Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Mm. ...Crickets... yeah, they are probably salty Lav.

Hey Jane, it’s so good to read your post. I totally remember the issues you were having with the step son. My son drinks too but has slowed down quite a bit since his girlfriend doesn’t drink much. That really helps. Your lucky your in-laws and hubby don’t really drink around you. My brother and Sil have big glasses of delicious looking wine around me. It is annoying. Last time I visited them my sil got a little tipsy and then got mad at my brother and went to bed early. It was a bit weird. I was so glad I wasn’t drinking.

SLO, your hubby sounds great. What a great support he is.

Thank you for the good wishes on the job everyone.

Byrdie, you raawk.

Feebs, your FREE!! Good job.

Grateful to b sober.
    Xo
    Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
    "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Morning Nesters,
      Quick fly by on my way to make breakfast and head off to work..
      Nar, great news about the job interview! I hope you hear something back soon.
      Lav, crickets are salty if you fry them and then add a splash of soy sauce! I was thinking you could start a cricket farm and share them with your chickens!:happy2:
      Love to you all and a happy Wednesday.. see you this afternoon.xx

Comment

Wishing everyone a restful night / bright day.. anybody reading anything good, or enjoying a new tv series? Always looking for suggestions! :heartbeat:
        AF since January 7, 2014 *Never, never, never give up. ~ Winston Churchill*

Comment

Jane, Bodyguard on Netflix is really good.

Good night Life, have a great day!
          Narilly

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Morning Nesters,
            Thanks for the tip Nar. I’ve seen a few ads and it caught my eye. I’ll add it to our list. We’ve got ER and NYPD Blue filling our long drama category. Both are very good and have lots of seasons but I miss having something more current. There is so much good programming to choose from these days and always a bummer when a juicy show like Americans comes to an end. How’s everyone doing today?
            AF since January 7, 2014 *Never, never, never give up. ~ Winston Churchill*

Comment

Hi, all:

Jane - THANKS for that. I do remember your issues with A1 (and of course, your lunch with dad) - glad you seem to have resolved it. You are lucky that your husband's family doesn't drink - we are all alcohol, all the time over here - my family and my husband's family are all drinkers. I get tired of it. I AM tempted sometimes - there is nothing as quick as a cocktail to soothe those rough edges. The issue is, for me it was a beginning, not an end. I have learned to deal with the rough edges in other ways, but it is still annoying. I am sorry that you're still dealing with the fallout from that accident.

FREEBee! Glad you're feeling so great. That feeling of a large weight off my shoulders - that freedom from the oppression of alcohol. Congratulations!

Pauly - Hah - be careful what you ask for. I get the wanting to get back to work - sometimes a lack of structure makes me feel almost depressed for a while. Hope you find some balance, and some sunshine.

Byrdie - I'm with everyone else - you EXUDE confidence here.

I'm off to work. Happy SOBER Hump Day.

Pav

Comment

Good Mornin'! Day of work at home - looking forward to it. Will get some exercise in as well. Feeling strong - sending good vibes to everyone here!

Might try some crickets soon:
                Eating crickets: five flavors of sustainable, crunchy protein - YouTube
                Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

No crickets for me, please. I'm trying to cut down. :eeew:
                  I was talking to a coworker yesterday and he said "I need a drink!" I said, "So do I, and I don't drink!" We had a laugh, but I know he has a serious problem with AL. As you know, it takes one to know one, as we used to say as kids. This job reminds me of the dreams I often have of going to my final exam for Spanish when I actually took Latin. I just can't believe what is happening, or actually NOT happening. I turned in 2 orders this morning and the hag admin sent me a snippy note back saying I didn't have the customer number on there. She copied my boss! I wrote back that I DID have the customer number on there, and she said, yes, but you also need the site number, too. I felt like saying, why don't I just enter the order so I don't have to bother you at all? I can't imagine anyone in his right mind taking this job. It is an exercise in frustration.
                  Other than that, all is good! I'm glad I'm strong in my quit or I'd be drinking hard at these people!
                  Hugs to all, AL is never the answer! Byrdie
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hi everyone!
                    I've had a good afternoon, exercising those sober muscles. Don't know exactly why the drinking thoughts keep coming up. Nothing serious, but like that part of my mind is testing me, seeing if there's a chance I can be convinced/tempted. I still feel strongly, NO WAY! But I am easily annoyed today, snippy. Impatient. The girls are getting on my nerves, which is rarely the case. The younger one is coming into puberty and I have to be careful not to get on her case too much.. she's late at 14 and has been such a sweetheart her whole life.. so she's allowed to be a bit of a you know what..:happy2:
                    Anyway, I had a nap, got some fresh air, read here, got some errands done.

