Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Hi Evabody. Back from camping. We had to change plans last minute due to fires here, so we camped in the Snowy Range of Wyoming. Beautiful, and blue skies! I love being out in nature - it makes me feel small and important, all at the same time. Humble and cared for. The stars were incredible. Anyway, lots of smoke here too PAV. I've resigned myself to just be doing inside things and focus energies there. It's gloomy out, but it will also pass.

LAV, glad the little chicks are making their way through chick-childhood. Soon enough they will be laying for you!

Byrdie, congrats on your nephew! I would absolutely love to hold an infant again.

Wags. What a dream. Glad you are having a positive vet experience... it makes all the difference!

LAV, true-dat about taking care of ourselves first. There is no other way.

I narrowly escaped a heated political yelling match while camping. My husband later asked why I left, because I'm usually the rational discussion person with these topics, and I told him it was because I watched the other guy sip on whisky the entire day and knew he had no ration left. Alcohol really creates unneeded hostility at times and I wanted no part of it.

Anyway, hope everyone has a good day. I've already exercised and that feels good. I've gotten into the habit of breaking a good sweat most days, and I feel so much better for it!
    Last edited by KENSHO; August 19, 2020, 10:02 AM.
    Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Happy Un Hung Wednesday everyone.

Congratulations Byrdie, those little feet are SO cute!

The fires are terrible in CA hey Pav? They are awful anytime but now with Covid its even worse.

Love the chicks Lav.

Ken, I hate it when people start talking politics and right away they get all upset about the current leader and blah blah blah. OR they love the current leader who is a total knob and then you have to sit there and listen to the BS that is coming out of their mouth. Very painful. I would have left early too.

Have a good one everybody. Hi G, Pauly, NS, LC, Ava, Wags
      Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
      "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Hello Nesters,

Pretty decent day here, started damp then the sun arrived
        My little feathered friends are doing fine, makes me happy. They seem like a nice bunch, at least for now. Funny that you’re all learning more about chickens that you ever thought you would need to know, haha!!

Byrdie, the color of the chicken feathers & what you feed them doesn’t affect egg shell color. It’s all about the breeds - some are white egg layers, some brown, some blue or green even. 10 of the 16 chicks will grow to be white egg layers, a first for me. I have only ever had brown & blue layers before. Have fun with your new cookie cutter, sounds neat!

Wags, at some point I’ll have to test the nesters to see if. They are really retaining my chickens facts LOL. Hope your day was great!

Pav, geez, be careful. I’m seeing fire video on the news right now. My brother is out there too!

Kensho, your trip sounded like it was great!
        When it comes to talking with or debating a drunk ~ just leave it, there’s no winning.

Narilly, are there any fires up in your area? I think I remember some there last year? Stay safe!

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Pav, I saw those fires on the news, too. Scary! I’m so sorry and I hope they are able to get them under control quickly.
          Kenso, good job on walking away, I need to take a page from your playbook. You were smart to recognize you can’t reason with alcohol. Good job, missy!
          Tomorrow, I’m doing a clam bake, minus the clams. (I don’t eat seafood). So we’ll see how that goes!
          Hope everyone has an easy evening. Byrdie.
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Lav, I read about how the USPS slowdown is horribly affecting chick deliveries - many or all arrive dead. I'm so glad you got yours before this most recent destructive move by our gov't. I'm putting my mask on and going to a PO protest tomorrow in the vacation town I'm in. This whole situation is NOT OK.

Vacation has been great. Warm days and cool nights. Most of the time has been spent w/ family although we've had a few days here on our own. I even read part of a Real Book! Last evening I came in from sitting and reading by the pool and had that great tired feeling from being out in the sun and wind. My husband was off on a bike ride and leftover wine was sitting on the counter. The romantic notion to sit in the shade on the porch and have a glass definitely crossed my mind. Fortunately my go-to thought of "But I don't drink" immediately popped into my head and I decided to take a nice long bath with oils to sooth my sun-soaked skin.

It was just a reminder to me of how we have to take steps to keep our situation at the 'front' of our minds. There are so many cues to drink! I'm so glad to have stayed connected here and not slipped into complacency. There are too many chances to screw up!

Take care, NS

Comment

Hi, all:

Nar - I love the expression "total knob." I might have to add it to my vocabulary. Seems so fitting...

Lav, I didn't know your brother is out here - or if I did I didn't remember (ah, the joys of aging). I hope he's safe. It is a mess. I am safe, but no outside exercising - or even sitting really. I wonder how smoky air is helping the progression of a disease that attacks the lungs? To where so you evacuate in a Pandemic? Such a f'ing mess.

Stay safe out there. I am finding hope in Byrdie's new nephew - the circle of life. Take care of yourselves...

Pav

Comment

Originally posted by Pavati View Post
                I am safe, but no outside exercising - or even sitting really. I wonder how smoky air is helping the progression of a disease that attacks the lungs?
                Seems to me that staying in away from smoke, ash, and dust as much as possible is a good choice, Pav. I read this yesterday: Airborne viruses can spread on dust, non-respiratory particles -- ScienceDaily
                I hope you continue to not be directly affected by the fires. xx

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

I am definitely enjoying the weather break that has been bestowed on us. The hot & humid ugly stuff returns on the weekend, ho hum.

