Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Well, 1 day late congratulations to Ava and 1 day early for Pav! You two were so fortunate to have one another to not let down - and that has been going on for an amazing 7 years! Thanks for staying around MWO, helping others while you make sure you don't forget where you were or ever want to be again. I'm so glad to have met you and to continue to be part of one another's lives :heart:

Isn't it interesting, [MENTION=1354]narilly[/MENTION] how at the time, being 4.5 months "behind" Pav and Ava seemed like a big deal but from today's perspective, we all quit during the first half of the twenty-teens. And thank goodness we did! I can't imagine how 2020 would have played out if still controlled by an addiction. The 'need' to acquire wine and feel like I had enough on hand would have been all-consuming. How would I have kept my Big Secret if I couldn't shop and dispose of empties regularly and on the sly??? I still only go to the store every few weeks so I know there is no way I could have fed my habit.

Life is slowing down now that Thanksgiving family has returned home. We'll be alone on Xmas, which will be weird, but with family to have a F-U 2020 celebration at the new year.

It sounds like everyone is doing ok with the normal ups and downs of a sober life. xx, NS

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Much better today, just windy & colder more seasonal air. A tornado did touch down 2 counties away from here. It was an F-0 but did plenty of damage. The whole east coast was at risk yesterday, glad that’s over.
      Good to see so many checking in today. Steady, so good to hear about your health! I have been thinking about you!
      Ava, I know you are proud of your accomplishment & you certainly should be. It’s true that we we quit we resolves lots of other issues in our lives. That was an unexpected gift but we will accept it, right?
      Pav, time to give yourself a break. We all have a thing or 10 in our past that we wished never happened but we can’t change history. We just make sure that sh*t never happens again
      Hello to narilly, Pauly, NS & everyone else here today.

Trying to get some online shopping done for the grandkids & others. I am used to having a group here for dinner & gifts Christmas eve but I doubt that will happen this year. So for now my plan is no plans!
      Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Ava and Pav, congrats again, we are so incredibly proud of you! Rare air! :dancin:
        Last edited by Byrdlady; December 1, 2020, 06:37 PM.
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Right. Sea swimming tomorrow.

Comment

Popping in to congratulate AVA on 7 years!!! I love your shamelessness and pride. You're a great example of wanting better and going and getting it! And cigarettes too! Do some dancing in that dress!!

Gosh, between FU's and F-0's, we have to fix some stuff in 2021. Luckily, I already got sober.

I reached out to a local hospital today and learned that the moral is at an all time low. They haven't received much community support like they did in March, and many workers are weary and tired. I'm going to put together some snack baskets with messages on them - and maybe make a banner. She said it's been a long time since they've seen one. I have some reservations for how our hospitals charge, and often turn to more holistic medicine practices, but our ER and ICU workers are so important and they are worn out. The lady cried on the phone with me. SO, time for me, living in my not terrible reality, to gather some community love to send to those in quite different realities. We need to prop these people up! They are working SO hard!

LAV, I meant to tell you that I really appreciated your comments about parenting. Your approach to just about everything is simple no BS and about being kinder to ourselves. Thanks, I needed that. Yes, I suppose it will all work out. As long as we love our children and do our relative best most days, they should be able to springboard off that foundation. At least I stopped drinking, and hiding booze in the closet, and withdrawing each night, and hiding my breath, and falling asleep in their beds while reading to them. That was a step in a good direction.

Stopping drinking is HARD. But it can be done, one day at a time, one minute at a time. If you are struggling, keep trying. It will click, and you will never regret your decision to leave alcohol behind you!
            Last edited by KENSHO; December 1, 2020, 10:52 PM.
            Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Ava and Pav - HUGE congrats to you both on seven fantastic years AF!!! That's seven additional years you each brought back into your respective lives, which is no small feat.

Pav - you can definitely get that type of tendinitis from cycling. It probably has something to do with your shoes, or your foot placement on the pedal(s), or possibly whether your seat is in the correct place relative to your pedals (affects the angle of your leg and thus into your ankle). Ice and foam rolling should help relieve the current flare up, but if you just go back to pedaling the same it will likely return pretty quickly. Adjusting your foot position on the pedals and moving your feet periodically as you ride can help prevent some of that, since it changes the stress/makes it less repetitive, and repetitive stress is essentially what tendinitis is. Worst case scenario, a physical therapist who knows how to do proper bike fittings should be able to help you out a lot, but you may have some success checking out youtube videos or blog posts as well.

Kensho - our neighbor is an ER nurse and she was just telling us the same thing about the workers feeling worn out and receiving nowhere near the same levels of appreciation. For any of you nesters outside the U.S. where you're still dealing with covid surges, how are your healthcare workers doing? Is this primarily a U.S. problem at this point or is it similar elsewhere in the world. It makes me sad and ashamed that so many people in our country are being so whiny and selfish. Kensho your idea of a banner and little notes or similar is excellent - maybe we'll put together something similar here. Sometimes small gestures like that feel almost worthless when a problem is so huge, but for the people who are touched by such kindness/appreciation, it can be really meaningful. Thanks for that reminder!

