Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

I've got a book recommendation for you, Nesters: https://www.amazon.com/Never-Enough-...a-639118375345
    The author writes from the perspective of a neuroscientist and a former addict of just about every addictive substance she could get her hands on. She explains the biochemistry underlying addiction to each of the types of substances (opiods, benzoes, uppers, alcohol, THC, etc.) in an accessible but accurate way, including why where each acts in the brain yields the differing responses. She also clearly explains why for a person with a particular biochemistry, exposure to the drug that "normalizes" that biochemistry will almost inevitably lead to addiction --- and why that person will almost inevitably not be able to moderate their drug of choice. As I read about all the drugs, it became clear to me why alcohol worked for me (for awhile) and made me grateful I was never exposed to barbituates. I'm afraid I would like them. It also killed any curiosity I had about trying THC. The book isn't all science, though - she makes a strong case for the environments that foster addiction and the changes we need to make as a society.

Comment

Thanks for the book recommendation NS, I have put it on my list!
      Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
      "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

We had a nice day, sunny & 63 degrees although it is getting chilly now. I move my chicks out to the chicken house (separate quarters from the older hens). When they are big enough to defend themselves then I'll move them in with the rest.

NS, thanks for the book recommendation, sounds interesting!

Slo, enjoy your spring break, lucky you. I hope your sister takes good care of herself.

Hello to Pav, G, Narilly, Byrdie & everyone.

Ava, how are you doing today?

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
        Last edited by Lavande; March 24, 2019, 07:02 PM.
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Just a quick check in to say GO [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION] !!!

In a stealthy way you have logged nearly 250 days (10 more to go). That is amazing. Keep it up, even in FLA.

x
          Pav

Comment

Good morning, nesters.
            Another day in paradise! In spite of the pollen, I love spring best of all. It seems like a time full of hope and promise.
            Have a wonderful, sober week, everyone....no matter what and no matter who. Just git it, as G says! :happy2: Byrdie
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good morning everyone. Hope everyone has a great day.

Grateful to feel good this morning.
              Narilly

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Happy spring to you northern hema....hemo.....hh, hemispherians.

I'm full of hope and promise too Byrdy, even if we are in autumn heading towards winter down here. Narilly, i'm feeling gooooood too. I relate this feeling directly, i say because of - I have simply stopped boozing. Booze is no longer in my life. I am far far less at risk of getting depressed about the past, or anxious about the future. I am far less inclined to dwell or obsess over ships that have sailed, and events that have happened. I cannot change or control external forces/things/people, or events. But i can control how i react and respond. It's an inside job isn't it? Rebuilding my life and getting to where i want to be is an inside job. Which means - i steer this ship. I say where i go.

How are you Ava?

You're raaawkin it Sister Slo.

Yo LC.

Big waves to evabody.
                Last edited by Guitarista; March 25, 2019, 01:58 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Morning nesters

Slo enjoy your break, your sister will do what she wants and all we can do is have hope that its the right thing. Yes the reactions of people when something happens is to always have a drink, unless you are a non drinker but then even i took my daughter for a beer after we put mads to sleep. The power of alcohol to fix everything.

Lav, i love your idea of a 12x12 of my fur babies. i am in the process of rearranging my bedroom as it is keeping me busy. i think a photo of my fur babies is a fantastic idea, thank you.

Oh NS a link, if Bryd clicked on it then i will too. Its funny but i used to be such a "cone head" in my younger years and now could not be bothered to touch the stuff. I stopped when i had the children and when i did smoke again i had bad anxiety. Both of my sons smoke and tell me i should have a "cone" but no appeal there. I was definitely addicted back in the day. Maybe i could be like that with al but thats not a chance i am going to take.

I am ok i think. I went to the drs yesterday as i could feel myself falling and no sleep doesnt help. She gave me a couple of days off and some sleeping tablets. i did sleep 5 hours which for me is like a dream come true and i do feel a bit better. i seem to cry more when i sleep more and i need to realise that thats ok. So today i am going to rearrange my bedroom and maybe get my eyes checked. I started smoking again after 60 plus days so i got a referral to see a psychologist on how to deal with stress but Monday i will start again. I am going to get my passport renewed and think about a holiday, i could not leave mads before. So life moves on, slowly at the moment but its moving.

G, i am loving this cooler weather except i have not been out for a walk due to the winds. today, even if it rains i am off. I need to clear my head and not lose the motivation i had.

LC and Belle where are you both?

Another cuppa to make and then to start the day.

take care xx
                  AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

I am another grateful nester (one of the originals) checking in with much gratitude today. It was 10 years ago this evening I dumped the last of the wine down the drain. Tomorrow marks 10 years completely & totally AF. I can't even imagine where I would be today if I hadn't made that decision. I was miserable, anxious & losing interest in absolutely everything, even breathing. So I am grateful to know that I made the best decision for me!

Ava, treat yourself to some pup portraits, honestly I love them
                    Glad you got some help for sleeping, a hard commodity to come by these days.

G, it's great to hear you have decided on an AF life - nothing better I swear!

Narilly, Byrdie, Pav hello to you & all the crew.

We've got a chilly rain going on now but I do see other sgns of spring happening outside. The tree pollens were so bad yesterday you could actually see a cloud of 'dust' whipping around due to the high winds ~ crazy. My allergist said to take Zyrtec 2X/day so I'm not too bad, geez!

Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest!

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarista View Post
                      I relate this feeling directly, i say because of - I have simply stopped boozing. Booze is no longer in my life. I am far far less at risk of getting depressed about the past, or anxious about the future. I am far less inclined to dwell or obsess over ships that have sailed, and events that have happened.
                      Thanks for noticing my progress, Pav!! It has gotten to be much easier than it initially was to be AF. Plus there are the surprise benefits that G described above, that I have noticed too! I like feeling more even & steady.

Lav, to think an entire DECADE has passed since the evening you were last pouring the wine down the drain! That is phenomenal. Your firm commitment is one I aim to emulate. It’s much easier to finally just firmly close the door on it!

Thanks for the book recommendation NS, and I have started reading it. It is very good so far.
                      Last edited by Slo; March 25, 2019, 10:37 PM.
                      Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Lav, 10 YEARS!!! Yip yip yippee! Way to go, that is amazing, how time flies eh? You are an inspiration Lav, thank you for being here :heartbeat:
                        Narilly

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Great work Lav! You are a bona fide Raaawk and roll STAR!

Thanks for being here day in day out.
                          Last edited by Guitarista; March 26, 2019, 04:27 AM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Lav,
                            As you look back and think of the last 10 years, I hope you know how many people you have helped. There is at least 1 right here who would like to thank you for showing me the way it's done. One day at a time. Immense gratitude to you and congratulations on this yoooooge milestone! Thank you and keep it going, you are our rock! :rockon:
                            Much love and admiration, Byrdie
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Huge congrats on 10 years Lav! WOW!!:congrats:
                              Last edited by Jude58; March 26, 2019, 07:34 AM.

Comment

LAV! Congratulations on 10 years sober. It is an amazing accomplishment. And thanks for staying here in the nest to reach back and help the rest of us. In particular, that attitude of Lavittude - I consider it a mix between gratitude and not giving a hoot what others think. Combined it makes for a kick a$$ approach to life!

Mr. G - Your post from yesterday was just what I needed. You sound amazing, and thanks for inspiring us as well. You RAWK for sure.

Looking for you, LC, Belle and others. If you're lurking and waiting for "the right day," today is it! We're here for you.

Happy Tuesday.
                                Pav

Comment

Working...
                                X