Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

hi Nesters!

Alot I'd love to respond to, but it will have to wait till Monday.. I'm preparing for and stressing about a fermentation workshop I have to give tomorrow for work. I've done it before and we have everything set up and ready to go, but having to speak in front of people scares me to death. My co-worker and I have decided this is our last! It's supposed to 95° tomorrow and the workshop will be held outside.. taking my sun hat and lots of sunblock!

Wanted to check in for accountability though. Everything going according to plan! :happy2: Today I had waaaay more energy at work and the gym!

Thank you all for letting me come back to my twig! I'm velcro-ing my butt on it.. who used to always say that? Byrdie?

Hugs to you all and have a great weekend! I'll check in briefly each day as part of my plan..
    xxxx

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Things will be heating up around here for the weekend, getting way too humid as well, yuck.
      Got lots of running around chores done today including getting a haircut (frizz prevention), bringing home 250 pounds of chicken feed, haha! I’ll have to find some frozen snacks for them to stay cool the next two days.

LC, you’re doing great staying on plan, yay!
      Speaking in front of others is not always easy but if it’s a smallish group & not an auditorium full of people I can manage. Take your notes, cheat sheets whatever you’ve got & try to enjoy it as much as possible.

Slo, wonderful that you got to spend time with your daughter & grandkids. Mine helped me out thru some hard times too :hug:

Wags, I hope you guys enjoy your bike ride & some fresh air this weekend, awesome!

Kensho, it’s great to hear your kids are so happy with the newer & better you. Everyone wins when we rid ourselves of this addiction

Pav, hope your weekend is relaxing!

Hello to everyone else & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

HELLOOOOOOO!!!

I think I hear an echo in this empty nest. Hope everyone is doing well & just enjoying the weather

Have a safe night in the nest one & all!
        Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hiya Lav.

It's winter here, however the sun is shinin'! Have a bewdy evabody.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Happy weekend. The summer weather was amazing tonight!! We dipped in the river and walked the Main Street. Ate Mexican where I got a virgin mango drink. Beautiful sunset and we took turns playing songs on the way home. It was amazing to be around other humans and even swapping phones to take pictures of each other. I missed people connection!

No need for alcohol to completely enjoy the night. I didn’t realize how enjoyable small moments are when I was drinking. Glad I have that dialed in now!
            Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

I hope your talk presentation went well for you, LC. I get incredibly nervous about public speaking. Good for you for honing those skills, and I hope the casual outdoor setting helped to keep you calm. Exhausting in 95 degree heat though!

I was standing outside in 114 degree heat last weekend in Vegas for 15 minutes during a car rental transaction -and was that hot!! To think [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] is living in that every day! We lucked out in Zion, as the 100 degree heat forecasted for the weekend shifted to the next week, and it was only in the 90s for us. I will forever treasure the beauty of being in Zion with my family. Such a treat! Like Kensho is expressing above, being with people in the beauty of Summer and nature was enough, and I didn’t need alcohol. All the delicious catered desserts helped too, to keep me out of deprivation mode.

Winter has its beauties too, G-man.

I got my strawberries at the farmers market! Have made an angel food cake to go with the berries today, and also a lasagna for Father’s Day.

Hope everyone has a relaxing weekend all around!
              Last edited by Slo; June 20, 2021, 06:28 AM.
              Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

I'm so glad you're back, LC. I love logging in and seeing a post from you.

One more week of vacation then I can go home and RELAX :haha:

G and Ava, I've been watching Halifax Retribution - I love seeing the aerial shots of Melbourne (what a gorgeous and larger than I realized city!) and listening to people who talk like you (one of my favorite styles of speech). For anyone in the US, it is on PBS Passport and is a compelling crime drama if you like that sort of show.

You all are making me want a massage. That and pedicures are my favorite indulgences. I've had a gift certificate for one for over a year. Maybe I'll cash that in soon after I get home!

Comment

Do it SB!

Unlike me who allowed a balloon ride gift expire a few years ago amid my self inflicted careless chaos!

I haven't watched that series. I threw my TV out a few years ago. lol.

Have a magnificent week nester's.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Happy Father’s Day greetings Nesters,

Hope everyone had a nice day, celebrating or not haha!
                    The heat & humidity have driven me into my workshop so I’m getting lots of things done.

G, after a week or so of this weather I am ready for winter. Happy solstice!!

Kensho, sure sounds like you are enjoying your trip

Slo, I hope you are enjoying your weekend too!

NS, getting tired of vacation? LOL. I would too if I was catering to a large group. I have PBS Passport, I will look for that show, thanks!

Hello to all & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Kensho - Are you still on your trip? Which river did you take a dip in? Sounds like a wonderful time.

LC - Hope your weekend workshop went well, and glad to hear you're sticking with your plan!

NS - That show sounds interesting - I'll definitely have to check it out. I don't watch much TV but occasionally like a good series that lets me "travel" to another part of the world.

Lav - Heat and humidity is a difficult combo. That's great you're getting stuff done indoors though.

