Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Quick fly by for me today, to keep close to the nest. Should be working.

Hope all are well and that NS is on the mend!
    BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

The tropical storm will be moving into the area during the early morning hours tomorrow. Just running around & making sure nothing can fly away when the winds pick up. I have a feeling my chickens are going to have to deal with an inside their house day tomorrow haha!

G, OK now I really need to know - what is tucker that you will be cooking & freezing? You can follow me around all you want, the more the merrier I say

Wags, we’ll have to get a cake ready for your big 5 year celebration, yay!!! Get some rest when you can, teaching must be mentally exhausting.

Slo, we really do have more to be positive & grateful for than we first realize. I loved every minute I spent with my grandkids when they were young & I was newly AF. The oldest will be turning 13 in November - I quit for him :hug: Everything will be OK, you just believe that.

Wow, hello TJ, great to see you!
      I’ve seen plenty of white beards around here, you’re definitely not the only one. Going on 8 years is just wonderful, good for you!

Hello to Pav & Belle & everyone else checking in tonight.
      Let’s all have a safe night in the nest!

Lav
      Last edited by Lavande; July 8, 2021, 05:11 PM.
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Originally posted by Pavati View Post
        Mr. G, I am a LeCruset fan. Expensive, but they last forever. I have two sizes and make all of my soups and stews in them - things don't stick to the bottom. Also, I think they have a lifetime warranty and you can get them re-enameled, although after 25 years I still haven't had to do that with mine.
        Thanks for the tip Pav. I'll look Lecruset up too.

Lav, i'm just cooking basic things such as veggies mixed with beans, rice, maybe some fish or chicken. I like hearing about your gluten/dairy free concoctions.

Good to see u TJ!

Big waves to all. Take it easy.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Thanks for stopping by, TJAF! It’s encouraging to hear how well it’s going for you with long term sobriety.

I understand what you’re saying, Pav, about getting to the place of complete acceptance that we simply cannot drink ETOH. Ever. Not even “just one”. TJAF is saying the same thing. Then the self-talk does change to “what can I do instead of drink?” The debates in the head about “maybe just this once” are over, and are never entertained again.

I love my Le Creuset pans also! And they heat evenly, and retain the heat so well. I wish they worked well for browning hamburger meat though. That one is harder for figuring out how to avoid aluminum.

You’re at 5 years now, Wags?! Yet another one here makes 5 years! I’m at 3 years later this month.

You’re doing well, Belle!

Yikes about the incoming tropical storm, Byrdie and Lav!
          The weather turned nice again here today! I found a great new route to bike here, with beautiful forest views. And the teen girls arrived! They’re out for pizza now.

Ava is due for her dental surgery tomorrow -which is today there! So I am thinking of her, and hope all goes well.

Time to hunker down for a safe night in the Nest!
          Last edited by Slo; July 8, 2021, 08:17 PM.
          Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Just a note of caution. I said that I quit privately, not confiding in those closest to me. I was a serious hardcore drinker, no need for beer or wine for me. If you're just starting your path to sobriety or think my way of going about it was brave please listen to me now. What I did was not the way to go. I should have swallowed my pride and gone to my family for support. I should have more importantly, confided in my doctor and quit under medical supervision, what I did was dangerous
            Last edited by TJAF; July 8, 2021, 09:32 PM.
            Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

TJAF - great to see you, and congrats on 8 years (beard and all!). Excellent footnote that you added in your follow-up message.

Pav - My quit date is July 24, and you're right -- I was in a horrible hit-and-run accident about 6 months after I began my quit. When I got through that period of time without drinking, I knew I was solid and could get through anything without drinking.

Ava - sending you all sorts of positive energy for your dental surgery and recovery. May it all go smoothly and easily. We'll look forward to your update once you're feeling up to it :hug:

Slo - The UP and that region of Wisconsin are both beautiful for sure!

Hope everyone has an easy night or day in the nest.
              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Well, the tropical storm took a right hand turned when it reached NJ, they got slammed pretty hard. We just had some light rain & a little wind. I imagine future storms will find me, they usually do.
                Just started raining again, thundering too. I hope my chickens decided to go in their house, they don’t always, haha!

Ava, thinking about you post surgery & green sending you healing vibes. I had an emergency visit yesterday to a dental surgeon, had a root canal done. The right side of my face was swollen like a chipmunk & had pain radiating to my ear, ugh. Much better today, thank goodness.

Wags, we will find just the right cake for your July 24th anniversary

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Happy Friday night, Nesters!
                  I'm feeling lonely and hungry and those things can spell Trouble. So I put in an order at a nearby tex-mex restaurant. Ready in 20 minutes. And I'm tired also. 3 out of 4 of the HALT. Being faithful to my quit. Because it is Friday and there are no seats on the train to boozeville.

Hope you are feeling better Ava, and Lav, I have had my share of root canals. They suck, but the pain before is worse.

