X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters & Happy Valentine's Day if you celebrate such things

LC, take some deep breaths, say OM, everything is going to be OK :hug:
    We women try so hard to take care of everything & everyone. No wonder we wear ourselves out.

Kensho, I hope your interview goes well. You are really moving on with everything in life, good for you!

NS, I read that article yesterday & thought it would be good to post here, thanks.

Slo, my chickens are so happy egg production is picking up, haha! Wait until they find out that spring is probably not around the corner yet.
    Falls are scary, be careful out there!

G, I hope your travel plans work out to everyone's liking. I want to turn the TV on & see you playing on 'Austin city Limits'

Byrdie, tomorrow is Friday, thank goodness!

Hello to Pav, wags & everyone.
    Wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

[MENTION=20476]KENSHO[/MENTION] - I missed your interview comment when I was catching up this morning - how did it go??? Hoping to hear you knocked it out of the park!
      [MENTION=18725]NoSugar[/MENTION] - Thanks for finding me!!! Wow, I thought I was on here longer than 3-4 months back in 2014 (mostly like joined earlier) but I guess not. Anyway, I'm glad I've stuck with it this time and have 2+ years and counting this time
      [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION] - sorry to hear about the falls on the ice. Those are scary and happen so fast! Glad you'll get a little break above freezing before the big chill returns.

Tomorrow is Friday!!!!
      Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi, Nest--

Whoa these two days before the long weekend are ROUGH right now. We have a number of staff members out for various reasons, and that puts everything on a few people. I am not looking forward to today.

I was reading a magazine story written by a man who had seriously contemplated suicide a number of times. He had an alcoholic mother and father who used to fight all of the time (very physically), and had a very tough life. That inter-generational trauma is so tough. I see it all of the time in my work. The good news is that with the right relationships, resources, opportunities, and understanding of it, the cycle can be broken. I thought of us because of his description of his mom - she had gotten to a point where she was essentially trying to kill herself by drinking, and had been through many rehabs, etc. The final one, where he went to basically save her life, worked. She's been sober ever since.

That story stuck with me. There's no lost hope. All you lurkers, keep coming back. One of these times this will work.

Pav

Comment

Hey hey, I am back! I was in Mexico for two weeks and could not log on which was frustrating. Holidays have always been a hard time for me but not this time.
          One of the people I met at the resort kept saying ‘come on, have a drink’ I wanted to tell her to F off, haha. I just said no and ignored her.

Hey and, thanks for the link, I will listen to that. Pav, that is a good story you read, yes, there is always hope. Look at us!

I am so brown, it’s pretty neat, I went from +28 to -20. Holy crap! When I was in Mexico I had a sip of a margerita by accident and just about choked. Wow, i just let it slide and kept drinking my virgin margarita, no sweat. I did not want to lose my quit.

Glad to be back, hola to all of you my wonderful amigos
          Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
          "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Morning nesters

Nar, great to see you back and you had a great holiday. That change in temp must have been hard to cope with. I did notice you were really brown in a photo, my colour is white or off white and throw in some red if i stay in the sun longer than 5 minutes! Oh people who pressure you are just treasures arent they, i would have had the same thoughts exactly.

Pav, i never thought i was that bad, i wasnt living on the street and homeless due to my drinking which is what everyone used to think was an alcoholic. Mind you i was lucky i wasnt on the street letting my bills go unpaid etc. It has taken me years to get back on track.

Good to see you back LC, stress is a major trigger for me and living with my thoughts is never good. Now i dont smoke or drink it scares me to think of my fall back for when i do get stressed as it builds and builds but i have been putting one foot in front of the other trying to learn new tools to get me through. I hope Oma is ok.

Hope all went well with your interview Kensho.

I have been hit with a gastro bug the last few days but feeling more human now. Mads is slow coming around to carl but of course his puppy excitement with life is a bit much for her patience!

