Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Slo,they passed a law here in NV on October 1 that anyone who gets a dui has to get an interlock device installed with a camera so they can't cheat_about time!
    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi, All:

Pauly! That seems so obvious now, but I guess they didn't have the technology before? Hope you're doing well.

Thanks for the kind sentiment, Slo. I know everyone is busy and has ups and downs. I'm just down at the moment. I'll get back up and stop complaining, I promise.

LC - Hmm. Winter rituals? I'll have to think about that. Maybe if I head into winter (aka the LONG DARKNESS) with a better attitude, I'll have a better attitude. The exercise part is key. I AM a member of a yoga studio, so I need to make that a more regular practice. I like the idea of candles and good music. I really do like to cook and eat soup, so that's a good thing. I appreciate your helping me refocus on the positive.

Lav - thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out.

I am on this food cleanse, maybe that has something to do with it. Mainly it is no dairy, grains or sugar. You're allowed one cheat a week - mine last week was pita at a Mediterranean restaurant. It is very good for me to get out of the sugar habit that I develop if left unchecked. But maybe this is why I'm cranky?? I actually felt better last night, and I'll go into today with a smile. Thanks for letting me kvetch here! Being grumpy is much better than drinking a bottle of wine and THEN being grumpy...

Byrdie - keep passing the choking opportunities...

xo
      Pav

Comment

PAv-the ONE time I tried to cut out sugar was awful! I was down, depressed, felt like I had a hang over, I had a headache, it was awful.
        The easy way to quit drinking?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw

Comment

Morning Nest. Normal day here. Feeling generally well. Good for all of you with the sugar. PAV, I'm GF and DF at the moment too - but I can't entirely beat the sugar. Way to go!

Sharing positive vibes to you all.
          Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

I'm replacing sugar with plant based stevia in my morning coffee. I suppose i can't avoid sugar out there entirely, but i am more conscious of where refined sugar lives in food i eat, and getting my sweet fix from fruit. Still researching and learning about what foods do what to my body and mind. Wide variety of organic veggies and fruits is where i have begun for now. After 4 weeks, i can say i feel really good and head is clearer and i'm lighter on my feet. Not sure where i stand on fish as yet. There's a stand outside a market near me that does a freshly BBQ'd fish sandwich with lettuce, lemon and chillie. Hard to resist! WTG Pav. Hope you feel better this week. Probably hard to tell with your busy work load?!

Day 30. I'm off to gym then a run. All good here. Cannae complain.

Big waves to evabody. X

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good evening Nesters! Just reporting in. Sober and accountable. Back to my normal routine which makes me happy. No drinking for me.

Comment

[MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION], interesting about the new law in Nevada! My cousin’s interlock device has a camera on it this time too. I know because this summer she said we could take her car to take our daughters to the beach since she was parked behind me, and my daughter was kind of uncomfortable with the device in the car. (And by that point she knew her own mother was having major problems with drinking...) I didn’t think about that she would have one or I would’ve driven!

[MENTION=15430]lifechange[/MENTION], my youngest daughter is 15 y/o. And yours are 12 & 16? Thai food and Frisbee sounds fun. Is it Frisbee golf?

[MENTION=20191]Pavati[/MENTION], I was wondering about your cleanse causing your fatigue & low mood too! -but wasn’t sure if you were still on it. It makes perfect sense, as detoxing makes you feel way worse before it makes you feel better. And also, I don’t ever notice you complain.

[MENTION=7261]Guitarista[/MENTION], congratulations on 4 weeks AF, and also 4 weeks of healthy food!

[MENTION=20476]KENSHO[/MENTION], I can’t figure out what DF means. Drug-free? (Haha)

[MENTION=8356]Lavande[/MENTION], thanks for the recommendation, and I signed up for it.

Exercise really does help as a mood-booster, as I just got out for a little bike ride on this 80 degree F day after none for quite awhile (since it got cold and then I was away), and it was wonderful! And just in time before the rain came.

Take care, everyone.

I got it! DF = dairy-free
                Last edited by Slo; October 9, 2018, 06:41 PM.
                Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Lack of sunshine changes my mood & energy level. This detox program that I am on is restricting everything except meat (which I don't eat much anyway), green leafy veggies (no starchy veggies), Dairy (which I haven't used at all in the last 15 years), gluten, grains & sugar. There's only a few fruits allowed like apples, berries, pears. It's a real ho hum diet but it's only a 30 day program so I should survive, LOL

G, yay on your 30 AF days :yay:

Slo, I really hope you enjoy the DailOM course. I have several in my library there & go back & look at them from time to time

Hi there Rava, Kensho, Overit & everyone.

Pav, these seriously restrictive diets affect mind & body. Have a cookie if you need to just boost your mood a little. Hint - I just did

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!
                  If anyone is in the path of hurricane Michael, please be safe & evacuate if told to do so.

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Good Morning Nesters. @Lav, lack of sunshine makes me depressed too. I have a light that I sit in front of each day especially in the winter when the days are shorter. It really does help. No plans for drinking today for me. Its great waking up feeling good and somewhat rested. Sleep has always been a problem for me. Probably because I’m older. OK hope everyone has a great hump day.

Comment

Morning Nesters!

