• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Wow, where did everyone go?

Byrdie, they look & I'll bet they are good

Pauly, slow days at work stink.....glad it's over. Enjoy that cake, sounds delicious.

NS will be happy to know I found a no sugar recipe for herbed sweet potato rolls today, vegan style. I baked up two batches & stored them in the freezer for Thanksgiving. We did eat one & it was good!!!!

I hope everyone is OK & just busy with their AF lives.
    Wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

morning nesters

Bryd, i wish i lived closer to you but i would end up being your taste tester and that would not do my hips any favours.

Pauly, i remember trying to pace myself with the other drinkers and not succeeding at all after a few drinks then trying to remember if i had wine at home and if not how i could get some to see me through, not sure through what, the apocalypse maybe. I am a chocolate fiend too but trying to slow the pace down. i find my witching hour for chocolate is about 4pm.

A beautiful day here, went to a couple of op shops yesterday and 2 dresses later, just throw on ones for around the house which of course i have an abundance of.

have aggravated my back so taking it easy today and only 4 more days till my coworker returns. woo hoo.

take care xx
      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Happy Saturday everyone, Byrdie those shooters look good and Lav, I am coming to visit with Ava to taste your cooking it sounds delish.

Paula, I love chocolate too, my fav.
        SLO, lucky for you with the nice son in laws. Those relaxing beers are not so relaxing for us. The whole time I’d be dinking the first one I would be thinking about having the next one and trying to pace myself. Then I would go home like Ava and get drunk on wine because two or three beers was not enough.
        Good on you for not drinking.

Have a nice night everyone.
        We have snow, -8C today, brrrrr
        Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
        "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Hi, All--

Wow, Byrdie - those look delicious. I LOVE Peanut Butter. Now, I might add a scoop of ice cream on top, too...

Not much to add. We have had a pretty low-key weekend which feels nice for a change. Because of the smoke outside I haven't been hitting the trails which makes me a bit stir crazy - I've been exercising indoors, but it isn't the same for me. It is so horrifying - 1,000 missing, and so much destruction. Rain is due on Wednesday, which still seems so far away.

Happy SOBER Sunday.

Pav

Comment

Morning nesters,not much going on here either,Pav,it is just so sad,,didn't realize that the count is so high on the missing people! Ava,two more dresses added to your collection sounds good I've been collecting jeans for some reason lately but sometimes I buy them and HATE the way they fit so they hang in the closet and I don't donate them cuz they're new but I need to get over that cuz they're piling up,whoever invented low waisted jeans obviously didn't realize women have hips and every time I go to sit down seems the jeans slip off where they're supposed to be haha,Slo,how'd it go last night? Hope you had fun Narilly,thats too doggone cold for me brrr! Waves to all and wishes for a super,sober Sunday!
            I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
            Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hola nesters!

Pav, so sorry to read that missing people tally. Geez, that's just devastating.

Glad you got some creative food time in Byrdy! A nice distraction from the working week i'm tipping.

All ok here. Take it easy out there y'all. Big waves to everyone.
              Last edited by Guitarista; November 18, 2018, 02:14 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Paula, those low rise jeans are tough. I have several pairs still in my closet. They are unwieldy.
                Pav, Wednesday does seem far off when so much devastation is in store between now and then. My heart goes out to those folks.
                I was telling my hubs about Pav and Ava’s huge accomplishment coming up. He asked how common it is for people to reach 5 years. I don’t know what the statistics are, but from my experience on this site, it’s an amazing feat. So happy for you!
                A lazy day today, just what I needed.
                Hugs to all. Byrdie
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hello G, have a good one.

Byrdie, time to get rid of those low risers, lol. Say no to crack
                  Pav, it’s hard to believe the devastation going on in California. It is so sad and terrifying. It must really feel apocalyptic with all the smoke and ash around. It’s great if you can still get some exercise.

5 years coming up for Pav and Ava means it’s time to get ready to party!! I’ll be waiting for the invite gals. So proud of you both.

Just hanging out right now, going to make a family supper of roast chicken, should be good. We don’t have wine with supper ever anymore, I was just thinking how we always used to drink on Sunday...and everyday with supper. That seems weird to me now, no booze is the new normal around here. Thank goodness.

Xo
                  Don’t drink today.
                  Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                  "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Had a great day &got too see my granddaughter perform in her first play. I had to fight back tears while watching the show thinking how grateful I am to experience these awesome moments. I didn't want to miss a moment in my grandkids lives & so far I haven't

No wine at dinner or any other time is the new normal Narilly!!

Pav, my California living brother hasn't said much about these fires, guess he's sick of them too. So many lives lost, so much destruction is hard to imagine. I hope the rain gets there asap. I especially wonder what's going to happen to the folks sheltering in tents. They will have to move inside somewhere before the rain moves in.

Byrdie, G, Ava, Pauly & everyone - hello

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Originally posted by narilly View Post
                      Byrdie, time to get rid of those low risers, lol. Say no to crack :
                      Hysterical, Narilly!
                      The young ones have been making fun of our “mom jeans” for so long, and now all of a sudden they’re back in fashion -a hot trend amongst the high schoolers! I never understood the low-rise jeans either, [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION].

