Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Greetings Nesters,

Wow, this old bird has been non-stop busy! I thought retirement was supposed to be easy, geez! I still have gingerbread dough waiting in the fridge for me to roll, cut out & bake. The kids love to decorate the gingerbread boys, haha!

I’m happy to see everyone focusing on what is really important - us!!
    I am so grateful that I have a clear head & the ability to still do the things I want to do. 11 years ago at this time I was still struggling to accept that i had to give up completely to have the life I wanted. Well, I obviously made the right decision, I have never regretted quitting, not even for a second. We can all do this

For anyone interested in those apricot filled cookies, here’s the recipe: https://polishhousewife.com/kolaczki/print/6795/
    I substituted Earth Balance or Smart Balance for the butter and Daiya brand for the cream cheese. Worked like a charm

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Thanks for the recipe Lav!

Dropping in for a quick accountability check. Sober!
      The last few days I have done so much souls searching, dug so deep and got really honest with myself. I am not wallowing in shame because that makes me a victim and keeps me stagnant. I am going back on antabuse ( my doctor was so proud of me for being honest with her). I’ve been reading and listening to podcasts. Journaling, and the hardest one for me- meditating. Because my thoughts are painful and I do anything to avoid my feelings. But I’m going to keep doing it. I’m going to keep building my sober muscles.
      I cooked a huge dinner for my family and now I am safe in my bed in my jammies. Err I mean safe in the nest!
      Day 1 again 11/5/19
      Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
      Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
      Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
      11/27/19: messed up but back on track
      12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi everyone. Ending day 2 here and knowing that I just cannot get through this Christmas season drinking. There are too many stressors, and drinking just does not help. I know that. Now I just need to keep remembering that.

The wine bottle disappeared, hopefully to the garage where it belongs. or perhaps he poured it out as I know he does not like wine that sits around. Best, he should keep it for next time he has to cook with wine rather than buy another bottle. just keep it out of my damn kitchen when you are done with it.

Nursie, we are both back on track and that is good stuff. We know we have the stuff to stay sober, and especially with all the support in the Nest and around MWO. We ARE going to take back our lives and leave this shitty AL behind.

I think I was feeling extra depressed because it has been cold and rainy, and I have had a cold...and I have not been able to take my 'sanity walks'. Last week was crazy with juggling sick dog and training class.

We have office party at my boss' house this Thursday afternoon. Even though he is a non-drinker, he has a fully stocked bar....and a bowling alley in his basement. He also has retro pinball games, pacman, and skeeball. I know folks will be drinking there, but that does not bother me. I do all my damage on my own. So I'll be fine there. and I hate drinking in the afternoon anyway. Just makes me feel like shit the rest of the day.

that is enough blabbing. Goodnight nesters...and on to day 3 for me.
        BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Morning nesters, Belle i always loved day drinking! At least you will get over that hurdle easily Nursie, glad you git the antabuse if it helps then by all means TTFP like K-9 used to say! (Take the f*"kn pill!) I've been melancholy, not really depressed just sorta " meh" Christmas brings that out in me, plus analyze the past year, what is 2020 gonna be like, why'd i add so much more debt by buying so much, etc, etc need to keep my mind positive!Ava, did your mom's tests come back yet? Hope shes ok just heard yesterday that my cousin who's my age just had her 4th baby, she has two grown adult children and one little 3 year old boy, now she has a newborn, more power to her but i think I'd die! I have Romeo and Louie for a few hours and am so glad when their mom or dad get them so i can't even think of being responsible for a full time set of babies, yikes! Waves to the gang and wishes for a happy and healthy AF day
          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi, All:

Great posts, thanks. I will say that Exit Strategy was key for me. They all were but one time I didn't have a way home and was stuck at a beer garden for an extra two hours. It was painful and weird - I hid out in the bathroom and contacted some folks here.

When I first quit I was ashamed and mad at myself. Something that someone wrote reminded me of that, but I got distracted and now don't have time to read back. (oy, getting old!) I am glad I don't feel like that any more mostly. I know some of you are loud and proud sober people. I am FINALLY able to talk about it more openly and finding pride. I was with my cousins this weekend and looking back at pictures from a family reunion we had the summer I quit (6 months in). The third night I started a dance party - and someone said to my sister something about the wine I must have had. She told her I was not drinking and she was surprised - THREE nights in. No one noticed. That said to me that I could be fun and I could have fun without booze. And now I think I'm doing some sort of free association waffle here in the nest. I think I need more coffee...

Byrdie, everything crossed for that deal. Keep it up, Belle and Nursie. Meh is better than bleh, Pauly? Hi everyone else.

Happy SOBER Hump Day!

Pav

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Still trying to get all the holiday chores done so at some point I can sit & relax, Lol
              We got to have lunch with our daughter today on her day off, that was nice

Belle & Nursie, I am happy for both of you & know that you can succeed. You both deserve a happy & healthy AF life! Stay on your plans, no excuses!! There is never a good reason for any of us topick up a drink, right?

Pauly, I am in total agreement with you - being a grandparent rocks, especially when they go home, haha!

