Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

I hope you all don’t mind that stupid A thing. I hate going back to edit. It’s my new keyboard. I have to look to see what I’m doing. As I’m typing, it’s fine, but when I post, it comes up like that! :sad:

Comment

morning nesters

I want to retire.

Pauly finally starting to sleep in till 7am which is great, when i wake at 4.15am, 7.15 is like a holiday ha ha. did you hear how your coworker is.

Slo, hope you are doing great, how is your sister?

NS, i fought my ego so many times before i decided it could go out with al through the door and not return. Humility is a hard pill to swallow but when we are addicts we need to be humble to allow ourselves to become strong.

Saw my psychologist yesterday and i can say i am glad i didnt do this 4 years ago, would have made me drink again. funny how we react to situations and when we find the underlying cause its like a lightbulb explodes. The past is leaving me but its a process and slow.

J, great work on your days, appreciate sobriety, its a gift that many do not ever receive.

Well time for a coffee and a shower and might do some op shopping today.

take care xx
      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Ava,she's out of the hospital but for how long this time I wonder? I told my coworker at work she should not be given back a full shift,maybe two days a week cuz I think that place is getting to be too much for her yet she doesn't want to admit it,she had custody of 3 grandkids she's been raising since birth,I guess her youngest son is taking over the custody of the kids cuz she's in no shape to be raising them,I understand she mourns her son but I honestly don't think he'd want this life for her, hopefully she'll realize that eventually
        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

So many great posts over the past two days - I love seeing the nest abuzz with activity and conversation. Thank you everyone for being part of this community, we really are stronger together. I'll have to go check out the podcast Pav recommended.

I've had a busy two days with lots of classes, but my wife and I also snuck out to catch a screening of the Toni Morrison documentary, The Pieces I Am. What a wonderful contribution to literature and culture she made! I've only read a couple of her books but the doc inspired me to go check out a few more.

On a scary note, a student I met with yesterday pm logged online a few minutes late and explained that she works just a few blocks from where the active shooter situation was going down in Philly and she'd had a hard time getting home from work. I'm so sad and tired of these episodes that now seem to occur in the US with alarming frequency. I know there are no easy answers, but I wish FFS that we would at least TRY SOMETHING.

Ok, off my soap box...

The world is a hard place these days and it would be easy, in some ways, to find loads of "reasons" to drink. So glad that I know they're all lies. Al is poison, and there is never a good reason to poison myself. So onward and upward we go!

Happy Fridays and almost-Fridays to everyone :heartbeat:
          Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Morning nesters,I'm sick of it too Wags people that we don't even know are getting killed/hurt yet my heart breaks for them and the families left behind,gotta be some kind of something that can be done sheesh! J-vo the A thing is fine haha,wonder why it does that? Still groggy here so off for more joe,need to jolt my brain awake,waves to all and wishes for a safe AF day for us all!

Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi, all:

I, too, love the discussions. Good stuff.

Wags - Toni Morrison was an idol of mine. She is a beautiful writer and really, really gave us a glimpse into the human condition. Eloquent, righteous, insightful and intelligent writing ALWAYS. I'm not sure what you've read, but I recommend them all. The Bluest Eye will kill you. I'll go try to find that documentary.

When I am in a big public place I find myself noticing where I'd take cover or where'd I run. It is so sad and awful.

NoSugar - I like your admonition to put that story away and only look at when needed. It is better to focus on today and now and move forward. I don't have to look far for reminders either - my brain seems to have them cemented in my memories.

Slo - how're things? I'm still looking for Sunrise also - come back!

Pauly - glad your co-worker is out of the hospital.

Happy Friday, all. No tix to boozeville here. I have work to do this weekend, but it will be on my time, so I'll muddle through. Need exercise back in my life more frequently - it is medicine for what ails me.

Pav

Comment

Pav,I always make sure to get at least 5 miles of walking in everyday! The weekend is hard cuz by then I'm tired of the week plus I'm babysitting usually but it really does help,,my brain,my motivation and I can maintain a size 8-9 eating whatever I want so that's a plus haha

Comment

Morning Nest! It's a lovely sound of silence (and birds chirping) here, as everyone has left for the day. I absolutely love having my time back. I adore my kids and love spending quality time with them, but I also love not having noise and demand all day long. Yea school!

Thanks for great posts! We go to a concert tomorrow night, which is likely to be a booze fest among the crowd. I will appreciate being the DD, and enjoy the music. They all know I don't drink by now. I'm sort of amazed that I have to pull out the tools again - but what has been working for me lately is indulging in other things, like ice cream. HA! I may being some treats for myself. Not worried about it. It just was easier and more ingrained in me to have a visceral reaction to drinking again. Mind games is all.

JVO, I think what antibuse helps with is when we haven't yet perfected our other coping mechanisms when cravings hit. It prevents "caving" to some level. I applaud your desire to be pill-free, and I was one of those people! Never liked medicines much. But we have to shore up our plans and have tools even more ready for when it feels hard. It seems like you're doing just that! Great job!

Off to the races. I have a quiet day at home, making final preparations for a Monday presentation. And some laundry. Hugs to all!
                  Last edited by KENSHO; August 16, 2019, 10:06 AM.
                  Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Kensho, your days are quieter because mine will be louder and crazier with kids. Your welcome! lol!

Wags, the shootings create so much anxiety for people in our world. It’s so sad. We have practice drills at school. When doing those the thoughts really create that anxiety. Oops, NS! Just a thought. But still, it does.

Thanks for the recommended podcast, Pav. No tix to boozeville is right. I’m on my third weekend free of booze and couldn’t be more happy about it. It’s given me such peace right now and has made my feelings about going back to work much less difficult.

