Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Lav yep, we are in 2nd week of spring. I dive in most days of the year rain hail or shine - all seasons. Too cold for me to swim for long in winter, but warms up enough to go for long leisurely swims in summer to mid autumn. I just quickly throw myself in then get the hell out of there fast in winter lol. Invigorating, enlivening, refreshing. It's my regular training session of getting used to breaking out of the comfort zone. :llama::nutso:

But i'm down south where it's cooler. Further north, say from Sydney upwards you could swim 365 days of the year in mild temps.
    Last edited by Guitarista; September 12, 2019, 11:48 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

G - I've read about how good it is to do a cold water shock at times. Good for you, sounds like great YOU time. Nature would probably do me wonders, yes.

On the topic of sleep, we have been turning off our wireless router at night, and have been more careful about the amount high-EMF electrical stuff we have on, particularly at night. It is making a difference in the quality and length of my sleep - until the alarm goes off of course! I read some pretty disturbing reports on this topic.

NS, I've done that too, and to the same product. Read the label out of curiosity. Not something we should be doing! I think I was a little amazed and disgusted at how it was just diluted alcohol, in a pretty package. May as well just take shots. I don't miss NEEDING a fix.

My husband did well at his interview yesterday, after totally and completely wearing himself out with anxiety. SO what did he do after at 1:00? He got a beer. It's his go-to relaxer. BUT he didn't come home and continue to drink - in fact he didn't have any more at all. That's not how I would have done it. I would have been thrilled for the "OK" to drink early, and then been excited about having more at home.

I am going to start my day with stretching! Never regretted that. May neck is keeping me in pain, so I'm also looking forward to my first PT session next week. I have been reminiscing about how relatively pain-free my body was in my youth. I took really good care of it. Now, I work, work, work and drive and sit at the computer and don't take nearly the time I used to take to be fit. I am certain that is a big cause for my pain. Time to take care of myself. Looking forward to hearing from a professional as to how I go about it.
      Last edited by KENSHO; September 13, 2019, 08:33 AM.
      Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hi, All:

Kensho, a colleague was having neck pain and our Kaiser here has a neck class that really helped her. Hope you feel better soon.

Yes, Lav, I'm afraid that's it (except I'm a bit OLDER than 42!)

NS - My husband had one of those at a party. I was drinking a non-alcoholic flavored water thingy and I think I could have easily pulled the one he had out and started to drink it - the packaging was not clearly alcohol. As a matter of fact it looked quite innocent. It was 5% alcohol which was a regular beer back in the day before the 9% craft beer started coming out - and he said he couldn't taste the alcohol at all. PERFECT for kids... (SMH) ACTIVE sobriety! I'm in!

G - no doubt I'll jump in. The water is COLD here because of the arctic water that circles down, but I'm always good for a quick, ice-cream headache inducing jump in.

Happy SOBER Friday!
        Pav

Comment

TGIF!
          Well, it looks like I've lost that deal I was working on (where my guy moved to another company). I'm so frustrated. This is about the 6th time I've come right up to the edge of a great order only to have it elude me in the end. This is one tough business.
          Looking forward to the weekend. I have big plans that involve cake. It's only Friday, not a ticket to BoozeVille!
          Can't wait to hear how the luncheon with Mr G, Available and Steady went! Hugs to all, Byrdie
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Oh Byrdie. I'm so sorry to hear that.
            "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
            AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Wow, the whole day went so fast, it’s after 8 pm & I’m finally sitting down, geez. I thought retirement was about relaxing, haha! I’m taking my daughter & granddaughter to a show for kids at a nearby college tomorrow. It’s a production of ‘Frozen’ put on for kids by kids. Should be fun

G, thanks for the ocean details, there’s a lot I don’t know. I’m afraid of having a heart attack jumping into a cold ocean anymore, LOL. Glad you enjoy it to the fullest!

Pav, I have discussed the sleep issue with every health professional I know & am sorry to say there’s no known remedy. I refuse to take chemical sleeping pills so....... Who knows, maybe someone will come up with a natural cure next week

Kensho, I (try) to sleep in a cold, dark room & even throw a sock over the security alarm pad on the wall, ha ha!
              Glad your husband’s interview went well.

Byrdie, I’m sorry about the deal. I’m sure that’s a huge disappointment after all your hard work. You lock yourself in the kitchen this weekend & bake your brains out - great stress relief!

Hi there Nora & everyone.
              Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

G, way to GO! GGG you Go! I am so happy for you! It is a great milestone, way to go. You are an inspiration, I love reading your posts.

Byrdie, I am so sorry. Your job is tough, I wish I could help you xo It’s so good you are not drinking otherwise it would be 100 times worse.

Lav, yeah not being able to sleep really sucks. I hope you figure something out. Like you said, they might come up with a natural cure next week.

Hey, I am sober and happy for that. I cooked a bunch of food this morning and am going for a walk. Nothing like waking up Un Hung on a Saturday morning. Considering I spent over 30 years of having hangovers especially on Saturday mornings.

Have a great day, and don’t drink.
                Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Where the heck is everyone????
                  I hope you’re all enjoying a nice AF Saturday

I had a great time today taking my daughter & granddaughter to a show then an early dinner. They are on their way home now.
                  I appreciate my AF’ness because these special times would not be happening otherwise.

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!
                  Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

morning nesters

checking in and being accountable. As lav said where is everyone?

