Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

I have given up drinking more than 20 times in my life, once for 9 months and then we survived a bushfire and it was a time to celebrate. There was no stopping me then, daily drinking became the norm. I was so embarrassed and ashamed next morning. I tried no booze Tuesdays but that didn't last long. My dad suffered from cirrhosis of the liver and neither my husband nor myself wanted me to end up that way but that didn't stop me.

The thing thatdid stop me is an image from the Oprah show (Yes I do watch it.) Anyway Dr Oz, who is a real doctor, was showing some people what a healthy human liver looks like and they got to hold it. Then he showed them a diseased liver and it was black and hard and much smaller than the other one. That image of the shrivelled liver is what I think about and what I never want to have happen to my liver. I have 6 weeks AF up my sleeve now, the longest in eight years. I owe it to the My Way Out book, the cds and the supplements. Once I began to pay attention to taking the supplements every day I was also able to hold out against the AL cravings.

I like to drink tonic water and usually have lots of it on hand. My husband is finding that he's drinking less as well. It makes it much easier for me. Before, if he was having a drink then that would give me permission to start and then not stop unless I was falling asleep or spewing. Oh! Thank goodness I haven't got to experience that anymore.

Anyway, this site is a godsend for me. I am not familiar with these talk back websites but am getting to know this one and loving it.

Hope you're all having a healthy weekend.
    Tant
    AF since 12 April 2010

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey everyone, just checking back over the last few pages - yes Mama, pissed meant drunk as in 'pissed as a fart'! He goes out the odd time with one particular mate and they seem to put away quite a few pints! The other bloke is huge and obviously has a much bigger capacity than hubs but that doesn't stop him!! Anyway its his birthday today so I have to be nice!
      Am feeling EXTREMELY stressed today, my daughter is having a few friends in this evening so hubs suggested we go out with a couple of friends for dinner and as its his birthday I said yes. The problem is the woman of the couple used to be my best friend but dumped me when I gave up the booze. I was at her husbands mothers funeral a few weeks ago and she virtually snubbed me and I was dreadfully hurt. I didn't let on to my husband cos I think he thinks I'm paranoid. Anyway her husband said he would ring last night to make arrangements and hasn't got back to us. I really hope they don't now cos I don't feel strong enough to be snubbed again, sorry for going on a bit but I'm really quite upset. Don't worry - I won't drink - but my god would I be deep in the bottle already in the bad old days!!
      Molly
      Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
      contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Molls, you know what? You are soooo much better than her. She has her own probs obviously and hasn't admitted to them. Too bad for her. If you do end up going out tonite with them, just hold your head high and relish your AF drink!! So sorry your "best" friend turned out to be a traitor but I guarantee your life is so much better than hers right now.

NoraC, Tant, HC, Johnny, Prancy, Panno, RC: good to see you and glad things are going well. Tant, I saw that show too and was horrified. I think it was during my first AF try back in March? Wasn't enough to keep me from slipping tho once or twice. Maybe I'll have to download a pic of that liver.

Spuddle-welcome back and hang on tight. Feel free to use a velcro suit if you need too. Unfortuanately, just because we go AF for a period of time doesn't mean we get a do over with AL and can start from the beginning. Wish it were that easy!! The damage has been done to our systems and our brains and they have "memory".

Spinning J: :welcome: this is the place to be for newbies. We will support you any way we can and save your spot when you fall. The velcro is free and really helps. Once fennel gets back the eats are very yummy!! There's always bagels and DC in the fridge tho.

Things are going very well for me. I'm getting lots of exercise and I'm starting the "7 weeks to Sobriety" eating plan today. Still need to do some shopping for fresh produce and then I'll be set. Did you know that brown rice bread isn't all that bad? Seriously!!
        I had hoped to get to a beach today with my devil dog who is the only one that can be off leash but I'm a couple of weeks too late unless I want to drive 2.5 hours into Maine (which I don't). I guess I'll stick around the house and start some of my projects or at least do the dishes LOL!!

