Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Good Morning--

Pauly - 5 miles a day is a great plan. That takes some time - do you walk to and from work? I feel so much better when I exercise but I have been so busy at work this week that I am exhausted when I get home. I should probably try to do something in the mornings - we'll see if I can get it going.

I thought my whole family was going to be out last night. I went to visit a friend right after work, and then got home, got into my loosies (soft pants!) and sat on the couch to watch a show. JUST as it started son #1 came home with a friend, followed close after by husband and then son #2. So much for my nice, quiet night alone - we live in a small place and that alone time is hard to come by. Soon school will scatter us, though, so I decided to appreciate the time with them.

J-Vo - I have never been good at sleeping in, but I AM good at staying up late. Those two factors make for tired vacations. I need to get myself to bed earlier just for my sanity. When does school start for you?

Happy SOBER Saturday.
    Pav

Comment

I still do some dumb, forgetful things, too, but they don’t really bother me much anymore because I’m not beating myself up - I had assumed it was totally due to drinking. Now I know it’s because I often try to do too many things at once. I suppose I could chalk it up to age but I’m resisting that excuse!

I like to go to bed early and get up early. Like your quiet nights, [MENTION=21745]jvo[/MENTION], I cherish my time alone in the early mornings. I used to have a rule that my kids could not come downstairs before 7 so I could have at least an hour to myself. There are going to be several people in a vacation house for the next couple weeks. I might have to get up REALLY early to get my solo fix!

Comment

Evening,

Pauly, deep breaths!

Pav, our first day of inservice is the 26th. Two days of that, one day clerical and kids back that Thursday. Are you ready for another year? Good luck. I’m going back this coming Monday to start to plan and set up shop.

Quiet day, quiet night.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Hot & humid here as promised, yuck.
          Grandsons are busy on a laptop & an iPad so I have a few minutes
          I know my grandsons return to school on the 26th here locally. My granddaughter is an hour away in another school district that does not go back until after Labor day, just like in the old days. I’m sure all of their parents are looking forward to launching them into another school year, haha!

Just wanted to say Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all.

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

My sister seems to be doing well, [MENTION=16186]available[/MENTION]! She seems to be working hard to re-double her efforts for abstinence. She took her car back yesterday. She’s taking a long bike ride today.

Exercise is so helpful for maintaining sobriety, but it can be hard to fit in, and not always easy for me to hit the sweet spot of just the right amount.

My daughter goes back to school after Labor Day. I like it that way. Bless you teachers and educators! It is a hard job.

I hope your workday went smoothly today, [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION], and I’m glad that you don’t tolerate disrespect from your customers!

Have a safe night in the Nest.
            Last edited by Slo; August 17, 2019, 09:46 PM.
            Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

[MENTION=20191]Pavati[/MENTION] - your mailbox is full. :thumbsup:osteroops::welldone:
              "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
              AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Hello everyone,
                enjoying my weekend here. today was a bit cool but tommorow is going to be HOT, oh yeah!

Had a nice meal with the family tonight, we had Mexican food. Its so interesting that just 5 years ago I would always have wine with my meal and so my husband would drink and now there is no AL at the table. If I was drinking my kids would drink and my husband. See the ripple effect! Our drinking influences those around us, like dominoes.
                I am grateful not to have that influence on anyone in my circle. They are so lucky to have me, haha!

Yeah, all the shootings in the States, it is super scary. I don't think about it here but really, it could happen anywhere.

JVo, you sound good, so glad you are here.
                Ava, those childhood memories must be really shi..y. Hang in there. Thank goodness you don't drink.
                Ken, SLO, Byrdie, Pav, Lav, GMan,Wags, Nora, everyone, have a great night.

Dont drink tonight.
                Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Hi Nar!

Yes! I agree about the ripple effect. My hubby actually hasn’t drank since I stopped. I don’t know if he will continue but he’s enjoying all the cooking time he has. It’s made my quit much easier, knowing he supports me all the way.

Comment

Reading this morning. Robin Williams, RIP, said this:

Williams talked about the reality that drinking doesn’t always have a reason behind it, saying “It's [addiction] — not caused by anything, it's just there,” Williams said. “It waits. It lays in wait for the time when you think, ‘It’s fine now, I’m OK.’ Then, the next thing you know, it's not OK.

Comment

Morning nesters,J-vo I agree that sometimes there is no real reason behind some people's addiction, maybe it's just brain wiring to where they "like it" more than other people and that gets them hooked,plus as we know it just gets progressive over the years, tolerance builds,it becomes a habit,etc. Narilly the ripple effect is spot on,when I stopped from Feb to June hubs stopped right along with me and he was just bragging the other night about how much money he had saved in those months but now he just drinks his few in the garage and goes to bed,Lav, school shouldn't start til after labor day anyways,it's ridiculous to take Lou to school in 110 degree weather,feels odd haha,ate a healthy small dinner last night,choked down salmon(I don't like fish!) broccoli yet went and ruined all that healthy by going to my daughters and having pizza and cheesy bread haha,oh well today's a new day! Waves to all and wishes for a great booze free day for us all!
                      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Flying by to say hello and happy sober end to the weekend everyone. It's the start of another week, and as Byrdie and G-man always say for Fridays, this still means no tix to Boozeville.

Speaking of Byrdie, if you "whipped up" a cake (hahahaha can't imagine it's quite that easy) would love to see a pic of your certainly beautiful creation!

