Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Hey all! Sounds as if everyone had a happy Thanksgiving. I did like any good Southerner, I took my leftover stuffing and fried it up into patties. Yummy! The only remaining leftover is sweet potato casserole, and we are working on that.

A neighbor of mine was featured in a magazine with her family recipes. The table setting she had was simply beautiful. I noticed she had a set of serving pieces that match a pitcher I have. So I wrote her a note and asked if she would like to have it. She was thrilled. That put me into my closets again...rearranging and organizing. I need to get rid of stuff, I don’t foresee entertaining like I used to back when I drank. I looked for any excuse and a party was just what I needed to justify a big night of drinking. I hosted wine tastings that I don’t even remember. Oy. Like Mr G so eloquently said, the longer I’m sober, the easier it gets. Heck, if it stayed as hard as it was that first week, nobody could do it! Stay the course, everyone!
    I may make some fruit cakes tomorrow! Mine can actually be eaten and not used as doorstops!
    Hugs to all! Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Weekend was quiet with me too, just did my usual cycling. Bike needs a new chain so ordered it from Halfords. Not much else going on with me. No booze this month thank heaven.

Comment

Well, another sober weekend in the books and here we are starting a new week. Almost starting a new month! Wasn't it just July like 3 weeks ago??? Today was a fabulous day off. A bit of a relaxed (ok lazy) start, then off for a hike in one of our beautiful urban wilderness parks here. We're so lucky to have some amazing natural areas just a short drive or bike ride from our house. We used the hike as our workout, so did a couple of extra repetitions on the steepest longest hill. It was HARD and also felt so good to be able to do.

Byrdie - good on you for offering the pitcher to your friend! That must have felt good on multiple fronts, and it sounds like she really appreciated it. Pix of your fruitcake?

Walk - what do you do in the way of cycling? My wife and I are avid cyclists and it's always fun to meet others who are drawn to two wheels.

Hellos and waves everyone. Keep on checking in even if just to say all is well. Catch you all tomorrow!
        Last edited by wagmor; November 29, 2020, 11:30 PM.
        Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Originally posted by wagmor View Post

Walk - what do you do in the way of cycling? My wife and I are avid cyclists and it's always fun to meet others who are drawn to two wheels.
          I live in south Dublin, near to the Wicklow mountains. So there are plenty of good routes. The downside is, Dublin has become very busy. Too busy for my tastes.
          Last edited by walktothewater; November 30, 2020, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Evening nesters

Sounds like everyone ate too much at thanksgiving, xmas is my big food binge.

Going to mums again this weekend, she turns 84. she gave me a scare last week when she rang, had pain in her arm and shoulder so wanted to know what she should do. oh call an ambulance mum. luckily all good she did something to her shoulder. Its amazing how elderly people dont want to bother the ambulance people. I did have the hospital call later to say they had lost her. she just up and went home. She said they didnt tell her she had to stay to get meds but she is as deaf as a post.

Sounds like you had a nice time away Kensho. Our borders are opening up now as we dont have any covid cases or very few. I think i will go somewhere in my own state over my xmas break. i do want to catch up with my cousin. she applied for a job as an air hostess and at 58 got the job, she is so excited as she has always wanted to be one but was classed as "too short"years ago. so she starts training in January. Glad its her, i would need 2 valium every time i went anywhere. i may get to see her more when she comes to melbourne so that is a positive.

Nar, fingers crossed for your job.

I remember googling "am i an alcoholic" then "where to get help to give up drinking". Grateful everyday for finding here. I still cant believe i have successfully stopped and hate al with a vengeance.

Have to finish painting my nails. going into work tomorrow to try and show the new nurse something. I went in to work today for a meeting which just gave me more work.

take care and be safe. Hopefully when Biden gets in life will change for the better for everyone. xx
            AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Hi, All:

Whoa, that Monday morning alarm is rough after a long weekend. My natural state is to stay up about an hour to an hour and a half after and sleep an hour to an hour and a half later than I do during work. I just slowly get there over the weekend and. Monday now feels like jet lag...

Lav and G - it WOULD be stressful to deal with an addiction right now. I wonder if anyone ever sees this site from a Google search anymore? Walk, how did you find it? I hope people who are struggling do find us - we can help!

Byrdie - what a nice thing to have done. I'll bet she was so grateful. Do you eat fruitcake with cream or ice cream on top? I don't ever bake it or eat it...

Wags, sounds like you live in a beautiful place. I've been to Seattle only once, and Crater Lake and Bend in Oregon, but other than that haven't spent much time in the PNW. It is on my list to explore more when the pandemic is more in control.

Did I mention that I got a stationary bike for the pandemic? I LOVE it, even though it was pretty expensive. (It isn't a Peleton...) However, this is a question to you cyclists - I think I gave myself (doc thinks peroneal) tendonitis?? I have a pain below the outside of my ankle and it wraps under my foot. I have stayed off it for a week and a half and it is getting better, but I'm wondering if you've ever heard of that caused by cycling? That or some pair of shoes I have? Such a bummer as I was truly enjoying the exercise. I'm going to let it heal and then start back at an easier pace and see what happens.

Happy SOBER Monday. We'll make it!

Pav

Comment

Hi everyone, just a quick check in. I will be back!
                Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Hola nesters.

