Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Good morning nesters! I am so happy to say that I survived Friday AF! I have got to keep myself in check on that trigger day and attack each friday as it comes. LC, I hope your date goes well. I personally would not elaborate on the drinking. Its your issue and I would personally not share any more for now then you Just dont drink. PERIOD. See how the date goes and decide later how much you want to share. It’s probably not going to matter either way to your date whether you drink or not. People that don’t have a problem with alcohol don’t care. Hope your date is a successful one! For everyone else, I hope this weekend is a good one. It’s raining here but I have a lot of inside stuff to do which will NOT include sneaking drinks. That takes up too much space in my brain....... later......

Comment

Rava, yay, you made it over the Friday hump! So glad for you.

Pav, that is great that you can still go each year on a weekend drinking getaway with your friends and enjoy it sober. It is encouraging for all of us.

Byrdie, it’s September now, so we’re getting closer to the end of the year! The end is in sight. I can’t believe how companies overwork everyone nowadays.

Kensho, finally a free weekend for some needed downtime! I mean isn’t that what Labor Day is for? (a U.S. holiday)

Lavande, I was hoping that your son & daughter had thawed out towards one another since your DIL reappeared (although briefly, barely), and you’re back to busy with your grandsons. That’s too bad that their standoff continues, as it affects you and other family members too.

LC, I have read that book. In fact my twin sister has been re-reading it, especially for the part about how the modern business workplace has been set up to favor extroverted working styles.

Ava, you have a couple things to look forward to with the concert and a warm-weather getaway.
      I think I’ll bring some Phil Collins up on Pandora.

Good luck with your weekends!
      Last edited by Slo; September 1, 2018, 07:05 AM.
      Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

""It’s probably not going to matter either way to your date whether you drink or not. People that don’t have a problem with alcohol don’t care.""

so true, so true, Rava! Thank you for that. Perspective! Both of my last relationships began with quite a lot of drinking (including the first date) and continued on that way..in fact, all of my relationships have, it was assumed we would drink..but that's probably because I couldn't imagine anything different. Of course it should be totally normal to go out for a meal with a date and not drink! Especially on a Wednesday evening.. no reason to have to explain anything.

Comment

Hi all,LC I just wouldn't say much about why you're not drinking at dinner,that's too soon maybe? I also don't really think it's his business right now unless it gets serious down the road but I'm sure others here will chime in,ugh working today,I miss the days when my kids were growing up when Saturday was donuts and yard sale day everyone sounds great! Enjoy your day
          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Rava, you are so right, I have found that only the heavy drinkers want to know why I dont drink. If I go out with a bunch of non drinkers, its a non issue!
            Its a beautiful day today, I had planned to sleep in but this dang dog got me up at 4am. €Â£@#$!
            Planning on doing a cake today, so that should be fun.
            Drifty, you did the right thing, Karaoke will be there when you are ready.
            Happy Sattidy, everyone! Byrdie
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hi all, back from the fire lookout and catching up with everyone here. Looks like many folks are doing well and protecting their quits. Ava trying to stay warm while Lav is trying to stay cool! LC, I think others have hit the nail on the head with regard to your upcoming date. It likely won't matter to him at all, but if it does that'll tell you something BIG. Good to think ahead and have a plan, but then also just be nonchalant about it.

On my end, the fire lookout was freaking awesome!!! It took a lot of hard work to get to it, and I think that helps keep people from trashing it because it keeps casual visitors away. I'll try to post a few pics, but essentially we were on the top of a mountain surrounded by a circle of other mountains. I live in the Pacific NW of the US, which means our big mountains are all volcanoes (mostly dormant, a couple "active" like Mt St Helens which blew its own top off back in 1980). No electricity or power of any kind, and no water (you have to haul your own up there, which is part of the challenge - water is heavy!!!). We really got to unplug from the world for about 24 hours and just watch nature's show unfolding in front of us. We had fairly clear skies and could see in all directions, but then beyond the mountains we could see the haze of wildfire smoke - made the sunrise and sunset more brilliant in color, but also sad to know the cause of that color.

Back in my drinking days I would have planned way in advance how to take al up to the lookout with me. That would've meant scheming and planning what was easiest to carry, didn't need to stay cold, etc etc. Not to mention then drinking so much I couldn't fully enjoy the incredible views I'd worked SO hard to reach. Ugh - once again, so glad to be free.

I've never attached pics to a post before - hope this works!

gold-butte-6.jpgIMG_0900.JPGIMG_0829.JPGIMG_0757.jpg
              Attached Files
              Last edited by wagmor; September 1, 2018, 09:07 AM.
              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

I was not planning on it but at the last min. decided to go to karaoke after all. I had a lot of fun and the best part is that I was sober. I went to bed a winner last night. I was looking at the drunk people and was glad that I was not one of them. Now I am sober and hungover free and enjoying today.
                I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Good morning! I just wrote a big post and lost it, sheesh.

So I will come back later, stay sober peeps.

My job is crazy busy and I am totally exhausted, thank goodness it’s Saturday.

Glad you went to karaoke Drifty.
                  Hello Wags, great pics. So much more enjoyable when you are sober.

