Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Hi, All:

Great post, LC. Looking at alcohol through rose-colored lenses is one of the steps of relapse. It isn't fun, but for me it is important to take some time to remember the really bad times with alcohol to help me avoid it in the future. Glad you figured out how to live stream that conference.

Wags - That sounds amazing. I know we are all covered in smoke here - these fires are so scary, and the footage of how fast they travel is mind blowing. Stay safe up there!

Yes, Lav keeps it real for me, too, mostly in the pity party realm as well as not caring what others think.

Thanks for the link. Jude shared this on another forum - "I'm surprised how happy I am..."

Happy Tuesday!

Comment

I will tell them that I do not drink if they offer me any. And as for Saturday my family will not even ask me if I want a drink since they know and are supportive of me not drinking. If I feel that I could cave in I will skip the karaoke on Friday night.
      I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Hi Nesters. Hope everyone is having a good day. Wags, hope you enjoy your fire tower and getaway. Sounds rugged and fun! Congrats on 30 days Drifty. Awesome accomplishment! I am sitting here in the witching hour drinking diet lemonade knowing that I cant add anything to it. I do not want to go down the rabbit hole again. Day 1 is the worst. So no drinking for me today.

Comment

Gads, had a full blown drinking dream last night. I got plastered on red wine. I was so wasted in the dream that it was like an out of body experience. My arms and legs felt like they had lead weights on them, I wanted to move, but couldn’t. I lived that dream more times than I care to admit. Glad I woke up. Makes me appreciate my quit. As scary as those dreams are, I think they help keep me grounded. None of us is above relapse.
          What a day. If I were designing a b*tch, I dont think I could do any better than our order entry person. What a hag. She puts a negative tone on the whole day.
          Hope everyone has an easy evening. Byrdie
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Still dwelling in excessive heat & humidity here, not fun. I am enjoying reading about August snowstorms out west though - there's hope

Byrdie, if you turn yourself towards the water & imagine 32 miles right off of your coastline is the Frying Pan Tower! A guy has been living there for years, he has a great FB page too sometimes with live feed.
            I am imagining a nice sweatshirt or hat embroidered with HAG for your special friend, ha ha!!!

Alison, Congrats on your 30 AF days, keep going!

Rava, focus on the good parts about being AF, make a list

Kensho, hope you enjoyed your work from home day.

Pav, I gave up the pity parties when I went AF. They were getting pretty boring & depressing anyway, ha ha!

Hello to everyone & wishing for a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Back home with WiFi now. It was a quick trip to the cabin for our daughter to take her friends up before school starts. I loved it; being able to be on vacation with non-drinking underage kids, so no drinking pressure at all! It was fun and low-key, and helped to lessen my associations with drinking at that place.

[MENTION=23208]wagmor[/MENTION], I had heard on a TV news show that lookout towers out West are being opened for camping on now. You’ll have a good view!
              Scary though, that it’s likely a view of actual fires.

[MENTION=11704]Byrdlady[/MENTION], too bad you have to work with somebody like that. Yeah, next time you have to take up a collection to get her a gift, have Lav embroider something with HAG on it. Pretend it’s an acronym for something else!

[MENTION=15430]lifechange[/MENTION], thanks for sharing your story. For some reason we need to try moderating for ourselves instead of accepting that it doesn’t work. Meanwhile, we go deeper & deeper into addiction. But, proving it to ourselves probably strengthens our quits.

Best wishes to everyone for your day! Glad you’re able to be back to a regular work routine, KENSHO.
              Last edited by Slo; August 29, 2018, 08:57 AM.
              Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Hi, All:

Drifty and Rava - that's the ticket. Make a plan, stick to it. You're not going to take that drink because you don't drink! Whoot!

Byrdie - yikes to that dream, but for sure a good reminder of why you don't drink (in case you needed one...) Sorry about the hag - what a sad life she must lead.

Happy Hump day.

Pav

Comment

Good morning! Byrdie, I dreamt that I was preparing to get on a "plane/ship" that was headed into space. I was worried I would get motion sick. HA! For someone who absolutely HATES nausea, I sure felt it a lot of mornings back in my drinking days! Glad you are not a drinker - heavy limbs isn't fun either!

I saw beer on the TV a couple nights ago and had a strong urge to have it. Which is weird because I was never really a beer drinker. Strange how things get tapped in our brains randomly. When I get really overwhelmed, or tired, or feel defeated, part of me wants to just "go away" - through alcohol. But the other part of me is stronger now, and it remembers what a shame I was when I was a drinker, not participating in life - just hiding. Glad for that!!

I am taking an online course specifically for my field called "your business or your life" - talking about how to have both and not be consumed by work. I made a dream board last night, showing goals and ideals - and when I stood back, I felt like I have been achieving much of what was there. There's always lots of room to improve - but the point is that I've not been wasting my time away and I feel good about where my life is headed. Kudos to sobriety!!