Just waking up here on a warmish Un-hung Wednesday.. We have an intern at work right now and because of that there are too many of us tomorrow.. so I took the day off! Just like that. I asked for it. This morning I was thinking that I sometimes used drinking (subconsciously) as a way to make myself sick, to force myself to get time "off" when it was all too much. Of course, I'd spend the day deeply in regret and wondering if I'd lose my job at some point.
                      Yesterday we had special guests at work (we've known them for years but haven't seen them for a long time) and we sat and had lunch with them and my boss (they are very close).. the conversation turned to not drinking as my boss said he was off alcohol (since Sat.) and the other man said he was going to try for a year (since Monday).. I've seen changes in my bosses drinking and the way it's been affecting his life this past year and am very happy that he's taking notice and trying. In my small world here, at work and with the kids, I do see that there are some people who are looking critically at alcohol and either trying to cut back/stop or not even starting! I hate alcohol. I'm not wasting my precious energy with such emotions.. but still.:happy2:

G-Man, Congrats on 30 days!
                      Slo, my girls are about to be 14 and 17.. it's ultimate frisbee, the younger one plays. She has a blast with it..

Here's to good nutrition and treats when needed, enough sleep, a bit of exercise, listening to our bodies!, positive thinking, re-evaluating and tweeking plans if necessary, adding tools, continuing to discover/recognize what makes us happy (or at least content) and what makes out lives worth living.
                      Hugs to all you lovely people..xx
                      Last edited by lifechange; October 10, 2018, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Snowflakes are falling! Haven't seen any around these parts since about April. Turning on the heat!

Slo, DF is dairy free. But I'm drug free too, unless you count the second hand week smoke I get at concerts. Even that doesn't do much for me.

LC, I hope there is an awakening about alcohol. When I grew up, alcohol was a funny thing that everyone did. Hangovers were giggle-worth. My step-dad told tales of his college years where they had "tea parties", and they offered us a sip of wine at 8 yrs old because "everyone drinks in France". I know they meant no harm, but had they chastised alcohol, I may not have given myself a free ticket to boozeville. It's so awesome that you voluntarily took the day off! I am on the same boat as you that I used to drink to to give myself a break. I also grew up in an environment of "girls can do anything they set their minds to". While this is encouraging, and fits with my ambitious personality, I never learned to set limits for myself. Drinking provided the break I needed from the impossible expectations I'd set up for myself. Now.... I just take a break. You sound good!

G - 30!! Woot!! Keep it up mate!

Positive vibes for everyone out there. Have faith that life is better without alcohol. I promise.
                        Last edited by KENSHO; October 10, 2018, 08:33 AM.
                        Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Mr G, congrats on your 30 big days! Here's your hat :guy:. Wear it loud and proud, friend! I wish I liked fish. There just isn't a healthier meat out there. I live at the beach for Pete's Sake. I remember going to a Chinese New Year party at an authentic Chinese restaurant and plate after plate of fish stuff kept coming out. I was about to starve when the waiter finally brought a plateful of shredded veggies.....or so I thought, he came back and asked me how I liked the Jerryfish! OMG! I don't know what it is about a sea creature, but I just can't stomach the thought. Too bad I wasn't like that with AL.
                          Happy Hump Day, all! Byrdie
                          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hi everyone,

Just a quick check-in to say I'm home from biking across Italy. I'm a bit jet-lagged and have a ton of reading back to do to catch up on all the happenings here, but I'm proud to say:

MY QUIT IS INTACT!

Yep, three weeks biking through Italy where wine flows ike water, but I help tight to my quit and I honestly don't feel like I missed out on anything (except the hangovers a few people had a few days).

So thankful to the nest for helping me build such a good foundation before a trip like this. You were all there in my pocket and this quit success is partly YOUR success too. More updates soon and will post a few pics, but I want to read back and see what's up with everyone else first too.

Happy Hump Day!
                            Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

[MENTION=23208]wagmor[/MENTION], welcome home! That’s great that you were able to enjoy your biking trip through the land where wine flows like water, without drinking it, or anything like it! I’m surprised that athletic trips like that involve so much drinking, but they do.

[MENTION=8356]Lavande[/MENTION], actually I’m kind of worried that your very restricted diet could wreck your metabolism. Someone here (Sunshine? -the one with the bicycle avatar) recommended Matt Stone & his 180 Degree Health website, which introduced me to the idea that food restrictions can cause intolerances, which leads to further restrictions, then more intolerance, and on down the rabbit hole while meanwhile healthy metabolism is getting destroyed. It’s interesting reading.

LC, interesting that other people in your milieu are needing to question the role of alcohol in their lives. It must make you feel “less alone”.
                              KENSHO, I think an awakening about alcohol is a long way off, but you never know, as once the tipping point against smoking was reached, it tipped rather suddenly & forcefully. I do notice some changes in society: for example, in the mid-last century it was common to drink at work and to drink at lunch during the workday, and that has largely fallen out of favor.

LC & KENSHO, wise to notice that we used alcohol to give ourselves a break, and that in sobriety we can still give ourselves the breaks we need.

Rava, glad that your regular routine is helping you to keep it going!

Hello to Over-it, Available, Narilly, Byrdie, G, NS, & everyone else!
                              Last edited by Slo; October 10, 2018, 07:01 PM.
                              Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Good Humpday evening everyone

Saw a little bit of sun today, now we have rain & a cold front moving in. Maybe my AC will be turned off if it stays cool.

Slo, the program I am doing was formulated by an MD, Amy Myers. She specializes in functional medicine & has dealt with her own autoimmune problems. There is some possibility that I may be able to tolerate certain foods that I have had to stay away from after the program is done. We shall see The last 30 some years have been difficult finding suitable food, ugh.

Wags, welcome home! I’m happy to hear you enjoyed your trip AF, yay!!!

Byrdie, Jerryfish, oh GAG, ha ha!
                                Keep an eye on your mailbox for something from me.

Hi there Kenso, Pav, LC, G, Ava, Rava & everyone.
                                I picked up my grandsons after school. They have eaten continuously, done homework, goofed around outside, fought & argued with each other, ha ha. Just waiting for their mother to pick them up, oh boy.

Have a safe night in the nest one & al!

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09
                                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                                X