• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

X-post, Pauly.. thanks for that.:love: Your NYE sounds might nice!xx

Comment

Well the end of the year is here. You all sound good.
      Byrdie, the stew thing was a bit different,i think sitting down to eat stew sounds better (and easier). I also have gained weight over the holidays which really sucks. Now I have to get through the next two days without gaining another 5 lbs. stay away from the fat mirror!

LC, you are doing great. It does help to come here, I am thankful for MWO too. Your evening sounds fun, that’s funny about setting an alarm to wake up for New Year’s Eve.

I am going to a party tonight and it will be no problem not drinking. The problem I have is over eating but at least I don’t wake up sicker than a dog.
      I too drink lots of stuff almost compulsively. It keeps me away from the wine etc. I drink, soda, Perrier, sugar free tonic water, coffee, whatever I can. I guess it’s the kind of brain a person has with a drinking problem- that compulsive obsession with drinking or eating a bunch of sugar. Yup, that is me.

Bohemian Rhapsody as awesome. It was the second time I saw it and I loved it.

Have a great last day of the year everyone!
      Xo
      Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
      "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Hola Nesters,
        Speaking of drinking...I have the coffee shakes this morning. hopefully the 3 pieces of toast will counteract that.

I'm not a fan of NYE. New Years Heave as my college friend and I call it. I would love to make it an early night, but not sure what my son will be up to, and of course I cannot sleep properly as long as he is out. That reminds me...I need to get his butt up now.

NYE is "not a ticket to booze-ville" was the thought that popped into my mind this morning. My biggest trigger seems to be when I have guests in the house. For some reason, having guests makes me very anxious. And my booze brain thinks that it has the answer! Yes, and wants to call in those GSR brothers also. I may have guests later this week, and that will be when I need to be most vigilant.

Hope everyone gets through this "holiday" safely. I don't really see what the big deal is about ending one (crappy) year and starting the next.

My drink of choice has been tonic water. trying to consume less sugar, I am mixing in diet tonic. I can drink so much of this stuff, I may be addicted. Better than the alternative.

Hi to all!
        BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Well I’m glad I’m not the only one to think that standing around with bowls of beef stew was weird! That is one of the beauties of having a support group!
          This is day 2 of no carbs. It took me 363 days, but I‘m making good on my 2018 resolution to lose weight! :haha:
          I hope everyone has a safe , happy and sober NYE! Stay strong, everyone! Byrdie
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

LC, how is your evening going? Your words are SO EXACTLY how I felt - Christmas and New Year’s last year. Things felt raw and extreme - this is normal! It will pass. Go out for a walk if you need to - change your energy and space if you need to. YOU CAN DO THIS!!! Thinking of you!
            Last edited by KENSHO; December 31, 2018, 03:26 PM.
            Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Originally posted by Byrdlady View Post
              This is day 2 of no carbs. It took me 363 days, but I‘m making good on my 2018 resolution to lose weight! :haha:
              Come join us here, Byrdie, and anyone else who wants to run an experiment that could make you healthier, happier, and more energetic with weight loss often a happy side effect :smile:.

Comment

SLO, you sound like you are enjoying your trip. Water is where it’s at… we place too little appreciation of it, in my opinion! You seem to be finding substitutions to drinking with those “little things” we so often talk about - enjoying someone’s company, laughing, rest & exercise…

The bitters in my lemon drink WAS a bit much Ava - I thought I smelled Worcestershire sauce in my lemonade. However, I appreciated that it was not just straight sugar, and that it was an interesting flavor!

We had friends over yesterday and I was SO tired! And we have another couple neighbors coming over again tonight. I'm about entertainered-out! I got a chance to explain to my husband in greater detail about how being an introvert means that I reach a point when I need a quiet room and myself only. It becomes WORK for me to generate a conversation. He understood - though he is an extrovert! It's a good match, in my opinion, as long as you understand each other!

I haven't felt tempted by alcohol much this week - I see it as a ticket to a crappy life I never want to live again. Alcohol & drinking = sucky existence. That's what I needed to understand clearly to move forward to be a non-drinker. Before that, I think it was more like: Drinking = be careful with it, or Drinking = just have a little less, or Drinking = I can handle it....None of those ended up working or being true. Drinking sent me directly to a prison I never want to visit again. It's a negotiating, manipulative substance though, a real sweet-talker! If it has your ear - don't listen!! It's all lies - alcohol never made me funnier, more confident, more attractive - it only made me numb, and then regretful - occasionally a liar, sometimes abusive, irresponsible - and worst of all, untrue to myself.

Happy end of this year - we all deserve a clearer and more rewarding 2019! Cheers and hugs to everyone here - to freedom and happiness!
                Last edited by KENSHO; December 31, 2018, 03:37 PM.
                Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Belle, I drink diet tonic water when I can find it, at least it has no sugar and I feel like it’s a ‘special’ drink that is not Alcohol. I am not a fan of NYE either, it seems highly overrated. My daughter’s birthday is tomorrow so I always am busy that day. Jan 1st is not a good day to be hungover especially if it’s your kid’s birthday. I remember having to go puke in the middle of her birthday supper a few years ago. Nice.

