Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Byrdie, funny story. I’m thankful for everyone’s stories tonight as it’s been one heck of a few days and I’ve thought that numbing has sounded pretty good. More than once. But there’s nothing healthy about the way I drank either and PAV... what you said. All of it. I don’t want that. So alas, I’ve got to de-stress another way tonight. What will it be? Laugh? Play with the kids? Eat some coconut ice cream?? Start a new book? Maybe all of that. Thanks to you all.
    Last edited by KENSHO; August 22, 2018, 07:04 PM.
    Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Ice cream sounds good to me friend Kensho, even though it's winter here.

Big wave to all.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Happy Anniversary Byrdie
        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Good morning. Coffee makes me happy. I have not had a drink in 256 days. That is all.

Have a good one everyone!
          Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Happy Anniversary, Byrdie! 31 is grand - do you have Baskin Robbins 31 Flavors where you live? Sounds like a reason for ice cream...

Quick fly by today. Hope you feel better Ava. Go Alison. Breathe, Kensho.

Pav

Comment

G-dude - awesome to see you!!! I know you are active on your own thread (which I should maybe go check out???) but I've missed having you here in the nest. So glad you stopped by

Byrdie - happy anniversary and congratulations in more ways than one on reaching 31 years! That's an accomplishment for any marriage, and here in the nest we understand even better how it's a big payoff of your hard work with your quit. So proud of you!

Slo - belated congrats on 30 days! Yep, the cycle you mentioned gets very tiring and it's time to get off so you can reap the rewards of the energy you'll have to devote elsewhere.

Ava - hope you feel better soon!

Hellos and waves to Pav, Kensho, Lav, NS, Drifty, Rava, Pauly, and everyone else stopping by the nest today/tonight. Make it a good one!
              Last edited by wagmor; August 23, 2018, 09:03 AM.
              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Happy Anniversary, Byrdie, and glad it’s a touchstone to reinforce the benefits of being AF for you. I like Pavati’s clever idea of “31 flavors” of ice cream to celebrate your 31 years.

Lavande, have you tried the book that NoSugar mentioned, “7 Steps to a Pain-Free Life: How to Rapidly Relieve Back, Neck, & Shoulder Pain” by John McKenzie? The exercises might help to relieve some of your back & hip pain.
                Yes, it’s definitely on to 60 days for me now -new goal!

My husband has been nice about not keeping beer in the house lately, so I think he has been kindly & quietly supporting me!
                At the restaurant last night his face became dark and he looked sad & mad when the waiter tossed the drink menu onto our table. He likes to order a beer to go with his Mexican food. But he quietly supported me and drank water instead. We were just dashing into a restaurant to eat with our teenage daughter after her swim meet, so I don’t think that needs to be a drinking occasion anyway.

Available, I thought I had dodged the bad flu and the all the other colds & flu that were going around through our long Winter, then caught that flu at the very end when Spring was starting.

Kensho, yes a mug of morning coffee is your treat. Good luck with your day! I hope it doesn’t end up being too stressful.
                Last edited by Slo; August 23, 2018, 09:45 AM.
                Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Good morning nesters. Happy Anniversary @byrdie! Hope everyone has a great day. Planning an AF day for me and working on plans for tomorrow as Friday was my trigger day last week. I dont want to go back.

Comment

Hi Nesters,

Slo, wanted to congratulate you on 30 days of freedom! You are sounding solid in your quit and it's nice to hear your Hubbie is being so supportive.. I love to read about how your sober life is developing..
                    Drifty, I'm also very happy to hear you doing so well in your quit!
                    Happy 31st anniversary, Byrdie!!
                    Wags, how exciting to be planning an Italian bike tour!! Where will you be riding?- maybe you mentioned, but I can't remember..
                    Lav, here's to granny's! And to being proud of our ages and all we've accomplished during that time.
                    Kensho, I'm glad to hear you're finding some "you" time.. nothing better than an Un-hung morning coffee.. did you end up doing "all of it" yesterday?
                    Rava, I'm right there with you, planning an AF Friday.. I've got some freshly pressed apple juice which I like to mix with sparkling water.. my favourite at the moment. You're doing great.. back on track and taking care..
                    Ava, get well soon, dear lady. Hope your man is helping to take care of you..
                    Big hugs to NS, Pauly, G-man, Pav.. hope I didn't miss anyone.

With all the work and intense heat, teenage girls.. (and stupid guy problems) I've been running on empty.. I've got an out of town symposium coming up this weekend until Tuesday, which I'm looking forward to, but which will also be full on. I keep looking into the future for a break, but don't really see one coming up until the beginning of October. So I'm trying to keep my head space healthy (which is challenging!) but so far, so good. Today was tough with drinking thoughts plaguing my brain. I made a strong plan which included coming straight home from work, having a nap, not leaving the house again if necessary, writing in my journal, signing on and actually posting here. I don't know why I can't just write something everyday.. but when I'm sooo tired, it seems too difficult.
                    But I'm never too tired to just say hello..Boo!