Have a great weekend everyone-stay away from that first drink and you'll be golden!!
        :l :h
        New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks PapM, I appreciate your support! Unfortunately the husband rang about an hour ago so we are meeting this evening about 8 and I am truly dreading it, but you're right, she is the one with the problem, but I don't think it will be pleasant! Anyway, delighted you are doing so well - we are both about the same now and its feeling good again isn't it?! Whats the story with the beach and the dog and the leash? Anyway have a nice evening all and will check in later or tomorrow
          Molly

Comment

Newbies Nest

papmom, i got my velcro suit on, firmly fastened in. youre right about memory, i think after my mess up last week my brain remembered thats what i do and had a repeat performance. i really wasnt ready for that. just shows i cant let my guard down.
            mollyka, i hope your evening goes ok, anything better than ok would be brilliant. i know its gonna be tough but dont let it get to you. you are doing this for YOU, and no one can be more important than you right now. be proud, hold your head up high and make the best of the evening.
            Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
            Keep passing the open windows

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey MollyK-yep, hold your head high and know you are the better person on a lot of different levels. Treat her nicely but DO NOT let her beat you down because you don't drink anymore. And if she persists in trying to make you feel bad, don't be afraid to plead headache and cut the evening short. Unfortuanately in this situation you can't give her what for because it will turn the evening sour for your hubby but you don't have to sit there and take it. Maybe make a plan with your hubby to give him a signal if you just can't take it anymore? You are NOT being paranoid so don't let him tell you that. I'm betting it will be a very civil evening;the boys will have fun and you and she will make small talk or ignore each other. good luck!!

My dream with "devil dog" is to find an ocean beach that allows dogs off leash so he can run and play in the water. He has a fabulous recall where my other two don't at all and can never be off lead. Unfortunately, I never think to do this until the weather turns nice and then all the beaches prohibit dogs for the summer. I'll have to be better prepared this fall!!

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

AAhh got you with the dog PapM! I don't think dogs are allowed off the leash on beaches anytime in Ireland, I'm not sure>
                Thank you again and Spuds for talking me thro this, heading off in about half hour and Hubs has gone on ahead to have a couple of pints with them before the meal and I would have to be lying if the thought of a VERY large drink calming my nerves didn't go thro my head, but I won't - again mainly thanks to you lot!!!
                I'll let you know how it goes:thanks:
                Molly

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hippy Chick,
                  I think I was with you on some of those nights, but I can't remember........
                  prancy

Comment

Newbies Nest

im settled in for the night with popcorn and movie 'dead poets society' nice feelgood factor for me. looking forward to another sober sunday.
                    mollyka, hope your evening went well. every challange makes us stronger

Comment

Newbies Nest

Spud take it ur not into the Eurovision then:H:H
                      Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Panno;871246 wrote: Spud take it ur not into the Eurovision then:H:H
                        noooooooo. it all went downhill after bucks fizz...... ah now did they invent the butt velco

Comment

Newbies Nest

ha ha Bucks Fizz - 'Making your mind up' quite a good title for all of us don't you think - we've all made our mind up!!
                          Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey we're all pretty shit at this eurovision thing aren't we!!
                            Just checkin in to say my night is over - wasn't too bad, she was a bit frosty at first but calmed down after a few glasses of wine. Just home now and daughter had her friends in and thankfully they all gone to the nightclub. 16 yr old son definitely had a couple of beers with her mates I reckon so sent him to bed with a flea in his ear. So all in all glad the evening is over and hubby had a nice birthday - daughters birthday tomorrow so family all going out for another meal - sick of eating, thankfully no drinking - touch and go for a while!!!!
                            Night all
                            Molly

Comment

Newbies Nest

yea Molly girl!! I'm so proud of you!! See, you were the better person!! Was it really hard not to order a glass of wine or beer?

Kids are so funny!! When I got to the grad party last Sunday I said hello to the graduate,my nephew and what was his response (in front of his friends of course)? "Hey Auntie,ya wanna grab me a beer?" "nope" I said and walked into the house. When I came back out I told him to ask me again when he was 21. He thinks he so cool because when they went on vacation in April to Paradise Island, the drinking age was 18 so he got to go out on the town. Plus he goes to frat parties at the local college. So fresh!!

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good story Papmom. Funny I never really drank much until my mid 20s. I was always more of a caffine junkie. Get all wired up and go skate. Wish I would've stayed that way. Would've saved me a lot of trouble.
                                Sober since 4/8/10 -OVER 150 DAYS AND GOING AF!!!!

Get busy livin or get busy dyin-Duane Peters
                                No more bad future-Skull Skates

Comment

Working...
                                X