Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Getting dark fairly early these days, a change of season is coming.

Jvo, first of all, Congrats on your 37 days, great work!
    I wish I could just say don’t let the work stuff bother you so much but I see it does. Are you seeing any kind of counselor or therapist? It would be great if you could learn some techniques to help conquer the anxiety. For now, deep breathing works like a charm for me. Focus on your breath for a few minutes, it really helps :hug:

Byrdie, you decided to ride out the storm, oh boy. I’m thinking about you & Rubi too, stay safe!

Hello & welcome back nursie. Settle yourself in the nest & get a plan together for yourself.

Ava, it sure was a hot summer here so you better prepare. Enjoy your time with your daughters.

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

[MENTION=21745]jvo[/MENTION] - CONGRATULATIONS on 37 days!!
      You did absolutely great working your way thru the all those emotions. Knowing what you were going thru (HALT) and walking your way thru it. I am truly sorry about your job. I drank at my job/boss more times than I can count. Didn't hurt them any, just me.
      "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Hola friends,

Jvo, can you leave the joint? Any way that's possible? Do u have 'long service leave' over there which here is 3 months paid leave after 10 years service.
        Great job on 37 days. try to take it easy and keep taking care of yourself. Tomorrow is a new day and a good chance our body chemistry has shifted a bit even if outside circumstances haven't.

Friend Kensho. Si mi amiga! Tuesday's the day. Muchas gracias!

Has Nursie returned? Is it true? OMG!! Hola mi amiga. Como estas? My bagel's gittin cold.

Thinking of you and family Byrdy. I hope you all are safe.

Day 360 over here. Crikey! Hello to all.
        Last edited by Guitarista; September 5, 2019, 08:50 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

G - less than a week 'til you're on your second sober circle around the sun! :yay:

Nursie - welcome back. Glad you pulled up a twig - there's always room here in the nest and we're glad you're here :hug:

Byrdie - thinking of you - hope you're all safe and dry. Please update us when you can :heartbeat:

Pav - good for you on going to yoga. Hopefully the pile will behave itself once you get there this morning.

Ava - great decision on your end as well, with staying home to tackle work stuff from there.

Hellos and waves to Lav, Kensho, NS, and everyone else stopping by the nest today or this evening. It's the freakin' weekend! Take a pass on those tix to boozeville and live your lives instead!
          Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Anybody hear from Byrdie?
            "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
            AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Needed to check in here. Went away to a family reunion last weekend and was so proud of not drinking. I even did sober Karaoke! But something cracked in me when I got back. Drank...not much but not good either. A little AL is bad for me because of some meds I take for fibromyalgia. Now I feel stuck, and the only option was to log into here where I found a lot to think about. Welcome Back, Nursie. I remember you from way back. Let's make this our last quit. Be back later after appointment with plastic surgeon to look at how skin cancer scar is healing. I'm not real happy with it and she may be able to tweak it. This time of year starts me on a depression. Speaking of that, psychiatrist wants to start daughter on prozac for her anxiety. idk but daughter wants to do something. She does start working a seasonal (halloween type) job tonight. I'm really proud of her because she only wanted to do it if her friend did it. Friend did not want to so she went it alone. I'm sure she will know plenty of kids there.

I read in someone's post about every time we slay the AL beast with a NO, it rewires our brain. I'm going to keep that thought with me today and plan to rewire.

Hi to all...see ya soon.
              BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Jvo - sounds like a rough situation (or collection of situations) and you did a GREAT job working through a full-blown set of HALT triggers. All you have to do is not drink, and you did it! When I hear you talk about your work/school, it's almost like I'm hearing my wife talk about hers (and now that I think of it, my mom back when she was alive and teaching). My wife and my mom were both fortunate to have one colleague, another teacher, as a trusted friend and confidante. They got each other through many years of challenges. Now that my wife is in year 2 of retirement, her friend is left to cope mostly alone and it's obviously very hard.

You sound understandably burned out and disheartened (not to mention angry and exhausted), and sadly I think a lot of teachers especially in our US school systems feel that way. It's a challenging gig from the get-go and the level of support and respect we extend to teachers in this US society is shameful given the tremendous responsibilities they have. I don't have any magic solutions for you, nor do I think you are looking for any, but I really do hear you. It seems like getting better sleep is one big key though, as that's the foundation for our bodies and minds to cope. If there's anyway I or we can help, please let us know. For now, sending you a pat on the back for riding out a very different storm than the one Byrdie is facing - the internal storm of the mind.

PS - maybe you can "rehearse" with the kids - sort of prep them in advance for the potential drop-in of the checklisters and have the kids practice some things they can say when asked what they are learning. I will admit I did this once back at the very beginning of my career. I was about 6 months into a teaching gig and was scheduled to be observed. I wanted the kids to help me make a good impression, so I talked with them in advance about the person who would be joining us for a particular class. I framed it as "he's coming to check out how we all are doing" and set it up as an opportunity for them to shine. I explained it in a somewhat conspiratorial way, explaining how the kids and I were all in this together - that I would help them look good and I needed them to help me look good. I anticipated the types of things my reviewer might ask and we discussed possible answers in advance as a group. It worked! The kids were great, which allowed me to relax and show my very best teaching self. I know this isn't the same as your situation at all, but maybe you can turn your kids into allies without crossing any professional lines.
                Last edited by wagmor; September 6, 2019, 10:42 PM.
                Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

X-post Belle - sorry to hear about the drinking but kudos for climbing right back in the nest. Yes, let's make this your last quit. You know the routine - visit the tool box, put together a plan, and perhaps most importantly, think through how you will do things differently if something similar arises in the future. You can do this! Glad you're here.
                  Last edited by wagmor; September 6, 2019, 09:00 AM.
                  Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

JVO, I read your post last night before bed and read every word. I'm so glad you shared, instead of drinking. That was great work! It's really shameful, as WAGS stated, that you feel that way. We seem to have a problem as a society with empowering people in their jobs, instead of putting them on the spot and making then feel judged - especially in the job you are in - one of the most important jobs there is! I'm sorry you aren't into the work any more. Make taking care of you a priority, ok? Eat sugar if you need to, rant if you need to, scream into a pillow and don't forget to breathe. It's a touchy time being early in your quit, but 37 days is fantastic!!!! Get yourself through this time any way you can, and there will be easier waters on the other side! Life may not serve up easier situations, but your ability to handle them will be infinitely stronger. Hugs to you!

