Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Happy Thanksgiving, Nesters.
    Kensho, your describing the resentment at others who drink more than their allotment really took me back. While I am still the AL Police, at least I’m not trying to keep up with, or claim my fair share of it. I do still pay attention to how much others drink, I wonder if that will ever go away? That obsession with the next drink is something I never thought I’d overcome. Thankfully, that came with time.
    I finished my antibiotic and the ear drops yesterday and feeling better. Thank you all for your encouragement. I’m such a whiny patient (I hate that).
    As I count my blessings, this nest and my sobriety are at the very top of the list. It was a lucky day when I googled ‘How to stop drinking’ and found My Way Out.
    I cooked a full blown meal for the hubs and me. We had smoked pork chops instead of Turkey. I’m still miserably full. It’s the Season! Hope everyone has an awesome day!
    FCC44DFB-F8AB-407F-8AD3-8FDC5AD25753.jpg
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving Nesters,

Dinner & dessert done early & my family has gone home. Still hoping I can catch up with my son sometime this weekend!
      My grandson turns 12 on Saturday. He’s the one who inspired me to quit drinking for good. I didn’t want to miss a minute of his growing up time & thankfully I have not
      I landed in the nest way back then & have stayed here all this time. We need to take the nest out on the roadshow some time when it’s safer out there!!!

Byrdie, I’m so glad you are feeling better!!

Sending great big hellos & hugs to all the nesters & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!!!

Lav
      Last edited by Lavande; November 26, 2020, 05:39 PM.
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

By this time 7 years ago I would have had my "pre-game" drink - I believe it was bourbon that day. Thanks goodness I don't have to go back there! Thank goodness Lav, Byrdie and NoSugar were here when I landed. I am so grateful for you all.

We're zooming with my family this evening - conveniently planned for cooking time so I'll miss some of it. My lonely mom is excited to "seeing" everyone... I AM looking forward to the meal tonight.

xo
        Pav

Comment

Well, my name is Sugar tonight osteroops: but it was delicious. Thanksgiving has been at our house maybe 3 times in 40 years so I don’t really know much about making turkey and all the other traditional stuff. It all turned out very well and we have plenty of leftovers.

I also am so grateful for the Nest, which is to say, all of you :heart:

Comment

Good Morning everyone- Yay to our Superpower!! I love being sober and being able to wake up with out a hangover (I may have said this before) haha.

I am grateful for all of you too and any newcomers that stop by or join in.

It was a lucky day when I googled ‘How to stop drinking’ and found My Way Out.
            This is exactly what I did Byrdie, that was the beginning of the end of my drinking. It took about 8 years after I found MWO to actually quit.

So I did a few online assessments yesterday for Contact Tracer, who knows I may get a call. That would be nice.

Our city declared an emergency yesterday so we are being extra careful here. The numbers are not going down.

Have a great day everyone and Don't drink today.
            Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
            "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Morning Nest. Last day in paradise today. 14 hours in the car tomorrow But home and my OWN bed sounds nice too. I spent a lot of time laying in bed last night, evaluating my life from the outside-in. We watched a movie called Art of Racing in the Rain, and it made me want to evaluate my life. I have had a long time struggle within myself, telling myself that I could be a better mom - a more present mom, a mom who doesn't have a career that she loves. So I laid awake in bed thinking, and asked myself what it would look like if I was the kind of mom I tell myself I should be. Turns out, It is not much different than the mom I am now. I decided to make some dedicated times to check in with the kids - but this thing I was really afraid of - being a bad mom - isn't real. I made a few goals for myself moving forward regarding health, relationships, spirituality... and I feel much better. I can be so hard on myself. It helps to confront those fears straight on sometimes. Especially when forced to be awake due to food-induced neuropathy!

Anyway, sorry for the "deep thoughts". Goals for today are to get outside in the sun, exercise, and plan for my son's birthday. I can't believe he's going to be 15!

Nar, I hope you get some hits on those jobs.

Byrdie, glad you are feeling better! Your spread looks like it was yummy, though I will admit, the day after, I'm still stuffed!

NS, how do you feel after sugar?

PAV, so glad your Thanksgiving massacre has never been repeated. Hope your dinner and Zoom were fun.

I hope everyone has a good day. It's fun to remember that life without hangovers is marvelous.
              Last edited by KENSHO; November 27, 2020, 11:20 AM.
              Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hi, All:

Dinner was ok - not the best but good. I realized I really like a Thanksgiving meal where everyone does something so you get to taste other people's cooking also. At least we get all the leftovers and at least I'm not hungover! Thankful for that!