Byrdie, way to go on day 2! Lol you can do it.

NS, I am going to post on the No Sugar thread, thank you for the link.

Ken, I get tired trying to make small talk too and I am an extrovert. I have found we have people over much less now that I don’t drink high is just fine.
                  I am staying home tonight with my puppies, hopefully I can stay awake until Midnight.

Don’t drink today.
                  Xo
                  Narilly

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Hola nesters!

Feliz ano nuevo to all of you special, brilliant people. Take care friends.

I got 2 tickets in the mail this morning. One was an all expenses paid ticket to boozeville (funny, it was only one way with no return flight). The other was a free ticket to a fresh new meaningful life. This was also one way no return. Guess which one i chose!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

I consume very little sugar in my day to day life. But, once per year I head out to a Swiss chocolate maker here in our little town. He makes awesome dark chocolate covered pretzels & that's our NYE treat tonight Won't help with any weight loss but much safer to consume & no hangovers, haha!

LC, it's after 7 pm here so I know you are already into the new year there. Let's stick together & make 2019 excellent for all of us

I think the rain here will prevent a lot of fireworks tonight & that's just as well.
                      Tomorrow it's heading all the way up to 60 degrees - crazy!!!!

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest & a very happy, healthy & successful 2019.

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

12:12 here, January 1, 2019. Happy New Year Nest friends! G, I’m glad you picked that ticket; hope you burned the other!
                        Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Happy New Year, Nesters!

Talk about gratitude! I am so grateful to be on the other side of yesterday! I am so happy to have acted differently than I have the past .... times. After signing on here again last night, the girl's father came by (ughh), then the neighbor came over to use the phone.. it was all too much so I got dressed and ran to the gym. I did a super high intensity work out which calmed me right down! Then any cravings that might have been annoying me were GONE! I have to realize that just because I've taken drinking off the table as an option, doesn't mean that I won't have to deal with getting cravings sometimes. We had a really nice and quiet evening playing 20 questions, charades, etc.. it was so nice to have the time with the girls! The fireworks were insane. It's so dangerous! There were people down on the corner, in the middle of the street shooting off bottle rockets, etc., and people throwing fireworks down from the rooftops. We stayed safely inside.. but it went on until 1:40am and the partying is still going on. I was SO happy to be waking up UN-HUNG!, able to enjoy a coffee and a chat with my neighbor at 7:30.. and to have an improved outlook today. I feel like I exercised my sober muscles!

Love to all of you beautiful people, Nar, NS, Kensho, Byrdie, Lav, Pav, G-man, Ava, Pauly, Belle, Slo, Wags,.. quite a regular crew we've got going here! To anyone flying by, stop in! I'm really looking forward to this new year!xx

Comment

Happy New Year nesters! LC,your neighborhood sounds like mine,fireworks all night I had to put 2 earplugs in! Hope everyone had a nice time,I was being Queen Boring and went to bed early,,wish I coulda summoned up some excitement but meh,,a new year just makes me feel sort of blue,I'm trying to turn those thoughts around but it's kinda hard,I want a fun second part time job,I want a cleaner house,I want a good attitude,i want my credit cards paid off,most of all I just want me and my family to be healthy and happy,I'm sure all these are doable but I just get scared that come July or something I've been to lazy to accomplish anything on my list,lemme work on it,wishes for a fantastic AF NYD!!
                            I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                            Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Happy New Year everyone!

Swiss chocolate sounds good Lav, i agree it’s better than being hungover!

LC, I am Grateful to be UnHung today the first day of the year, Yay!! I am so happy you went to the gym and got rid of those drinking thoughts and cravings. Way to go!! This is a New Year and it’s going to be a New way of living for you, you can have the Life you want, right!

G, you crack me up. I’m glad you chose the right ticket. Way to go G, you raawk.

Yeah Pauly, i get the ambivalence about New Years, it is highly overrated. I like the earplugs though. Good idea.

Happy New Year everyone, this is going to be a good one. I can hardly believe it will be my 5th year sober, oh yeah baby! I am going for a walk this morning and then making a dinner for my daughter’s birthday, my kids will probably be in bed till noon and I am sure they had a few beverages last night.

Have a great first day of the year!,
                              Xo
                              Narilly

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Happy New Year everyone!!! Here's to a 2019 full of peaceful af days and no GSR brothers anywhere in sight.

Feeling grateful for very few fireworks in our neighborhood last night. On July 4 this is a crazy part of town (we usually leave just for that reason) and our next door neighbors are probably the worst culprits. It's funny, I think of New Year as being one of my favorite holidays because I really like new beginnings and starting things (except new quits - I never want a new one of those again in my life!), but I'm realizing that it's just NY DAY that I like so much - the Eve celebration and all the stereotypical ways we're supposed to "celebrate" are big negatives. Well, now we're past the hype and into the new beginning phase.

:yay:

Hope today is fantastic for all of you and I look forward to another great year in the nest together.
                                Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Working...
                                X