Hellos and waves to Lav, Nar, Pauly, Steady, G, NS and everyone else stopping by the nest these early Dec days. May the last month of the year be the best one for all of us!
              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Yo nesters!

Congrat's again to the Pava! or Pavalovea as i think of you 2.

Super Kensho, great gesture and sounds like it will be really appreciated.

Hi Walk. Sea swimming is the ticket my friend, to freedom and good mental health.

Hi Wags. Ava would probably have a better idea re our hospital workers conditions and workloads this year. Things have eased considerably here in Victoria in the south east of Oz with zero covid cases in the last month, down from a few hundred per day a couple of months ago. However i know our hospital workers did it tough with long hours in full protective equipment, getting hot and face marks/bruises from mask straps etc. Nurses posted vlogs with a couple of documentaries filmed behind the scenes at hospitals. People not being able to visit dying loved ones because of covid restrictions......It's been a heavy time for many people.

I wish everyone safe passage during this international crisis. It will pass, but sooner rather than later please umpire.

Big waves to all. Take it easy.
                Last edited by Guitarista; December 2, 2020, 07:24 AM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Originally posted by walktothewater View Post
                  Right. Sea swimming tomorrow.
                  Nah, slept it out again. I really want to do this before next Tuesday.

Comment

Morning! Checking in at almost 3 years. Holy cow... I first logged in in 2016! Is anyone optimizing this site?

Best to everyone.
                    Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hi, All:

I have a seven year speech all queued up. Ahem...

Just kidding. It is with humble gratitude that I accept the congratulations. I really lucked out to find this site 7 years ago, and to be welcomed, supported, encouraged, cajoled, and loved here, warts and all. Thank you all so much for all you do for me and everyone who stumbles upon us. Big thanks to my nest moms, NS, Lav, and Byrdie, and my quit twin Ava, the LOAMERS, the Army, the Steppers, the Super Shouter Outers, the Nest and ALL OF YOU!

Wags, that is the info I needed from a cyclist. I am limited to my adjustments on the stationary bike, but certainly put my feet in different place because of the pedal straps. I am so grateful for your advice!

Happy SOBER Hump Day All. And thanks for everything.

Pav

Comment

Hi Nesters!
                        I've been stalking here for the past couple of weeks, but wanted to wait to sign on/check in until I have 30 days.. I've had to (again) pull myself together and this time, prove to MYSELF that I really want this.
                        BUT, I want to congratulate Ava and Pav on 7 AF years!!! I'm so happy for you..:love:
                        Love and hugs to all of you wonderful people! xxx

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Still chilly, just like winter is supposed to be
                          Sourdough bread is rising, will bake tomorrow, yum.

LC, goodness it’s great to see you again. Glad you’re getting back in gear, the nest wasn’t the same without you. Wishing you the very best & hope to see you checking in regularly.

Kensho, it’s so nice when the community does something special for the frontline workers. They are definitely tired & working shorthanded, at least here on the east coast where the covid numbers are rising at crazy rates. Anything you offer will be greatly appreciated.

Pav, hope that foot/ankle pain is easing.
                          Congrats again on your 7 AF years

Hello to G, Wags, Byrdie & everyone.
                          Wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hola nesters near and not so far,

U.K. have approved a vaccine and begin innok.....inockulatin......i say vaccinating the public on monday! Looks like relief is on the way at last!

LC you absolute legend! Great to see u here. Can't wait for ur 30 days. Hurry up already will ya?!

Walk, do it! Sometimes i have to tell my mind to shut it and sit down over there while i, the responsible adult takes over! lol.

Friend SuperspecialK Kensho! Jumpin' jehosophats! 3 years closing in? Wowza! Look forward to celebrating wit u.

Take it easy out there. x

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

PAV!!! WAY TO GO on 7 years!!! I like logging in and hearing your voice. You have a rational tone, a kind heart, and I respect you and the work you have done for your sobriety. You have talked me out of more than one touchy situation and your perspective is always appreciated! Way to claim your sobriety - be proud of the you you decided to be.

Busy day here, but wanted to high five PAV.

Hi LC! Great to see you! Go for what you want... you will never, ever, ever have a different outcome when you drink. It just takes getting through the readjustment period... you can do this!
                              Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Pav, way to go on 7 years!!! Yahoooo!!!! You raawk I am so glad you do not drink, way to go Pav!

Hello LC, so glad to see you. It is not perfection, its persistance, you've got this!

Talk later everyone.
                                Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                                "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Working...
                                X