Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

morning nesters

I need a holiday, ha ha. Working from home for the second day. i feel guilty for some reason but i am with Mads and that is all that matters. She loves me being around and i enjoy working and being with her. I have everything set up and organised though IT at work instead of diverting my work phone to my work mobile disconnected my work phone. Its a challenge some days. Today i cannot log onto my emails and emails are my life with work. It will work itself out and i have plenty to keep me occupied.

Wags, what a tosser that osteopath was, you dont need people like that in your life lovely. You are a fighter and even though i dont know you, you are definitely normal and strong and independent and together. I am lucky that the doctors i work with (young and old) are very respectful to our patients and treat them with the respect they deserve, they are out there and you will find one that listens to you. Glad you are feeling better and you didnt drink, its not you, its him.

LC, i hope you are enjoying your break. It is unbelievable that it doesnt matter how early you get to the airport you can start drinking. i used to love going to the airport! Congrats on your 30 days and its amazing how you learn and grow in sobriety. Your tools will grow and you will get stronger each and every day. Those situations will arise in the first year that will test your limits but nothing and no one are worth drinking at.

Pauly, i am not a good flyer either, i go to the doctors and get Valium, its about the only way you will get me on a plane. My anxiety has lessened so much since i stopped drinking though menopause has bought it to the fore again.

Slo, it is a joy to work with someone who will ask for help and you can work as a team. When the Professor asked me to help her along, i said it would be a breath of fresh air to have someone that wanted to work as a team and would be there to help. He just nodded and said that he hopes we can keep her, so obviously he knew what the old PA was like. He made a bad choice employing her but a great one in giving me new position to make my own.

Time for another cuppa and to start the day. take care xx
    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Howdy y'all, just had to jump in and say something about what [MENTION=20476]KENSHO[/MENTION] said; "I have some work to do because I'm only 43 and these issues can be progressive." Most people would have said already 43! Now that's what I call positive thinking, well done Kensho!
      Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
      Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
      Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Busy day doing nothing vitally important but that's OK with me
        Not exactly looking forward to this three day weather event we've been promised but what can you do? I baked up four seed cakes for the chickens. It takes them all day to peck one of them apart & that's better than having them peck on each other when cooped up due to weather. Lav = the eternal peacekeeper, haha!!

LC, glad you are enjoying your visit & spending time with your folks.

Ava, once you get your home office set up you're never going to want to leave. There's something to be said for having a peaceful work environment. Glad Mads is enjoying your presence.

I think it was Slo who mentioned going DF & GF for joint pain relief. I went DF 15 years ago because of digestive difficulties & was also blessed with getting 99% relief from joint pain! Turns out dairy is more inflammatory than I ever realized. Cutting back on gluten helps me in a lots of ways too. I hope you find good relief.

Hello to Pav & Kensho & I just want to tell you that it is true, things get harder to manage after menopause. It's like you end up with a completely different body & metabolism. What used to work before no longer applies. Wish I had better news for you guys.

NS, I rarely think of AL but when I do I think in terms of 'I used to drink that but not anymore' if that makes sense

Hi there G & the travelling Byrdie!

Hello to anyone I've missed & wishing for a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Great post NS. Yeah, we make up our reality that is for sure.

SLO, next time I talk to Rory I will let him know that I quit drinking. We always have so much to talk about I haven’t been able to fit the AL talk in. Hope your diet is working for you.

I lost my post from earlier today ugh.

Pav, that made me laugh, holding someone’s hand hen you were scared on a flight! Hilarious
          Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
          "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Thank you all again. Some really great stuff to digest and think on over the past few days. I really appreciate all of your resounding support that I am not broken and that not a single one of us is. Love the plant analogy, and really appreciate the links [MENTION=18725]NoSugar[/MENTION]. For anyone who has PM'ed me, I just wanted to mention that I am actually here in MWO twice: I am wagmore (with an 'e') and wagmor (without). The one with an e is my old one from 2014, which I lost access to during the platform transition a few years ago. When I joined again in 2016, I couldn't get to wagmore so I started a new profile wagmor.

Just wanted to mention it as I've seen [MENTION=21027]wagmore[/MENTION] in a few tags and realized those are going to a profile that is lost in the ether.

