Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Hi, All--

Wags, be careful of those favorite bakers! Anyone can have a bad week! :happy2:

Byrdie - that's an amazing story. Good for you for reaching out to the younger generation. I admire the courage that must have taken - they'll be so glad they said yes to letting you into their lives!

Lav, that sounds so easy... One way I relax is to watch cookie decorating videos. I know that is weird, although apparently not too weird because a lot of people must do it - there are thousands upon thousands of them on Instagram. I don't have that attention to detail.. We used that pre-packaged runny stuff to outline and fill. It was fine, although your icing probably tastes better...

Happy FRIDAY! Not much planned but staying away from the virus and maybe some baking...

Pav

Comment

[MENTION=20476]KENSHO[/MENTION] - Congratulations on 3 years!! That is awesome. :yay:
      "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

I apologize for disappearing time and again. Sometimes it just seems overwhelming to try to read and keep up and comment. I'm sorry. Actually, I'm having that problem in my daily life too. So, it's not just here. LOL I think it's just a combination of everything going on in life right now. Weeks seem like months with this pandemic. Anyway, I just wanted to explain.

I can't believe I missed the twins anniversary! Congratulations [MENTION=20191]Pavati[/MENTION] & [MENTION=16186]available[/MENTION] on 7 years!!! :yay:

All the cookie making/decorating sounds fun. We did a gingerbread house yesterday with my 2 year old granddaughter. Fun times. Of course, my son made the finishing touch of the gingerbread man with his arms & legs broken off lying in a pool of blood. That's my boy. :egad:
        AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Nora that gingerbread man in a pool of blood is exactly what my grandsons would do too They are so typical
          Stay connected here at least thru the holidays, we love seeing you.

OK Pav, now you’ll have me looking for those videos, haha!!!! Keep yourselves safe.
          I did like the flavor of the icing I made, it would also be good with a touch of lemon extract I think.

Hi to Wags & Byrdie, hope you are both doing well.

Had to drive to Delaware to pick up a sewing machine we bought our daughter for Christmas. Since we were about halfway to her house we just went & delivered it early. We also made the rounds to two cemeteries to leave something for the relatives no longer with us. All that took up a major portion of the day.
          Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Quick sober fly-by for me tonight. Hope you are all doing well and I'll catch up with everyone over the weekend.
            Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi, All--
              [MENTION=9757]NoraC[/MENTION] don't feel bad. Everyone does what they can. I know you're not off drinking, you don't drink! But it is nice to see you. Hope all is well. I never once made a gingerbread house with my kids - I guess there will still be time if I have grandkids (In the DISTANT future...).

Lav, that sounds like a full and satisfying day. From where I am in CA it is about a 3 hour drive to even get to another state so popping down to Delaware sounds exotic. Glad you had a nice one.

I'm off to work on this rainy Saturday. Yes! I said RAINY! It is so nice to get a bit of wet relief. It is just a bit, but every bit helps.

Happy SOBER Saturday,
              Pav
              Last edited by Pavati; December 12, 2020, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Busy day just doing little things, no complaints

Pav, I live in the extreme corner of PA & can walk 1/4 mile to Maryland or drive a few miles into Delaware. The gas station I use is in Maryland because it’s miles closer to my house than any in PA, weird.
                Great to hear you got some rain, praise the universe!!

Wags, it’s a busy time of year for all of us, for sure. Hope you are well.

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hola nesters,

Wowza friend Kensho! Super K does it again - 3 years booze free! Congratulations mi amiga. I'm gonna dive into the big green unknown of the bay now in honour of this achievement.

Hi Nora. Always good to see u.

Nar, did u get a job?!

Take care of yourself over the working weekend Pav.

Ava, how's ur car?

Big hello's and waves to evabody.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Morning nesters

G, the car is going great now. I have already been to Bunnings to buy a plant for my dog groomer and one for me of course. Hope you are doing well and not working too hard.

Nar when do you start your new job? Happy birthday to your mum also.

Lav, you need to post a pic of those iced biscuits. I am sure they are wonderful. What do you think about the vaccine for covid?

Pav, my iron level 2 years ago was 18 now its 5. i did start the iron tablets today and am eating lots of fish. will go and raid the kale in the garden today and make a quiche. Looking forward to holidays.

My son moved out yesterday, in with his drinking buddy. Happy he has moved out but would have preferred he move in with a psychopath than this friend of his. Not much i can do but be there to pick up the pieces or he may suprise me and moderate his drinking but from personal experience that so does not happen.

