a bit actually. Surrounding communities are experiencing flooding at historical levels. Such a shame, grateful we have no problems.

I don't east sushi either Alison.

NS, I tried making kombucha for a while but actually found it wasn't agreeing with me so I let it go. I just have to stick with the things that leave my gut in peace

Pav, glad you had a good time, good food & a specialty drink! Sounds nice

Hello to the rest of the gang & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Glad you were surprised with an alcohol-free brunch, Pavati! And even found a fun drink besides.
                          Mine certainly was not. Everyone hit the beer right away in the morning, the iced tea & lemonade was offered with vodka to spike it with, wine with lunch.
                          But I was part of the culture that was happy to drink at every event, so now I’ll have to live with it!
                          It was good practice for learning this foreign skill of how to get comfortable socializing without alcohol. I was hitting up the desserts, caffeine, & food way too heavily in order to compensate; hopefully that will get better with time.

Lavande, sorry you’re going through the pain of feeling snubbed by family so didn’t want to meet the baby at the baptism.

My hat is off to all of you who are struggling with the difficulties of work-life balance and finding solutions:
                          Byrdie using the weekend to relax as you should,
                          Pavati re-framing that some weekend work will benefit you with a smoother week ahead,
                          Kensho realizing the need to balance the two like a double helix (and it will be easier once the kids go back to school!)
                          Wagmore having to plan way ahead for a day off to fit in a day for bike training,
                          Life change handling that lengthy physically demanding job away
                          Available switching into a better job but now with new responsibilities

You’re all doing it without resorting to propping yourself up / numbing yourself out with alcohol!
                          Last edited by Slo; August 13, 2018, 10:33 PM.
                          Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Hi, Nest:

Wow, NS, you MAKE Kombucha? That's a step above - here I was feeling smug about drinking it (once in a blue moon). And you send the culture out? Does it smell when fermenting?

(I for one LOVE sushi. I love all Japanese food, actually.)

Just checking in. Not much to report. Thanks for the support, SLO.

Take care of yourselves and don't drink!

xo
                            Pav

Comment

I thought Kombucha had alcohol in it? Maybe I just read that somewhere
                              I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                              Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Good morning everyone! Well, I blew it but I'm over it. I went out of town for a few days, to the beach and a concert. But man! Drinking is not for me. I didn't like it and I didn't like how I felt. Here I had been feeling sorry for myself and anxious about not being able to drink and it was TOTALLY not enjoyable. This was the first time I was sober since I left my husband and I guess I really enjoy it. I love waking up each day ready to go, use my mind, feel good, be able to go anywhere at anytime.
                                The easy way to quit drinking?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw

Comment

Working...
                                X