Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Originally posted by Feebee View Post
    Guitarista made me laugh out loud. BBQ crickets.
    :haha::haha::haha:
    Honestly! Who BBQ's Crickets? Everyone knows they are best FRIED! B
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hi nesters,haha you guys and your cricket talk,I've had some that were from a novelty shop,they didnt taste like anything just crunchy LC,seems like you have a lot of insight with your thoughts this go around,I think thats great! I just get tired of thinking about it tbh,wish it wasn't a "thing" at all in my life,Ava,so sorry about your mom and son not getting along,how upsetting waves to all and wishes for a happy AF Friday!
      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Happy Un Hung Friday everyone. Going to the market and then out with my mom.

I have Been listening to a Podcast called ‘Teachers Pet’ it is an Australian Podcast so it’s hard to understand, haha kidding. Anyway, it is really good. Have you listened to it Ava? I think it was a big deal in Australia. I am really enjoying it.

Good job LC. I have written about the last three really bad drinking day stories in my iPhone notes. I read them sometimes when I think I need a drink. They set me straight. I don’t want to go to Boozeville, it is miserable.

Happy Friday!
        Last edited by narilly; January 11, 2019, 12:05 PM.
        Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
        "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Pauly, I prayed for the day when AL wasn't a thing, and as hard as it was for me to quit the cycle of drinking, I NEVER thought the day would come when I didn't think about it and long for it. Every day at 5, there was a hard PULL to give way, but I didn't. Then one day I realized I hadn't thought about it AT ALL that day! It was a long time coming with me. If you stick to it and take the option off the table for once and for all, it will come to you also. As long as I kept a glimmer of hope alive about AL, I could never shake its grip.

It reminds me of the issues I'm having with my new half siblings that don't want anything to do with my sister and me. Right now, I'm holding on to hope they will change their minds. In spite of two pointed letters they've written us, I still HOPE they will find it in their hearts to accept us. I will be glad when I accept that they are not going to. Once I can do that, I think I can move on! It IS a process....a long one, in my case, I just don't know when to let go!

It's only Friday, nesters, not a ticket to BoozeVille! Byrdie
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hola nesters,

I just saw a glossy brochure in the travel agent window whilst shopping earlier. It depicted a big bright cruise liner heading out on a smooth glassy ocean, under warm sunny skies. People were laughing and singing, and kids were playing. I turned the page to check the price and destination and what did i find? Dark cloudy skies, the sea had turned choppy and rough, kids were lost, people screaming and crying everywhere as the big fun holiday cruise headed south to boozeville. Crew had abandoned ship. The ticket had no price, but i note it was one way.

No ticket to boozeville here. have a great weekend out there.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Originally posted by Pavati View Post
              SLO, that sounds like a miserable trip to Ireland on a lot of levels. I think sometimes our drinking buddies are threatened by our quitting, and for me, fear of disappointing my drinking buddies was a deterrent to quitting. Glad you don't drink now.
              Pav
              I think you’re right, Pav, that he probably was threatened by my quitting. That can help me find a little compassion. Also I think he wanted to act like his dad, who was very disappointed about his own trip to Ireland with his wife & two daughters, because they did things like tour the Waterford glass factory, and he wanted to be drinking in the pubs. His dad was a very alcohol-dependent and alcohol-centric person.

So yes, my fear of disappointing my drinking buddy and being excluded was a real deterrent to my quitting. But! -I have learned to become like what Pauly says, and just block out others around me and do my own thing. Yes, Pauly, that is the way to be successful at this.

Pauly & LC, the drinking thoughts & urges that you are experiencing are hard & annoying. Like Byrdie says, it does ease up with more distance from your last drinking session. Pauly, hope today was easier that way than yesterday was, even though it is Friday. LC, excited for you that you have three weeks off and a change of scenery!

Thanks for the vivid picture of the one-way ticket to Boozeville, G! There’s a lot of truth to it.

Your mother sounds a lot like my mother, Ava: needs to be the focus of attention. Sorry the roommate situation fell apart between your son & mother. It was a good solution in a number of ways.

Speaking of mothers, Narilly, that is nice that you have had the extra time to spend with your mother & MIL!

Wishing a good AF Friday to all, including Wagmor, Kensho, Lav, Feebee, & NS too!
              Last edited by Slo; January 11, 2019, 07:10 PM.
              Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Just dealing with very cold temps & getting ready for a touch of sn*w this weekend. It's not supposed to be a lot - at least that's the prediction.
                I'm getting my grandsons tomorrow morning at 7:45 am. I have a feeling it's going to be a very long day, haha!
                We have to be out of here by 8 am Sunday to help our daughter & son-in-law out with a home project. I'm going to need a vacation after this weekend, glad I don't drink.

