Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

LC, so glad you are here posting. You can do this! It’s persistence not perfection right? I had the same experience where I would quit and then drink, it happened quite a few times but the quit times kept getting longer and longer. Keep making those sober pathways in your brain, I have faith in you :heartbeat: Keep moving forward girl!

Pav, I think Mexican Canadian food would be th same as Mexican American, and yes, it was delicious. It is so nice to just go home instead of going to a loud bar. I feel like I would do the same.
    SLO, I hope you are feeling better.
    It’s -23 here this morning, holy crap. Very cold.
    Enjoy your holiday Byrdie xo

Hello G, Lav, Belle, Ava (crazy dog lady)

Don’t drink today.
    Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
    "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Morning nesters

Wags, im sorry, i meant to pass on my thoughts to your fam yesterday and the operation coming up, i hope it goes well. I am not a very patient nursemaid, i put that down to working in a hospital environment. Take care of yourself in the next few weeks.

LC, like Pav, i thought you had drank and as frustrating as it is for you, you will get there if you let yourself learn and grow. I have decided that i wont drink or smoke at anyone, my life and health are important to me and as shit as life is sometimes, drinking wont solve those issues, make them better or relieve the stress we feel. As i realise i have to let go of my stress, learning to do that is hard and frustrating and its dolly steps each and every day but im on the road.

Pav, peri menopause (awful name) is a shocker, im sure people think i am crackers with my moods being up and down and all over the planet but im trying to keep my shit together as hard as it is. Walking with mads i am finding is doing my mental state the world of good and she is starting to enjoy these walks. what i cant understand is why she is puffing when we get home! must be hard work being pushed around.

NS thank goodness i wasnt a beer drinker, now back in the day if it was wine on tap i would have been one happy alkie. That outing would have been one that i would not have accepted for sure. glad you kind of had a nice time though.

Mum is coming down today for a skin cancer apt and it will be lovely to see her i am secretly grateful that she is not staying though.

take care x
      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Hola nesters near and not so far,

LC, in my mind you are a total raaaaawk STAR. You haven't given up on yourself. 50 + AF days is hyuuuuge. Life can be overwhelming and i think it's important to get some sort of inner sanctum built or developed. You will be ok mi amiga.

I was thinking this morning how my sobriety really is a solid anchor in this sometimes crazy, amazing and chaotic life. Amongst the madness, my centre remains calm. I try to remember 2 approaches to my day each morning (we only have today). Perspective and gratitude. My mental outlook is really important to me. I attack worry or stress at it's core these days and work it out. I won't hide from it or from myself. And it's ok. For me, as long as i am doing things i love to do regularly then i am reasonably content within. My day needs to align with my truth and my personal mission statement for life. If i'm going in the opposite direction, i feel it soon enough and i am out of balance/out of whack. So then in the past i would drink or not take small (daily) steps to change my situation.

Byrdy! How did your family gathering go? Sounds super special.

Pavi! Coffee wit u? You betcha! That'd be a blast. Ava, coffee soon mi amiga.

Wagarama, good luck with all of that. The plumbing sounds like the most pressing issue maybe from here, which includes your dad's comfort. I reckon your partner will be fine.

Big waves to y'all. Living sober is so special and badass isn't it? There are no negatives in being sober.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Wags, I hope the surgery went well. That would be a tough piece of business to not move your arm for that long, but as we know, you can do anything if you set your mind to it. Wishing you and SO the best. Gentle hugs.

We we had an absolutely wonderful visit with my half brother and his wife. They are great people, I have a hunch that he would do anything in the world for family. We have so much in common, I’m fascinated with the nature vs nurture debate, it’s crazy how much of our internal makeup is determined by heredity. It couldn’t have gone better. We are going to try and get together again next month.

LC, I found it extremely helpful in the beginning to put myself in the service of others. I tended to feel sorry for myself because I didn’t get to drink anymore. I took my little dog to a local nursing home. That really put things in to perspective for me. There were folks there that didn’t see a soul (other than the staff) for weeks. Talk about gratifying, those people were so happy to talk to someone and you could see the joy on their faces. They had lost their independence, many, their ability to walk. My not being able to drink seemed like small potatoes compared to them. It really helped me. Wishing you strength.

Slo, I try to have things on hand for colds and stuff that do not contain AL and there are plenty of them out there. I don’t want to wait until I’m sick to try and get that stuff, as I may need to send my hubs and I want to make sure there is NO AL in the meds. Please be careful with NyQuil.