I’ll be back!
                  Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                  "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Good evening Nesterds,

Geez, I woke up with two swollen, red, itchy, ugly things around both of my eyes. The eyes themselves are fine. I do believe I am developing an allergy to something.......possibly tomatoes. Of course they are plentiful this time of year but Lav is hoing tomato free for a while

Wags, your pics are awesome! Glad you enjoyed the trip.
                    I have to carry two water cans for the chickens, each holds 3 plus gallons of water, super heavy.

Alison, glad you got thru your Friday nite safely.

LC, I haven’t been on a date for more than 45 years so I can’t help you. I would say though you don’t have to spill the beans all at once, if you know what I mean
                    The chickens are fine, snake & fox free this week, yay!

Hello to all & wishing for a safe night in the nest for all of us.

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Today was successful. Went to a birthday party for my Aunt's son. I had a lot of fun and did not drink. Now I am going to go to bed sober tonight.

Course my AL mind keeps wanting me to drink, and sometimes I start to wonder if these urges will ever go away but as soon as I start thinking that, I remind myself that I have done this before and I know that although they may not fully go away they will get less and less and weaker and weaker and if I drink, they will go back to being stronger. And when my AL mind wants me to make plans to drink I say try again later because its a no now and when later comes I say no again and again. I love the sober life way too much to ruin it again with AL. I am in this fight for the long hall. Having beers may look to be fun, but I know the end results and its not fun. If I want a beer that bad, I can have a NA beer.
                      I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

I tried a bottle of kombucha a few days ago for the first time, and it was wonderful!! SO wonderful...like the sun came out and all was right with the world. My whole body tingled. This was going to be my new drink for social occasions. I finally found a good substitute for wine & beer! This cranberry kombucha even looked like wine!

But I have been feeling low the last couple of days, and craving, and sweating again. Weird! Then I spotted it at Target yesterday, so bought a bottle of the ginger berry kombucha.

I was going to sneak it in to the wedding I have to go to tomorrow, so I’d have something good to drink there, but realized the awkward logistics of that, so drank it tonight instead, for a treat before I had to go to the wine paint bar and stay sober. I drank it kind of fast, and it really hit me. My daughter smelled it and said it smelled like wine.

So I looked at the ingredient list, and it says it has naturally occurring alcohol in it, so do not consume if you are avoiding alcohol due to pregnancy, allergies, sensitivities, or religious beliefs!

It REALLY affected me and had quite a reaction in my body, so it’s not a negligible amount either.
                        My daughter even asked me the first time I drank it if I was drunk! I assured her I was not; I was drinking a healthy, organic, low-sugar, probiotic beverage.
                        So [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] was right about this stuff, at least this Synergy brand.
                        Last edited by Slo; September 2, 2018, 12:10 AM.
                        Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Hi nesters,Slo my friend Det on the abs thread had a setback from kombucha some months ago,so I've avoided it like the plague,I do think it depends on how it's brewed,some places even require ID to buy it but like I said it's how it's made,Wags,those pics are absolutely stunning! Lucky waves to all and enjoy your day
                          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

It must be that some people are more responsive to traces of alcohol than others. I've consumed all types of kombucha (including what I make) with no problems. GT's Synergy makes an "alcoholic" version but you'd know if you bought that - it has a black lid and you have to show your i.d.!! Even that version is very low in alcohol, though (2%), compared to wine or beer. Normal kombucha has to be < 0.5% alcohol by law. I'm sorry it affects you, [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION], because it is a really nice beverage that most people find to be very beneficial in a GI sort of way :wink:.

Comment

Morning nesters

I have the countdown app on my phone till i see Phil, 151 days and counting. Its great to have something to really really really look forward to. Phil is one of us also, apparently after he did something to his back he started drinking red wine and well didnt stop. not sure how long he has been sober for.

LC, i love genesis also especially follow you, follow me. Oh dating, well it was nerve wracking when i first started as there was no al to settle my nerves and of course my eyes were peeled to see if the date was a drinker or not as there was no way in this world i could deal with someone that drank like i did. Lucky for me when i did meet the SO after a year or so of sobriety not drinking was pretty much who i was and i had no issues/problems with just saying i didnt drink and after a few weeks i told him i could not drink ever and explained why. He is not a big drinker anyway so i didnt have the challenge of being asked constantly if i wanted a wine etc and he is very protective of my sobriety as i am. My advice is to just enjoy your date and take it easy. We all want someone in our lives but for me my sobriety was my priority. i met a lot of idiots, a lot who tried to talk me into having a drink and even one that told me he could control my drinking for me. You will know when to say something if anything, i knew that i wasnt going to hide my so called "secret", sobriety was/is my priority and no one is going to take that off me. Just have fun and be proud of who you are.

It was fathers day here on the weekend so we spent a nice few hours with the grandchildren and the SO's daughters.

Wags what beautiful photos, this is where i would like to go for a few years!

well better start work, someone else has come in at 6.30am to work. I do like my couple of hours of peace before the mayhem starts.

take care x
                              AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Wags, what a view! Breathtaking! Im so glad you did that.
                                Drifty, are you a good singer? It takes a nerve to get up in front of people, my hat is off to you!
                                A beautiful day here, didnt do a thing and loved it.
                                Hugs to all, Byrdie
                                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                                Tool Box
                                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
                                X