Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Well ~ the sun finally made an appearance this afternoon, woo hoo
    SO much rain this summer, a ridiculous amount of rain.

Wags, our continued AF'ness truly is a gift that keeps on giving
    Since I vowed to make this my last & forever quit I have not found a single reason or occasion that AL would have made better. There have been lots of good times & lots of bad times too. AL would not have improved any of those situations. We all have more reasons to keep our quits going that we initially realize.

Kensho, you really do sound overbooked, goodness. I remember those days but am grateful they are over, ha ha! Hopefully as the summer comes to an end you will have a chance to catch your breath! You are doing great at 8.5 months, very nice!

Hello to the rets of the nest &wishing everyone a safe night ahead!

Lav

Oh, no snake or fox sightings today, yay!!!
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Rainy day here to. Perfect way to stay home and not drink. Course I wouldn't be drinking since its a work night but I have been having urges the last couple of days so I know that I need to keep my head up and my fight going strong. AL will not do any good for me.
      I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Good Tuesday Morning nesters! I have been laying low due to another mess up on Friday night. I immediately got back on track and today is day 4. Onward I go wanting to be sober. I have been reading all posts and staying connected to this site even tho I have been quiet about it. I find it helpful. Being remorseful is getting old. Time to stay focused.

Comment

Hello everyone,

[MENTION=20476]KENSHO[/MENTION], I’m with Lav in that I’m glad I’m done with the pressure cooker of working & raising young children & managing a household & keeping a house all at once. If your husband did all that you do then he’d be “acting like a grandpa”. Good for you for seeking a sane balance instead of pushing through with the aid of the crutch of alcohol.

[MENTION=23208]wagmor[/MENTION], thank you for your wise & wonderful post. It does take an awful lot of energy for us to acquire, drink, hide, & recover. And, it takes a lot of energy initially to quit. I just want to use my meager amount of energy for other things now instead of this constant cycle. I’m burnt out from it. So, on balance, a sober life is the better life for us!
          Last edited by Slo; August 21, 2018, 07:53 AM.
          Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

SLO HAS 30 DAYS!!!!!!!!! WHO HOO! That's no small feat my friend - you should be very proud of yourself! This is just the top of the iceberg as to life improving without alcohol - stick around to see the really good stuff!

I'm up early and off to the city all day. My internet barely worked most of yesterday so I slogged through the afternoon wanting desperately to be productive and just not making much progress. I just need to check some stuff off my list. Ug!

I have about 10 minutes of peace left this am - so I'm going to do some stretching and yoga. I have to fit it in where I can. Sometimes I think about the person I was when drinking... I was still me, but lost very deep inside a shell that was always seeking a drink. I was such a smaller person then; unable in so many ways to handle the things I do now. I always felt like a victim of something, but I was too wrapped up in my coping mechanism of alcohol to actually deal with any of it. Now I'm proud to act like a Grandma - or whatever a sane, wise, nurturing person acts like - so call me that all you want! LAV happens to be a grandma, and she's an absolute rock - so... compliment if you ask me.

Have a lovely Tuesday everyone.
            Last edited by KENSHO; August 21, 2018, 08:32 AM.
            Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hi, All:

CONGRATULATIONS, Slo! Way to keep with it. That is a huge milestone - onward!

Sorry you drank, Rava, and good for coming back so quickly. How can you set yourself up to come here and get support BEFORE you drink?! You got this...

Wags - spot on. One thing I did was not go to restaurants where I couldn't get a drink. Also, I didn't go to movies much in the end because they got in the way of my evening drinking. So much energy to try to make sure booze was in the picture...

Happy Tuesday - take care of yourselves and stay sober!
              Pav

Comment

Originally posted by Pavati View Post
                Also, I didn't go to movies much in the end because they got in the way of my evening drinking. So much energy to try to make sure booze was in the picture...
                Or... load up before going to the movie, doze through it, and desperately read reviews and synopses of the show the next day so as to be able to talk about it. And I remember surreptitiously rewatching shows from the evening before early in the morning so it wouldn't be obvious I had totally blacked it out. What horrible memories those are!

