Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Hello everyone, hi Elvis! Way to go on the 4 years

Pav, thanks for the pod cast links, I downloaded both and am excited to listen to them. SLO I also listened to Diery John, I loved it. Such an interesting story. Yeah, my job is a little more tolerable when it’s part time. Hopefully I get a new one soon.

Ava, big hugs to you my friend. Breakups suck. I am sure you will be feeling better in no time though, you are a kick ass gal.

NS, thanks for the quotes. It’s so nice to read your posts.

Lav, your grand babies are lucky to have a sober grandma.

Byrdie, working is highly overrated eh? Sheesh.

G Ma, keep on rawkin.
    Hello, Life, Rava, everyone.

Have a good night.
    Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
    "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Morning nesters,Elvis,fabulous job on 4 years!! Love what you wrote waves to all and have a great day
      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi, Nest

Congratulations, [MENTION=19771]Elvis[/MENTION], on your amazing 4 years sober. I appreciate your post, and I can say that my life is much better without the grog as well. Thanks for sticking around here and being a part of this community.

Woke up very early this morning (hmmm about an hour early), so I'm off to get some things done at work while it is still quiet.

Happy Monday!
        Pav

Comment

Hey, [MENTION=19771]Elvis[/MENTION], that would be a great addition to the Tool Box! It is so uplifting and encouraging to read about people who have not only reclaimed their lives but are living and loving more than perhaps they would have if they hadn't experienced and escaped addiction. I like the person I am now so much more than the one who was primed to become addicted. I won't bore you with a list of my attibutes :wink: but suffice it to say, I'm kinder and more forgiving of others and myself than I used to be, when I held such unreasonable standards and goals for everyone.

Escaping addiction in my opinion requires a great deal of self-reflection and determination of one's philosophy of life. I've evolved from an addicted person searching for meaning (a la Viktor Frankl) through checking out with secular humanism, gaining an understanding of how we operate via the 3 Principles, onto Buddhism, and now to my recent area of study: Stoicism (and that is Stocism with a capital S, not a lowercase bury-your-emotions and keep-a-stiff-upper-lip stoicism). It was interesting to reread the In Between quote last evening from those perspectives. Sometimes simply accepting what is because you realize it is not under your control to change it, is the most sensible and healthiest response. And the good news is, over time your thinking will change, you'll feel differently, and you'll know what to do next.

To all US nesters, take care of yourself over the next few days. I see posts online (not here!!!) by people planning to spend them hammered. What a way to make a horrible outcome worse or to miss the joy of success. xx, NS

Comment

RAVA, I found that I always drank to fill some need - relief, escape, pleasure. It was finding other ways to get these things that finally set me free - along with the true understanding that I can’t have the life I want as a drunk.

MYWAYIN, sorry you’ve been dealing with legal stuff. That must be exhausting! Congrats on your new title in the spring!

LAV, thank goodness those chickens are AF too.

PAV, I think that saying “No” is our best friend this time of year. Overbooking and overspending and overindulging does NOT make us feel better!

G, just ask others all about themselves at your gathering… people love to talk about themselves! And have fun!

Ava, a famous quote struck me last night.. “We can show a horse the water, but we can’t make him drink.” (or the reverse with alcohol, for us). People have to make their own choices, which takes some of the pressure off ourselves - but it can heartbreaking watching those we love make bad decisions. I feel for you on that one! It’s so inspiring to hear you say that nothing and no one can make you drink now… YEA!! Keeping busy is one of the best things for heartache, in my experience. I love that you bought 7 dresses. Good for you!

Elvis! Congrats on 4 years, and thanks for sharing! You deserve every good thing that has come to you! I look forward to joining you in that club someday! What an accomplishment!

I’ve got a pot of homemade bone broth stewing and it smells heavenly. I enjoyed the Broken Brain series this weekend. That, along with a variety of other sources has re-awakened me to the fact that wellness is so holistic. I’m feeling like all the parts are starting to converge and I’m seeing a heatlhy, happy me when I look in the mirror (even though I still have that damn snot - but it’s on its way out!). Diet, exercise, calming the mind, and social connection really all work together, and I’m finally seeing some paths to integrate them all. I love this process of healing.