Ok, so I've got the three principles and yoga to start with. I feel well armed and am ready to dive into a weekend of exploration. Who knows - maybe what felt like an awful experience with the osteopath will turn out to be a big gift he unintentionally gave me!

LC - belated congrats on 30 days!!! I hope you have a wonderful time in the desert. I've always felt a real kinship with the desert, even though I've never actually lived "in" one (unless you count So Cal, which is technically all desert). I've had many hiking and camping outings in various deserts and just really love how they feel, smell, look under different light at different times of day. I've gone to the desert to heal many a time in my life. I hope your time there is restorative.

Ava - glad you're able to be home with Mads :heartbeat:

Byrdie - enjoy the Caribbean vacation! Laughed out loud at your post

Lav - yep, walking out is what I should have done, and I guess I kind of did but it was at the end of the appt and it was more like I left dumbstruck and astonished. By the time I got halfway home from the appt (I walked there and back), I was a bit more indignant and actually angry. I know Drs are not all good at all aspects of their work, and they have to have a broad range of skills. But when they simply are stumped and don't know how to help someone, that's where referral networks come in handy - it's ok to be honest and say you might not be the person to help, but don't make it "because the person might not be help-able." Sheesh!

Ok everyone, it's Friday day or eve, and I hope you all have great weekends coming up! Hugs all the way around :hug:
            Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

AVA, its so nice you can work from home for a bit. I often think on the concept of “later in life, what will I be glad I did…” and “working more” is never on that list. “Loving my friends, family (and that includes pets)” is top on that list.

LAV, thanks for the reminder that we are promised nothing. I have to commit to taking better care of my body now.

LC and Wags - I love the Phoenix area. Such a foreign pace to me - I’m a mountain girl. There's such a feeling of peace there, with the lizards, cactus, and I find the smells amazing. And the colors in the light are so different. LC - enjoy your trip.

Slo, I did not remain DF/GF over the holidays. I had quite a bit of pain too. Still struggling with being restrictive at nice restaurants. During the week, it’s easy, but the weekends are hard. I need to give it a solid 2 months again though. My neck is pretty painful. I don't think food is the cause of my neck pain, but it certainly inflames it.

*** So….. HERE’S A MUST READ ***

I asked my 9 yr old daughter this morning if she remembers when I used to drink. She said yes. I asked her if I seem different now. Here’s her response verbatem:

“You are more loving with your family and you are there for us. You seem more happier. You give us more hugs and you smile more.”

We were interrupted but my heart was already soaring. She said a few other things (and yes, we need to work on her grammar) - but the summary was that she feels more secure and looked after and loved. I never want to become that other shell of a person again - I was ignoring what was so special right in front of my face. I would drink each night and go to another planet - they could feel my distance and desire to be anywhere but there with them. How terrible that must have felt - Mom doesn’t want to be here with us. Now, though I am sometimes distracted with work and my head is often full of everything on my plate - I take those moments to acknowledge them, and listen to their accounts of their day, and shower them with kisses and make sure they feel safe in their own home. I am their safe place, and their unconditional place and everyone needs a place like that.

THANK GOD I STOPPED DRINKING.
              Last edited by KENSHO; January 18, 2019, 11:11 AM.
              Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

[MENTION=20476]KENSHO[/MENTION], That brought tears to my eyes. I'm so happy for you and your family. xx, NS

Comment

Love that Kensho! thanks for sharing!
                  I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                  Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Happy jet-lagged Friday, Nesters!

Kensho, what a lovely post. I am so happy for you, that you can now see and be there for your children 100%.. Here's to being present, loving fully, taking care, showing good examples, listening and helping, the list goes on and on.:hug:

How're you doing today, Pauly? Any nice plans for the weekdend?
                    Lav, seed cakes sound yummy.. lucky chickens! Wouldn't mind having one myself.. with my afternoon coffee!

Not a lot to report on here.. went on a nice desert walk with my mom this morning.. then we got some sauerkraut started. Had a nap, read a bit.. I surely can't complain.
                    Wishing everyone a nice Friday.. xx

Comment

Hola friends!

