Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Thanks for the warm welcome. I.....feel......great! Tomorrow at 10:05 am will be a week. No more sneaking around. Never again. I’m doing laundry instead of being passed out.

Comment

So.. [MENTION=24301]Feebee[/MENTION], do we get to hear the story of how one comes to quit at 10:05 on a Tuesday morning :haha:??? Nothing wrong with that, of course, but just not the typical tale :smile:.

I'm actually a big fan of the totally random quit dates and times that occur when a person finally wants to quit more than to drink. I reached my tipping point on a Wednesday in late January 2013 and that was it. I was done and was willing to do whatever it took to stay stopped. That meant for me to get highly involved here and to TELL THE TRUTH. I had been such a sneaky liar about drinking for several years, it was tearing me apart. Here I was, not living one of my greatest values. I had failed on all my pre-planned day ones: birthdays, firsts of months, Mondays, and most recently, New Year's day 2013 (after having several lengthy AF stretches during 2012). I had to finally just DO IT AND BE DONE.

On the other hand, a preplanned date can be very helpful, especially if you announce it to the (MWO) world, like [MENTION=16186]available[/MENTION] did. After messing around for awhile, she decided that as of 1 Dec 2013, she was DONE. And the good news is, she really was :hug:.

Now to get ready for the big 5 year AF party for her and [MENTION=20191]Pavati[/MENTION] :welldone:!

Comment

morning nesters

NS, i am so grateful i was done all those years ago, i dont know why i was done but i was, although it could have been the DT's when i woke up, driving to work probably still drunk, the sores that would not heal, he liver that was screaming at me each morning, the dead look in my eyes in the mirror, the not caring if i lived or died and the extreme anxiety just to name a few!

Fee, i am interested too as to why 10.05am 7 days ago. So glad you are here and checking in.

Slo, it was funny but when mum was down i went away and came back and there was wine in the fridge, she did mention she could stop if she wanted. That was a favourite saying of mine back in the day.

Today when i was driving to work at 4.30am i was thinking of how my life has changed over the years of sobriety and it felt so good to reflect on the person i was to the person i am today. Each and every milestone has proved that i dont need al to be happy or live and that loving who i am is the most precious gift that sobriety has given me.

Thank goodness it is thursday here, the girl i was doing her work for is off sick, poor thing, so i am back to helping her out. Keeps me busy and they day goes quick.

take care xx
        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Originally posted by available View Post
          loving who i am is the most precious gift that sobriety has given me.
          Here here! Learning to love, or even like ourselves again is something i am beginning to see. Looking forward to Saturday's celebrations Ava and Pav! Maybe i'll start early - :sendflowers::lotsasmiles::woohoo2:

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Happy Hump day evening everyone

I hope everyone had a good day, I did. I finally pushed myself to clear out multiple closets & reduce some unused stock from my embroidery biz 9now closed). I have about 6 big bags full to set out for the Purple Heart association on Friday morning. I know all that stuff will be put to good use, makes me feel good.

FeeBee, happy 1 week AF for you :welldone:
            It's such a good feeling so be proud of your accomplishment & keep moving forward

Hi there Slo, NS, Ava & G! Great to see you all.

So what kind of cake should we conjure up for Saturday's Pav/Ava big 5 year anniversary???
            I'm thinking of something with chickens, LOL

Hello to everyone else & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hello everyone, hello Fee, this is a good place to be to get sober.

Cleaning out your closet Lav? That is a great idea, I need to do that. Embroidery? Very cool.

Saturday is a big day Pav and Ava, I am looking forward to it. It would have been my 5 year anniversary too but I caved and drank at Christmas that year, which sucks. But my 5 year Anniversary is in April so better late than never.

Something with Chickns sounds good Lav, throw in a yummy carrot cake and I’m in

Have a good night.
              Xo
              Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
              "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Hello. It was nice to read all your comments. This nest does feel comfy.

To answer ...why 10:05...l was siphering the hours until I had to be presentable at the start of Thanksgiving holiday and decided at 10:05 on the 21st I had enough of it. So I stopped and never ever want to go through another quit week. I have had way too many.