Hi to Wags, Pauly, Byrdie, Slo, NS, Narilly, and whoever might be reading. My last drink was Dec. 10 of last year - RIGHT before the holidays. It CAN be done.

Happy new week to all.
            Last edited by KENSHO; November 5, 2018, 01:57 PM.
            Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Originally posted by KENSHO View Post
              Diet, exercise, calming the mind, and social connection really all work together, and I’m finally seeing some paths to integrate them all. I love this process of healing.

Happy new week to all.
              I love this Kensho. A holistic approach indeed is what we need to consider, to be sure to be sure. Those 4 things.

Congratulations on 4 years Elvis! Thanks for your great post.

Big waves to all.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Morning nesters

Elvis a huge congrats on 4 years and what a great post, i hope you had a happy day.

We seem to be getting all the US politics on our news atm and i hope everyones sanity keeps together during this time.

One of my fav quotes Kensho and totally correct. Each day is different and like giving up al, some days are great and some not so great. 5 dresses out of 7 fit so i was happy with that!

Today is our famous horse race and day off work. i focus more on the day off work for some reason. Going to get out in the vege garden and plant some vegetables. i also bought a new plant for inside thinking i had soil and it was dynamic lifter. i dont think the plant will live too long with a pot of that. will wait until the crowds subside buying food before i venture out today. My back is iffy atm due to spending too much time sitting in cars in the past few weeks, might have to get some physio on that one.

Made a shopping date with my girls to get some xmas shopping done next weekend which will be lovely. They are such a support. one is going to New Zealand for xmas with her boyfriend and the other is going to visit her father so i will have the boys and mum which suits me as i am not a xmas person at all.

Take care xx
                AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

5/7 dresses, that’s pretty good Ava. I always find it so weird how our seasons are opposite. It’s -5C here right now and Winter is Coming, it’s -11C tomorrow and here you are planting some veggies, lol. Hey, I will cold and you hot but we will BOTH be sober.

Well, I am off early since my job has gone part time until January which is a good thing. AL does not cross my mind as a way to spend my time so that is good. I may watch some Netflix or listen to a podcast that Pav suggested.
                  Ken, yes, it can be done, you know it!

Hi G, Lav,NS,Pauly, Byrdie, everyone
                  Talk soon.
                  Xo
                  Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                  "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Elvis,
                    We are so proud of you! You really ARE the KING! Wow, what a post, one for the ages....Tool Box material for sure.
                    I respondd to a post on the general boards (about blood test results) and it set me to thinking about when I crossed the line with AL. I think I was ok until I started my first big job at 28 years old By the age of 30, I will have to admit, I had a raging AL problem. How sad that it took me 21 years to run out that ball of string. I sure I had quit sooner.
                    Thank you, Elvis, for being of of the faithful here on MWO. You matter.... a lot! Your fan, Byrdie
                    :black:
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

I missed your post last night Elvis - CONGRATS on your 4 years AF :welldone: :yay:
                      It truly does just keep getting better & better. It's hard work but the results are awesome. I am very happy for you!

Narilly, I am the lucky one, believe me. I got to spend the day with my girls today (daughter & granddaughter) & we had a great time. I am so grateful for these special times that would never be happening if I was still hugging the wine bottle. Stay warm, sounds like winter is knocking at your door!

Hi there Pauly & Pav, hope you both had a good day!

NS, changing my thinking, especially getting rid of the negative thinking is what got me on the right course. I am too stubborn for my own good, that is something I have always known about myself. Accepting things as they are made all the difference for me too.

Kensho, I am really glad that things are coming together for you
                      It takes a lot of time & effort but there's no denying the results, right?
                      Hope your cold goes away soon!!!

Hi there G, hope all is well.

Ava, I'm not feeling the Christmas thing yet although I have done some shopping. I hope the spirit catches up with me too. Enjoy your holiday any way you like

Hello to Byrdie, wags & everyone!
                      Wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

[MENTION=11555]mywayin[/MENTION], good to hear from you! Happy for you that you are becoming a grandmother; happy news to offset the legal battle.

[MENTION=16186]available[/MENTION], that’s cool that you like dresses. I wish I did, but just don’t. Pants for me, and preferably jeans.