Nar, Ava & everyone able to spend time with their mothers - please enjoy your time together. My mom has been gone 32 years & I wish I could spend a day with her. I have no sisters so I have felt very alone all these years.

Working on my gratitude all these years since I quit has helped me put AL completely out of my mind, honestly. I realized pretty early on that AL was no friend of mine & would never, ever solve my problems. I have to do that on my own so I am grateful to have the clear head

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Lav,yep,my mom's a HUGE pain in the ass but ever since we lost my brother I'm more aware that the time I have with her is precious,maybe annoying at times but precious,I just got off the phone with her and she'd been drinking but I just laughed along with her and just appreciated her voice
                  I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                  Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Pauly, that’s a tough one, I’m lucky my mom doesn’t drink. It’s good you can laugh with her even though she is drinking.

Thanks Lav, I do appreciate the time I have with my mom and my MIL. I am going to a movie with my mil tomorrow night. Did you say Snow? Oh my, we are having a super mild winter this year, it is weird.

SLO, that’s a tough one with your hubby. The Waterford glass factory sounds amazing by the way.

So it’s Friday and I am watching tv, going to have a bath and sleep.

No trip to Boozeville here. GMan the travel brochure was scary!
                    Narilly

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

I didn’t go to the Waterford glass factory. I was describing when my sister-in-laws arranged a trip to Ireland with their parents, my in-laws, because my MIL always loved Irish-ness. They went on tours and had tea in cafes, then my FIL comes home and tells my HB, his son, how much he hated it because he wanted to be hanging out in the pubs.
                      So when we go, my HB acts like his dad and keeps letting me know how much my abstention is ruining his good time.
                      Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Why would your abstinence ruin his good time [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION]? Just remind him that his drinking didn't ruin your chance at a good drunk! He's lost a drinking partner is all, and he's worrying he'll have to drink less as well, not your problem....
                        Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                        Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                        Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Good morning everyone, I am up early and Un Hung on Saturday. This traditionally was a big hangover day for me. Now I can actually enjoy my Saturday mornings, how nice.
                          SLO, your hubby got to go to Ireland! Sheesh. I second hat cowboy says. He should be proud of you not drinking there. I am afraid to go to Ireland because drink is so much a part of the culture.

Have a great sober Sunday everyone!
                          Narilly

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Hi, All--

A lot of great reading this morning as I missed yesterday.

Pauly - I'm pretty sure you know about PAWS, but for those of you who don't, Google it. Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome. It is something I didn't think I would get because I didn't have that total physical dependence on alcohol, but reading about it, and then feeling like that, made me wonder. I was lucky enough to quit about a year after NoSugar and she shares my love for science, so we did a lot of reading about addiction, brains, etc. Sorry you had that intense craving but glad you made it through.

LC - You sound great. It is so freeing to take the choice of alcohol OFF the table. G and LC, I'll try to post that exercise this weekend.

Nar - that memory of the Thanksgiving Massacre is ETCHED in my mind, but reading those first posts of mine when NS dragged them up brought that feeling of fear and pain rushing back. I NEVER want to feel like that again, so playing it forward has always worked for me.

Wags - GO you on almost quadruple digits.

FRee - it is SO freeing to give up alcohol. I think of all of the brain space I freed up when I took alcohol out of the equation!

Ava - what a nightmare. That does sound like a perfect setup. My father-in-law lives alone and it is not good at this point. Your mom sounds quite ornery - has she always been? Sometimes it can be a sign of underlying dementia of some type. I recommend Being Mortal by Atul Gawande. He gave me good perspective on letting old people do what they really want to do (within reason), not what we want them to do.

I sort of think I would like crickets prepared the right way - fried with plenty of salt.

Off to get some work done this morning so I can put it out of my mind for the rest of the weekend. Happy SOBER Saturday.
                            Hi to everyone I didn't mention. Thanks for being here for me!

Pav

Comment

Hi Nesters,

quick check in on my way to bed after a loooong but successful day at the school.. for my youngest. I'm pretty darn proud of her.
                              will write first thing in the morning to catch up.. but didn't want to miss a day of at least saying BOO..xx

Comment

Good night, LC :hug:

Comment

Working...
                                X