Pav, my brother is outside of Sacramento. I guess he’s used to this fire stuff, I’m definitely not. I hear the air quality is at the worst it’s ever been You stay safe & get out if you have to friend :hug:

NS, good job on ignoring that bottle. I remember when something like that would have driven me crazy but no more. We don’t drink! Glad you are enjoying your vacation

I thought it was funny yesterday that my chicks were hopping on top of their food & water containers, practicing their roosting skills. Today they are actually making it up onto the roost. That sure didn’t takes long, haha!!

Byrdie, I don’t eat clams either but you could bake me some crabs or lobsters, LOL. Have fun!!

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                  Last edited by Lavande; August 20, 2020, 04:42 PM.
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hi gang.

Hi Pav. Sounds rough there. Hope it can be contained asap. Thinking of you and all over there.

Lav, chicks are on it!

NS, hope you're feeling relaxed from the vacay.

How are things Ava?

All ok here. Sure ain't no fun with these restrictions on movement. But i still got a guitar. Take it easy out there.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Hi, All:

We must have cross-posted yesterday, NS. That sounds like a perfect vacation. Of course you don't drink... I was imagining your scene and when you said wine the scene was ruined for me.

I'm reading a sober memoir right now - wow it could have gotten so much worse. Also Kristen Johnson's (I was into finding sober celebrities for a while) sister just died of something related to addiction. It is a scary thought to think what could have happened if I hadn't gotten off that hamster wheel when I did. Thank you all for your support!

Happy SOBER Friday. I am so glad it is the weekend.

Pav

Comment

Happy weekend eve everyone, haha!

Of course all the days are the same to me, retirement can make you somewhat confused as to what day it is
                        Retired but hardly idle. Takes half the morning to make sure the dog, chickens & chicks are fed, watered & cleaned up for the day. I’m getting more requests for masks & things so I’m never bored.
                        I’m just grateful to be able to do things at a comfortable pace, no deadlines to meet, yay!

G, you have your guitar & I have my sewing & embroidery machines. We can do some good in this weird time in history

Pav, I hope your weekend is relaxing & maybe you’ll get a chance to get out for a little hiking.

Hello to the whole group & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hi All. Kind of a crappy day here. Just looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow and tackling a difficult client email then. Time to give my head and heart a break. I used to drink after days like this - but I guess I drank after ALL days. But especially these. No more... just a good sleep and I have to give myself a break.

Best to all, I'll check in with more another time.
                          Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hi, All:

Lav - A+ chicks all the way. Must be because you care for them so well! I look forward to retirement just so I can work LESS. I know I'll always be busy like you are - I get into a funk if I don't have enough to do for a while.

I woke up this morning because my hand was numb (I was sleeping on it), then settling back in I realized it was lighter than usual - I looked at my phone and realized I had not set my alarm and I was late. I jumped out of bed and was trying to think about what I could bring for lunch when it hit me that it was Saturday. Aaaahhh. That felt good...

Happy SOBER Saturday,
                            Pav

Comment

Happy Un Hung Saturday everyone. I Love waking up on Saturday morning without a hangover, it never gets old.

Pav, that sucks in California. You guys have been going through some crappy times. I have family in Sacramento and they say they can't leave their house because of the smoke and ash. ugh. We don't have fires around Calgary yet but there are big ones in BC. So far our skies have been blue but that could change.

Byrdie, that is awful about the PO and the dead chicks, ffs. The U.S. postal system was alway something other countries aspired to and now not so much. What a shit show. Kick some butt at the protests (from a distance with a mask on)

Lav, interesting about the colours of the eggs.

Play a song for us on your Gtar G. Have a good one.

Hello Wags, Ken, NS, everyone.

I am going for a walk with my friend now, then lunch at mom's (appropriately distanced) and then a bike ride with another friend. I have decided to start exercising more just because I can.

Don't drink today, its gross! (Hi Pauly, xo)
                              Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                              "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Saturday greetings to all!

Not much going on today & that’s fine. We both did go to the local pharmacy & got flu vaccines. They’re offering them earlier than usual because of all the viral stuff going on. I thought it was a good idea
                                Getting hotter & more humid again, just as predicted. The chicks are fine, happy in their big house haha!

Kensho, you just reminded me of my former behavior of drinking after bad days & eventually after every day. So grateful that is long over because we don’t drink!! Today was probably much better, it usually is

Pav, you made me laugh! I’ve been known to do the same thing, Lol. When I was working & having Wednesday or Thursday off because I was scheduled to work the weekend I was always confused. I even showed up at work, ready for the day only to find it was my day off, haha!! Things get better when you retire, I promise!

Narilly, you sound like a regular exercising butterfly these days, nice!! Hope it was a good day!

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                                X