My daughter is going with her best friend to New Zealand this week. Her besties ex is being given a maori farewell and she is going for support. sad that she wont be with us for xmas but it is what it is and i admire her for being there. they have to quarantine for 2 weeks which is about as long as it will take for the body to get to NZ. Mum is now saying that its not right as she may not be here next xmas and i told her that i might not be here and it is what it is and to appreciate who we have around us for xmas. i'm just hoping for a drama free xmas.

take care and be safe xx
                    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Ava, good one, a drama free Christmas? Half my family is fighting and we haven’t seen each other in a year! Oy. Good luck with everyone! You are precious, heck, I want to spend Christmas with you!
                      Not much going on here, I used my new 3D Christmas tree pan. Pleased with its ease of use!
                      You aren’t missing anything here, which is ok by me. Hugs to all, Byrdie
                      402B273A-A612-4E1A-A675-A54ABEEEF936.jpg
                      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Ava - sorry to hear about your son moving in with his drinking buddy. That is rough. Whew we went thru some really rough times during the years with my son. Thank goodness he got turned around. Anyway, the point is that I'm sending you support because I know it is hard on you. :hug:

Does anyone follow Belle - Tired of Thinking about Drinking?
                        I really liked her message today. Reminded me how nice it is to wake up without a hangover or full of regret & despair.
                        Waking up feeling great? It’s something that you don’t get tired of when you’re sober. Do you know how many times you woke up trying to remember what you did the night before? Or feeling sick, hungover, exhausted—but mostly feeling disappointed and discouraged and hopeless. When you move away from day 1, that stops. When you move away from day 1, you feel better. There is a sort of a standard trope in the sober world that says: "You never wake up wishing that you’d drank the night before," but it’s true. There are some evenings where your brain will torment you about the idea of drinking. But there is never a morning when you wake up and think: "Wow, I really should have drank last night."
                        I wake up. I’m sober. And I’m a Rock Star. I’m a Sober Rock Star.
                        Nothing much happening here today. We got our tree yesterday. I got lights on the Christmas tree today so I'm moving in the right direction. Might actually decorate it if hubby's sciatica will ease up to pull down decorations.
                        Last edited by NoraC; December 13, 2020, 09:51 PM.
                        AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Sunday evening greetings Nesters,

Not much going on here either & that’s just as well. Haven’t slept much the past few nights & I don’t know why. So a lazy day or two works for me.

Ava, with adult kids you get adult problems, been there & done it too. The one thing that kept me from losing my mind was remembering we had done everything possible to teach them what was right when they were young. Sometimes you have to sit back & let them make their own mistakes & like you said be there when you’re needed. He just may surprise you, you never know. Wishing you a peaceful Christmas regardless

Nora, I have not read that blog & frankly reading that quote made me feel a bit agitated, haha!!

Still working on finishing up shopping, trying to do a little decorating & baking but don’t really have my heart in it yet, I’ll get there.
                          Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Originally posted by Lavande View Post

Nora, I have not read that blog & frankly reading that quote made me feel a bit agitated, haha!!

Lav
                            Well, that's because I forgot to edit the cussing out. That part wasn't supposed to post. :egad:osteroops: Sorry about that. I fixed it now. :happy2:
                            Last edited by NoraC; December 13, 2020, 09:55 PM.
                            AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Nora - great to see you, and please don't worry about replying to everyone. I think most of us go through periods where just flying by or quietly hanging out in the nest are the best we can do. Or at least I know that's true for me. I used to read Belle's blog but somehow I totally forgot about it. I might just go back and check it out again!

Ava - I hope your daughter's travels with her friend go smoothly. What a supportive friend she is! Hopefully all will work out fine for your son too, even if it includes some stumbles or lessons along the way.

Byrdie - love the 3D cake! How does such a mold work? is it two halves you put together at the end, or does it bake like that as a full tree?

Pav - hooray for rain in CA. I hope you all get enough to make at least a bit of a difference re the fire danger.

Hellos and waves to Lav, G, Kensho and everyone else stopping by the nest this weekend. Happy new weeks to you all!
                              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi, All:

Well, that's the truth, Nora. In my book the characters woke up with hangovers last night and I was almost physically feeling their pain. THANK GOODNESS I don't have to feel like that again. Now getting older, waking up isn't quite as easy as it used to be...

Nar - How was the interview? Did you start the other job? Hope all is well.

Ava - these adult children. Honestly. Almost more of a worry than when they were young - at least you knew what was going on back then. I hope your son is ok. It is a good thing he has you for support and as an example.

We went out and got our tree yesterday in the middle of a downpour - like the most it has rained in months. So it is sitting here drying out and I'll decorate it tonight. It is very small which suits me, and maybe we don't have to use ALL of the ornaments we've collected over the years. Thank goodness for rain, but good winter rains without rain next summer/fall means just more fuel for fires. We'll see next year.

Happy SOBER Monday.
                                Pav

Comment

Working...
                                X