Interesting about wine with dinner, Narilly. My husband was really getting into wine and had two wine racks built into our house, and we were starting to have wine with dinner routinely whenever we had spaghetti. Now the wine racks stay mostly empty, and we never have wine with dinner unless company is here; then he will. He also will often have root beer now instead of real beer when grilling. I guess they change when we change!

Pav, I hear what you’re saying about getting stressed what with the terrible state of your state, and no quick way to relax after a stressful workday on top of it, like a large martini would seemingly do. I was wondering if your de-stressing hikes were now curtailed by the smoke, and sure enough. No, exercising indoors is not the same.
                      Having a large family close by and lots of friends in a small community is a mixed blessing, as too many social occasions come up, taking away from your downtime to balance out work.
                      I’m glad you and Brydie had un-busy weekends this weekend, cuz we’re gearing up for the holidays now!

Lav, that’s so fun about getting to see your granddaughter perform. My little nephews were munchkins in ‘Wizard of Oz’.
                      Last edited by Slo; November 18, 2018, 09:50 PM.
                      Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

I’m back now from my travels to meet the parents of out daughter’s fiancĂ©. It all went fine, and it wasn’t too bad drinking club soda while everyone else was drinking booze at the tailgate picnic. The other mother only had half a glass of wine, so... I consider her a non drinker. And I distracted myself with some games of bean bag toss with some of the others! They were very nice people. And the college football game was a really good one to watch. I’m glad I’m far enough along that I can handle these things fairly easily now, as long as I don’t let myself go in HUNGRY, or any similar such unbalanced state.

The Napoleon Dynamite screening and meet some of the cast thing with my daughter was fine, but I’m still old-fashioned in that I remember theaters as being non-drinking places -you’d drink beforehand, not AT the theater -so was taken a aback by having to go through a gauntlet of tons of every variety of alcohol for sale right when you enter, and then there’s an even bigger bar to go through on the lower level where the restrooms were. Everyone was drinking. But, this is the modern world that I have to get used to. At least they had “tots” for sale!
                        Last edited by Slo; November 18, 2018, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Has anybody heard from [MENTION=20476]KENSHO[/MENTION] lately? I’m getting worried that she might be being directly impacted by the wildfires.

Comment

Morning nesters,Slo,glad the tailgate went well sometimes we hype stuff up in our heads and make things seem harder than they really are/will be,caught a cold and it's not good for me cuz in the past it's been a trigger,I'd stupidly drink to"feel better" or forget that I'm sick but I'm aware of that so I'm keeping my firm grip on the "I don't drink" mantra,eating some toast with cherry jelly my daughter's boyfriend brought me from Italy,,,it's different is all I can say haha,hope work goes easy on me waaah! Waves to all and have a super,sober Monday!
                            I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                            Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Slo View Post
                              Has anybody heard from @KENSHO lately? I’m getting worried that she might be being directly impacted by the wildfires.
                              Hi, Slo. She doesn't live in CA so I don't think there's a problem. Hope all is well with you, [MENTION=20476]KENSHO[/MENTION]!

I had friends over for an early holiday party last evening - 4 of them consumed 3 bottles of wine so... not outrageous but certainly more than "recommended". I think they wish I drank (I sometimes think I see them exchange "looks" when we toast) but it is so great not to care at all about that anymore. All the talk about wine (before and during the party) is so so boring, though. In message exchanges they post photos of wine glasses as big as fishbowls, drinking GIFs, etc.etc. It all seems so ridiculous and an attempt to normalize/legitimize something that causes a bit of anxiety or guilt. Well, whatevever. I'm glad not to be part of it anymore.

Comment

morning nesters

Tuesday here and a balmy 25C to drive to work at 4.30am. bit weird but nice not to wear layers. Bit different Nar to your -8. i could not imagine living in that cold. Layer upon layer upon layer.

NS hard to believe we would have been "that crowd" a few years ago. There are so many posts on fb with regards to drinking, it makes me cringe and want to unfriend everybody who posts anything about al. i still get the lovely reminders of my drinking days which reminds me of why i dont drink.

Slo, glad to hear you had a lovely time with your newbie family. Makes the world of difference when people are welcoming and friendly. My daughters ex hubs family was italian and it was overwhelming at family gatherings, they were so lovely but such a big family and we are such a small family.

Pav, i hope you get outside soon and it rains your way. Its just devastating to see it on the news let alone live it. Makes me very grateful in what i have.

Byrd, its hard to believe that Pav and i are coming up to 5 years. i remember thinking i could not get through a day let alone a week or a month or a year. i remember thinking the oldies had it so easy when they stopped and no one, absolutely no one could possibly have gone through what i was. I cant imagine going back to a day 1 ever.

Lav, oh i bet you were the proudest granma there!

Pauly, i hope you feel better soon. my hayfever is driving me nuts and ive done something to my back. the dr thinks it sciatica and wants an xray also. i will wait for a few weeks though. i cant take any strong drugs as i get a bad reaction so that bit sucks. she wanted me to have a few days off work but that sooooo isnt happening this week.

Well back to work i go.

take care xx
                                AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Working...
                                X