Jane, I wish I had a good recommendation.. I also liked the Americans! I don't have a great book recommendation either! But I'm hoping to find a good one to read over the next couple of weeks.. let me know if you find something!

Gosh, I'd have a really hard time if everyone/anyone was drinking around me. I'm happy to hear about all the relationships that are improving when al is out of the picture..I don't have a romantic relationship/husband.. but already, after 3 weeks, my communication with friends/co-workers is improving.

The Naked Mind talk was interesting today, talking about how anger is a secondary emotion, one that's understood/accepted by society so it's an easy cover for other more difficult emotions.. shame, being hurt, sadness, embarrassment, etc.. And because alcohol numbs feelings in general, when it's taken out of the picture, we might at first be more irritable, angry, short tempered.. as we begin to "feel" again. I know that emotional discomfort has been a BIG reason for my drinking. Not being able to face things. So now I'm trying to be aware of what I'm actually feeling, trying to figure out how to handle/face the situation.. and if it seems to overwhelming, I walk or run away from it.. I can deal with the bigger problems later.. if they continue to come up.

Pauly, I hear you with regards to work! I have 2 more days before I'm off for 3 weeks and I can hardly stand to be there! But I know that after the break, I'll be so happy to return to my work.. I'm not sure what my ideal work week would look like.? Maybe 3 days a week..?:happy2:

Byrdie, I was just thinking today that I'm glad I'm not drinking at anybody any more. I finally realized that drinking to "escape" thoughts of someone (which I often did to try and avoid pain) is the same as drinking at them. Destroying myself for WHAT? That's how I always have to look at alcohol and drinking it.. It destroys me. It keeps me stuck. It makes me miserable.

Off to listen to some teenage problems.. I'm most grateful that I'm not setting such a bad example anymore. They have to/should learn to deal with life without a crutch, without drugging.. that's exactly what they are doing! I can do the same!

Big hugs to all of you! xx
                    Last edited by lifechange; January 9, 2019, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Morning nesters

Four days left of holidays and then back to work, i must say i am looking forward to going but i am sure that will change as soon as i get there, i do love my job though. The hag i work with is on extended sick leave so i found out. Woo hoo. i feel guilty i feel so happy as i do hope she is ok but everyones life will be so much easier for awhile. She is my hag Byrd.

Jane, i just watched Travelers on Netflix and enjoyed it, downloaded Luther and so love that show, elementary, Mom, Safe, Killing Eve, Grace and Frankie. Well this is showing how i spend my life! How is your dad?

LC, you are the 100% priority atm remember that. When you were talking about anger, i remember the alkie woman and boy was she angry, blew me away how angry she was at her ex and everything she had to do that never got done. Life just seemed to have dumped its load on her and there is no way out with drinking for her at this stage. I will be dragging my butt to work when you are sleeping in next week.

I met a dear friends daughter yesterday and felt like i was in a time warp. She is so much like her mum was when we were young. We had a lovely time and her baby was just gorgeous. ten months and was premmie at 1.1kg so a tiny little tot and now i really want to be a nana.

IMG20190109122512.jpg

Off to have a cup of tea and then tackle the pantry cupboard, a fight between myself and moths so i realised yesterday.

take care xx
                      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Good here Jane. Congrats on your 5 years.

If I would have stayed quit 5 years ago, I'd have 5 years sober, but it's only 1 1/2 months for me. In 5 years I will have 5 years free.