The first movie I saw after quitting was Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, which is really complicated. I was so ridiculously proud of myself for being able to follow the whole thing and even pick up on a couple nuances that passed right over my husband's head. I obsessively listened to the theme song for days after that and even now when I play it, feel very happy :smile:

Comment

Good afternoon, nesters. This may be TMI, but alas....

My little dog follows me to the bathroom. (Sorry guys) She loves to sit there and get head scratches and she grabs bites of the toilet tissue in my hand as business is being conducted. I was noticing her as she feverishly grabs bites of the tissue....she is eating one bite but can't enjoy it for wanting more...and more, to the expense of the bite she has. This reminded me of the hamster wheel that I was on with my drinking. GETTING the drink didn't seem to be enough, I was already worried about the next one, or not having enough. There just isn't anything healthy about the way I drank. Sorry for the visual, but it made me think that this is my 'instinct'. Drink as much as you can as hard as you can. Therefore....I DON'T DRINK! Not one....not ever.
                  Hope everyone has a happy Toozday. Byrdie
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

The rain came back - I knew it would. Everything is so lush & overgrown (lawn & weeds) because it's never dry long enough to do much yardwork. I guess it will have to wait

Slo, CONGRATS on your 30 AF days :welldone:
                    Life is so much better without the beast on your back!

Anyone who wants to call me a 'grandma' will get a smile & a thank you
                    I am proud of my status, a lot of people don't know all I went thru to get to where I am today. I survived a 46 year marriage (lots of ups & downs), a nearly 30 year nursing career, raised two healthy, smart kids & survived a nasty head injury nearly 18 years ago that could have killed me. I survived for a reason so I am grateful that I finally pulled my act together. I won't let anyone pull me into their depression anymore, nope I won't

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                    Last edited by Lavande; August 21, 2018, 06:26 PM.
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Thank you for recognizing my accomplishment! I don’t think I could’ve done it without your support & accountability.

This was a big hump to get over, and I feel so much better now: my energy is so much better, emotions much more stable, sleep is good; I’m not having crazy carb & sugar binges anymore, just regular portions; and I don’t seem to need the l-glutamine regularly anymore. I’m so glad I was able to slog through it!

And soon [MENTION=9396]DriftyAlison0[/MENTION] will be along with her 30 days!
                      Last edited by Slo; August 22, 2018, 07:14 AM.
                      Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Hi, All:

Byrdie - loved that story, and that was about it. Making sure I knew where the next one was coming. Telling myself each and every morning that soon I would REALLY moderate and I would at least not drink that night, only to tell myself after work that I deserved it and would only have a little... I actually can't believe that I kept up with my job through that drinking as I went to work hungover with great frequency. SO VERY GLAD that is over.

Lav - You are amazing, Grandma! Thanks for sharing.

Drifty - how's it going?

Happy Hump Day!
                        Pav

Comment

morning nesters

quick check in for me. been so busy at work and now i am sick with some bug. i have been lucky i have made it through most of winter without getting sick.

Slo congratulations on 30 days. i could not have been happier when i finally managed 30 days. Keep looking forward as life truly does get better each and every day.

Oh Pav i used to do exactly the same thing, wake up feeling like death, hating myself, promising myself i wont drink that day and by 3.30pm thinking and planning that drink and why i deserved it. i always needed a justification of why i needed to drink. i never want those days back again.

Big hello's to everyone. Take care x
                          AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Its going good. Looking forward to a weekend with being able to relax on Saturday and not much going on other then store trips and church. I will be sure to make it another AF weekend but take it ODAAT.
                            I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Hope everyone had a good hump day
                              I had a brand new extra firm mattress delivered today - my granny back & hip has been killing me lately, ha ha!

Ava, I sure hope you get well soon, no fun being sick. Has there been a lot of flu around during your winter season?
                              Take good care of yourself :hug:

Slo, the countdown is on to 60 now!!!

Hi there Pav, Alison & everyone!

Wishing a comfy & safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Slo, congratulations on 30 big days!! Here’s your hat! :guy: We are so proud of you, keep up the great work!
                                Lav, what kind of matress did you get? I think Im looking!
                                Today is my 31 year wedding anniversaty. I owe MWO for this, it almost ended at 24. So grateful for this wonderful place and thankful that I was able to be coachable enough to finally listen. Thank you all! Have a great evening! Byrdie
                                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                                Tool Box
                                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
                                X