Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Quick check in. Hope everyone is having a good day.

Comment

Evening, Nesters.
      Pav, Im with you with the parties. Small talk is exhausting. Yes I could down a vodka and diet coke in the blink of an eye. Could also make my drinks EXTRA strong and not worry about it like at home. You know you’re an alkie when you hit the vodka bottle so hard its really noticable at the hosts house. Those werent the days. I hate to admit just how much I did drink, I certainly denied it for years.
      So glad tomorrow is Friday. Hugs to all, Byrdie
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Well, my plan for the day fell thru. My granddaughter apparently woke up throwing up at 4 am, poor kid. So no school for her & no grandparents day visit for me . So typical for this time of year - stupid viruses.

I found plenty to fill in my day & do a little pre-storm stocking up on things. I’m picking up my grandsons after school & keeping them until one of their parents arrive. I hope they get here before the coastal storm arrives or I’ll have them all weekend, yikes!

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all.

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Good morning! It's a chilly fall day here. I've been out with a nasty cold the last two days... gosh this was a bad one. I hope I've met my quota for another few years. I haven't gotten much done with work, but I'm calling that ok. I deserve to take care of myself.

Lav, I hope get a nice gentle snow, rather than strong winds! So great that you are there for your grandkids and family. I was just reading how a big cause of Alzheimer's and dementia is social isolation as we age. What better to do to establish connection than stop drinking so we can actually connect with people?

Good to see you RAVA.

I don't have big plans today - just going to make the "have to do" list and then maybe watch a movie. I sincerely would like to fast forward through our elections here in the US. It's so disheartening what we have become... so focused on winning rather than the greater good.

ANYWAY... Happy weekend and no drinking here!!
          Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hi, All:

Glad you're on the mend, Kensho. I HATE colds - they always turn into coughs for me, and linger forever. Not sure what kind of movie you're into, but I will recommend Meru. It is done by Jimmy Chin who also did the new one Free Solo about Alex Hannold's assent up Half Dome in Yosemite without ropes... Meru is compelling, interesting, and beautiful. Perfect for a sick day because there's not too much plot to follow. I don't know why that recommendation popped into my head, but there you go.

Lav, I'm jealous of your rain if not your storm. We've had BEAUTIFUL weather here as usual for the fall (sunny and in the 70s), but as always we're nervously waiting the rainy season.

Well, TFIF is what I have to say, and good riddance to this week and the full moon havoc. I have a busy but fun weekend ahead. I hope you all do, too. Or relaxing, or whatever you want.

Pav

Comment

Thanks PAV, I'll check that out.
              Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hey nest!
                Kensho, Im so sorry you’re poorly. Being sick stinks and Im not a good patient. I got a shingles shot 2 days ago and that night I had chills and aches. I know it isnt a live vaccine but I cant help butvthink there is a correlation. I felt bad so my heart goes out to you. Here’s to a speedy recovery.
                Lav, Im jealous of your grandbabies, all your activities sound like so much fun. Do they all have their Halloween costumes? I bet they are adorable. NS made some costumes for her grandsons and they were precious! Dinosaurs!
                TFIF here, too! No plans this weekend and loving it! Hugs to all! Byrdie
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

I got word that my granddaughter is feeling much better today but now both of her parents have the virus. Kinda glad I’m not involved in that disaster. I have my grandsons here & they will be spending the night. Should be fun, just hope we don’t lose power when the winds pick up, ha ha!
                  Byrdie, I haven’t gotten involved with making costumes for the kids but I do decorate their canvas tote bags with designs related to whatever costume they choose each year

Kensho, feel better soon!

Pav, we have had just under two inches of rain this month, eight inches last month. Everything is still overly damp around here so I hope we don’t get too much. The weather folks are saying the wind is going to be the biggest problem with this storm, geez.

Hello to everyone else & wishing a safe night in the nest for all.

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Wags, sincere congratulations on making 800+ days.

I hate being sick, Kensho! At least you dodged it, Lav. Byrdie, I guess I’ll have to get that shingles vaccine at some point, even though I try to avoid vaccines, and sure don’t want to be made to feel so sick the day of; but it beats having actual shingles.

