Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Good morning. Settling into the morning with coffee and happy to be working from home today.

Great post PAV, lots of little gems in there.

Belle, you mentioned wondering if this was the bottom. What people have always said here is that if you wait until the true bottom, you will be dead. I don't mean to be too blunt, but there's always room to fall until the inevitable, as that is where this leads. I truly hope that none of us ever take one more step toward the inevitable and look to life!! Life is full and colorful and wonderful without alcohol! Choose a better life. It may take a little time, but there is no question that it will be better than what you are describing now. I remember that pit of the stomach exhaustion of fighting alcohol. It wins if you don't walk away. Hugs to you!!

Sorry about your job Narily. Sounds like you are ok with it. I say choose happiness over a sucky job unless you really need the money. Life is too short!

Well, I RSVP'd to a builder event for tomorrow night, because they are new builders that I want to develop a relationship with. I even worked out a way for others to get my kids to swim. Then I realized that the event is a "Bourbon and Bacon" event. Looks like I will be enjoying lots of bacon!! I do not feel nervous about drinking, and I know I can say a whole host of things as simple as "No Thanks" - but alcohol being a main part of the event, I may have to come clean, which I usually don't have a problem telling people... "I don't drink". What is someone going to say... "You should start again.... You are stupid.... what's wrong with you...?" I don't think so. They want to work with me (I hope) so they won't care.

Anyway, time for work. Thank you all for being here and being such great supports! I have never been happier in my life - and a huge part of that equation is not drinking!!! Hugs to all!
    Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Good morning everyone, that was some great advice Ken and Pav, I agree with all your advice to Belle. We are all in this together Belle, please know we are here for you.

We are all here for each other.

Yeah, the job..frick. What a pain. I am a bit bummed out about it and then relieved at the same time. It was super stressful and the girl I was working with was really hard on me ALL the time, like what the hell? Back off girl. I don't need that kind of stress in my life. I put everything into that job and would come home exhausted so I am glad that is over. I am trying to get into another industry, we will see.

Have a good hump day everyone AND
      Don't drink today xo
      Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
      "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Good Humpday evening Nesters,

I have my grandsons here this evening, such a joy, haha!! At the ages of 8 & 11 now at least I don’t have to run after them every minute

Belle, I sincerely hope you are OK & have made the choice to quit once & for all. Holding on to something as evil as AL just makes no sense. We all know the damage it can do.

Hello to everyone checking in today & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hola Lav and gang.

Narilly, sorry to hear your job finished up, but the stress! ain't worth dying for. Stress attacks our immune system so we are open to lots of illness including chronic stuff that then has an opportunity to take hold. Lav may have some knowledge on this but i read recently that when hospitals do an organ transplant op, they inject stress hormones at some point to shut down the immune system so it won't attack the new organ. There you go!

Friend Kensho. The new builders will be quietly super impressed and reassured when/if they notice you don't drink. I am sure of that. Not drinking is the stuff of elite level performers in business and in life. You are not some mid to upper mid level operator who has a pretty good portfolio. You are a no limits, we can go for anything, top, cream of the crop level badass.

Hi Belle. You must grab the bull by the horns. Hold on tightly with both hands to that little light of hope that is flickering within you, however dimly. You must nurture that little flame and build it, grow it, feed it, look after it like your precious life depends on it. Just take some positive daily action doing anything healthy even if you don't feel like it, or even if you don't know where to start or what to do to dig yourself up and out. Make a little simple easy daily plan you can handle, and follow it every day. You don't need to look too far ahead. Just get through this hour, this morning, this afternoon, this night, this day. Then do it again tomorrow.

To begin? Read our toolbox. Begin on page number 1. Go for it. Just do it. No questions or stress anymore. Here is the link -

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Re: Newbies Nest Sinclair Method for my son

I was curious if some of you are familiar with the “Sinclair Method” ? It’s a type of pharmaceutical extinction which blocks alcohol cravings in the brain. A pill nalmefeme, naltrexone , or selencro, the pill is taken one hour before a alcoholic drink. When following the Sinclair method properly it is basically like a edge for the brain to think better and be mindful for controlled alcohol consumption. Gradually the treatment effects thoughts or the signals in the brain that control the cravings for alcohol. It also can be inserted under skin to last for three months. And the injection lasts one week. The method doesn’t make anyone sick while consuming alcohol like some of the other drugs can be fatal. Of course the alcohol level in the blood must first be in a controlled range to start the method. This method has been approved by the FDA for treatment in the US and most insurance companies will cover the medications. I had hoped my son would try this method, but he had many arguments why it wouldn’t work for him.

