Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Raining like crazy just as predicted. Son & his family have just gone home, stuffed full & with gifts in hand Looks like a quiet Christmas day for us & that’s just fine with me.

Ava, I hope your trip to & visit with your Mum goes well.
    Here’s a little info on pierogie for you: Pierogi - Wikipedia
    I made two different fillings, yum.

Narilly, Pav & Wags, hello to you! Hello to the rest of the group as well.
    Planning to put my tired feet up for a while & do NOTHING for a change, haha!

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Pierogie is a small town in the Andes mountains near the borders of Chile and Ecuador.

Merry christmas Ava and evabody from downunder! Off for lunch with mum and some family. A few of us scattered about, but we can facetime etc. Take it easy out there and go easy on yourself if you are struggling in any way. Treat yourself with kindness. xx

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Thinking of you all. So happy nand proud of you all . Riding your highest horse of sobriety thru the many struggles you have faced.
        Merry Christmas.
        All the amaryllis forced to grow for each of you and all the orchids flowering in memory of my son.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by SHADES_of_IDAHO; December 24, 2020, 08:26 PM.
        "Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never -- in nothing, great or small, large or petty -- never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. " by Winston Churchill .

Comment

Merry Christmas, Nesters!

Wishing everyone peace and health and the calmness we all need to continue to deal with everything going on in the world..:love:

I'm finding that having a smaller Christmas/holiday time is allowing me to feel even more grateful than I normally do (when bustling around finishing up this and that) for just being able to provide a nice meal for the family, a couple of presents, a warm home, a healthy body and mind. I feel more connected than ever (if at a distance) with those suffering, whether from sickness or not having a warm place to live and nutritious food. It's been a joy to prepare this morning with out the pain of a hangover!!!! Gosh, those so weren't the days (as we all like to remind ourselves of!).

Kids just arriving so I'll have to cut this short. You're all in my thoughts and in my heart.. much love sent from afar!xxxx
          Last edited by lifechange; December 25, 2020, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Hi, All:

Merry Christmas to those who celebrate. As usual, I am up before anyone else and enjoying my coffee and the lights on the tree.

Glad to see you content, LC. Have fun with your girls. I also am a fan of the slowed down holiday season. It feels so much more reasonable to chill out during the darkness.

We have a rainy day to look forward to - maybe our breakfast outside with my mom is off! Another movie, another puzzle, another game of chess (we've been playing here, too, Wags. My oldest son kicks all of our butts because he did what you are saying - learned more about theory and strategy instead of just moving the pieces around...)

Happy SOBER Days,
            Pav

Comment

Merry Xmas Nesters! I hope you all have (or had) safe, warm and love-filled holidays no matter where you are or who you are/aren't with at this time. Definitely a day to be extra-grateful for simple things we might sometimes take for granted.

I actually have one tutoring session today (I know! I made an exception though) and then we'll do a zoom visit with family, then it's homemade fish chowder and pie time here in our household. Probably a movie (at home) too. We aren't doing gifts this year. It's supposed to start raining later this morning, but hopefully we'll get a nice long walk in before it hits too hard.

Happiest of days and nights to you all!
              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Merry Christmas, Nesters!
                We had quite a storm last night, tornado warnings and all. We had a 60 mph gust that got everyone’s attention. All gone today, just cold!

I was looking through my medicine drawer yesterday and came across a med I had to google. Metronidazole. It was from 1996 I remember this antibiotic distinctly because this is the one you aren’t supposed to drink with. Back then, I periodically had painful fistulas and had to take this drug along with Cipro. I wondered why it was thatI had some of these left. Yes, I stopped taking them so I could drink. Looking back, that’s pretty pathetic. Letting my health slip so I could drink. Never underestimate the power of addiction. I would go on to drink for another 15 years. Sad to think that I knew I had a problem all those years ago but didn’t do anything about it.

We ate ourselves silly for lunch, it was delicious. We are grateful for the slower pace, frankly. It’s nice to dial it back some. In years past, we went to one neighbors for brunch and another one for dinner. It was a brutal day of eating. I’m glad that we are trying to keep each other safe this year and refraining. My waist seems to be competing with my butt to see who can grow the most. My waist is winning.
                So happy for another sober Christmas. Wishing you all the very best! Merry Christmas!
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Merry Christmas Nesters,

Quiet day here which was perfect.
                  Had some leftovers overs for lunch then made a ham & bean soup in the IP for dinner, easy & delicious.
                  We also had 2” of rain last night & some pretty wild winds. Kept our power on though, no harm done here.

Glad to see so many checking in & please keep the gratitude going. It helps all of us whether we realize it or not
                  Wishing everyone a peaceful & safe night in the nest!

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

morning nesters

Happy boxing day. I survived christmas and the drive there and back. No idiots on the road which was good.

Had a lovely day, sun was shining, not too hot and not too cold. The only downer for the day was my drunk daughter who is going to get shreds ripped off her today. looks like i have two children in the family who are prone to enjoying al too much constantly. she put other people in danger and that is not on. Looking forward to her defensive comments and jusitifcations. her normal comment is "well you drank forever", my reply is always "i dont want your story to end up like mine".

To top it off i have an abscess on my back molar and feel like death warmed up. going to drs at lunch time. my biggest phobia is the dentist.