Onward and upward.
                Last edited by Feebee; November 28, 2018, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pavati View Post
                  I quit at the start of December and I actually LOVED being sober that first holiday season. To coin a cliche, I was so sick and tired of being sick and tired, and it felt good to feel good throughout. It was hard as I was very humbled and still felt a lot of shame for "letting myself get like this." I was eventually able to accept that for whatever reason I had a higher vulnerability to alcohol, and honestly and truly accepted that I couldn't drink. Wow, was that a freeing feeling.
                  This is so true that for whatever reason we have a higher vulnerability to alcohol; it must be some combination of nature, nurture, over exposure, & epigenetics that leaves us more vulnerable to it. I guess the exact reason doesn’t really matter, even though we often ruminate about why. It took me forever to accept this -I fought it tooth & nail. But it is freeing to finally accept.

Feebee, I was a impressed that you quit the day BEFORE Thanksgiving instead of the day after! But you avoided a potential Thanksgiving massacre by doing that! I guess you were sick & tired of being sick & tired.

Rava, keep racking up as many sober days as you can.

Lav, I guess your business is closed for good if you decluttered out your extra materials & supplies. That has to feel freeing too!

I got the Christmas cards ordered! Keeping this Christmas machine going.
                  Last edited by Slo; November 28, 2018, 11:13 PM.
                  Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Hi, All:

My quit date would be Ava's (12/1) but I drank a couple of light beers over time on that day because my hangover was just that bad. I really couldn't stand how bad I felt. I my time would actually be around noon or 1 on 12/1, but I count that as a drinking day, and my day 1 is 12/2. Wow, just thinking about that is bringing back the feeling of dread I had that day. Glad that is over.

Move over, Byrd, I'm coming to Australia. I keep having people say to take some time, not work as much, but no one is going to do my job, so if I take time off, I just have more to do...

I'm having a tough week - a lot going on in my family life that is super stressful. I have NO desire to drink and make it worse, and for that I am truly grateful.

Pav

Comment

FeeBee, on behalf of the whole Newbie's Nest, may I present you with your ONE WEEK PRIZE? It's a Full Moon! :butt: Here is our 2-Cheeked Salute to getting the worst part BEHIND YOU! No cracks from us, that first week is a doozie and now it's in the rear view! WELL DONE and keep up the great work! Byrdie
                      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good afternoon Nesters. Things here are going so so. I have been really listening to podcasts and using the toolbox so I am still in the game. I signed up for the 30 day stop drinking challenge from Annie Grace. I’m looking forward to the extra support and hope it gives me the extra encouragement I need. Day 1 over and over is completely ruining my confidence level, especially with 8 years sober in the past. I know I can do it and struggling with getting it all back to where I was before. Joining this challenge may help. I want to give it a good try. Thanks to everyone for being here! Hope everyone has a great Thursday.

Comment

Hola Nesters!

Hi Rava. great work. Whatever it takes no? For me just getting myself through the first days and weeks anyway i can helps build a foundation for success. Now i'm in the maintenance phase which is another interesting ball game. Keep up the good work.

Well done Fee!

Big waves to evabody!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Wait a second.
                            My ‘puter is down so it’s a challenge to reply. Did I just receive a full moon?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Feebee View Post
                              Wait a second.
                              My ‘puter is down so it’s a challenge to reply. Did I just receive a full moon?

Thanks
                              You sure did! That’s your prize for making it through the whole first week!!

Good idea for getting extra support, Rava. I tried the Annie Grace 30-day Stop Drinking Challenge too, but it didn’t really work for me...probably because I drank all the way through it.

Guitarista, yes, the maintenance phase has its challenges too. I’m low and low energy, but probably have been left with a taxed liver and burnt-out adrenal glands. These things don’t heal overnight.

Sorry that you’re extra burdened with family stresses, Pav.

Have a safe night in the nest, all!
                              Last edited by Slo; November 29, 2018, 07:40 PM.
                              Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Feebee, you have been saluted, ha ha! Now you feel like a real part of this group, right?

Narilly, I enjoy the therapeutic effect of donating unused still decent items & gaining some closet space at the same time. It's a win-win situation.

Slo, I have to agree, acceptance made giving up AL possible for me as well. I was never going to beat the beast & it was beginning to do quite a number on me.
                                I opened a small home based embroidery biz after I retired from nearly 30 years in nursing. After 15 years I'm ready to retire again. I'm pretty much over the need to beat myself up trying to please people, LOL.

Pav, hope your stress eases up soon ~ OHM.

Byrdie, your salutes are always a joy to see

Rava, use all the tools you need to get the job done, right?
                                Wishing you success!

G, good to see you!

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!
                                Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09
                                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                                X