Take care xx
            AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Narilly, welcome back!
              I admire you people who can go on vacation to such places as a resort in Mexico and not drink! Of course, what choice do we have? Other than to not go at all, and miss out on a vacation. I’m just not quite ready for that yet. A guy from the Cattleman Cafe thread went to one also in January, but he didn’t come back to MWO afterwards, so not sure he made it through. So thanks for reporting your success! If Narilly can do it, I can (someday) do it too!

Ava, yeah, a puppy is hard for an old, sick dog to get used to! She’ll grow to appreciate the new companion though.
              I also turn from white to red, with no tan!
              Thankfully no stomach bug here, just an annoying cold.

Thank you for the story, Pav. You brought up a real truth that inter-generational trauma fuels a lot of addiction. Happy ending on that one as one day it clicked for her, when it didn’t look like it would.

Best of luck & skill to everyone dealing with stress, and getting triggered by stress. Stay strong!
              Last edited by Slo; February 15, 2019, 05:28 PM.
              Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

TFIF.
                Another day done with this soul-sucking job. A 3 day weekend, I am so happy about that. Hope everyone has an easy evening. Byrdie
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Wow, we were blessed with a sunny 63 degree day
                  Tomorrow it goes back to being cold & I hear there's snow & ice due here next Wednesday. Of course there is, haha!!
                  We drove the hour to our daughter's house today to get some electrical work done for them while they are away on vacation. I took my dog along for the ride & realized today was the first time she's ever walked on a sidewalk & she just turned 7!!! We went for a long walk while my husband was getting the wiring done & really enjoyed the weather.

Narilly, welcome back & glad to hear you had a great AF vacation! It is possible to do such a thing, I've done it too
                  I hope you don't have too hard a time readjusting to the land of frozen, LOL

Pav, I hope your day went OK despite the lack of staff. Sometimes when you expect the worst things turn out just fine, right?

Byrdie, enjoy your 3 days of freedom!

Hello to Slo, Ava, Wags & everyone.

Wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hola mi amiga's!

Welcome back Narilly. Where did u go in mexico? What was it like? I've never been but i'm going one day soon. Take care in the snow.

Big waves to all, especially Mads and Carl.

Lazy saturday here. Running to the beach. 26C and sunny. Right on umpire.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Goodnight everyone, thanks for the welcome back, I missed you all.

Ava, I can just imagine what you would say to someone pressuring you to drink. I am sure it would be very entertaining It is so nice that Carl is fitting in, he is adorable.
                      SLO, you will be able to go on a trip without drinking. When I was trying to quit one of the last times that is when I would cave, on a holiday. I remember the last holiday to Florida and I started drinking wine, I just did not have the mindset to quit yet. I did end up quitting a few months later and have been sober since. You can do it too slo!

Byrdie, TGIF, I know how much it sucks to have a job you hate. Enjoy your weekend, you deserve it.

Lav, you are lucky with your weather, it is colder than hell here and snowing.

G, I went to Puerto Vallarta, it was really nice, we stayed on the marina. I would highly recommend it. It was an all inclusive resort called the Vamar Vallarta. All inclusive can be tough for us alkies but I did not have a problem. I felt very safe there, the people were really nice and the weather amazing.
                      By the way, thanks for the advice you gave me on meditation for my hubby, it was much appreciated.

Well goodnight everyone, have a productive, sober weekend.
                      Narilly

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Originally posted by KENSHO View Post
                        It's like you have a hole in the ground. And you fill it with alcohol every day. Once you stop filling it with alcohol - it just feels empty for awhile. Slowly, you will find other - much more meaningful seeds to plant - and with time they will grow beautiful things! But if you just cave and fill it with alcohol, you will never have anything but a boozy mud pit.!
                        Right on KENSHO, great analogy. The hole is my visual mantra..

How'd your interview go?

So, you're on the verge of a new business venture? I am too, and i'm freaking out.. It takes a lot to trust another, but am either going to do it on my own, or talk to potential partner seriously, laying it all on the line.

*update ploise *

[MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION]: careful on that ice. It could be dangerous and you should practice extra precautions around your head (head injuries can ruin lives)..