Hope everyone has a nice Friday planned.. I'm cooking for a friend and am looking forward to a nice visit with her, as we have a lot of catching up to do. I'm going to try to contain my bitching and moaning to a quarter of an hour or so..:happy2: xx
                    Last edited by lifechange; August 23, 2018, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Yuck, found a snake inside the nest box with a chicken sitting there completely ignoring it...… this summer is making me crazy, ha ha!

Happy Anniversary Byrdie :hug:
                      I think we have had some similar experiences with threatening spouses, etc. Funny thing is mine did leave for a while after I was AF well over a year. He simply didn't want to change himself into what he should have been all along. Things have improved, will never be perfect but I'm OK with it, haha!

Slo, my daughter works in physical therapy & gave me some great exercises to do. I also have a thing that attaches to the thigh & lower leg that helps you stretch properly. They all work fine until I spend a night on the old (3 year old) mattress then everything goes out of whack again. I was MUCH better this morning after my first night on the new mattress

Btw Byrdie - the mattress is Isabella Extra firm. Never heard of it before but I am happy with it so far.

LC, take the possibility of 'a drink' absolutely & completely off the table then you won't have that struggle anymore. We don't drink & that's all there is to it, right?
                      Make yourself a list of healthy rewards/stress relievers...whatever it is you may need. Checking in here daily (whether you want to or not) always helps

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Evening, nesters!
                        Another day living the dream! Good grief, this job, I just know any moment Alan Funt is going to come out and tell me Im on Candid Camera! Its the only explanation.
                        Glad I dont drink! Hugs to all, Byrdie
                        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good morning, Nest.

Originally posted by Slo View Post
                          We were just dashing into a restaurant to eat with our teenage daughter after her swim meet, so I don’t think that needs to be a drinking occasion anyway.
                          Wow, ain't that the truth. There are so many occasions I think about like that. Other places that I have seen as drinking occasions but don't need to be: a little league baseball game (parents drinking in the stands); a pre-prom party where parents are telling their kids not to drink with glasses of wine in their hands; a 7-year-old's birthday picnic in the park... We glorify the alcohol culture and then wonder why our kids want to drink...

Great to see you pop in, LC. Yep, Lav, we don't drink.

Hi, Mr. G, Wags and all you I don't see every day.

Feel better, Ava.

Pav

Comment

TGIF!
                            Not in the mood to work at all, in fact, I may knock off early this afternoon in protest.
                            It's only Friday, nesters, NOT a ticket to BoozeVille! We got this! :rara: Byrdie
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

TGIF. and yes @byrdie its only Friday and not a ticket to boozeVille! I love that. I will remember that tonight as last Friday night I went down a rabbit hole. I am NOT planning to do that tonight. I have already got my night planned and it doesn’t include alcohol. Tomorrow is our neighborhood yard sale so I am planning to get up extra early and ride my bike around looking for bargains. Take care everyone.

Comment

People seem stressed everywhere this week. Must be in the stars. LC, I did eat coconut ice cream, laugh and play with the kids. But the stress hit again when we were scheduled to attend a reggae concert last night (known for children's music) up the canyon via bus. I'm SO (oooooooooooooo) tired of being overbooked. My husband loves live music and I think he tried to hit a record number of shows this summer. This event, however, was not the best. The music was fantastic, but the crowd was awful. It was a school night so there were no other kids but ours, and there was so much cigarette smoke that the kids and I had to find fringes to hang out (and it's a lovely outdoor venue). I can handle the marijuana smell, but I can't handle cig. smoke in my face. The WORST part was how drunk people got. We attend a concert here before and it was a fairly chill crowd. But last night, people were there to get wasted. That's NOT what I want my kids to learn about going to events. I was disgusted - and GET THIS - my husband even commented on how ridiculous it was that people need to get that drunk. He only had 2 beers. Maybe he's seeing the light!

I saw zombies, barely able to stand, holding on to their drinks with dear life just staring forward and trying to "have fun". I'm certain that they would never look at a picture of themselves and say "I want to be like that" - but that they just get going and don't stop. I looked at them and thought, "these are people who don't love themselves right now". I was embarrassed, disgusted, and sad. Why do people want to get that far away from life? I ask this - but I did it, so I should understand. One or two drinks for fun - for those who can handle it (NOT ME), doesn't make me feel like this, but the the can't stand up drunk....Maybe now that I have some distance I see more and more how stupid it is to waste life away. Because it's not just the 4 hours of being drunk - it's the 5 hours before it obsessing, the 12 hours after it feeling like crap, and the injuries from the falls we saw people take, the damage done when they threw up somewhere they shouldn't, the damaging things said and done, and the worst - the time spent not taking care of ourselves. That's the saddest to me - because now I want to be there for myself, and respect myself, and listen to my needs and ask for them (I have work here still) - but at least I'm not completely ignoring me and others because I want to check out.

OK, rant done. The kids loved the music and I think I was able to shelter them from the scene mostly. And I'm ready for a solid freaking week without having to leave early or take a day off.

Keep fighting for sober time everyone. It's the way to live.
                                Last edited by KENSHO; August 24, 2018, 02:40 PM.
                                Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Working...
                                X