Pav, I somehow have a feeling you are tons of fun, just being yourself. No need to try to enhance you with AL

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hello Everyone! Day of shopping and some work... then two long work days ahead in the mountains. After that, I can chose when I work and when I sleep... I love having some time off.

I am so excited to be going into this Christmas without the stress of "do I drink? I shouldn't... but I want to... will I? No, but I want to... what do others think? How are they able to just leave their half-full glasses? I feel so alone, I hate this... I just want it to be like it was. But I was miserable where I was." I am NOT miserable now - I have found my way out. We can ALL do that. And it's worth all the efforts!

They said "it was in you all along...it's not the alcohol making you fun or exciting", and I think that is so true. It just takes some time to get it sorted.

LAV, you strike me as someone who manages her time pretty well. I'm sure you'll get some down time soon.

Belle, just know that there will be a day that you don't feel like this. It is part of the process. Just. Keep. Moving. Forward. You will get there!

Have to run and finish the ugly sweater I'm sewing... I'll post a pic when done. It's hideous.
                Last edited by KENSHO; December 18, 2019, 09:12 PM.
                Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Slow day - not much to add. This week is DRAGGING by. I can't believe it is only Thursday...

Sounding good, Kensho. Keep it up.

xo
                  Pav

Comment

Annual ugly sweater no. 3. It's definitely not pretty! Macreme on the back, feathers and lights on the front. Happy Holidays everyone!

Screenshot 2019-12-19 09.21.24.jpg

Screenshot 2019-12-19 09.21.10.jpg
                    Last edited by KENSHO; December 19, 2019, 11:24 AM.
                    Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

That is one ugly sweater Ken!

Happy Un Hung Thursday everyone!

Just a quick post to say hello. Belle, like Ken says, keep moving forward you will get to the point where you don't care about drinking.

Nursie, great you are staying on top of things.

Lav, yeah Christmas can be crazy busy for sure. We are going on our annual 2 day road trip to Banff. This year all 4 of us are together so it is great. I love going to Banff, the mountains are beautiful, food excellent and we have some great, relaxing family time before Christmas hits.

For anyone struggling- Persistence pays off. Keep after it, sobriety is not a dream.

Don't drink today, its gross.
                      Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                      "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Morning nesters

Well all of Australia is over 40 degrees today, my mum has never seen it like this so that shows something how climate change is affecting us. Our lucky prime minister is holidaying in hawaii as apparently he deserves a holiday and maybe our fire fighters dont. Makes me furious grrr, my bitch for the day.

Happy birthday Lav, i hope you have a lovely day keeping busy and smiling.

i saw a post on fb today "Instead of saying I quit, start saying I began". I know i began a new and better life when i began to be sober.

Working from home today but dont think i will do much, house is closed up.

Lovely cardigan Kensho, i wish we had to wear them lol.

Nar, hello lovely.

take care xx
                        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Yikes, Kensho, that sweater is unique! I hope he wins again, he has a reputation to protect! Great job on pulling that together, the feathers were a nice touch!

I was reading something on FaceBook that said:
                          The thing that unites everyone matters more than all of their differences. That set me to thinking. With all of the political upheaval going on and sides drawn on just about every subject under the sun up to and including what to dip French fries in, it is just amazing that this little group finds a common voice. We all do have one foe, and that fact does, indeed, unite us. Thank you for each and every nester for making this a safe place to land, learn and grow.

Hugs to all, Byrdie
                          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hugs to the nest!
                            I’m still sober and still working hard at it!
                            I made amends to the restaurant- I called to apologize and do you know what they said? They asked if I was ok! They appreciated the call and said I could come in to speak to the manager that was there any time so we could talk about it. They also saved my tab for me- so I will go and pay that too. I’m so glad I made that call!
                            Day 1 again 11/5/19
                            Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                            Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                            Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                            11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                            12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Greeting Nesters,

Kensho, that sweater rocks! The macrame tree on the back brings back a lot of 70’s memories for me

Ava, the fires look devastating & I am so sorry about the loss of 2 firefighters. We, the people of the world have got to get a grip & address climate matters.

Nursie, glad you made that call too. Keep in mind this can be the very last time you ever have to do that. Your new AF self will not be getting into any situations like that, right? Keep on moving forward.

Hello to Byrdie, Pav & everyone!

We just back back from dinner & a freezing walk around Longwood Gardens to see the lights for my birthday. 23 degrees out so the walk lasted a little less than an hour Lol. Everything there is decorated so beautifully, it’s very special
                              Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest!

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Kensho - whoa, that sweater is really something!

Ava - I love that quote that you shared: Instead of saying I quit, say "I began..." That's fantastic and really better captures what this is all about. We may have first come here based on quitting al, but it's the beginning something better that makes any quit a real success.

Nar - Banff sounds wonderful, hope you have a good time!

Nursie - great step forward with the restaurant, and sounds like a good outcome. Good for you!

I had a long day of teaching and I am tuckered so I'll say g'night for now. Hellos and waves to Lav, Pav, Byrdie, LC, G, Pauly, Belle, and everyone else stopping by the nest today/tonight. It's almost the freakin' weekend babies - gonna have us some fun!
                                Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Working...
                                X