[MENTION=23208]wagmor[/MENTION]: hi

[MENTION=22154]Pav[/MENTION]: that's an incredible story about the mother finally getting sober. I think that if we can heal the cause for our drinking, we have a better change of anstinence / sobriety. Like KENSHO's analogy, we will fill the hole with whatever substance in order to feel 'whole'. Trick is to fill it with other stuff..

ova: I do not wish gastro on anyone, not even my greatest enemy (not that i have many of those!).. It is the worst! You poor thing. All you can do is rest, let the body purge and your body will tell you when it's all over.

Feeling a bit 'witching hour-ish' here, but having early dinner and reading here reminds me of why i will not do it today.

Thank you

Hello to nosugar, Guitarista, narilly, Byrdlady and all others reading

Have a safe weekend
                        One day at a time.. Sometimes it's one minute or one second at a time.. Most important thing is to look ahead and don't look back!

Comment

Hi Nesters, hope everyone is well (@available hope you are feeling better). I had a gaggle of teens here last night and a husband who opened a bottle of wine. I kept my distance though. And I had to drive boyfriend home and never want to be a bad example to those teens. Husband had one glass of wine and fell asleep in the Barcalounger...holding a book as if he was still reading it. lol.

So thankful for these hangover free weekend mornings. [MENTION=1354]narilly[/MENTION] glad to see you back. awesome job on the AF holiday to boozeland in Mexico. [MENTION=8356]Lavande[/MENTION], same weather here. like a roller coaster. I hear there is a threat of winter weather next week. The crocuses should be out and I always look for them mid February in a park near my house. perhaps I'll go out for that walk today before it gets too cold again.

take care, everyone!
                          BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Hi, All:

Lav - as usual, you're right. It wasn't nearly as hectic as I thought, and I'm still happy it is the weekend.

Glad to see you back, Narilly. I don't have nearly the cold you do, but I would enjoy a stint on a warm beach about now. I have come to be grateful for those sober vacations.

Byrdie - any way you can free your soul and look for another job or retire? I'm so sorry you're having such a terrible time at work when work is most of our waking hours.

Ava - take care of yourself and I hope you feel better soon. I might be in the Mads camp - not sure I have the energy for a puppy just now.

Belle - Setting a good example for teens is what it is all about. I love being able to pick mine up whenever they call (if needed).

Went to a high school basketball game last night. One of the dads was drunk (or VERY hungover) for sure. That makes me uncomfortable - at a high school basketball game? Really?

Happy SOBER Saturday, all.

Pav

Comment

Thanks, all. Pav, at 59 years old, I can’t imagine 1/ any sales organization hiring me 2/ starting over again. What is keeping me here is that I’m trying to close 2 big deals. They should have happened months ago, but for one reason or the other, have dragged on mercilessly. I just can’t see leaving and letting that commission fall in the lap of another rep. I decided a couple months ago to do the bare minimum and I am still amazed that it is taking everything I can do to keep up. Since the departure of our former boss, more has been dumped on us by the admin folks and the project managers. There is a lot of jockeying. Our new boss doesn’t have the experience to be effective yet. In fact, things have actually gotten worse since he got here. I am just taking it one day at a time. A skill that has served me well.

Tomorrow, we are having lunch with my new half brother. Looking forward to that.
                              Hang in everybody. The MindPeace is worth the effort. Byrdie
                              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Byrdie, I understand the situation you are in. Like you said, taking it day by day will get you through. One day this job will just be a memory. It’s so good you don’t drink!

Belle, ya, the Un Hung mornings are awesome, I was grateful everyday of my vacation not to be hungover. I spent so many vacations being hungover, ugh.

Pav, isn’t it amazing to see drunk people now? It makes me grateful to be sober. Ya, the beach was SO nice. It is f’n freezing here, blizzard conditions. I froze my hands shoveling snow and they hurt like crazy. This would have been a good excuse to drink a warm toddy befor but today I am having tea

Change, I love the quot from Kensho, what a great analogy. I will remember that one.

Stay warm everyone. I know you are warm Ava, hot actually!
                                Narilly

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Working...
                                X