Pauly, 5 miles a day! You go girl. My hips would never allow such a workout. I can’t imagine how difficult it is for coworker. To be that age, losing a son, and having three grandchildren to care for on top of work is utterly insane and way too much, especially with a problem with al. I pray for people I don’t know and she is on my list.

Ava, hope you’re enjoying your time off. :heartbeat:

NS, as always so many great suggestions. Thank you.:heartbeat:

Byrdie, hope you can find ways to decompress with the stress you’re dealing with at work. It takes everything good out of us at times. Try to emotionally detach as much as possible. My dad was in similar positions all of his life and had to get accounts from companies. So much stress I remember. Can you make a beautiful cake this weekend. I’m sure having that hobby is very therapeutic for you. I’ve been doing more cooking and I just enjoy the cutting veggies and following a recipe that leads to a really great and tasty final product. Funny what things become enjoyable when you’re not drinking. Treat yourself to some of that this weekend.

Comment

Yes, JVo, that was exactly my cycle, too. Worrying about my next drink, the drink I had, then recovering from the whole thing. That wasn't living, it was dying. It's a hard cycle to break, that's for sure, but like anything else that's worth having, the effort really pays off. It's the obsession of it all that gets me, how on earth can this happen? Having lived it myself, I still can't explain it, it's just that complicated. I remember my hubs saying, "Just stop drinking!". Yes, that is the answer, but it certainly isn't that easy for someone with an AL addiction.

Yes, it's only Friday, not a ticket to BoozeVille! Maybe I will whip up a cake this weekend, that might be fun. Hope everyone has an easy day. Byrdie
                      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Morning nesters

Pauly good on you for walking your 5 miles each day. i remember i used to think about exercise when i was drinking but never managed it unless it was to walk to the bottleshop lol. my daughter is going to vegas at the end of next week, our dollar is crap at the moment though which is not enticing her but she will enjoy it i am sure. all of those lights! So sad about your coworker, i can never imagine the pain she must be feeling losing a child, i hope she can heal and has been given some resources, it would be awful if she had the grandchildren taken off her also.

Wags, that is terrible about your student. I am sure we dont hear half of the shootings that occur in America and like you we wonder why nothing is done about it.

NS at the moment i am pulling up some past memories/events that happened when i was a child/young adult. After 5 years the time is right to open up that chapter of my life and delve inside. no way could i have done this years ago and as upsetting as it is, i know it will free me to be a better person, a more whole person if that makes sense. Then that part of my life can be what it always has been, the past. I cant fix what has happened but i can finally deal with it as i am now prepared to. I have to tools and acceptance that this will be extremely emotionally hard but doable. Just like acceptance of my drinking and how bad i was and how far i have come.

well today i can finally move and will go back to the gym so i cant move ha ha. my shin splints are playing up again even after getting innersoles so i now wait for a podiatrist apt. I will attempt a wobbly bike ride and enjoy the scenery.

Nar where are you? NS where are you? Sunshine?

Take care xx
                        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

We’re about to head into heatwave #5 for this summer, ugh.
                          Hate to wish my life away but I really do look forward to Fall.
                          I’ve been snagged to watch my grandsons tomorrow evening & then watch the dog for a few days next week. Granny Lav is always busy taking care of someone, ha ha!

I lived the first 50 years of my life in a suburb just 5 or 6 miles outside of Philadelphia. There was always big city problems going on there but now with the drugs & the guns it’s just awful. We just stopped going into the city for anything. I love the art museum & the zoo but won’t go again, it’s just too scary. My heart goes out to all those officers & their families. My husband is a retired police officer & he was lucky he made it thru unhurt. I saw on the news tonight that some of the people living in that N. Philly community were out protesting today about the continued police presence while they process the scene. Really, what do some people want?

On that note I’ll just say hello to all & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Goodnight everyone. I am here, just too tired to post
                            Talk in the morning

Don’t drink tonight.
                            Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                            "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Good morning. Up earlier today, as I have to start getting my body used to much earlier hours. I really could be a night owl. The past few weeks I have stayed up late watching tv or movies when hubby retires to bed early. That peace at night is perfect. Decaf tea, a little snack. I could never stay up past nine on days I had off because I was drunk. I wasted that perfect time. IÂ’m going to have to give up my quiet nights once again, but not because IÂ’ll be drunk! School hours!

Lav, that situation is just awful. Protesting because they are protecting people. Wtf is wrong with people! IÂ’m glad youÂ’re ok. I loved our frequent visits into philly when my parents lived there. We always had a great time whether it was visiting museums, running up the steps where Rocky did and yes, doing the whole hands up in the air and run in a circle when you reach the top, to eating in reading terminal market. Great memories. Enjoy your grandkids today.

IÂ’m going swimming today at my gfÂ’s house. SheÂ’s my very best friend from grade school. I told her about my quit as I had other times. SheÂ’s always supportive of me.

Funny, I started reading on here this morning, and I realized 10 minutes in that I was reading posts from February! Yeah, wags wife had surgery. Hope all is well, Wags! I can do stupid things even when IÂ’m not drunk!

Have a great Saturday.:hug:

Comment

Morning nesters,J-vo I do dingy things when I'm not drinking too haha, putting stuff in weird spots or driving to work and not remembering the drive,freaky! Ava,loved the birthday pics of your son,I like to embarrass the girls with a throwback pic on their birthdays too,hope he had a great one ugh hope this Saturday at work goes smoothly,I've been having to take deep breaths and try to keep calm with some of these dicky customers,it's not even over their hair,it's just their smartass attitudes right off the bat and I won't be talked down to just cuz it's a cheap haircut place,deep breaths,waves to all back later and wishes for a fab AF day!

Comment

Working...
                                X