Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Hi all,
    Sticking with it, day 5 posting, day 9 no beer. I was back with the Dr today and librium is being reduced over the next 4 days so hopefully the brain fog will lift as well. The addiction team lead rang as well today so I should be assigned a counselor by the end of the week.
    Frances your doing great.
    Hello to everyone else who drops in and thanks for the support.

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

It was another dark & dampish day but at least it wasn’t hot so I’m grateful
      I see there are 2 more tropical storms forming so we’ll see if they come up this way. What a year!!

G & Wags,good to see you both!

Pav, I had certain digestive issues since childhood but never knew the cause. No one cared enough back then, haha! By the time I was a teenager I identified dairy as the cause & just managed a very low intake to keep my gut quiet. But the older I got the less I could tolerate & I figured it was lactose intolerance. I started using Lact-Aid products which seemed to help but still kept my intake low. In the meantime my joints became inflammed & swollen towards the end of high school & beginning of college. Still no one cared enough to offer any help Lol. Well, a few decades later I found out that dairy can cause lots of inflammation & figured it wouldn’t hurt to go dairy free for a while & see what happens. My gut improved immediately & my joints said Thank You! Honestly, to this day the only thing I miss is real cheese. But I cherish the peace in my gut & the freedom from the pain & joint swelling. So that’s my story & I’m sticking with it, haha!!
      Everything I cook & bake is & has been dairy free for many years now & no one knows the difference

Narilly, good luck with the job app! Hope it’s something good!

Dee, you’re doing great, we are proud of you!

Hello to the rest of the crew & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
      Last edited by Lavande; September 1, 2020, 06:01 PM.
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi, All:

Way to go, DeeDoo. What else are you doing for your sobriety. If you check out the tool box (Byrdie's signature) there are many posts to peruse and many ideas about how to set yourself up for success. I realized I had to change my thinking around in order to stay sober, including fully admitting that I had to quit, and coming up with ways to stay sober when the urge struck me. One key for me was in-person 1:1 counseling and sitting down and being COMPLETELY honest with my husband and getting him on my side. What support do you have other than us? (We're great and all, but we're not all you need most likely). Keep it going!

Lav, I would miss real cheese. Sorry you suffered for so long!

Good luck with the job, Nar!

Not much else to say. Happy SOBER hump day.
        Pav

Comment

Great job Deedoo. Sounds like you have some good people around you and are motivated. Keep going! You won't regret it. Clarity is around the corner...

PAV, is your headache gone?

LAV, I do actually wish we had the moisture you do. I love lush landscapes. I'd imagine it is different living in constant moisture though. Yes, baking with alternative ingredients isn't all that hard. And I used to say I couldn't live without "X", but the damage it does to my head is far greater than the pleasure it gives me. There are other yummy things out there. I suppose that's how you know if you're better off without something... if it causes more pain than pleasure (like alcohol).

Good luck Narily! Remind me what field you are in? Sounds exciting with your daughter.

I laid awake until nearly 2:00 last night. So I'm tired. Good thing I don't have huge deadlines. I'm redesigning my website to be more modern, and will work on the SEO in the coming months. I pondered ways to increase traffic for the desirable projects, and decided to target homeowners. I need a good sized, modern, artistic home to work on to update my photos.

Anyway, have a good day everyone.
          Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Well, I had a really weird drinking dream last night. I decided it would be ok to drink for 30 days and then I would just quit again. I think I was working on putting this "plan" into place when I realized that I would dread each passing day because I would be getting closer and closer to my new quitting day. Then I realized I would make up excuses to postpone that day and actually while asleep felt the anxiety that came with all of that. Just then my husband and an MWO friend (:egad decided to have an affair and I woke up. So glad that both of them were just weird parts of a crazy dream!!

Comment

Happy Un Hung Wednesday everyone...it's Wednesday right?

I am just listening to a podcast of a woman who killed her partner when she had a blackout. Ugh. She does not remember anything about it and misses her partner so much. Wow, I DO NOT miss having blackouts.

Lav, that is interesting about your dairy intake. My daughter is allergic to dairy, peanuts, trees, grass, dust, pretty well everything. After she left yesterday we took out the salted nuts I had hidden in the cupboard and felt guilty about eating them, haha.
              She got to her dorm after a 7 hour drive yesterday and I was relieved to get her text saying she was there. It is always a worry when my kids drive on the highway especially in the mountains.

I am in Procurement/Supply Chain but am open to other jobs. We will see where I end up, all I know is that I want a job that makes me happy and not want to kill myself. The last job was Brutal. Jobs in the oil patch are generally very stressful beccause people get laid off as soon as a warm wind blows.
              Ken, sounds like you know what you are doing.

DeeDoo- listen to Pav and check out the tool box, is very helpful.