Take care everyone :heartbeat:
                        Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi Nesters,

Sorry I've been MIA as far as posting goes.. I check and read almost every day and feel a bit guilty for just taking and not giving anything back. I'm happy to read that everyone seems to be doing well, I love to read all of the great conversations, strategies planned and taken, support.:love:
                          As I mentioned a while back, I began spending most of my writing time journaling.. and now I've found someone who I'm working with to find a sustainable (for me) nutrition and exercise plan. Not drinking is the most important factor to my well being.. but a very close second is nutrition, all the other foods I put into my body. It seems I often switch from alcohol to some other "filler".. which I guess is ok for a time. But I want to figure out what makes me feel healthy and strong. You'd think I know since I cook for a living!:happy2:
                          I do know, but I don't follow what I know. This woman dealt years ago with food addiction and it's interesting that there's a very similar toolbox (to ours) used with regards to trigger foods. Anyway, the one on one is helping.
                          As far as that goes, I'm aiming for a B-.. drinking is non negotiable!

J-vo, I've been so happy to see you finding your way out! Your sounding strong and I wish you a gentle ease back into school. Our kids only get 6 weeks off for summer break and this year Berlin had the early break so they went back August 5th.. that's been a bummer. At least it's been fairly cool. I liked your thoughts about letting go of some the expectations you've had of yourself in the past. Taking care of yourself! I hope you'll keep in the forefront of your mind that nothing is worth drinking at! Rather step back a bit, do something soothing for yourself.:hug:
                          Kensho, I was also so happy to see you checking in when you felt your attitude towards alcohol shifting. You didn't let it go too long or ignore it, instead you came here for support. You're doing such a great job continuing to create a life you love, finding out what works and is sustainable for you!
                          G-man, a year is right around the corner! Do you have some sort of celebration in the planning? Have you set a date with Ava for coffee?!
                          Pauly, 5 miles a day is a lot! Kudos to you.. where do you walk? Is there a bit of nature nearby?

ok. time to research a bit.. I have a workshop scheduled for mid September that I'm scared to death about. Speaking to a group is my least favourite thing in the world! But I figure if I'm super confident in what I'm "teaching", it might be ok. I so respect all of you teachers! Wish I could get a crash course from you..

love and hugs to everyone! Lav, Byrdie, NS, Nar, Wags, Ava, Slo, xx

Comment

Hi Nesters,
                            Finally logging back on after recovering from nearly a week at the beach with 4 teens. It went well with very little drama and no drinking. But it seems that being away that long takes at least the same amount of time to get my feet back on the ground.

I know I need to log in and be accountable before something triggers a slide back into old habits. Feeling good at the moment even with the anxiety of kids going back to school (yes, that is a trigger for me because it is a transition and I don't handle transitions well). Daughter's anxiety is peaking lately and she had a full blown panic attack for the first time last week. She was having difficulty breathing. So boyfriend and I rushed her to urgent care. Let me tell you, when you get carried into an urgent care and say you are having difficulty breathing, you get fast service! I really thought it was a panic attack even though she nor I had never experienced one before. Regardless, they gave her the epi pen and a shot of Benadryl just in case it was some allergic reaction. Ugh. and that was a day I told myself I was going to chill and "re set" myself. Ya just never know what will happen with kids.

Son is a little sad to go back to college next weekend.. He has been doing a lot of cooking here and loving it. Hopefully there will be new experiences at school to keep him distracted and not homesick. School starts on the 26th for daughter and I know she is anxious about being a junior as so many people say that that is the most important year of high school when it comes to going to college. We did take a college tour yesterday with boyfriend and his family. He is a senior and has not toured any colleges until yesterday. His parents seem clueless. This kid is bright but needs some guidance in navigating his future.

Enough of all that. I am happy to be sober and getting good nights of sleep. I didn't even wake up to pee last night and by the time I did wake up at 8 I thought I was going to die of bladder overload. sorry for TMI

Now to read back. hope all are well.
                            BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Hey all, I spent several hours yesterday working on that cake and the lily I wanted to put on top. This afternoon when I went to put the flower on the cake, it broke in several places and I. Spite of my best efforts, I couldn’t repair it, plus I had to redo the cake because the failure marred the frosting, so I got that fixed. I may not put anything on it, I’ll have to see how it goes and if I get inspired to try it again.

Went to Olive Garden for lunch, they asked if we wanted a free sample of wine, back in the day, I’d have been all over that. Today, we passed. The waiter said, it is early in the day for AL. I didn’t tell him that I would start at 10:30am most weekends, so it wouldn’t have been early at all. I remember excusing myself at that restaurant to go to the bathroom and take a few swigs from my hairspray bottle full of vodka. Those weren’t the days.

Do do whatever it takes to break loose from this beast. Whatever you feed, you own, so stay strong, and I will, too
                              attached is the cake and lily before assembly. CD4BC9EC-067A-47B4-A4B1-8FCC3CC9DBFD.jpg
                              Hugs to all, Byrdie
                              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Byrdie - the cake and lily are beautiful. So sad that it broke. And I'm right with you on being on that free sample of wine. Oh the brunches I would go to.....not because of the food but because of the free flowing champagne. Yuck!

Belle - you sure were brave to be at the beach with 4 teenagers. LOL Hope you can rest up now.

Waves to everyone. :checkin:
                                "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                                AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Working...
                                X