Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Hi, All:

I am sorry I missed so much! Trying to start school in the time of a pandemic is not a cake walk!

Thanks for starting the discussion, LC. Welcome back. YOU GOT THIS.

I didn't read all of the posts, but I did love reading some of the great ideas for LC.

Honestly for me the key to keeping the choice off the table was accountability: coming clean to my husband, my best friends, and my therapist. I went in to my therapist and told her honestly how, when and why I drank and she replied, "you, my dear, are an alcoholic." Man, that hurt, but it was the first time anyone had used that word around me. I continued to see her through the first several months - I committed the money and time to face my truth. I also sat down with my husband and told him everything. He was amazing and understanding, but I did have to reinforce that I could NEVER drink again and if ever, EVER I told him it was ok for me to have just a little he was NOT to believe me. Finally, I oriented my life around me and self care. I hiked a TON, listening the The Bubble Hour podcast - it helped me feel not alone. I found trails I never knew existed. I ate ice cream as an alternative - my Friday night pints became Haagen Daz instead of beer. I soaked in lavender baths during witching hour. I spent hours on MWO reading back, posting, and getting support. I practiced gratitude. I wrote lists of all I gained from not being drunk and drinking. I remember once my dad was in the hospital and my sister and I had dinner with my mom. My sister and mom hit the wine hard and the hospital called to say they didn't have one kind of medicine that my dad needed to take. I was SO GRATEFUL to be sober and have the ability to drive those pills up to them. What if I wasn't??? And I also pushed myself into things that were uncomfortable. Drinking used to get me out on the dance floor at a wedding. I pushed myself back onto that dance floor even though I was more self conscious sober, but eventually I loved the dancing part just as much. And I drew boundaries. If I was feeling the least bit shaky or tired I just said no. That was actually freeing - drawing boundaries is such a good practice even without the booze. And at the beginning, I thought constantly about what I would lose if I continued to drink. My family, my career, my health. And lastly, I really dove into the world of relapse. What were the conditions under which long-time sober people relapsed? How could I avoid that? Relapse starts to happen long before the drinking actually happens. It is a part of the process for some, but not a given. I worked, and continue to work, extremely hard at not relapsing. I think it would be very hard for me to quit again.

Belle and Slo, I am so sorry for what you're both going through. It would be very hard to be in that situation. Remember that being sober brings clarity and strength. Please let us support you in whatever way we can, but also reach out to your in person people.

Hope you are all well. We got this!

Pav

Comment

[MENTION=20191]Pavati[/MENTION], that's another one for the Toolbox, please!

Comment

New here. Went straight in with a topa question in the medications section... but just wanted to drop by here and say hi.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Hello & welcome Mulburry, glad you found us. Please make yourself comfortable & stay as long as you like. We’re a nice bunch here & very supportive of one another. Let us know how we can help you

Pav, good to see you. I figured you were busy getting everything ready for a brand new school year. I’m sure it’s extra difficult with Covid restrictions.
          I’m certain you will keep your quit because I’m keeping mine knowing another may be impossible. This quit is our final quit!! You should add your story to the Tool box.

After all the rain storms & tornado warnings yesterday I thought we were in the clear by bedtime. Well, my phone did a screaming alert at midnight for another tornado, scared me half to death. The tornado passed by here but did make a touch down two counties northeast from here. Seeing the damage on the news is so sad. We never had those things here on the east coast just hurricanes which are bad enough. Things are definitely changing in the world.

Hello to NS & everyone checking in tonight.
          Wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

So many great posts. There is so much knowledge and experience in these 4 virtual walls. Toolbox material, all! The first question I had when I started was “How did you do it?” So those posts are golden nuggets.
            Ive run out of chocolate! I ran to the store on Sunday to grab the kind I like and they were out. So I’ll try again, maybe tomorrow. Hesitant to get out in this Delta mess. Folks around here are defiant about the smallest measures to help mitigate it. Frustrating. My good KN95 masks finally came in, so I feel a little better about getting out.
            Stick with your Plans, I promise, the rewards are on the other end of the effort. There will be a day that you don’t even think about it, and that is such a blessing. MindPeace. It’s yours for the taking! Hugs to all, Byrdie
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Mulburry - welcome to MWO and the Nest. I hope you find what you're seeking here. Please let us know how we can best support or help you.

Pav - great to see you. I figured you were probably super busy with start of school year stuff. What a fantastic post! I agree that it should go in the toolbox. Hope you get a minute to breathe this weekend.

Lav - glad you were spared the storm damage. The world is definitely changing and so far I haven't heard of or seen anywhere that it's for the better.

Byrdie - no chocolate!!! Doesn't that store know you have delectable treats to craft?

Belle and Slo - my heart goes out to both of you. You BOTH deserve to be treated far better.

Kensho - your daughter sounds wise indeed!

Hellos and waves to LC, G, Ava, and everyone else stopping by the nest today. It's almost (or finally) Friday!
              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Good morning, Nesters!

I can only imagine the stress & difficulty of setting up a new school year in the middle of a pandemic, Pav. Thanks for taking the time to share the details of your strategies to becoming AF. Everyone would say, “make a plan” -but what does that mean exactly? Hearing the details of everyone’s plans has been immensely helpful.

Welcome, Mulburry! We’re glad you’re here, and hope you will stay!

