Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Hi, All:

Nar - you are kind to even let him in to use the computer. What a terrible situation. It is good that he has you as a touchstone, though, and that may end up saving him in the end. SO glad your son has a good relationship and is not drinking much. What a relief. That falling - happened to my dad and now my FiL. My dad cracked his rib a while ago from a fall - thankfully it wasn't his hip. Glad you can be there for her.

Slo - My husband came up to give me a big hug after drinking his glass of whiskey. That WAS my drink of choice, and I had to tell him to go away. I was tired and had had a long hard day, and I didn't need that reminder of a quick fix. Of course, I'm not going to drink, but that was still annoying. Good for you for putting it away.

Byrdie - I am SO SORRY for your work situation. I can't wait until you can get out of it.

Happy SOBER hump day, everyone.

Pav

Comment

That is so sad Narilly one of my brothers was diagnosed with fetal alcohol syndrome as a kid,pretty sure my mom drank while pregnant with us all but he had some physical stuff from it,hope the kid gets some help,too young to be so directionless,Byrdie,your posts about work make me sad,I can just feel it,sorry there's so much B.S,Slo,still thinking of you two and praying it all works out,waves to all off to my personal hellhole as well,have a fab AF Day!
      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hola friends near and not so far,

Nar, you're a damn fine good egg. But we already know that.

Hope you're having a good one Pauly.

Hello LC!

Byrdy, your job just sounds impossible to be in. How's that big contract looking? The one you mentioned awhile ago.

All's failry well here. Big waves to evabody.
        Last edited by Guitarista; March 6, 2019, 04:05 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Yeah Pav, I don’t know how long my MIL will be able to live on her own. She is in bad shape right now. We just went and installed a safety bar beside the toilet so she has something to hang on to when she goes to the bathroom. It sucks when our parents start falling for sure.

Oh Pauly, Byrdie, I wish I could wave my magic wand and make your jobs amazing. It makes me feel a little less anxious about getting a new job.

G, I love eggs so thank you I went swimming this morning and it was great. I know you love swimming too, great minds think alike.

Well, I may sit down and watch some tv now.

Hope everyone is well.

Xo
          Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
          "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Hump Day hellos all Nesters

FREEZIN cold here today, tomorrow too. I think I have had enough winter ~ it can go away now haha!!!!

Narilly, sorry about your son's friend, that's sad. Sounds like he could use some serious counseling, job training, that sort of thing.
            I think back to the friends my kids had growing up & you always want them to do well & succeed.

Slo, good for you getting that bottle out of your face, geez.
            Sorry to hear about your sister's progress. I hope they can get a handle on things soon.
            I saw a cute reminder on FB today about handling anxiety - replace it with gratitude

Byrdie & Pauly, I feel like I want to hire a head hunter for you two so you both could land better work situations.

Pav, there are so many reasons the elderly fall. I always try to make sure nothing is left on the floor after the grandkids have been here to prevent a slip & fall. Then there's medications to consider, changing blood pressures, poor eye sight...……...the list goes on. In nursing we used to go by the 'Rule of 5'. Make sure no patient is on more than 5 meds to prevent falls. People get Rxs from more than one doc & sometimes they don't mix real well.

G, good to hear you are fairly well

Hello to the rest of the crew & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi all,

Just a quick check in this morning. I'm burning the candle on all ends between my regular life and taking care of wifey. All is well, although I'm pretty tired.

Nar - very kind of you to provide that young man with the time and tools to find a place to stay, but also excellent boundary-protection on your part. Poor kid.

LC - you're welcome to text me as well. I don't live glued to my phone but will reply as soon as I'm able to. In the meantime, here's a hug for you :hug:

Byrdie - hugs to you on not letting that job suck the life out of you :hug:

Ava - glad to hear the Dr text turned out to be nothing!

Hellos and waves to everyone else. Have great Thursdays and Fridays!
              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi, All:

Sorry, Pauly, I didn't know you had a bad work situation, too. I know it annoys you, but for some reason I thought you liked the others in your shop. Are you stuck, too?

Lav - thanks for the advice. My dad fell from Parkinson's/Alzheimer's. The Parkinson's makes him not be able to walk, and the dementia makes him forget he can't. Now he is at the very end and can't walk at all and has no attempts at trying, so at least he's safe. I am now worried about my mom who is exhausted from taking care of him (yes, she has help). I'll keep the rule of 5 in my mind.

Nar and G - I used to love swimming, too. But now I'm cold all of the time (love older age...) and I can never muster the strength to get in unless it is hot out. I used to swim in an outdoor pool in the winter (for here that means 45F out), and I know that you warm up, but I can't make that initial plunge any more.

Yesterday at my work was a hard day. We had a lot of failures in that kids are making bad choices outside of school that is landing them in trouble. There are so many complex situations that have to do with trauma and the fallout from that plus poverty and marginalization. I know today will be better, but it was rough.

LC, how's tricks? Kensho? Belle? There are a few of you we haven't heard from in a while. I hope all is well, and even if it isn't, let us know so we can help.

x
                Pav

Comment

The work that you’re doing with the students is so hard, Pav, because there are no simple solutions, and only so much you can do.

It’s like Narilly with that young man coming to her house repeatedly, and only so much she can do. That was a beautiful description though, that she functions as a “touchstone” for him. That alone helps him enormously.