Mum had a lovely time, still deaf as a post and i bet exhausted today. it was lovely to have the 4 kids around me. i will try and download a pic in our xmas outfits.

I hope everyone has/had a happy day.

Lav, the doobies look delicious, with some nice custard or cream, yummo

Shades the orchids are just beautiful.

G, i hope your day with the fam bam was enjoyable.

stay safe everyone. xx
                    Last edited by available; December 25, 2020, 06:13 PM.
                    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Merry Christmas ⛄ 🎄🎄

Happy Boxing Day too since I'm posting so late. 🙂
                      Last edited by NoraC; December 25, 2020, 09:22 PM.
                      "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Hi, Everyone:

We had a great day yesterday. The rain let up enough for a quick breakfast outside with my mom and sisters and various parts of families. It was nice to celebrate and laugh for a bit. Then we went to the coast for a walk on the beach with pouring rain - the beach and the rain are two of my favorites, though I usually enjoy them separately!

Lav, I love the call for gratefulness. I am grateful we got that time to see my family, however cold and however brief. I am grateful to be able to play games and watch movies with my little family, and I am grateful to be the first one up and get some alone time with my cup of coffee!

Ava, sorry about your daughter. That is so stressful! I'm glad everyone is ok. Wags, homemade fish chowder sounds delicious. Pierogi - yum. I love all types of savory dumplings.

Happy Boxing Day, Everyone,
                        Pav

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

We don’t do boxing day here in the US but happy day anyway
                          Nothing going on today so we just took a short ride to look around a bit. All that rain we had has rivers & reservoirs overflowing with brown muddy water, geez. I guess the fish are perturbed, haha.

Ava, sorry your daughter drank too much. Maybe she’s overindulging re stress? I know that’s how I got started, too much life stress. Hopefully you can get her to see that & amend her decision making. I wish someone had kicked my a$$ when I started daily drinking at 45
                          Glad you got to see your Mum!

Nora, hello to you!

Pav, my mother’s family used to put anything in a pierogie, even prunes, haha! I’ve never done that & so far have never put meat in them but lots of people do.
                          Glad you got to see your Mom too!

Hello to all & wishing a safe night in the nest for everyone!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Evening nesters

Looks like a nice xmas was had by all.

Lav, i dont do boxing day sales, they started before xmas day. I think i have spent enough money and nothing of real interest that i would call a bargain.

Pav, glad you got to see your family, i think this year we appreciate them more.

I did go and buy a lemon tree and apple tree today so that was my day. Felt more human than yesterday, nearly took myself to the hospital but just could not be bothered.

Nothing else to report except the weather is crappy, windy and humid and rainy and was 33 today.

take care and be safe xx
                            AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Pav - your xmas day sounds lovely, and I'm glad to hear CA got some desperately needed rain! The spanish course my friend and I are taking is through Spring Languages. They give you a placement test at the beginning to sort people into one of 3 levels, and then new materials are sent out every Monday. We both tested into level 3 (intermediate) and we will receive our first materials tomorrow. There is a 30-day guarantee of money back if not satisfied, so we figured why not go for it. I'll let you know what I think after a couple of weeks.

Ava - sorry to hear about your daughter (both of your children and drinking actually). Sometimes people have to learn things for themselves, and this is an unfortunate thing to have to learn about. And your tooth sounds like the last thing you need right now -- hope you're feeling better soon!

Byrdie - looking back at the meds you stopped so that you could drink again, doesn't that show you just how far you've come in the past almost-10 years!

Well, I had one class on christmas day and one class yesterday but today I have completely OFF so we are going to get outside and do something fun. Too cold to bike ride but we'll probably at least take a long walk or a hike. Take care of yourselves nesters. The world needs all of you/us!
                              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Happy Un Hung Sunday everyone.

Christmas was good. Our little cohort of 3 which is me and my kids had my MIL and mom over for the one visit approved by the Premier of our province. We had Chinese food and it was delicious. My MIL uses a walker now and lives in a seniors apartment and has some bad days health wise (both mental and physical)

I guess the mall was packed yesterday on Boxing Day, wtf! Some people just don't get it. My Butcher's sister is in Intensive Care and he said she is not doing well, she has Covid and Pneumonia plus some comorbidities.

Anyway...a lemon tree? That sounds wonderful! There is not way a lemon tree would grow here. Right now it is -9C (15F) and a lemon tree would not like that.

It snowed again yesterday, we have tons of snow here making driving and walking a challenge. I am going for a walk this morning because I have to get moving because as Byrdie put it so eloquently
                                My waist seems to be competing with my butt to see who can grow the most. My waist is winning.
                                Haha!
                                Speaking of Perogies, we had some the other day which were delivered by my daughter's friend. They had meat in them and they were delicious. For some reason this Christmas we have been eating Perogies and have a bunch in the freezer that we will be eating this week.
                                I just found this article in the National Post:

Shelf Life: Perogies, no matter how you spell them, taste like Canada
                                Some food historians argue that perogies constitute a True North national dish — or as one chef observes, “Canadian crack”

Have a great day everyone, one day at a time, right? Just don't drink today.
                                Last edited by narilly; December 27, 2020, 11:39 AM.
                                Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                                "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Working...
                                X