Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Ava, I’m sorry that you have lost your dear buddy who was with you through thick & thin. She was there to help you through getting sober, and you were there to help her through old age. It hurts so much to have to let her go. I wish dogs had a longer life span.

My twin sister has left the post-surgical physical rehabilitation center against medical advice. Oh well. I guess people are going to do what they’re going to do. Hopefully her three weeks of sobriety will stand her in good stead, wherever she is.
    Last edited by Slo; March 22, 2019, 08:04 PM.
    Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

[MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION], you've been there for her and done what you can :hug:. Please don't beat yourself up because you can't 'fix' her. No one could fix us, right? It is on each of us to make that choice and then do what it takes. You are modeling for her how it is done. Hopefully one day she'll follow you out. xx, NS

Comment

Just wanted to pop in to say my heart goes out to you, Ava. :hug:
        It could be worse, I could be filing.
        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Good evening all,

Ava, so sorry you had to let Mads go, I know it's rough. Please know that we are all here for you :hug:

Slo, wow, did your sister let anyone know about her plans? I'm sorry she chose to do that but hopefully she will think hard before throwing away her 3 AF weeks. You certainly have been there for her, I hope she appreciates that.

Even though it's spring it's cold & windy here. We even had a brief hail storm today. I'm planning to move my laundry room chicks out to the chicken house on Sunday. The weather is supposed to be better then. They have definitely outgrown their bassinet haha!

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all.

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Afternoon nesters

Slo, i am sorry your sister left rehab, probably not a good sign but you need to look after you, as you know it is our choice to drink and nothing or anyone will stop us. I do hope though that she doesnt drink. My brother was in rehab and left after a week or so and there was no happy ending to his story.

Thanks you all so much for you love and caring messages. I didnt think i would be sobbing this morning as i did not have to open the back door anymore. for 11+ years that was our morning ritual while i started coffee. I thought losing rupey was hard but mads was my everything other than my children. i know it will get easier but for today its not.

I did pick up my uncle from the cruise ship so that was lovely although he didnt know mads had died, more tears. We had a lovely couple of hours together. My daughter stayed overnight so i dropped her off after seeing my uncle. Now i am going to watch my 600lb life and nap.

Not feeling very lifey today.

Take care xx
            AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Ava I am so sorry to hear of Mads passing. These times are so hard and your whole world changes and feels so empty without the routines that go together with a pup in the house. You gave her a wonderful life right to the end. Hopefully soon you will be able to remember the happy times you had together without your heart breaking x

Comment

Hi, All--

Ava, glad your daughter could be there with you, and your uncle also. When I visit my sister I still look for her dog who died last Thanksgiving, and I will be for a while. Hopefully Carl can help keep you company as well.

Slo, that is very sad. I hope she is taking care of herself, but it definitely doesn't look like a good choice from the outside. Amazing what a hold alcohol can have on people.

I saw an article yesterday that basically said "you don't have to be sick or bad to quit drinking alcohol." I thought it was a powerful perspective change.

Since marijuana was legalized in this state, a lot of towns and counties have been wrestling with what that means. People don't want pot shops near schools, or their homes, and public health officials are worried about the potency and long-term effects. What if someone had proposed legalizing alcohol right now?? It would be CRAZY to think that people would allow it to be in grocery stores, and to think that they could drink it at their kids' little league games.

Happy SOBER Saturday. I recommend some self care - in the form of exercise and gratitude. Have great days.

Pav

Comment

Ava, you have a whole community grieving with you. I hope that brings a little comfort to you. In my next life, I want to be YOUR doggie. Hugs, dear lady.

Interestingly, our west coast rep resigned on Monday. There are only 6 of us in National Accounts, so his absence will be felt. I asked him if he told our boss WHY he is moving on and he said he sure did. Funny, when I had that conversation with the boss, he indicated that I was the only one with grievances. While I hate to see the rep go, maybe it will underscore the fact that this is an impossible job. A girl can hope.

I cant tell you how thankful I am that I am sober through all of this. Yes, it would be easy to check out. Sometimes, I want to take my brain out, give it a good rinse, and put it back. AL is not going to solve ANY problem I have and will only serve to make matters worse. I am so grateful that, at no time, have I wished for a drink. A brick, yes. A drink....NO.

I hope everyone has has a relaxing Sattidy. Byrdie
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

morning nesters

JC and starty, thank you for popping in and thinking of me, it means so much. The firsts are the worst for sure and the pain of waking up and knowing she is not with me and never will be again.

Byrd you are so sweet, make sure you are going to come back as a shitzu or maltese though as they are my preferred breed. Funny how another rep has resigned for the same reason though.

Today i didnt cry at the door so that is a bonus. i did cry from a lovely email my vet sent me, i will miss her, she has been a big part of my life in the past year with Rupey and mads caring for them.