I made it through the party last night. The food was divine! -and lots of it, which I relied on to help me through -so not at all like an actual cocktail party where there’s scant hors d’oeuvres. That would be MUCH harder. Pav -good point on participating in an auction while drunk. I have a vague memory of doing that once! (bidding high on something stupid)

You women in the nest with a husband/partner, do your husbands take their shoes off when they come in the house if they have mud on them? Mine just waltzes in and drops chunks of dried mud all over the place. I know it sounds small & petty, but 32 years of this chronic problem with no way to solve it just has me defeated & annoyed. And resentful.

Tomorrow I go to a company picnic, so 6 hours of watching people drink. This event has tripped me up before, but I’m committed to staying sober this time, there will be plenty of food, and I’ll have my own “getaway” car if need be.
                    Thanks for having my back!
                    Last edited by Slo; October 27, 2018, 06:19 AM.
                    Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Slo - great job at the party last night, and here's some added strength to help you with today's picnic. Sounds like you have an excellent plan in place. You've got this!

Lav - glad you escaped the virus circuit, and hope your weather evens out for you all soon

Kensho - glad you're starting to feel better.

Pav - we loved Meru! I'm an avid former mountaineer and still a mountain lover, and I eagerly lap up almost anything that tells a good story such as this one. Have you seen Free Solo? It's on our list for sure.

Hooray it's Saturday here and I have the whole day off!!! Hoping to squeeze in a few hours of bike riding before rain is expected this afternoon.

Hellos and waves to Ava, Byrdie, LC, NS, Rava, Gster and everyone else stopping by today. Hope you all have fantastic weekends!
                      Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Good morning nesters. Good job Slo on your evening and good luck with your picnic today. I’m still listening to the bubble hour and This naked mind while driving back and forth to work. Lazy day today as its raining and foggy. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

My grandsons went home at 10 am this morning, everything went well & the storm wasn't nearly as severe as predicted so we didn't lose power.

Slo, good job on getting thru your cocktail party, hate those things too. So you're heading to an outdoor picnic the end of October? That's unusual, at least around my area. Take your car & any other tools you need to protect your quit - you can do this
                          I did get the shingles vaccine a few years ago & didn't have any reaction at all. We are all different in that respect. I've seen plenty of people with shingles, horrible. We had to isolate them in the hospital. You definitely don't want to risk getting them, horrible stuff.

Hi Wags, you mountain girl
                          Hello Rava, happy to hear yo are enjoying the weekend in a lazy sort of way, ha ha! I am pretty much doing the same thing!

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Same to you Rava! Those sites/podcasts have good info and natter.

I'll check out Meru and free solo. Nature is SO where it's at in the healing game or just to recharge. On a mountain, in the surf, across a desert.....what a blast. Even weeding in a suburban yard or tending to a humble veggie/herb pot on an apartment balcony is a connection with nature and its power.

No ticket to boozeville here. Zero interest or care. Have a great weekend evabody.

Big waves to everyone.
                            Last edited by Guitarista; October 27, 2018, 05:54 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Could have sworn I posted yesterday!
                              Just trying to chill this weekend and recharge. Hope everyone has an easy Sunday! Byrdie
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hi, All:

Not much to say today. I went to a gala/fundraiser last night and danced for 2.5 hours without alcohol. I'm telling you, if I can do that, you can do anything. I have one little moment to talk my shy self into it, and then my husband has to drag me home.

You're so lucky you have such a close relationship with your grandkids, Lav. I bet they LOVE coming to your house.

Rava, I lived on the Bubble Hour for my first year. I love hearing their stories, and the feeling that I wasn't alone.

Wags - I'm a hiker, never a climber, but I love the beauty of the mountains also. I am going to try to see Free Solo this week. I was going to go tonight, but my weekend has been so busy I think I just want some down time at home. I do think it will be best to see on the large screen.

Happy Sober Sunday!
                                Pav

Comment

Working...
                                X