G - the party is looming! What are you doing to celebrate, other than here in the Nest? Did you know that you have posted a few times in instances that absolutely SAVED me? I remember one time at our Christmas gathering, I was struggling big time. It was quiet in the Nest and I posted that I was having a hard time. I remember your words exactly - and they got me through that night.

My daughter is calling... so I have to run. I'm SO glad it's Friday - what a week. We have a race tomorrow morning in the mud, and I'm busting my butt with work. Feeling thankful to have you all and generally grateful for all I have in life.
                    Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Just so you know - Byrdie is OK & has been posting on Facebook, haha! Looks like her neighborhood was spared but the storm wreaked havoc in other areas. We just had a day of clouds & light rain here, nothing to complain about.

Belle, sorry you drank but glad you’re back. Why do you suppose you decided to drink after the party? Were you feeling deprived?
                      Replacing that feeling of depravation with feelings of gratitude that you no longer have to drink really works. I know it sounds weird but it’s the truth. Make this your final quit & have no regrets!

G, only 5 days to go - woo hoo!!!!!
                      Hope your weekend is a good one.

Hi to Wags, Kensho & everyone!
                      Since it was a rainy day I just spent it in my workshop getting ready for the next 2 craft fairs. Going back to it now, have lots to do to keep me out of trouble

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hola friends,

Hi Jvo. How are you doing?

Thanks for Byrdy update Lav. Great news. Hope the thing is fizzling out. Saturday morning here, so looks like 3, i say three more sleeps!

Hi Belle. Welcome back. There is no fail when we keep getting back up. A sure sign of self care right there.

LC, How are you?

Kensho, a race in the mud? Cool. Like this? Mud Run | Obstacle Races | Tough Mudder | Tough Mudder
                        Reckon i'll celebrate with an easy joyous run along a few beaches here. Wait a cotton pickin damn minute.... Yes, i can go for a run on a big wild deserted surf beach an hour from here on wednesday (my day off) instead of the smaller bayside beaches near me. Then a Thai massage. That sounds like a plan. Then i'm meeting Ava and Steady for lunch next saturday. No doubt they will shower me with gifts. Met Ava a couple of years ago, but not Ms. Steadfast as yet. It'll be a delight. (If my words have helped, i'm chuffed. Thanks).

Nesters. You will be offered a ticket to boozeville. Just remember, you can always say no. Boozing is not necessarily our destiny. Every new day is another opportunity to reinvent ourselves and change what we don't like. We can change our situation and headspace anytime. It doesn't have to be next week or next year. We have the power. You are the BOSS. Go git it!

Hi Wags, Nora and all the crew.
                        Last edited by Guitarista; September 6, 2019, 06:19 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

It's been a banner day of crap thrown at me. Car broke down leaving doctor's appointment. Major hassle getting it on a flatbed for towing because it was stuck in reverse...Son called with some serious roommate drama/problems...So drained, tried to lay down and rest with dog in bed...she pooped, cleaned that up, then she peed in the bed...let see...to top it off, there was a mosquito in my cup of green matcha tea that I was drinking to relax. I'm posting and complaining here instead of drinking. Haven't heard from car repair place. Could be (literally) the end of the road for my Bertram...(named after a character from Thomas the Tank Engine).

So I think I'll take a walk. a long one. hubby is out getting Indian food. I'm not sure I'm even hungry. I think I need to get out walking before the drinking thinking gets to me.

My quit is really being tried today.
                          BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

I had a better day and will post tomorrow. Thank you so much for keeping me in your thoughts. It is so much appreciated.:hug: good night.

Comment

Belle! A mosquito in your green tea!?! Well that's just the icing on the cake. I hate mosquitos. Hang in there!

G - YES! Exactly like that race, but a different one.

Had a 10 hour work day - tired and headed to cook fish for dinner. Not my preference, but glad to be home, and the smell of rain outside makes me happy!

Nighty night all!
                              Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hi Nesters

Happy Weekend to all. I can honestly say my weekends got a whole lot better when I quit drinking! Life still has its challenges, but a clear head makes it easier to get a handle on this thing called life.

My partner's still coming to terms(?) with his new reality. Still not smoking, but drinking every day. I'm holding back from saying too much to him as it really is amazing that he's still quit smoking, and I don't want to compromise that. I think the cardiologist will set him straight on the alcohol soon.

It's been an anxious time, but pleased to say I decided to take a bit of a challenge and have joined an Over 40s womens hiking group. Did a short hike last week, and tomorrow we're doing a longer one, and also planting trees in a nature reserve. Quite an antidote to anxiety and the blues!

Am waffling, sorry.

Very much looking forward to meeting with Ava and Mr G next Saturday :happy2:

Wishing everyone well............It's only the weekend, not a ticket to hangovers and regret.

Steady
                                :heartbeat:
                                AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Working...
                                X