Wags, i love that perspective that the experience with the osteo has been turned into a motivating, inspiring positive! Does that fella know he is a zen guru? :congratulatory:

Friend Kensho! Wowza. What a post. All i can think of is love right now. Thank you good buddy. :heartbeat:

Yo LC. Loving fully, being present, living by example......love it mi amiga. How is your trip so far?

Speaking of full hearts and lurrrvve, i've been kinda courting a chica from ecuador recently. She sure looks gorgeous and seems fairly stable as in has a healthy grip on reality lol. She has 2 kids, and is open to more......Anyway, she's still happy to meet me even after a couple of months of 'iffy' undecided attitude from me. The fact is, i should meet her as she somehow remains interested. I'm about to play her some guitar over the phone. Our first phone convo! I don't speak Spanish lol. Wish me luck.

It's a lazy beautiful saturday morning here. Nowhere to be. 2 Gigs tomorrow! Oh yeah! No ticket to boozeville here. I wouldn't even remember which train to catch anymore. Go git it pilgrims.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Kensho, THANK GOD I SOPPED DRINKING, I second that! What a nice story, your daughter hit the nail on the head :heartbeat:

Just hanging out on a cold Friday night, no thoughts of drinking here.
                        Narilly

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

We had round 1 of the three day storm last night. Can't wait for round 2 tomorrow, haha!!! I know I do a lot of weather complaining but it does kind of help take the stress off

LC, those seed cakes are made with chicken scratch, oyster shell, whole oats & whatever I can find in the pantry. They're held together with 4 eggs (including the shells) & a whole lot of molasses. They're baked very hard & the hens have to attack them like woodpeckers if you know what I mean. They don't get any coffee with their cakes, LOL
                          Glad you are enjoying your visit!

Kensho, obviously your daughter has seen a big change in you, that's very sweet. Holding on to your quit is even more important now :hug:

Wags, I was all of 32 or so when I had that incident with that rude doc. I can't even imagine how I would handle that situation now - I may punch him or something, haha!
                          I found out that he passed away a year or two later & he was only a few years older than me ~ Karma??
                          Glad you are figuring stuff out, I knew you would!

G, I would say it's time for you to learn some Spanish dude
                          Good luck!

Hi to Nar & everyone!
                          Byrdie, I hope you are on your way home before conditions get too bad. Safe travels!

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Kensho, out of the mouths of babes...that’s good reinforcement to stay on the AF path!

I enjoyed hearing about how you make a pecking ring for a treat & a distraction for the chickens, Lav. Our snow has arrived now too.

I’m trying a DF & GF diet because they are supposed to help with my vitamin A overload. They are hard to do in restaurants! Last night we went out for fish fry in honor of my FIL, and I managed it...but no near beer, no bread basket, & no fried fish! At least staying AF feels ok now when eating out.

Good luck with your new romance, G!
                            Last edited by Slo; January 19, 2019, 08:24 AM.
                            Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Good morning everyone, nice to wake up early on a Saturday and feel good.

Lav, your recipe for your chickens sounds very interesting. I’ve never had to take care of chickens but I would love to do it. Farming is in my blood and I have always been interested in it.

SLO, way to go with supper last night, it’s great to hear that you did not have trouble avoiding AL at supper.

Well, it’s off to the market today. It’s still colder than hell right now -17C but should be warming up to 2C, which is a crazy variation. We get chinooks in Calgary which are warm winds coming from the mountains. This can lead to a 20 degree variation in our temps.

Have a great day everyone and don’t drink today.

Xo
                              Narilly

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Happy Saturday, all:

NS - I meant preach in a good way, not preachy. Inspiring. I find your approach so logical and that appeals to the science nerd in me.

Lav - How many chickens do you have? Do your neighbors mind? Maybe I should make all of my food hard so I eat it more slowly...

G - You definitely need to learn Spanish. How did you meet her? Intriguing.

Kensho - loved that post. My kids were older when I finally quit, but my younger said to me after one year that I was going to be his role model in not drinking (of course that changed with the teen years...)

Ava - Enjoy working from home - that is nice that your bosses respect your opinion and even asked you.

Off to get some things done. Have great weekends, all.

Pav

Comment

Working...
                                X