Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Oh Byrdie!! I still visit the showroom where my “empty” dumpster was! Someone caught me too! Awful memories of sneaking around and having a stash of glass to unload!!

Feeling stressed tonight. Daughter struggling with math. I think I may have to work less and really focus on helping her every night as a tutor would. Or hire a tutor.

Anyhow, hanging in there. Good to see ya G!!
    Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Still looking & feeling quite miserable but I did get in to see a doc today & am now on a whopping big dose of Prednisone. It doesn't work instantly so I need to remain as patient as possible (said the retired nurse, ha ha). I also set up an appointment with an allergist on the 14th. I need to find out exactly what it is I am allergic to ~ besides summer, LOL

Byrdie, nice dumpster, Lol!
      I am so grateful we don't have to do stupid sh*t like that anymore

Hi G, good to see you! You should be glad you can't see me right now. I am fire engine red from my eyebrows down to my upper chest - not attractive at all.

Hi there Wags & Pav. Don't work too hard ladies although I know you are both very devoted to your jobs

Hello to everyone else & wishing for a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
      Last edited by Lavande; September 4, 2018, 06:48 PM.
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

All is well here. Work is going well and being sober it helps me keep my mind clear. My AL mind is already trying to work for Friday night but every week that I do not drink it gets weaker and weaker. I plan to take it easy this weekend and AL is not on the menu.
        I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

I’m glad that the likes of Pav, Narilly, Kensho, & Byrdie all enjoyed 3-day weekends and a break from their work. My daughter started school today, so bittersweet and summer is over.

Thanks for the article that you shared, LC. I related to a lot of it. Like how she goes on health kicks in order to try to lose her want for alcohol. I was in a phase like that last week, and perhaps that is why I overreacted to the kombucha, since I was restricting carbs and adding in too many vegetables and getting into a detoxing state. And tanking my mood. I need to realize that getting rid of alcohol is enough at this point, and don’t worry about anything else!

I had another drinking event to go through sober yesterday evening; watching a baseball game from a luxury box laden with beer. And thankfully laden with food too, as I was feeling flat, nervous, & deprived, so got the munchies pretty badly as a substitute. Yikes. But I found I could still have conversations without my frenemy booze to lubricate the way, so I guess it was a win.

That’s funny about your special dumpsters! I was turning more to cans by the end, so I could crush them into a smaller pile, and not have such a “stash of glass” to get rid of.

Lav, your red reaction seems to have spread. You’re red as a tomato! Hope you’re starting to feel better with the prednisone on board.
          Last edited by Slo; September 5, 2018, 07:38 AM.
          Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Hi, All:

I woke up late and am running out for work. Slo, I like summer, too, and am sad to see it go. I prefer long days and warm weather to pumpkin spice everything!

Glad you could get that prednisone, Lav. Time to start lifting weights.

Ta,
            Pav

Comment

Hi everyone
              This song was written by Cheap Trick but it could have just as well been written by a bottle of alcohol ��
              Cheap Trick-I Want You To Want Me Lyrics - YouTube
              Go as far as you can see.
              When you get there, you'll see further.

Comment

morning nesters

I hope you start to feel better Lav and spring i think is springing here so hopefully your heat will come our way, though not as bad!

Slo, great work on eating and staying al free. food is good for us, drinking is not. I never ate when i drank, i used to joke that wine had grapes in it so i was eating fruit. it took me a few years to enjoy food again but now 6+ kgs later i seem i like it too much. The good news is i accept who i am and my excuse now is middle age puts on weight.

Byrd loved your picture. oh the memories, i used to walk along the street and put my bottles in everyone elses bin. oh the noise on recycle morning from my house was horrendous. All of those sauce bottles from my cooking making clunking noises or so i told myself. i never cooked!

Thursday here and we have had some nice weather the last two days, work is getting annoying, so many incompetent people to deal with atm. Still trying to get the SO away for a break but he doesnt want to go where i want to!

how did your date go LC? You do get used to yourself and own company. I told my SO the other day that life was so much easier when i was single and he looked at me and asked how long ago that was! Well two years nearly but i still have vague memories! where did those two years go.

Kensho, hire a tutor, save yourself the stress.

take care xx
                AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Happy to report I'm seeing improvement already ~ much less facial swelling, thank the gods, ha ha! You can actually see my eyes again - nice
                  I still have no idea what caused this reaction but whatever it is sure has to be eliminated!!! Certainly can't blame it on AL!

Pav, if I was a little younger I'd consider lifting weights (just kidding). Knowing me I'd drop one on my foot or something, LOL

I never lost a single pound when I stopped drinking, that was disappointing. I must have compensated with eating more or some such thing. I know my metabolism has pretty much come to a halt, age related as well. The Curves club I went to 3-4X/week closed down last summer so I've gained a bit more weight since. I miss that place, went for 7 years!!!

