X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Hi All,
    Checking in on a sober Tuesday evening.
    Hang in there Wags...I hope things will be cooling down for you soon. Once my husband and I were in Paris staying in a friend's flat. They did not have air conditioning and there was a heat wave going on. I couldn't sleep a wink that night it was so uncomfortable. I'll never forget that. Thank goodness for air conditioning. And Nar...even you guys are sweating up there in the Great White North!

Nothing special happened today, but it's like I started 'feeling the power'. I know it has only been a few days but the gratitude (or Lavitude) seems to be kicking in. I have to go for routine bloodwork tomorrow morning, so it will be interesting to see how the old bod is holding up. At least my Fitbit thinks I am in "Excellent" cardio condition for a woman of my age. haha.

Time to go for the evening walk. I think it helps me to sleep better...and I sleep ALOT better without the AL.
    BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Morning Nesters!

Wags, I'm so glad it's finally cooling down a bit for you! No, that's definitely not what you want your city to be famous for! There's a reason why your part of the world doesn't have air conditioners.. it's not supposed to be that hot! Same here.. it's terrifying how the weather has changed not just since `98 when I moved here, but in the last 12 years or so.. I hope you'll get some good sleep and caught up on things!

Belle, well done! I'm also sleeping much better without the alcohol.. though a bit too much! Still after 2 weeks, I feel like I'm catching up on months of troubled sleep.. Evening walks are the best!

NS! I remember you saying that long ago, about checking in here BEFORE you drink and waiting for a response.. that is my plan the next time I think I want to drink. So far so good..

Ok.. just looked at the time and realized I have to be at work in 12 minutes!! Not quite going to make it..
      Will check in again this afternoon.. it's raining here!! Yayyyy..
      Big hugs all around.. xx

Comment

Tuesday eve sober in the not-quite-as-hot-but-still-incredibly-hot Pacific Northwest. We didn't have a storm break the heat this time, the heat dome holding it all in just weakened and the ocean air finally was able to cool things off a little bit.

I did have a scare this morning. We've done a great job of staying well-hydrated during the heat event but apparently I didn't do as good of a job with electrolyte balance. I was walking around this morning feeling fine, did some quick errands and thought I'd sneak in a quick workout since I haven't been able to do one for the previous three days. About 2/3 of the way through I just had this feeling like I should be done, so I eased up on things and wrapped up a few mins later. Then I noticed I just felt off. My brain felt like it wasn't working exactly right and my hands were tingling. I was just a little bit chilled. My pulse, my temp and my skin were all fine. I know enough about exercise science and emergency first aid to guess that I was having some sort of heat illness but my symptoms didn't match heat exhaustion or heat stroke. I decided to drink some electrolyte fluid (like gatorade but different) in case that was what was up, and I got my wife ready to take me to the ER if things continued downhill. Fortunately I started to feel at least a little better fairly quickly, so I continued the self-treatment and monitoring. An hour or two later I felt fine again. It was super scary though - especially sensing that something wasn't working quite right in my brain but unable to describe it.

So glad I was sober and that I know my brain and body well enough to detect when something is wrong.

Even more glad that the deadly heat has passed and now we just have normal everyday heat keeping us on our toes.

Nar, Lav, and everyone else having such challenging conditions - stay safe!
        Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi Nest!

Wags, that is scary. You might have ignored that if you were drinking...yikes! Glad you listened to the signs and took care of you! I often think I had my neurological symptoms long before I realized, but drank right through them.

LC, sleep is wonderful. Glad you're catching up.

Belle, may the force be with you! People who study the body's energy fields say that alcohol rips holes right through them. We do so much damage drinking. I'll bet you're feeling your power as you heal! That will continue to build. Just imagine your aura getting stronger every single day! Add meditation and you'll be a force to be reckoned with (to channel G)!

Busy day in the city today. I really like and enjoy most of my clients, and they are genuinely good people. But the one today is not my favorite and she's an hour+ away. Hopefully it will be quick. I feel I need to be home and attentive to my little girl. At 11, she has been crying the last few nights at bedtime, saying she just feels scared and sad. My shirt was wet last night from all her tears. She wants to sleep in our room on the floor, but it becomes a habit and 2 months later she is still there. I encouraged her to work on a few coping mechanisms - but at her age I'm also torn and want to just hug that pain right out of her. I wish I knew where it is coming from.