I am hoping i start to sleep more than 4 hours, the tiredness is driving me batty and i know it wont be good for my mental health, i did manage to go for a lovely walk last night instead of wallowing in self pity under the doona, ha. Today i am going to work for awhile, my boss has been fantastic the last months and i need to get my work back up to date. i have mentioned to her that i will be working half days and avoiding people, they will make me cry. And to think a year plus ago i had the crappiest boss in the world and now i have the best.

I tell you i could have drunk a winery these past few months/weeks/days but my choice was not to. not to let myself down, not to let my friends here down and not to let my madison down. Oblivion to me at the moment is appealing but i just cant do it to myself now, i cant go back to that life of looking in a bottle searching for peace, i know i wont find it there. My vet told me i needed a good stiff drink and i just said i am an alcoholic, i cant (she had forgotten that), Mia and i went to the pub and the barperson said i needed a strong drink and i said im an alcoholic, i cant. For me, voicing who i am reinforces that at times like this i need to realise that i am on rocky ground and that i am who i am with a little glitch in my wiring. I definitely dont want to drink but i am not safe, an alcoholic is never safe from alcohol. But for today i will do my best to keep going, i will keep busy, i will cry again and again, i will laugh and remember my mads and get to tomorrow.

Take care x
                    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Originally posted by available View Post

I tell you i could have drunk a winery these past few months/weeks/days but my choice was not to. not to let myself down, not to let my friends here down and not to let my madison down. Oblivion to me at the moment is appealing but i just cant do it to myself now, i cant go back to that life of looking in a bottle searching for peace, i know i wont find it there. My vet told me i needed a good stiff drink and i just said i am an alcoholic, i cant (she had forgotten that), Mia and i went to the pub and the barperson said i needed a strong drink and i said im an alcoholic, i cant. For me, voicing who i am reinforces that at times like this i need to realise that i am on rocky ground and that i am who i am with a little glitch in my wiring. I definitely dont want to drink but i am not safe, an alcoholic is never safe from alcohol. But for today i will do my best to keep going, i will keep busy, i will cry again and again, i will laugh and remember my mads and get to tomorrow.

Take care x
                      Beautifully expressed my friend. Take it easy today. :hug:

Off to the salt mines for me on this lovely sunday morning. Big waves to evabody.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Still chilly & windy here today but tomorrow promises to be more seasonal.

Ava, it's been a year & a half since my big dog passed. I still think of her every day, she was such a good friend. I had a picture of her printed on a 12x12 canvas & have it on my kitchen wall. That way I still get to greet her every morning & remember the good times. It just takes a bit of time but you'll get there too :hug:

Byrdie, that's interesting your colleague resigned. I imagine his complaints were very similar to yours. At least you now know that you haven't been imagining things.
                        I hope you have a relaxing weekend.

Hello to G, Pav, starty, Slo & everyone.
                        Not much happening for me this weekend but that's perfectly fine with me

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!
                        Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi, All:

Ava - I agree with G. That was well said. It took me forever just to say "I don't drink," and you know you are my sober hero. I'm so sorry for your pain. When my sister's dog died we found the quote "Grief is the cost of love" which really resonated with me in a lot of ways. Hope you get some sleep soon.

I don't have much to report. I had a good and fruitful day of work yesterday and will take today off! We have some friends visiting which is fun, and my son is home for spring break.

Happy SOBER Sunday,
                          Pav

Comment

Happy Un Hung Sunday everyone! So grateful to be feeling good this morning.

I love your post Ava, you really don’t drink
                            Good your taking today off Pav, Byrdie, there must be something crazy going on there. You are obviously not the only unhappy one there.

Hello G, Lav, slo, everyone.

Have a great day.
                            Last edited by narilly; March 24, 2019, 10:23 AM.
                            Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                            "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Good morning, everyone!

I hear my twin sister has rented herself an Air BnB and is recuperating there from major abdominal surgery.

Meanwhile, I’ve ended up taking off with the fam for Spring Break after all, and am down in the Florida panhandle region! I’m overlooking the ocean. It’s too cold to swim in, but still looks pretty.

So [MENTION=20476]KENSHO[/MENTION], I feel ya, as I too am trying to be for the most part gluten-free & dairy-free and totally AF while vacationing with others!

Ava, that’s too bad that other people are recommending to you that you need to drink to help with your grief. That’s the last thing that you need to hear.
                              I like that, Narilly: “Grief is the cost of love”.
                              You sure went through a painful time losing your beloved dog too, Lav.

Byrdie, I’ll bet that when the West Coast sales manager has complained, then they have also told him: “Huh, that’s funny; nobody else is complaining.” Divide & conquer! What a screwy company, and that screws their people over.

Wishing an easy AF day to all!
                              Last edited by Slo; March 24, 2019, 08:06 PM.
                              Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Hola friends,

I'm bushed! A couple more days of work then i get 5 days off. At least i've got a job, and a job i like. Byrdy, what a circus!

Hope your sister will be ok Slo. I say dive into that beautiful ocean now! The critters are usually friendly.

Big waves to all.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Working...
                                X