Thanks for posting the In Between post, [MENTION=18725]NoSugar[/MENTION]. That describes it exactly. I’m so tired & flat lately. But, I’ve been aching and my lymph nodes have been quite swollen for a week, so guess I am under the weather. I feel like maybe my liver is sluggish (wonder why?!) , and I’m sluggish. Think I’ll add in some liver detox tea.

[MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION], I think it’s a good idea to keep booze out of your house too.
                        I’ll have to take a look at the Sober Recovery podcast, and the Dirty John one that so many of you seem to like! I had never heard of it.. I’m already starting the “Broken Brain” one now, [MENTION=20191]Pavati[/MENTION].

[MENTION=19771]Elvis[/MENTION], I loved your update and that your year has been a positive one of growth, with examples of how.
                        Thank you for that!

G-man, good luck with your dinner this week.

Time for a safe night in the nest!
                        Last edited by Slo; November 5, 2018, 10:31 PM.
                        Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Good morning nesters! Boy will I be glad when our elections are over. Sick of seeing all the policital posts on TV as well as all the signs on every corner. [MENTION=16186]available[/MENTION], not a Christmas person either. Can totally relate. Our blended family is so big it becomes too costly and stressful. This year I decided to give our immediate children cash and only buy gifts for the grandkids. Even that is a lot. UGH. Anyway, congrats [MENTION=19771]Elvis[/MENTION] on your 4 years sober. Great accomplishment. [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION] I will try the broken brain I have never heard of that one. My favorite other types of podcasts are Dirty John, Dr. Death, Small Town Dicks. Those podcasts are mostly crime ones. Makes my ride to and from work more bearable. So far, I’m keeping my head in the game and reminding myself that I don’t drink. The chatter is letting up and my confidence level is getting better, I feel stronger. I also got myself an oil diffuser and have nice smelling oils filling the house when I get home from work. Last night my husband had a meeting, so i climbed in bed with my ocean waves sound machine, oil diffuser filled with lavender and my kindle reading the new Jodi Picoult book A Spark of Light. Total bliss. Haven’t felt so relaxed without alcohol in a long long time. I will repeat this tonight as well. Forming new habits during the witching hour(S) is important for me. Thanks everyone for being here.

Comment

Morning nesters,Rava,that sounds like such a relaxing night I'm ready to go back to bed just reading it haha Ava,I agree 5 outa 7 dresses isn't too bad,I love dresses too but didn't wear too many this summer for some reason,Lav,loved the pic of granddaughter and the little car she had,is it made out of cardboard? Slo,you sound absolutely fabulous! Sometimes if my liver feels sluggish I just drink iced water with a bunch of lemon in it,Byrdie,even though 30 is young it's still "older" to start a alcohol problem I think,,I know I'm surprised at myself when I realize mine didnt start til 31-32 you'd figure our 20's would have been prime time for sowing our wild oats or whatever and be done by our 30's but I guess not,I know I started to look ridiculous acting like a foolish,drunk teenager by my late 30's how embarrassing! Quit being cute waves to everyone and have a splendid sober day!
                            I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                            Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi, All:

Pauly, good to see you check in. I had a LONG and storied drinking career. I didn't even think of stopping until way later, even though in reflection my behaviors around alcohol were concerning. Thank goodness that's over.

My professional goal over the next two months is to manage my work flow better so I can cut some things out, delegate other things, and get some time back in my life. I had time to go to yoga after work yesterday and that made all the difference. Exercise is SO important for overall well-being. With yoga I get exercise, stretching, AND mind/body awareness.

Happy SOBER Tuesday.

Pav

Comment

Yo! S'up y'all.

Rava, i love your self care practice! Some oils humming away in the background and other stuff that make you feel good. Simple actions that have a nurturing effect. Right on.

Mind/body awareness Pav. Yep, we can't ignore our body and mind. I need to keep both well tuned and give them a little maintenance each day. That extends to what i eat, as food can affect mood and so thought, and then our actions. It's all related and we need some sort of self care awareness to thrive i've seen.

I didn't buy any dresses this week, but i did just have 3 pairs of old jeans repaired by a local seamstress which i'm happy about. No more worrying about a split in the crotch area showing when i sit down.....:egad:

Big waves. Have a bewdy

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Working...
                                X