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Today was an interesting day at work. Good but just interesting. 2 more days until the weekend and the plans are to be here and relax and not drink. AL is not worth it.
                    I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Lav, Im happy to hear you are doing better! Gosh, I have a real love/hate relationship with Prednisone. It
                      gets the job done. Glad you’re on the road to recvery.
                      Stay strong, all! Byrdie
                      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hi, All:

So much going on in work and real life these days. I need to remember to slow it down occasionally and take some time to re-set my brain. I'm not complaining, just remembering that taking care of myself is a key part of my staying off the grog.

I have a friend in an emotionally abusive marriage. After reaching out to me 1.5 years ago, she quit drinking and has finally gotten the clarity and strength to do what she needs to do to take care of herself. She realized she DOES matter. I know in those dark days of drinking too much we forget that we matter, and forget who we are. Another case where quitting drinking made all the difference in the world.

Onward!

Pav

Comment

Originally posted by Pavati View Post
                          I know in those dark days of drinking too much we forget that we matter, and forget who we are.
                          Well said Pav.

Glad you have some relief LAV!

Dec. 10 will be my 365th day after saying goodbye to alcohol. Thinking about how I will celebrate - maybe that tattoo I've been wanting. I know they're not for everyone, but to place permanent art on my body with the "kensho" symbol, expressing my commitment to myself works for me.

I'm rockin' it today with lots on my plate. We have a few issues... the satellite tv guy is here now doing some work, and then we have a roofing company stopping by for us to sign a contract to get a new roof, and our water heater went out yesterday - getting that installed in about an hour. Son to cello at 4:30, and swim at 5:30 (doubled up today for a reschedule).

Anyway, I'm just keeping' on. And I'm doing it without alcohol. My drinking days seem pretty far away to me now, but I know that it would take one impulse and a need to escape and I could be right back at the beginning. NO THANK YOU!

Best to everyone today.
                          Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Happy to say I pulled out the mineral makeup today to cover the remaining redness on my face to went out to the grocery store & stopped at Walmart. Naturally I ran into a former Curves member - she knew with just one look that something wasn't right with me, ha ha! It will go away eventually or so I keep telling myself. Even with my Rx sunglasses on I am especially sensitive to light right now.

Byrdie, I imagine you have had your fair share of Prednisone. I won't accept a Rx unless I am totally sure there is no other way out of a problem.

Pav, that's great about your friend! AL never helps anyone in any situation. You must be a good friend to her :hug:

Kensho, getting ever so close to that important 1 year mark is awesome. I remember at that point thinking 'why would I mess it up now'? I like feeling empowered in my choices, we all should
                            Your busy day sounds crazy, just like mine used to be when the kids were young.

Hi there Alison!

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!
                            We are having a thunderstorm right now which is supposed to break this awful heat wave - yay!!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Pavati, thank you for sharing the story about your friend. Her drinking was helping her deal with the emotional abuse and rotten marriage, but how wonderful that in sobriety she is finding the strength to get out (with help from a good friend like you). It’s harder to tolerate when sober.
                              My husband was disrespectful & angry towards me twice in a row right off the bat for no good reason when he arrived at the swim meet this evening, so I got up and went to find someplace else to sit. Then I was called upon to be a timer at the meet, and was paired up with a really nice person, so it was much better than sitting with him. And I didn’t bother stewing about it either; it’s not worth drinking at him nor wasting emotional energy on him.

Kensho, it’s so exciting that you’re approaching your one-year anniversary! That sounds like a meaningful way to treat yourself.

I went out for wings & beer with people tonight. At first it was harder to get into it without a drink to immediately relax me like everyone else was having, but pretty soon I could get into it pretty well, especially once the food came. So I could still converse and joke around, even if I wasn’t as loud & relaxed as the others. And there’s still AF beer to enjoy. This is getting easier!

A large amount of rain yesterday finally chased away the heat & humidity, and it was a wonderful Fall day today. Coming your way next, Lav!
                              Last edited by Slo; September 6, 2018, 11:19 PM.
                              Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Hey Slo, you seem to be doing really well! You do attend lots of events that have alcohol in the title - kudos for being so strong. I attended some events too, but there were plenty of times I found a way out because it was too hard too early. Remember that you have this option too, ok? Sorry for the disrespectful husband thing. I drank away my anger at mine for a long time. But once sober, it became much easier to calmly demand to be treated with respect - and mostly he listens now. It's so much easier to respect someone who respects themselves (ie. the sober us). Just keep doing what you need to do for you, and these things will figure themselves out along the way.

To borrow a phrase, TFIF. I look forward to sleep this weekend! My husband and I have a race this weekend - kind of a Ninja Warrior / Mud run. 3 miles and obstacles. I was training well 3 weeks ago, but then life happened and I've not been keeping up. It may be a hard one folks! But still fun, hopefully.

Cooler mornings here now as we head into fall.

So glad to be sober.

Hugs to all!
                                Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Working...
                                X