Feebs

Comment

Hola nesters!

Right on Freebee! And 1.5. months is epic! Keep it going mi amiga.

No hags female or male at my work place thankfully. Some potential for it a little possibly, but our boss is so cool and anti-hag behaviour that the workplace culture is pretty good - respectful and cooperative. But fear not, i work for 2 large organisations and i know there are hags male and female operating in small clusters in one org, yet to be extinguished because they have hags for bosses too. lol.

All the best with surgery etc Jane.

Just driving by as i'm off into the day here. Big waves to y'all.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Everyone sounds great. Yes, good luck with surgery Jane. I also liked the shows Ava recommended, especially Safe, that as good.

Ya PV, it’s hard to be around all those drinkers sometimes. I have the same problem.

Way to go Feebee, 1.5 months!

GMan, looks like you are in a hag free zone.
                            Byrdie, your coworker must appreciate your humour, too bad your job sucks.

Life, your daughter is super lucky to have sober mom to listen to her. Lucky kid!

Ken, are you going to eat crickets? Lol

I enjoyed the day with my mom today. That is one thing about being jobless, I have time to spend with my mom and mil.

Have a good one, I am going to check out Americans on Netflix. Who hoo!
                            Narilly

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

We had a very cold & windy day as predicted. It blew the recycling can over (one of those big wheeled cans). My chickens don't seem to mind the icy wind, bless their little hearts
                              I really haven't been watching much TV lately but I do like the NCIS & Criminal Minds shows - even if they are kinda creepy at times, haha!

I think I'll pass on the crickets LC but thanks for the recipe.
                              Chickens really love those dried meal worms though so I buy a bag at the feed store once in a while, yuck. I'm looking forward to getting another dozen or so chicks next month & get them started

Byrdie, if the HAGS got into an office war & exterminated one another I bet things would be a whole lot nicer ~ fingers crossed!

Nar, any news on the job interview yet? I don't blame you for using your time off for visits

Hello to all the crew & wishing everyone a safe & cozy night in the nest!

Lav
                              Last edited by Lavande; January 9, 2019, 07:36 PM.
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09
                              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

If I would have stayed quit I’d be approaching 5 years AF too, Feebee! I can’t believe 2014 was five years ago!
                                I was AF for a few weeks in 2014 when we went to visit our daughter who was working & studying abroad in Ireland. My HB was anything but supportive then: moping because he had to eat in cafes instead of pubs, very sadly declining to tour the Guinness factory, ducking into pubs when we were out shopping, longingly gazing into a noisy happening bar that we passed at night while walking around. We ended up at a lonely takeout food counter instead. The next night he skipped our dinner program with Irish dancing to have dinner by himself in a pub, then off to the noisy bar for the evening. Later that night he came running up the stairs to the hotel room to tell D3 how super fun it was at the bar and she just had to come & join him! I felt left out, deprived, & embarrassed about not fitting into the culture in Ireland and for ruining his trip there. And here I thought it wouldn’t matter what was in my glass! Went back to trying to drink at that point.

Jane, how did you solve some of the issues that you felt were driving your drinking: did you sell the big house that demanded too much maintenance & repairs?

So some people do eat crickets, Kensho! A low-carb treat...

Yes, it definitely is hard to suddenly feel the emotions again when the numbing drink is gone, LC.
                                And it turns out that a lot of drinking is to numb the angry emotions we feel towards people: drinking AT people, as is often pointed out here. And Ava had that mirrored back to her when staying with that angry drinking lady. Interesting, Ava, how you say she harped on how she had so much to do but did nothing! Heavy boozing ends up making us so sluggish.

Your Hag sure has it in for you, Byrdie! Sheesh

Ava, that baby is such a cutie! It is so weird now that our kids’ friends and the neighbors’ kids are now the age we were when we first met them as children!

Pav, good point that a drink does work fast to smooth the rough edges, but for us one drink is just the beginning of creating cravings for another & another & another. And that is not relaxing.

Wishing all a good AF night!
                                Last edited by Slo; January 9, 2019, 10:04 PM.
                                Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Working...
                                X