Many states are passing legislation to cover the cost of treatment for AUD . There is a TED TALK video on you tube for more info. I hope I explained the method correctly. There are some very good videos available to help detail the Sinclair method and the control alcohol has on the brain, and great explanations why al addiction takes over the signals in the brain which in turn helps family members to become better educated with a in depth understanding on how to help a family member with AUD.

Sending healing blessings to help many of you thru the holiday’s. You will all rise!
            Love and hugs to all!
            "Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never -- in nothing, great or small, large or petty -- never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. " by Winston Churchill .

Comment

Narilly, I hate to hear you lost your job. You can have mine. Actually, I think too much of you to do that to you! I know you’ll land on your feet.

Belle, it didn’t seem like it at the time, but my hubs’ ultimatum to me actually saved my life. If I wanted HIM, AL had to go. It was HARD, anything in life worth having is. His words still ring in my ears, ‘I don’t want to be married to a drunk’. That hurt, a lot. But actually, who DOES want that? I had to become the person that he COULD love again. Muster every ounce of strength you’ve got. Set yourself up for success. We believe in you.
              I KNOW you can do this, I’ve seen you do it! When you get a thought about AL , say NO, HELL NO! Al will not take one more day of my precious life! PUSH it out! AL is poison. Know it and BELIEVE it! I certainly do! Here is the butt Velcro. Hugs dear lady.
              Byrdie
              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hello comfy cozy nest!
                Busy day today at work. Today was the first time I drove from work to home without a thought about alcohol. A few weeks ago I was agonizing over constant thoughts and cravings- the hardest of all we’re on the ride home from work. Yet, practice makes patterns and my new patterns are teaching my brain that we are not stopping off!
                I’m grateful for today as I feel like I’ve turned a corner.
                Grateful for all of you!!
                Xoxo
                Day 1 again 11/5/19
                Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi Nesties!

Day 25!!!! I can't believe it!

Shades, I tried the sinclair method for about a year with limited results. I quit taking Naltrexone because it's an opiate blocker and if one takes it on a regular basis they should wear a medic alert bracelet. I didn't feel safe on it and I wasn't getting great results.

What IS working for me is gabapentin. I fiddled around with dosage for most of the year, and 25 days ago I started taking it twice a day every day and guess what?..... NO cravings, none.
                  Throughout the year, I tried drinking while on it and well, that was a big FAIL. So off switch is still FUBAR. One or two is a unicorn in my world. So, I take 300 mg at 11 am and another 300 mg at 3 pm, it has about a 5 hour effectiveness. I could take another 300 mg per day, but this amount works for me.
                  I saw my GP today and she is impressed with my results, knowing how much I have struggled with this freaking booze disorder. The medication is also safe for long term use, AND because I've been working at this all year long my liver enzymes are in the NORMAL range! First time ever!

Best wishes to all in the nest and special hugs to ones who are struggling. I understand, I am like you, fighting to get out of this life sucking pit.:cuss:

Onward we go! :hug:

Comment

Nar - sorry to hear about the job, but also glad you're out of that stressful situation. The right thing will come along, and maybe you'll make that transition to another industry too! For now, focus on the positives of having less stress plus not having to work with that woman.

Belle - rock bottom is a hard place to be, and yet most of us had to hit it before we truly turned the final corner. I hope for your sake that this is actually yours and that you're able to leverage that into a real change. As others have said, get ALL al out of the house (and garage!), put together a detailed plan, and then have backup plans ready to go. Take it an hour at a time or 10 mins at a time if needed. You're worth it, and now is the best time to quit for good.

Moffit - woohoo on Day 25!!! That's so fantastic - keep up the great work!