Sounds like a lot of us in the N hemisphere are dealing with heat right now. We're supposed to break 100F tomorrow (38+ for everyone outside the US), which is crazy hot for this part of the country. Very few people have AC so we all just have to hide in the shade and drink lots of water. Grateful to be a non-drinker.

Happy new weeks everyone, and happy Summer or Winter Solstice depending on where you are.
                      Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi Nest! We got home last Tuesday. We hit a small mountain river near us, near a great town. It felt like a vacation evening....

Wags, our favorite shows that lets us vicariously travel the world are Gordon Ramsay's Uncharted (learns cuisine and culture of other places), Expedition Unknown (unsolved mysteries and treasure hunting around the world), and Stanley Tucci's Searcing for Italy. These shows have helped me so much through Covid!

NS, can you get a massage on vacation?

Slo, hope you enjoyed your strawberry shortcake!

We leave in two weeks for a 10 day road trip in our pop-up camper (an annual event). I'm SORT OF looking forward to it, but the work that has to be done before we go is ridiculous. We fit in the CA trip on short notice, knowing that this one was coming, and it's going to be a bit much. But I can only do what I can do.

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not drinking. My husband has ramped up lately, and has quite a tolerance - which bothers me. He doesn't usually become angry or abusive when drinking, but he is "away", and he's fooling himself about his desire to be "away". I just want to be present and here and not be altered. Hopefully he considered his personal work again and reverses to his previous level of about 5-6 drinks a week. I don't want to be around him when he binges and then tries to normalize it.

UG.
                        Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hi, All:

That summer swim in a river sounds divine. I love hearing about the summer get togethers. I read about the new variant that might screw this recovery up for us, so I'm cautiously optimistic about the freedom I am feeling!

I'm leaving for an out of town wedding on Thursday - should be a big drinking event. I'm not at all tempted and will have fun as it is a family wedding and I really love this side of my family.

Hope everyone was out of the nest having fun.

Happy SOBER Monday. There were definitely many times that my Sunday drinking made Monday morning difficult. So glad that's over...

Pav

Comment

Hi Nesters!

Exhausted here after a weekend of not getting enough sleep and intense heat.. will hopefully be cooling off tomorrow..?

So once again, just an accountability check in.. Making sure to eat and I won't go out again (it's 4pm here). Just going to sit in front of the fan and watch a film or two, then early to bed.

big hugs!!xx

Comment

4987710D-E721-40E3-A026-7D9A80E898FA.jpg
                              I wanted to get this in since I can only only post one pic at a time. I had this as a sticky note on my bulletin board as daily inspiration. It helped!
                              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

14BCE59B-2824-4E66-8637-9278E7B251F4.jpg
                                Hey Nesters!
                                I had a busy week myself. Last week, hubs’ brother was down with his in-laws for the week. They popped in daily. While they were here, I offered chocolates. When I said I’d made them the daughter of the in-laws asked how I did it. I offered to show her the next day, if she was willing to forego the beach. The next morning, she called! We made a beautiful set of turquoise hearts and decorated the box for Fathers Day with stamped papers, ribbon and a button). When he came to pick her up and she gave them to him, I thought he was going to cry! He was so moved. She and I had a blast making them. She is 16. What an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon!

So over the weekend, I made 2 batches of chocolates (mocha chocolate chip pictured above) both with salted dark chocolate shells. The fillings were peanut butter fudge and mocha chocolate chip. I thought for sure I’d like the peanut butter better, but the chocolate ones gave them some stiff competition. So upon completion, I usually give them to neighbors. I have 2 neighbors that always get some, then I have a rotation for the balance of them. I delivered to the second “always gets” neighbor and explained what both candies were. I said, “Let me know which one you like better, I think I’m liking the mocha better”. Well, a few minutes after I got home, she wrote a note. “The drizzle isn’t up to your usual standards, maybe you weren’t feeling well?” “The mocha one had too much salt in the shell and the filling tasted like cake frosting, I like the peanut butter better”. Now I’m not sure how I’m supposed to feel, but I can tell you how I DO feel….insulted! If I were entering the state fair or competing in a contest with Bobby Flay, I might welcome this criticism, but I’m a hobby baker. May I say, this is a Master Class on how to get off of my “always gets” list. Yikes, it’s a jungle out there! I guess I asked for it.

LC, I know you’ve prolly heard my story 1000 times, but when the time came that I HAD to quit and make it stick no matter what, I sort of worked backwards. I knew the goal was to commit to quitting for good. No crack in the door, no negotiation, I had to STOP or lose my hubs. So with that goal in mind, all I had to do was get through THAT day. 3799 days later, it is still working! I’m so glad you are committing to this healthier lifestyle. I have no regrets! (Well, I wish I’d done it 20 years earlier). Better late than never. Hugs to you.

Lav, Rodanthe is about 5.5 hours drive (268 mikes) north of us, so not really close, we have a long coastline and we are nearly at the southern border. We’re 1.5 hours drive north of Myrtle Beach. I can tell you, it’s hot and humid today (oppressive). Even the dog is holding it so she doesn’t have to go outside!
                                I hope everyone has a great week ahead! Byrdie
                                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                                Tool Box
                                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
                                X