Which brother was affected by Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, Pauly? Was it Jon? Hope your hellhole wasn’t too bad yesterday.

I’m starting to burn the candle at both ends too, Wagmor, caring for my sister. But she’s still in the hospital, so not like your situation with providing total care. She’s getting excellent care by many very kind, caring, & knowledgeable health professionals.
                  Lav, the results of the second cytology test are pending on my sister. Too small of a sample was used for the first one.

Parkinson’s & Alzheimer’s often go together it seems. My uncle’s lovely, smart, engaging, charming Southern wife suddenly developed Alzheimer’s in her early 60s. So she had to suddenly retire at that point from work. It progressed rapidly, then last year became Parkinson’s as well. She died yesterday of a stroke, at 68 or 69 years old. I’ll consider that a blessing, as she’s free now.

Have a good day, everyone!
                  Last edited by Slo; March 7, 2019, 05:32 PM.
                  Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Good morning everyone, have a great day!

I am so grateful to feel good when I wake up. LOVE being sober.

Hope your day goes better today Pav. Its tough seeing kids that have made bad choices. I guess you help them as much as you can and hope it makes a difference.

Good morning Slo, Wags, hang in there.

Lav, it is starting to warm up here slowly. We are very excited because it is supposed to go to +1 in a few days. Yippee!
                    Byrdie, Pauly, hope your day doesn't suck too much.

xo everyone
                    Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                    "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

I appreciate the uplifting words of encouragement. As you know, I am holding out for 2 major deals. The smaller one should fall any day, but I've been saying that since Christmas and it hasn't happened yet. I do not know what the hold up is, they say everything is progressing and we have nagged them to death about signing. The larger one wanted to do 8 test stores with us before taking the plunge, we will be finished with those installs next week. I keep thinking that I can just take it easy and not do anything until they happen but this just isn't that kind of business there is always an emergency of some sort. Trust me, I will be out of here asap. I don't want to stay here one day longer than I have to.

Nar, what a tough situation. Helpless feeling....but like everyone else said, there is only so much you can do. My brother is in an awful situation (moneywise) and is still laying carpet at age 69 and he still has 10 years to go on his mortgage. His social security just does cover the house payment. I wish I could help him, but am making a fraction of what I used to and working twice as hard for it. It sounds harsh, but it really does come down to the choices we make. Hugs to you.
                      Halfway thru the day, so there's that. Hope everyone has an easy afternoon. Byrdie
                      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Well I'll be cutting hair til I'm 69+ probably Byrdie haha,hope today is easy for you,I'm just trying to stay positive about my job even tho it sucks Slow,no not Jon my other brother Ricky was the one diagnosed, he's fine now tho
                        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi Everyone. I've missed you! Been working and enjoying the new creative project we have... such a breath of fresh air to have complete creative freedom. The ideas are flowing and I'm loving every minute.

Nar, hope your mom is ok. Kind of you to offer your home for you son’s friend. You and PAV are in really tough situations. Hard to know which parts to help with and which they have to learn themselves.

Sorry to hear about your aunt Slo. I never knew that Parkenson’s and Alzheimer’s could occur simultaneously. That sounds horrible!

Glad you’re hanging in there Wags. Hope you’re getting some you time too!

Byrdie… sending “close the sale” thoughts your way! Hope they come through soon! Carpet installation is physically demanding; sheesh it’s too bad your brother is having to do that at 69.

Anyone else watch the series "This is Us" in the states? A main character has an alcohol addiction, and it's hard to watch. But good too. I watched him lie to his loved ones recently - something I used to do. What a mess alcohol makes us. Such a shame - but it's an addition that can be overcome when we just believe that life is better without it.

Hugs to all!
                          Last edited by KENSHO; March 7, 2019, 03:44 PM.
                          Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

I'm watching my grandsons so I only have a quick minute.

Wags, glad you are hanging in & I imagine you must be one tired girl at this point!
                            Try to work in a few wags minutes each day :hug:

Slo, I hope your sister is comfortable at this point. Has she comes to terms with her drinking yet? It doesn't get more real than this.
                            What a shame about your uncle's wife, too young in my opinion. Sorry for your loss.

Byrdie, your job sounds like a real hurry up & wait situation. Aggravation!!!!

Kensho, Pauly & everyone, hello to you all.

Better go check & see how homework is coming along
                            Have a safe night in the nest everyone!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Sorry to hear of your uncle's wife Slo. Take care of yourself there.

Take care of yourself too Wags.

As it's March 8 here - Happy international womens day ladies!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Hi to all! I'm still around and more importantly, not drinking. Just working A LOT (well, a lot for me). Boss man is going out of the country for a work/vacation event soon and he is trying to cram in all of the clients that he can in a short amount of time. Plus, a key person, who also serves as my backup, has announced she is leaving and tomorrow is her last day. I have to remember that I can only do what I can do. Poor planning on the boss's part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

After work today, the group went over to the local bar for happy hour. My 'happiest hour' consists of going home and taking a nap with my dog. We are having a lunch for the gal that is leaving tomorrow so I will be part of that. I cannot think of anything more boring than sitting in a bar. of course my previous habits have shown that I do my best drinking alone anyway.

I read back and see that pretty much everybody has something going on that could have paved the way to drinking previously. Keep up the good work all. Nighty, night....zzzzzzz.
                                BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Working...
                                X