Hope everyone one has an easy evening. Back to the grind tomorrow. Yuck. Byrdie
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Feeling very chilly here once again, snow on the way for Wednesday, oh joy. I know better than to wish for an early spring, it gets here when it gets here.
            I went & got my hair cut, picked up some groceries & spent the afternoon creating a vegan lasagna with loads of veggies. I made homemade cashew 'ricotta' & mozzarella to go on top, yummy.

LC, I hope you are OK & am glad you are back with us :hug:
            I think the last thing we do when we quit (but most important thing) is work to convince ourselves that AL is never the answer. No matter what we are thinking, doing or feeling AL is never OK, never an option for us. And that is just the way it is, no ands, ifs or buts. If you read around the threads you'll find suggestions, things that other folks do to soothe feelings, emotions. Keep trying different things & see what brings you comfort. Personally, I like to busy myself with cooking, baking, sewing projects. When the weather is nice I like to work out in the gardens, even sit & observe the chickens. I like the way they peacefully spend their time out in their yard, hunting & pecking for bugs, haha! Somehow or another they make me feel peaceful too. Find a distraction that makes you feel peaceful too.

Hey there Ava, Narilly, G, NS, Pav, Byrdie, Slo, wags & everyone!

Let's all have a safe night in the nest!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi all,
              [MENTION=8356]Lavande[/MENTION]...I went out to look for the crocuses today...and sadly there were none. perhaps some crocus greenery started, but it seemed that the area that I usually see them this time of year was really saturated with water due to all the rain that we have had lately.

[MENTION=16186]available[/MENTION]...I'm a crazy dog lady also. I bought a stroller for my senior lady about a year ago. She Loves her stroller rides. she sits like a queen and looks around...right, left and center. She does turn around to make sure I am still there every now and then. it is a great solution now that she cannot walk great distances anymore. I still get my opportunity to walk and have some 'quality time' with her. Who cares what people think! I wish I could find a picture of her in her 'ride', but of course I cannot right now.

I have been thinking, that at least for right now, the biggest deterrent to drinking for me is those GSR tossers. of course there are plenty of reasons for not drinking, but if that is my deterrent right now, I'll have to go with it. I'm not sure what day I'm on, but not up to 30 yet.

[MENTION=15430]lifechange[/MENTION]...just keep going after it. you will succeed, you know how to do this.

Gotta go...daughter home from gymnastics. time to get some good food AND WATER into her.
              BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Morning Nesters,
                It is a good one, back on track in my mind.
                Thank you for all of the good tips. Sometimes I feel bad that you all have to repeat things so many times.. but then I think, it's probably helping someone else, too. And as you mentioned in the Army, NS, it reinforces it all for you to write it out, to help others who are struggling. I appreciate so much the patience you all show and the support you continue to give. This is a place of true recovery and growth.
                Pav and Ava, (and NS) I knew that you knew. I thought that everyone here could read between the lines and see that I wasn't being honest. It made me feel terrible, much worse than fessing up to my mistakes. Because in fessing up, being honest, I'm able to make the changes I need to make.

Wags, I hope the surgery went well for your partner.. I've been thinking of you.
                Would love to see pictures of little Mads in a stroller, Ava.. what a great idea! Yours too, Belle..
                Lav, watching chickens peck at the ground would make me feel more at peace as well.. Getting in some nature is on the top of my list.

ok. running off to work. see you in a bit.
                Wishing everyone a good Tuesday!xx

Comment

Good morning everyone, Belle, there are no Crocuses here either but it did warm up to -12C, yippee! Very nice compared to -23 and windy.

Life, look at all the fans you have here. dr Kelly says two things that are major helpers in staying sober are: persistence and accountability to a group (MWO, AA). You have both and you will be successful in your quest for sobriety.
                  I agree that we all learn from each other and whatever you go through helps other people that are going through the same thing.

I am on my way to Costco with my mom and my son.
                  Talk soon.
                  Narilly

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Morning nesters

Hump day here thank god. i have a handover meeting as a co-worker is going on leave and then i am leaving after that. i need to go through a 364 page document to find my job description to apply for a pay rise, why is it so difficult, oh thats right so they dont pay you more.

My old village idiot boss decided to have another go at me by email. shot him down in flames, useless twat. i will be emailing the professor telling him i wont be told what to do by that idiot.