Now looky here.......today's the 1st of December downunder. Does that mean?......is it true that?...........Ava has........7 freakin years sober? Yes it does! Pav is also aaaallllllmmmmooooost 7 years too. Congratulations Ava! Congratulations a day early to you Pav! 2 beautiful raaawkstars paving the way forward for many. xx

Big waves evabody.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

I think it does mean 7 years, Mr. G! Just amazing work by the Pav/AvaTwins! I can’t believe 7 years have passed! You quit at one of the most challenging times of the year, too. I’m so proud of both of you and grateful for your support here in this safe place. Thank you for making MWO a better place! Congratulations! :welldone::welldone:
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Crazy day here of rain, wind & tornado warnings, oh boy. Everything is quiet at the moment but I don’t think it’s over yet. When you get those screaming alerts on your phne telling you to head to the basemnet immediately - you do!!! Geez.

Ava & Pav - early CONGRATS to the both of you on your marvelous 7 year quits :welldone:
                      Byrdie’s right, time flies. Thanks for staying here in the nest helping everyone with your wise words & experience, we need that here.

Pav, you may wantto take a look at this webpage re your ankle: Peroneal Tendon Injuries - Foot Health Facts
                      If there’s any swelling I’d wrap that puppy up in an Ace wrap & ice it as much as you can. Hope you feel better soon.

G, Narilly, Wags & everyone - Hello

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest. I’m holding on tight due to these crazy high winds

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi Nesters

Yikes, Lav, what happens if you don't have a basement?! Seriously, take care & I hope it literally "blows over"!

I think I Googled "can't stop drinking", when searching for help. Landing on MWO was a godsend. It took me a while to remember I'd signed up, when I was still in the haze, but it became my anchor when I became Steadfast (had had other Usernames prior to that!) Incidentally, I also discovered (years after the fact) I set up a Twitter account with no memory of doing so. Thankfully it wasn't in my real name, and I hadn't actually Tweeted anything!!

Am feeling more optimistic about my health now. Cardiologist appointment on December 14th. Til then will just keep taking the meds and doing my best.

ANYWAY, I would like to extend my heartfelt congratulations to Ava and Pav, for their 7 years' sobriety anniversary. You both give so much to others on this site. Best wishes & have a lovely day.

And best wishes to everyone else too,
                        Steady
                        :love:
                        AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Evening nesters

Thanks for the well wishers. Sobriety never gets old for me now. Today i woke up and thought "wow 7 years", how good is my life to what it was over 7 years ago. A dress i ordered for my sober birthday arrived so that made the day complete (and it fit).

I had to go into work to train a nurse that has joined our team and i just told her i was celebrating 7 years sober today. She looked at me as if she was thinking "you dont look like an alcoholic" but she asked me questions and was very impressed. As she said, not many people stay sober and i told her about MWO and how i keep my accountability every day here.

I still have all of my tools at the ready and i always will. I'm seeing my psychologist still and i think the most positive of me being sober now after 7 years is that i dont carry any baggage around with me. I dont hate the world, i dont hold grudges against people and i have learnt forgiveness. I am not embarrassed about being an alcoholic, it was part of my life but i am so very proud it does not define me now. I have shown everyone how strong i am and how i will always be a non drinker now. Life is so good, even the shit days are good days.

Steady, glad you are feeling better. After xmas we will have to organise a catch up. How good will that be. Will be good to see your face and G's also, otherwise G will be 25 years sober before we get to celebrate again.

Watching Addicted Australia and its such a wake up call of where i dont want to be. Those early days are so not easy and i am so grateful to be here.

take care and stay safe xx
                          AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Congratulations on 7 years Ava and Pav!!! Wonderful to be free of drinking for so long and you're both so happy about it too, love you both!
                            I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                            Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi, All:

WHOOT - congratulations, Ava. Although as I am posting I think you are on to Wednesday? So you can celebrate my 7 years there before I get to tomorrow. I am so grateful to be here with you. I love your funny, no-nonsense approach to sobriety, and what a gift to us that you share it with all of us. I wish I was as carefree as you - I still feel shame and embarrassment from "letting myself" get like this, even though I intellectually know that's not how it works. I am getting much better thanks to your mentorship and humor! You RAWK.

Lav, take care out there. I didn't know you lived in tornado country. How scary that must be.

Glad you're feeling more optimistic, Steady. It will be a relief to finally see a doc and get more situated with what is going on.

I will give my 7 year speech tomorrow - my actual sobriety date because I had to drink a couple of beers on 12/1 because my hangover was so bad... Ugh and thank goodness I don't ever have to go back there.

xo
                              Pav

Comment

Happy Un Hung Tuesday everyone!
                                Congratulations Ava!!!! Oh yeah baby!! You have done so well Ava, I am so proud of you girlie. I will congratulate you tomorrow Pav. I was going to be a triplet but then I drank that year at Christmas. Oh well, I will settle just to be a sister, better late than never.

Lav, it sounds so scary down there and it seems like we are catching up which really sucks.
                                Tornadoes Lav? Hope you stay safe.
                                Hello Byrdie, that is cool about your neighbour, you are so thoughtful.

I have the third interview tomorrow for the contact tracing job. Hopefully that will go well. After that it is a DNA test, rubber glove test...just kidding, haha.

Have a good one everybody. Wags, now I am craving pie. Marionberry? mmmm

Hello Steady, I think I googled the same thing. It is nice to see you here.

G, you are still raaawkin!

Have a good one everybody and don't drink, its gross. Right Pauly?
                                Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                                "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Working...
                                X