Kensho, those night musings... I'm glad for your conclusion. I think there is quality time and quantity time. Working moms have to go for the quality. I work a lot of hours and sometimes second guess that, but my kids get to see a hard-working, successful woman as a role model, and that is good IMHO.

I feel like having stuffing for breakfast. Is that ok??? Haha.

Happy SOBER Friday,
                Pav

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Pav, funny you mentioned stuffing for breakfast, I had the same thoughts, haha. I ended up having toast with a smear of homemade almond butter

Kensho, can I just say that being an over thinker is exhausting, been there & done that. Fortunately as you get older you just seem to stop judging yourself & your decisions. When you look at your grown kids & realize they turned out just fine despite having an imperfect mother you just relax!!n wishing you a safe trip home!

Narilly, sounds like you’re moving forward with your job application. Hope something works out.

NS, I’ve had a small slice of apple pie two days in a row now, haha. Feeling happy but a bit piggish.

I did get to see my son today, they came over for a leftovers lunch. Weeks & months go by & I don’t see him even though he only lives 7 miles away. He has a grueling work schedule & lots of things to do when he is home. So I’m grateful for the visit today.

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Nar - fingers crossed for you on the job!

Kensho - your AZ trip sounds like it has been very replenishing for you in many ways, and then being home in your own bed will be wonderful too. I'll have to check out the movie you mentioned. Safe travels home!

Glad to hear that everyone had nice thanksgivings, whether hosting anyone live or through zoom or traveling or just being home alone. We made homemade pizza and got a marionberry pie which was super yummy, and we watched a football game with my dad. It was quiet but very nice. I'm not really much of a pie eater but I do enjoy a slice once or twice per year.

I had two online classes today, then one tomorrow morning, and then the rest of the weekend off. We took a long walk and enjoyed the crisp fall weather, happy for some sunshine even if a bit chilly.

Hellos and waves everyone. Have fantastic AF weekends!
                    Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Morning nesters, sounds like everyone had a nice Thanksgiving I felt hungover yesterday from too much food! Really sluggish, bloated and kinda bluesy, think it was all the carbs and grease, Kenshin, loved your cleansing deep thoughts I only hate the wasted time with my kids, yes I was there in person but my mind and memories are lacking, one if my biggest regrets in life and it makes me feel like a very selfish person, which I never thought I was. Narilly, I hope you land a job soon, there just isn't much out there, especially in places where the industry is basically one or two things, I'm worried about people when this unemployment runs out, they said the food banks were overrun this year and donations were down by 90%! That's huge,too depressing I'll move on yikes! Wishing everyone a happy AF day in the best, do something nice for ourselves today
                      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Excuse the typos, hate spell check hopefully you all get my drift haha
                        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Good Morning,

Good to see you Pauly. Yes, the economic fallout is so scary. Those food lines in Texas where people were in cars for hours - very sad. And donations down.

Marionberry pie sounds good, Wags. I made apple pie with my son and it really came out not good. Oh well, you win some you lose some. I'm not really a baker anyway.

Not much to report. I am feeling VERY lazy. We'll see what the day brings, but so far coffee and a puzzle...

Happy SOBER Saturday.
                          Pav

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Had a quiet day which I needed & really appreciated. Created a turkey pot pie for dinner & now I have more leftovers, haha!!
                            One of my ‘baby chicks’ laid her first egg today at only 4 months old. I guess she was watching the older birds & figured why not?? It was very tiny but perfect

Wags, I hope the rest of your weekend is nice & relaxing! Quiet holidays are perfectly OK.

Pauly, food comas are pretty typical after big holiday meals, haha. Drink lots of water today & you’ll feel better tomorrow.

Pav, enjoy the lazy day, make a whole weekend of it just for fun

Th economic disaster we are seeing could have largely been avoided if we had an adult in charge last March. People losing their homes & suffering food shortages should never be happening here in the US. We’re supposed to be better than that. My daughter told me today that the ICUs at her hospital are filled. People who should be in ICU are being held in the ER, there’s no place to put them. So much hospital staff has been laid off because they are losing money. So who is taking care of the patients? Please take care everyone, this is so sad & scary.

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hola nesters,

Sheesh Lav. The situation sounds worrying. Thinking of you all in the USA.

I feel so fortunate to be sober. It sure gets easier to maintain the more sober time you have. Boozing as a solution will still occassionally pop into my head, but the inclination is so weak and small now that common sense and logic thankfully prevails.

Take it easy. Big waves to evabody.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good Sunday evening Nesters,

Hope everyone is OK & just busy doing holiday things.
                                I can’t even imagine how stressful it would be having to deal with an addiction or two during this stressful time. We are a smart bunch, aren’t we? Focusing on healthy self-care is more important now than ever!

Hello G & thanks for the thoughts
                                Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest.

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                                X