Belle i am so happy there is another mad dog lady. Strollers arent very popular as yet over here and you do get a lot of looks but mads is starting to get used to it and it gives her a much needed break from carl. Great work on your days that you are working hard for.

LC, there is no need to be ashamed, we have all relapsed. I actually smoked a couple of days ago and have stopped again, i have made apts to go to the smoking clinic weekly to be more accountable. I was smoking AT someone and i have realised that it isnt hurting that person, they dont know, they dont care, i am only hurting myself. I do actually feel like i am on the right track and i look at the money i have saved and how i feel so much better, i dont want to smoke, it tasted awful, i may as well eaten an ashtray but i am grateful that my brain is starting to heal itself and my lungs, well they are loving this thing called breathing. The pharmacist is see told me not to think of it as a relapse as i stopped again very quickly but i have started up the receptors in my brain again that will crucify me to smoke. i wont let those bastards win. I am more important and i am the priority.

My daughter came for a visit yesterday apparently to seem myself and son but really just to see Carl. it was lovely to have her over. i slept so well for the first time in weeks as she was sleeping with me, i told her to come out more often.

Well back to the grind, hope all went well with the op Wags and your plumbing is fixed.

take care xx
                    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Ava, that’s so sweet that you slept well with the comfort of your daughter sleeping next to you! Daughters are a comfort. I hope she does come out more often.

I’ve seen people with tiny dogs that aren’t able to walk far, taking their dogs around in those strollers. I think it’s wonderful that you get Mads out & about in one. She needs the fresh air & change of scenery. And you too, Belle!

Yeah, that wasn’t a huge relapse on ciggies; not enough to undo all the healing you have undergone. And LC’s relapse with AL she said was a small-ish amount; not the same damage done as a full-blown relapse. And me accidentally swallowing a swallow of beer the other weekend was not a relapse. Even though this stuff still can/does fire up our pathways!

I love it, Ava, that you’re standing up to that old boss who’s still trying to mess with you!

[MENTION=23208]wagmor[/MENTION], good luck with getting your pipes diagnosed & fixed, and with your partner’s surgery on Thursday.

[MENTION=16180]BelleGirl[/MENTION], congratulations on your continued success slogging through the first month!

Costco...thought about it, but decided not to get a membership there. Maybe my loss though!

More later.
                      Last edited by Slo; February 19, 2019, 03:25 PM.
                      Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Originally posted by Slo View Post
                        Costco...thought about it, but decided not to get a membership there. Maybe my loss though!
                        I give my shopping list to my DIL and she gets the very few things that I want in such HUGE amounts!

Comment

Originally posted by NoSugar View Post
                          I give my shopping list to my DIL and she gets the very few things that I want in such HUGE amounts!
                          THAT’s the way to do it!
                          Last edited by Slo; February 19, 2019, 03:27 PM.
                          Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Hey nesters. Belle, the image of you with your dog in a stroller is just precious. Our Rubi loves her time out and about. Her little nose just takes it all in.
                            Stay strong, all, no matter what and no matter who. Byrdie
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Awaiting tomorrow's 5-7" of snow even though I didn't order any, Lol
                              Chilly of course so it's nice sitting near the fireplace

Costco memberships - I love Costco because you can get such a variety of things there. I don't like Costco when it's super busy & mobbed. I gave my daughter a membership for Christmas this past year. My son goes thru tires like crazy (he does so much driving) so he gets his tires at Costco. We have gotten furniture here & even a humongous pergola type thing for our deck. Of course I also pick up food, jeans, socks, haha!!!

Ava, sorry you were pushed into smoking again. How did you manage to quit right away? I never would be able to do that, good for you!

NS, I'm looking at that awesome white pizza recipe for tomorrow, yay!!!

Slo, how much snow do you have at this point? These storms always come from the west so you have probably already had this one.

Belle, Narilly, LC, good to see you. Let's keep each other company on this vital journey of ours :hug:

Hello to the rest of the crew & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09
                              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Costco was nuts today. It was like Christmas in there, holy crap! I spent over $300, sheesh. There weas a fight in the parking lot over someone stealing a parking spot and the lines were long but I still enjoyed myself. I dunno, I guess I am a weirdo.

It was a warm day today and it got up to -1 which was amazing but the cold comes back tomorrow.

Ava, what a nice story about your daughter. You are lucky.

Glad to be sober here.
                                Xo
                                Narilly

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Working...
                                X