Have a good day everyone.
              Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
              "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Evening all,
                Day 6 posting, day 10 sober.
                I'm hoping to have a one to one counsellor assigned by the end of the week and I'm also attending on-line meetings every second day. So slowly but surely I'm getting there. I have been spending quite a bit of time reading the toolbox thread.
                I actually had the energy to start painting a chest of drawers that have been hanging their head in shame in the back of a room, tomorrow will tell the tale of how they turn out.
                And yes you guys on here are brilliant.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Well I just heard to expect stormy weather for 36 hours! Really??? I definitely did not order that!! Ha ha!
                  I was hoping September would be a bit drier. We’ll see what happens I guess.

Pav, I’m just happy that I figured this stuff out myself. After spending 30 years working in the medical field I know one thing for sure - the patient often knows best! Some docs are not real tuned in & just don’t listen as thoroughly as they could/should. I have developed allergies to things as I’ve aged which is not uncommon either.

Kensho, trust your gut feelings & go from there. You alreday know what works for you & what doesn’t work.
                  My house is 17 years old & could use some updating Good luck!

NS, I just want you to know that it wasn’t me going after your husband ~ I swear
                  Dreams are so freaky sometimes & make absolutely no sense. I’ll take a drinking dream as a reminder that I do NOT drink.

Narilly, happy to hear your daughter arrived safely! That is a long drive for a young person.
                  The funny thing about allergies is they seem to disappear in some people. My husband had tons of them as a kid & now there’s only a few things like shellfish, ASA & Penicillin that produce breathing & asthma problems in him now. I guess that’s a good thing for him!

Dee, you’re doing great & will soon be reaching 2 week sober, yay!

Hello to the rets of the group & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Speaking of drinking dreams, I had one the other day. Maybe my brain giving me a warning?
                    Many of you know that I've been caring for my Mom. She has stopped eating/drinking in the last 24 hours. It is time but it still hurts.
                    So, I thought it would be wise to pull up a twig in the nest. :heartbeat:
                    "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Oh, Nora :hug:. You and your husband have given your mom so much love and support these past years. I’ve tried to emulate you but fall short in the amazing patience and humor you have had in a tough situation. I hope the coming days are filled with love and peace. xx, NS

Comment

Nora - sending you love and strength. Glad you're here with us. The nest will help you get through the difficult days ahead (and beyond). :heartbeat: :hug:
                        Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Originally posted by NoraC View Post
                          Speaking of drinking dreams, I had one the other day. Maybe my brain giving me a warning?
                          Many of you know that I've been caring for my Mom. She has stopped eating/drinking in the last 24 hours. It is time but it still hurts.
                          So, I thought it would be wise to pull up a twig in the nest. :heartbeat:
                          Hello Nesters!

Saw this post and just wanted to say that you have always been so strong and patient with your Mom, Nora. I know it's hard - probably one of the most difficult times of your life. But to look on the positive side - you have had your Mom close to you for the past few years and have been able to enjoy her good moments. Not all of us have the chance to do that. Heartbreaking on the one hand but it is the natural outcome of a long life and I know you have many wonderful memories to look back on. Be strong and safe. Sending you :hug:.S-G.
                          For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
                          AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

Sending you love Nora :heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:
                            Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hi, Nest:
                              [MENTION=9757]NoraC[/MENTION] I'm sending you love and hugs through the ether. You have been such a rock for your mom. When my dad died after a long, long bout of dementia it was at first an amazing relief which then produced guilt. Feel free to DM me if you need to talk. You won't drink because you don't drink - you need to be there for your mom and yourself. xo

NS, that sounds like an anxiety dream about not having control. Do you feel out of control in other aspects of your life?? You couldn't possibly because things are so stable now, right??

Nar - Hope you get a job that you love soon.

So Happy It's Thursday. Looking forward to a long weekend here in the US - we'll see if people can stay away from each other and keep the virus count down...

Pav

Comment

Happy Un Hung Thursday everyone.

Nora, it is so nice you can be there for your mom. Way to go Sober Nora My dad died in 2006 and I was sober most of the time because it took so much strength to go to the hospital everyday and I did not want to be hungover when I went to see him. I am grateful that I slowed down my drinking during that time, of course after he died I was right back at it.
                                Big hugs to you Nora (through the ether like Pav said), I know this is really hard xoxo.

Keep posting DeeDoo.

The weather is nice here and I am enjoying it because it will all go to crap soon enough. I love the 21C days (72F), it will be like that all week and it is much better than -21C which we will get soon enough. Lav, I hope it does't storm too much.

Hello Wags, NS, Byrdie, everyone.

Don't drink today, it's gross. (right Pauly?)
                                Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                                "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Working...
                                X