Anyway, off to see the beautiful in today.
          Last edited by KENSHO; June 30, 2021, 08:22 AM.
          Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hi, All:

I'm back after an amazing trip to a wedding. The wedding itself was one of the most beautiful I have ever been to - so beautiful, and a very sweet couple. It was simultaneously lavish and homestyle - probably the most expensive wedding but not garish or tacky. But the expense in and of itself was a bit off putting to me - I can't believe someone would spend that much money for a public celebration of love/commitment. I feel like if I had that much money I'd rather get a down payment on a house, or a trip around the world. But I guess they'll have that, too.

Anyway - I got to see a lot of my crazy family - they are SO MUCH FUN and we had a lot of laughs. Always a lot of booze, but I manage to have fun and then I feel great in the morning. My hubs had one evening when he got very drunk, which is not something he usually does. He handles his booze better than almost anyone I know, but I know he was hurting the next day.

Belle, I see you are back - welcome back and I hope you stick around.

Wags, I'm glad you survived that heat wave. That heat is so scary. Glad you are safe. And anyone else experiencing this extreme heat.

Off to work (ugh). I didn't read all the way back, but I hope all is well.

xo
            Pav

Comment

Hello,
              Wow, Wags what a scare. Glad you are ok and had your wife with you in case you needed help. Also, good thing you recognized the warning signs and knew how to self care. Heat is nothing to mess with.

Pav, nice to see you again too, and that you enjoyed the wedding. I too feel like I would rather have the down payment on the house than a lavish wedding, but I guess people can choose what they like.

Apparently it is going to be a hot one here today, with a heat index reaching 105. My pup almost never drinks water. We have tried everything. Moving her bowl, putting beef broth in the water, etc. Maybe once every two weeks she will drink water (or when she is about it vomit, blech)...however I catch her drinking out of puddles outside. What is up with that? She is a bit of a weirdo, as all our pets have been it seems (even a couple of fish we have). I don't know why we cannot have a normal pet. lol. Kidding aside, we feed her juicy canned food and the vet did not see any signs of dehydration last time she went in.

LC, let's stick together here, since we are both pretty early in our quits. I've added to my signature a reminder: "Alcohol does me no favors". (It takes much more than it gives.)

Last night's walk was a bit warm, even though I went out around 10pm. I think I overextended because my knees hurt today.

Today I have to take my son for his second covid vax...yay. He works in a grocery store when he is not at college and was the first in the family to have covid last summer. They are removing the mask mandate for fully vaccinated workers on July 4...but I can't help wondering if that will be rescinded due to this scary Delta variant.

Take care everyone, especially those in the heat.
              Last edited by BelleGirl; June 30, 2021, 09:26 AM.
              BelleGirl

Comment

Hey Belle, so good to see you back on the AF path. AL didn’t do me any favors, either. In fact, it did me dirty, it siphoned off all of my self-respect and confidence and nearly cost me my marriage. I’m so thankful I quit and I’ve never regretted it. I must have been a hard-core case because I never drank unconsciously. As an addict, I knew exactly what my fix was. Moreover, I knew when I wasn’t getting it. That was the case for me for a very long time (since the early 90’s). I’m so glad you are back with us with a renewed determination.
                Wags, I’m so sorry you had that close call. Heat is a bear on the human body. Please keep us posted.
                Pav, my nephew married 3 years ago and her family threw them a lavish wedding. He closed on a house today, and I bet they wish they had that money now. I’m flabbergasted at how much people spend on weddings, at the same time, wondering how I can get in on that huge industry! Wedding chocolates! Just kidding, I want no part of that crazy train.
                I had a dream last night that we were going to Eupore and were checking our bags at the counter and I realized I’d left my phone at home! Can you imagine? That would be a disaster, glad it was just a dream.
                Hot and humid here, just oppressive. My thoughts are with all who are enduring this heat without A/C.
                Wishing everyone a cozy night in the nest. Byrdie
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Evening greetings Nesters,

The heat index was 102 today, ugh. I’ve had enough & looking forward to the cold front coming tomorrow in the form of big storms. Anything to breakup this hot mess.
                  Today is our 48th wedding anniversary & we celebrated with dinner at Applebees - no fancy stuff needed anymore.

Wags, we have to listen to our bodies, that’s for sure! Glad you’re OK. Take care!

Belle & LC, keep doing what you’ve been doing - finding success & reaping the benefits

Kensho, I’ve been watching my granddaughter getting weepy lately too, she’s 10. I think there’s some hormones kicking in in girls at this age. I feel bad but know they will figure it all out in the end. My daughter just mentioned a few days ago about trying to ‘toughen’ her up a little. They will be OK.