Keep fighting everyone, and get those tools ready for the tough moments. Get through the first few challenges, and then they get easier, and easier. It's worth every effort to become and stay sober!!
                  Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hello Nesters, logged in after a long time to say hi. Good to see old timers staying strong and inspiring new comers.

MWO has changed my life. And I now a proud subscriber.
                    Rahul
                    --------------------------------------------
                    Rewiring my brain ... done ...
                    Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
                    Rebooting ... done ...
                    Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Hey Rahul! Great to see you! MWO changed my life, too. Ive made some of the steongest friendships Ive ever had right here. This is an amazing place.
                      Hugs to all, Byrdie
                      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Originally posted by Rahulthesweet View Post
                        And I now a proud subscriber.
                        Good to see you, Rahul, and thanks for subscribing. We get what we pay for and I'm concerned that unless enough people are willing to contribute (in any amount), the forum eventually will cease to be. That would be such a loss when you consider all the lives saved here (figuratively and probably literally!). I was drinking pretty cheap junk by the end, but it still cost me much more per week than I'm contributing weekly here. And when I consider the cost of one or more stints in rehab (as if I ever would have willingly gone into one...), there's no contest as to what is the much better deal, even with a large contribution. Some in-person support groups are free but there are the issues of having to give up anonymity and needing to attend meetings at particular times. MWO being available 24/7 made a huge difference to me. I guess this sounds like I have a stake in the company, but I don't! I just believe in it and appreciate it and think it is important to support what matters.

I'm supposedly on vacation but I'm not sure I would call it that when accompanied by two very young boys! It is a lot of fun, though, and I'm so glad it's not being ruined by my trying to sneak around to drink and not be responsible for them after about 5. It is the greatest gift to be fully trusted - and to trust myself. xx, NS

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

NS, I also spent time with my grandsons after school today. I got myself straightened out for the first one & have enjoyed 9 1/2 years of freedom with all three grandkids
                          We couldn't have had this opportunity if we had stayed with our old ways, huh? Glad you had a good day.

Rahul, great to see you! MWO has be wonderful for so many of us!

This was the third day in a row with a heat index of 105 - not fun at all. My chickens really feel the heat too although I try to cool them down with frozen treats, etc.
                          Hello to Slo, Byrdie, Kensho, Pav & everyone.

Byrdie, I'll get to work tomorrow on that HAG design, Ha Ha!!!!

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Morning Nesters!

Just a quick fly by for me while I drink a coffee before waking up the girls. I'm so happy to be Un-hung! Last night my younger daughter and I were playing cards and she said, "Mama, it's so nice to spend time with you again", looked me directly in the eyes and smiled.. she'd been away and then I had. She was in such a good mood, so happy, telling me so many stories, as happens when you spend a few hours together.. the conversation unfolds naturally. That, for me, is the number one reason not to drink. I don't want to miss out on any more.. The evenings when I drank and then passed out, "fell asleep on the sofa", she would at times try to wake me up and I would sit up and mumble something and then fall back to sleep. She would eventually take my hand and pull me up and drag me to bed, then sit her self on the sofa to read till the proper bed time. I only know these things because she would tell me the next morning. That's not the kind of mom or human I want to be. I love how Pav always says, "I realized I couldn't live the life I wanted to live, be the person I wanted to be, AND drink".. !!

So here's to a good Thursday for everyone! Let's make it one we're happy with. Regardless of the HAGs in our lives! (Byrdie, How about giving her a "Big Hag Mug"? You could just leave it on her desk for her with a bag of her favourite coffee or tea?..:happy2:xx

Comment

Rava, so glad to see that you have 12+ days racked up! Hope it’s getting better for you as you approach two weeks.

Kensho, that is great that your life is on track and you are finding good balance, thanks in large part to quitting drinking. It must make the struggle of quitting feel so worthwhile when you can see the progress and benefits in the long view.

Lifechange, my young daughter had gotten old enough to realize that I was drinking and getting drunk, so that was sad. (“Mom, don’t drink too much of that, ok?”) She would spot the hidden bottle, or realize that wasn’t coffee in my mug. Pathetic that I was worrying & burdening my young one, so a big impetus to quit.
                              What card game do you play? Just wondering, as my husband loves a German card game called “Sheepshead”.

NoSugar, I agree that a vacation with two little boys would not be a “relaxing” type of vacation! Imagine trying to keep up with them with the lethargy from drinking!?

Hi to everyone, and hope you all have a strong and easy day!
                              Last edited by Slo; August 30, 2018, 08:08 AM.
                              Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Hey all,great posts from everyone nice to read positive stories about rebuilding relationships,Byrdie sorry about the HAG I have one at work too,,,,actually I think I have a few enjoy the day all!
                                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X