Time to pick up the food. Have a safe sober night everyone!
                  BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Lav - sorry to hear about the root canal but glad you were able to get it taken care of so quickly. Sending both you and Ava healing dental vibes.

Belle - that's a great response to HALT conditions. I hope you enjoyed your Tex-Mex food! Now I'm hungry

Had a productive Friday here - took care of some home maintenance jobs we've been dragging our feet on, got in a nice bike ride, and taught one very long class session. Now I've got almost the entire weekend OFF (just one hour Sunday morning with one of my favorite students). We're gonna bike to our farmer's market and then take the day nice and easy from there on out. Hope you all have fab weekends too. Don't drink!
                    Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Greetings!

Wags, glad you can rest your brain this weekend!

Belle, way to handle a tricky Friday!

I’m lucky to be at the cabin with four 17-18 year old girls who don’t drink! They paint together, lay out in the sun, boat, sit together reading, play games, roast marshmallows...but they don’t drink! HB is here now too.

Lav, glad your root canal was successful.

Happy Satti-day, as Byrdie says!
                      Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Hi, All:

I hear you, TJAF. While I was publicly private, I saw a therapist and also had my husband here. Thanks for the update.

Wags, I have been thinking about the farmer's market here. I get lazy because our super markets have such good produce here in CA, but I could do even BETTER! We have a big one near here on Sundays - maybe I'll go.

Ava, hope you're feeling better.

Lav, glad the storm avoided you. I hope the Stella have high ground!

Happy Sober Saturday, folks.

x
                        Pav

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Fairly nice day here after all the rain yesterday, grateful
                          Feeling much better too, only grabbed the ibuprofen bottle once today. My face has returned to almost normal size, yay!!!

Belle, so glad you paid attention to your triggers. I remember it getting easier & easier as time went on, almost automatic. That’s how you find real success

Wags, since we live in such a heavy farming area fresh fruits & veggies are everywhere. Almost every farmer has his own little market, pretty cool actually. Enjoy your weekend to the fullest!

Slo, you almost have a girl scout troop there, nice . I was a co-leader for my daughter’s troop & always enjoyed spending the time with 17 girls, haha!! Have a great rest of your weekend.

Pav, I actually found all of my chickens inside on their roost last evening, way before dark. This may be the smartest flock I’ve ever had - they don’t stand out in the rain getting soaked & covered in mud, haha!

Hello to the rest of the group. Ava, I sure hope you are doing OK.
                          Wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hola nester's,

Belle, good move on the tex mex. Even cooler is your awareness of how you're thinking/feeling. That selfawareness has saved me many times and continues to propel my life to great heights and frequencies because i experience the benefit of a daily Positive mental attitude. It compounds and i'm noticing a difference in stress levels and worry. They hardly git a look in these days. When they do, i handle it like a pro. Like water off a stella chooks back in the rain. HALT is a great tool. Have a beaut weekend.

Slo, sounds like a cool weekend up there.

It's only friday, not a ticket to no freakin whackyass boozeville. I was driving past that old railway track the other day. Wow, can hardly see it. Covered in tall grass. If i don't walk on it, that path will remain unused.

Hope you're good Ava.

Big waves to evabody.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

morning nesters

i seem to be always MIA at the moment. Work is so busy doing two jobs, they dont have a replacement and i am supposed to be having a week off.

Surgery went well, i dont think i come out of anaesthesia too well, its really taken it out of me. Im not in too much pain which is great. The kids just laughed at me when i was home, i was off my head. looking at the videos that they kindly took reminds me of my drunk days, absolutely no idea what i was doing, saying or where i was. Had an awful migraine yesterday but just going to take it one day at a time. thanks so much for the well wishes. this is the last item on my list of things to doing after being sober. I had a ten year plan to do all of this and looks like it will be done in 7 1/2 years. There is no way in hell that i could have gotten dental work without being knocked out but when all done i will be brave and go every six months. Next surgery on the 23rd July and i cant wait to see what 36000 gives me ha ha.

Lav sorry you had to go to the dentist too, i promise i didnt send the vibes for that. i have had root canal on two teeth and they both had to come out after 6 years, finally getting implants for those holes. its amazing how self conscious you are.

going to send kids to shops to get some veges to make cauliflower and parsnip soup.

take care and i hope the heat has settled down over there. xxx
                              AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Ava - so glad to hear that surgery went well! Sounds like you're in a FAR better head-space than you ever were while drinking (aren't we all?). I hope you have easy days from here on out.

Lav - those are some smart chickens!

Slo - glad you're enjoying your time with the teens. They sound like they've got a healthy outlook on how to have fun.

As planned, we biked to the farmer's market today and then had a pretty relaxing day at home. We have fantastic produce around here too but it's just fun to go to the farmer's market. We actually have about 10 different farmer's markets in our city -- one big one downtown near the university, and then in a bunch of different neighborhoods scattered throughout the city. We usually go to the one closest to our house, which means we often run into people we know. It's as much a social event as a shopping trip.

Enjoy the rest of your weekends everyone!
                                Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Working...
                                X