Pav, welcome back, sounds like you had a great adventure!!

Byrdie, I’m staying as close to the AC as possible, LOL. I cannot handle this heatwave, no way.

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

No Nesters checking in???

Just saying Hello & hope everyone os OK.
                    The heatwave is over here, we’ve had lots of rain, grateful.

Have a safe night in the nest one & all!

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hello hello....doing quick check in! Long day of work...I'm learning the 'first of the month' stuff as we are losing a person in my group. Then I had to do my regular work. Making something really easy for dinner and then to bed for a good AL free night's sleep. I found that before this quit, almost any bit of AL had me up most of the night. It is so nice to sleep through the night (unless you count a quick pee break).

Thanks for the welcome back, Byrdie. I know this is the place to be!
                      BelleGirl

Comment

Checking in sober and cooler. Finally. Dozens of people died in our state from this heat emergency, and I heard that hundreds more died in Washington (state to the north) and throughout British Columbia in Canada.

Nar - are you doing ok up there? Hey isn't today Canada Day? I used to live near Detroit Michigan and I think we always had a cross-cultural celebration with Windsor in Ontario Canada every July 1-4 to celebrate your holiday and ours. Am I remembering correctly about the date?

Belle - glad you're feeling the power. You sound good!

Lav - glad things have cooled off on your coast as well.

Wow, can't believe it's already July but it is. Here we go with the second half of the year. Let's make it a good one!
                        Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Checking in quick on my phone. Travelled overnight to daughter’s college town, now have traveled again and am up north for the holiday weekend. This feels weird as this could be my last time with our whole nuclear family, with the threat of divorce hanging over me. Then I could be barred from this place, and it would be just him and the daughters …ugh. Well it’s always been fraught & frustrating up here at the cabin with him, I’ll have to remember.

I have enjoyed all your posts, and will try to reply when I get some wifi.

Let’s all have a great AF weekend!
                          Last edited by Slo; July 2, 2021, 07:52 AM.
                          Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Wags, hundreds of death is really sad and scary. Clearly we are having climate chaos - time for people to stop denying it and face it. Like we faced alcohol. It sucks, we quit our bad behavior and we learn new ways to deal. Glad it’s cooler today.

Slo, enjoy the family time as much as you can. I have a feeling that really good things are in store for you once you’re on a new path. Keep trudging forward remembering the positive and have faith that changes like this can bring us the life we were meant to have….

Pav, nice to attend the lavish parties others throw! I like to call weddings the fairytale trap - trying to create the perfect day at any expense. Not possible. I’d rather travel!

Belle, I wonder if your pup can taste the chlorine or other stuff in your water. Have you tried filtered water? Maybe not a rabbit hole you want to go down…

Byrdie… terrifying that dream was about your phone, but great that it was not about alcohol! If your phone is your most important possession now, that means alcohol has lost its status. Yea!

We are leaving Sunday for 10 days camping through mountain towns. Headed toward Telluride. Excited, but lots to do in the next two days. Trying to remember my goal of not being superwoman. Trying. I stayed up until 1:15am a couple nights ago and feel off balance now. Uncomfortable. But I know how to get through uncomfortable.

Have a strong day everyone!
                            Last edited by KENSHO; July 2, 2021, 09:10 AM.
                            Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

No rain & a good bit of sunshine today. Sounds like the weekend is going to be damp, oh well.

Wags, glad you got relief from the heat. It just sounds so strange in this day & age that people are dying in extreme heat conditions. I feel sorry for those who suffered so much.
                              One of our old members lives in BC & she was posting on FB last night about a huge fire right on the edge of her town, how sad.

Slo, glad you checked in & I hope your weekend is good. You never know what the future holds so please try not to worry too much. :hug:

Kensho, we have been on well water since we built this house back in 2003. Now when we go back to our old hometown area we noticed the chlorine & other tastes in the water. Maybe Belle could try some bottled spring water for her pooch & see what happens
                              I hope you. Enjoy your trip, sounds exhausting to me haha!!

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all.

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hi, All:

Phew, going back to work after a vacation always takes a lot out of me. When I was younger I was more eager to get back, now I just wonder how long until retirement! I'm lucky I love my job, as it will be several years before I retire.

Wags, that is terrible. I had no idea there were that many deaths. After hearing what happened to you, young and in shape, it seems obvious it would happen with much more disastrous results to those who are older and live alone. I'm glad it finally broke. I do hope we get some rain.

Happy SOBER Saturday,
                                Pav

Comment

Working...
                                X