Shades - the Sinclair method does sound familiar. I never tried it but I think I've seen a book about it maybe?

Kensho - I'm sure you'll be ab fab at the builders' event and as G said, they'll probably be secretly or openly impressed. Just to be sure, double check your plan and have your feet squarely underneath you before you go, and then focus on the real reason you're attending - to make work connections.

Lav - sounds like a fun time with your grandsons. Hard to believe they're 8 and 11 already!

Well, we did buy a vacuum and it's pretty awesome (for a vacuum). We only have hardwood floors so that made things simpler and less expensive. We ended up going with a German brand that has been in business since the late 1800s. Wow - just as a side note, imagine the history that company has made it through! Anyway, I've tested it out a bit here and there but tomorrow will be the big debut where I tackle the whole house. Don't be jealous :congratulatory:

Happy Thursdays to all!
                    Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Morning nesters,Moffit congrats on 25 days! My doctor gave me gabapentin for anxiety but I've never used it,I'm just not a medication fan but I'm glad it works for you to not have cravings! Speaking of medication I keep hearing commercials about baclofen for cutting down drinking on mainstream tv and radio,I've only ever heard about it on here when the meds section was busy,it must be gaining traction as an actual thing to be routed I commercials, interesting,waves to the gang and wishes for a happy and healthy AF day!
                      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Good MAE--

Way to go, Moffit! 25 days is great.

Nursie, I am glad to hear you felt so good today. It gets better and better. I did hit a slump at about 3.5 months. Not craving but blah - really? Is this it? Why am I so weak? etc. Hold on through all of it, and once you come out the other side you'll be so glad you did.

Nar and Byrdie - life is certainly too short for a horrible, stressful job. I hope you two can get out of those asap and find something you love. Byrdie's Bakery? Narilly's Snowsuit Boot Camp?? The possibilities are infinite!

Nice post, Mr. G. I hope all is well down under.

Lav - your grandkids are so lucky to have that relationship with you!

Kensho - Bacon and Bourbon?? Hmm. Sounds like BBQ?? It really is amazing how so much is billed to be centered around booze. Enjoy your sober time. I'm sure you'll get their business as you'll have your head about you all night.

x post Pauly. Have a great day.

Pav

Comment

Hello old friends. I can't believe it, but I'm coming to you today after having made it an entire year AF. It took getting into AA for me. There's a lot there in terms of support and teachings for how to live a sober life. A lot of it I can do without, but what works has worked for me...finally. The most important step for me was just surrendering to the simple fact that I'm powerless over AL. Once I did that, the rest of what I needed presented itself.

Anyway, I'm happy to report that after initially coming here back in 2012, I've finally taken control over the vicious cycle of drinking, not drinking, drinking, not drinking, shame and guilt, drinking, not drinking...

Much love out to you all and my sincere hope is that you all are also finding your way in whatever form that may take. What I can say is that I've never been happier, healthier and free of all shame and guilt that I once carried with me over my inability to moderate my drinking. I have my life back. I choose to live.

Happy, safe holidays -
                          Fin
                          Last edited by Fin; December 5, 2019, 01:57 PM.
                          Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
                          Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Hola friends,

Fin, 1 year AF! Congratulations mi amigo! Great stuff. Have a great day.

Moffit, 25 days! Wowza!

Big waves to evabody.
                            Last edited by Guitarista; December 5, 2019, 03:38 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Fin, I'm so incredibly proud of you! I bet you've been walking on clouds today! It really IS amazing to break loose of the cycle and live again! Keep up the great work and thank you for letting us know about your success. :celebrate: Well done, friend! Byrdie
                              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Way to go Fin! I year, woohoo! I loved your post.

AND Moffit, 25 days aint nothing to sneeze at, way to go!

Yeah Nursie,keep marching on, it gets better and better. It is better than drinking ourselves into the depths of despair.

Belle, I hope you are hangin' in there. I am thinking about you. Check in and let us know you are ok.

Pav, and everyone, thank you for the encouragement. Yes, a sould sucking job is not what I want. Hopefully I can figure this out and get a 'better' job this time.

I am going for a massage today and am enjoying my life.

xo

Don' drink today.
                                Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                                "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Working...
                                X