Kensho, how lucky for your daughter to be able to work with her mother, which is fun in itself; but also to benefit from learning your craft from the cradle on up! It’s a priceless apprenticeship.

Byrdie, you are an artist in chocolate. I hope your “medium” gets back in stock soon.

The amount of natural disasters is scary and unsettling indeed.

I did have a great time in Mexico with my darling daughter. We enjoyed our time by and in the pools, and dining at the all-inclusive, and it was deeply relaxing. I took lots of scenic photo shoots of her in her many bikinis and dresses for her social media.
                It was a way for me to go on vacation and not have to participate in the heavy alcohol culture, as my one companion does not really drink yet. But she is 18 now, the legal drinking age in Mexico; so she did have a mojito that they pressed on us once, and she did have one pina colada. But she didn’t finish either one!!

Good job with the distraction, LC. I hope your week off is refreshing you, Wags. Wishing us all a good day!
                Last edited by Slo; August 20, 2021, 08:57 AM.
                Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Hi, All:

First day with kids yesterday - went well. I am SO glad to be back in person, and so are they. We are all very serious about being safe and staying healthy, so we don't get mask complaints or anything. Our grounding principal is community - how every action affects the whole community. It is useful to have that as a core belief when talking about masks, vaccines, etc. It isn't just about YOU.

Thank goodness it is Friday! I have nothing planned this weekend except dinner with my sil on Sunday. I can't wait to veg.

Pav

Comment

Hi Everyone!!

Thank you so much for that post, Pav! I know you've typed that out once or twice before, but it sure is great to read it again.. I hope you put it in the Toolbox! Glad to hear that your first day back with the kids went well. We still have such strict mask and testing rules here (the kids have to test 3x a week and wear masks constantly in all schools) that it seems like a world away not to. I sure hope it won't be the case for ever and eternity!

I'm hanging out with my daughter now so don't have much time to write.. but wanted to be sure and check in as it seems to be what helps me the most. Being part of this community, listening to what you all have to say. I savour all the posts, reading them slowly, not wanting to come to the end of the day!:happy2:
                    I'll be at my partners tonight and tomorrow so will check in on my phone!

Hugs all around.. wishing you all a lovely, relaxing weekend!xx

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

The clouds parted & we actually have some nice sun for a change
                      Watching the news about Hurricane Henri making it’s way to the east coast……looks like New England will be taking teh hit this time, oh boy.

Byrdie, you need an online source for your chocolate!!!! Let me know what you like & I’ll help you find it friend!

Wags, hope your weekend is good.

Slo, so glad to hear you enjoyed your trip with your daughter. I loved that bonding time with mine when she was that age.
                      Must have been weird seeing unfinished drinks….who does that? Haha.

Pav, great to her your school year started off on the right foot. I hope the whole year goes well for you.

LC, I want all of my grandkids to be able to go back to school safely in a few weeks. If that means masks & distancing & all that that’s just fine with me.
                      I hope your weekend is relaxing, stay in touch.

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Pav - glad your first day with kids went well. I'm sure there are parents, teachers, students, administrators, staff etc at schools all over the country who are both anxious to get back and nervous about being back. I love the core value of community. This is the kind of thing I've always looked for and/or tried to build in every place I've worked. It's sadly lacking in many of our larger communities (like cities) but hopefully at the more local level it will prove to bring you together.

Slo - sounds like a wonderful getaway with your daughter!

Lav - hope you and Byrdie and anyone else on the east coast stays safe and clear of the hurricane. i know you two are states away from each other but sometimes those storm paths are crazy.

Hope everyone is having good AF weekends wherever you are!
                        Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi, All:

A lazy Saturday morning - just what the doctor ordered.

Slo, sounds like a wonderful trip. Glad you got to get away.

Yes, Wags, I love our community vibe. And reading back I typed principal instead of principle. Funny how those stand out to me.

Not much else to say. Staying sober is the way to be.

Pav

Comment

Good Saturday evening Nesters,

We have a partly sunny 81 degrees here so I’m sitting outside, yay!!
                            Looks like Byrdie & I will not be hit with the hurricane, lucked out this time. It’s supposed to be making landfall on Long Island & areas to the north. I wish them well :hug:

Wags, I know the amount of rain these storms bring, I wish we could transfer it all to the west coast to. Put out some fires. My son & his family have been in NC all week & are due home any minute. Glad. They got out of there before anything starts. Hope your weekend is going well.

Pav, I hope your weekend is peaceful & relaxing. Monday comes soon enough

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Quick sober fly-by on this beautiful Saturday evening. Protect your quits and live your best lives everyone!
                              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Good Morning, Nesters..

All is well here.. looks like it will be another cool and rainy day. We haven't had much warmth this summer which makes for a looong winter! It's pretty much been an out of control summer weather wise no matter where one lives.. scary, indeed. I'm glad the hurricane didn't come too near you, Lav and hopefully Byrdie, too.?

We've had a quiet weekend so far which is just what the doctor ordered.. same as you, Pav!
                                This afternoon we're going to hear an octet play in the philharmonic opera house.. yayyy!! I'm a lover of almost any type of live music and classical inspires me.

I hope everyone has a nice and relaxing Sunday.. I'll check in later this evening.
                                Hugs to you all..xx

Comment

Working...
                                X