Well yesterday was a glorious day in melbourne to meet G and Steady for lunch. It started off with a protest in the city of all the women jealous of us having lunch with G but we managed to snavel him away and enjoy a gorgeous lunch. It was a pleasure to meet Steady after all of these years and hear her stories and G looks a million bucks and as fresh as a daisy. I managed to get in a nice 8k walk getting to the city and back. Its always wonderful to meet fellow mwo'ers and i sometimes think its a shame there are not more alkies in melbourne! ha ha.

Nar nice of you to pop in, hows that workmate going? has she totally come around to loving you like we do?

Lav, i appreciate my afness too. It was lovely yesterday to not feel deprived that we werent drinking but could enjoy each others company over water/coffee and food. Just feeling grateful to be alive really.

take care xx
                    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Sorry I've been absent the past few days - super duper busy holding down the entire household and a crazy week of work too! My wife comes home tomorrow night and thing will get a bit more normal again. Just wanted to pop in for a quick sober hello. Enjoy the rest of your weekends!
                      Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hola friends,

Hope things settle down soon Wags and you get a breather!

Byrdy, sorry to hear that about the deal. What a dayum frustrating situ you're in! In hindsight throughout life, Nothing stays the same forever and our situations do change eventually, but i wonder what the timeline is for this one?!

Lav, wishing you some kinda sleep solution. That would piss me right orf. A cool day with family. :-)

Well, yesterday on a glorious sunny spring day i met with 2 undisputed glamours of the International AF scene. Ava and Steady. Beautiful people and the convo flowed nicely. When i could get a word in, i told them how amazing they are. But they kept on with the accolades and a cake with a candle that i blew out. Thank you ladies, your words were generous and too kind. I had a blast and loved being in your company. Thanks for a great lunch.

Thanks Nar nar Narilly!

A windy drizzly sunday over here. But it's warm in my heart. I hope y'all are safe and sound. And are finding some peace over the weekend.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Comment

Hello Hello!

It was absolutely amazing to meet with Ava and Mr G yesterday! I'm in awe of both of you. Not only are you both strong in your quits, you share so much advice and support with others. Talking with you both was a pleasure, and I learn from each of you. Ava, we're the same age and have the anxiety beast in common. Great to swap self-care tips with you. Mr G, it was very helpful to hear you talk about staying sober but still enjoying the live music scene, you're living proof this is absolutely possible. I take my hat off to you both, and all the lovely people here on MWO. We're all human beings doing the best we can!

much love and respect,
                          Steady
                          :heartbeat:
                          AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Morning nesters,how fun that Ava,Steady and Mr.G all got to meet up! I'm glad you all had a great time Byrdie,I'm sorry your deal fell through,that really sucks,Lav,glad you had a good time with your daughter and granddaughter,I went to Kells yesterday and she accidentally ordered the biggest pizza I ever seen in my life! It was 24 inches and do big they had to cut it in squares,now we know to never buy order that size again haha,yep I'd never have those fun times if I were drinking,I'd be moping by myself with earbuds in stuck in my own self made prison lying to myself that I'm fine-just cutting loose all the while slowly killing myself inside and out where is J-vo? Tony? LC? Nursie? Come on in and post we don't bite have a Fab AF day everyone!
                            I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                            Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hola Pauly and y'all.

I think that it can be very useful to try to attack the stressors in our daily life and thinking in order to begin to change our relationship with alcohol. Why are we self medicating? What is driving us back to an anaesthetic again and again? If we cannot change the outside stressors in our daily life, such as job, relationship, environment, then maybe we need to remove ourselves from that stress for a while and take a break to stop the merry go round, the madness, and reset our thinking booze free. After our self imposed/enforced break, with a clearer head, then we can learn and practice how we want to respond and manage such stressors mentally and emotionally. Then we might be in a better position to chip away at a daily plan to change what we can change, whilst living sober in the knowledge we are taking some control, no matter how small at the start. Just some thoughts.

Have a beaut week ahead friends. I know there is a solution to every problem. It often lays outside our current chaotic blinkered tunnel vision and terms of reference, so we sometimes have to dig around a bit.Life is so much easier and more relaxed living sober. You will become a superwoman or superman soon enough if you use all of that massive energy you put into negative stress, anger, frustration, disappointment, distress and flip that huge force around to work for you as an energy. We can harness all of that negative energy. It is ours. We have created it and we can direct it and use it. For our benefit, not our destruction. There's no rule here, just get mad and turn it all upside down to begin working for you. Enough is enough. You will come out the other side lighter, freer, and living your truth. Consider a combo of - going for 30 days AF, AND importantly, start to chip away at removing outside stressors. Whatever this means for you. Can you do SOMETHING to improve your perspective, daily outlook? What small thing can you change attitude to today and everyday? This will be different for everyone.
                              Last edited by Guitarista; September 15, 2019, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Yep G, there is a little something we can do each & every day to help move ourselves into positivity!
                                I’m happy to hear you had a great meet up with the ladies Ava & Steady

Today my oldest grandson was here all day just to hang out, chill & eat a ton of food. I’ve just delivered him home so now I can relax myself. He only lives about 7 miles down the road from me & we followed an obvious drunk driver practically the whole way. It’s a long road, no passing allowed so I had no choice but to follow this fool, keeping a very safe distance. The line of cars behind us got quite long. I used the opportunity to educate my grandson about the dangers of drinking & driving. He’s still just 10 yrs old but they have to learn.

Hello to Wags, Ava, Steady, Pauly, Byrdie & everyone.
                                Wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                                X