Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

I got home at 1:00am today. I pretty much enjoyed myself and stayed AF and sugar-free, but upped the carbs (emotional eating) to help with social anxiety. The stress of social anxiety still wore on me, and eventually got the best of me to some degree as the time went on, but ultimately it was a pretty successful and nice time.
    It was very meaningful to watch my nephew getting married, with his three brothers up there by his side -all young men in their 20s now. Sad to see the bride’s mother all emaciated and on her very last legs with cancer, but they played a beautiful song about how “even though you won’t be with us forever” while each of her four kids and husband took a turn holding her close and dancing with her.

I finally got out dancing at the wedding, but it was a mistake as it caused a lot of knee pain and soreness in my artificial knee that lingered throughout the next day and a half. Yes, a cruciate injury is where all my knee woes started, Ava. Good that you’re taking it seriously and got to the hospital, and are supporting it well for maximal healing. You see the silver lining, anyways, in not having to go back to work.

My sister made it through the meet & greet party the night before, and half way through the wedding reception before she succumbed to drinking. And then I got to deal with the fallout from it, with her nasty and uneven moods, while traveling home with her the next day. I even heard her trying to order alcohol from the flight attendant on the plane ride home at night, but they didn’t have any in the cart.

Hey, that’s a good idea, Pav: look forward to the Winter Solstice! It’s coming soon!
    Last edited by Slo; November 22, 2021, 05:27 PM.
    Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

I just finished baking the rest of the cookie dough the grandsons didn’t get to last night. Now I have cookies to take to my granddaughter on Thanksgiving, haha!

Pav, I think it takes a little time to adjust after the time change. Things usually even out then as you said there’s the solstice.
      I’m liking my bike more & more since I eased up on the tension a bit & am not irritating my knees anymore. I’m still working up my heart rate & strengthening the lower body. Limit the news, it’s all ridiculously depressing.

Ava, so sorry about the knee injury! Just goes to show stupid sh*t happens all the time & we don’t have to be drinking, thank goodness. Ice it, elevate it & follow the instructions you were given. Hope you feel better soon. Accidents never seem to happen at convenient times, try not to worry about work, etc. Congrats on your chickens, yay!!! I love mine too even though I have way too many of all different ages at this point. Some haven’t laid in a long time, they’re just pets now I guess Lol. Have fun with them & enjoy the fresh eggs - nothing better

Slo, glad you enjoyed the wedding ~ for the most part!
      Sorry about your sister choosing to drink. Was it the social anxiety that got to her too? It takes a while but eventually you will get used to being a non-drinker & learn to relax in a crowd. It took a while for me too & at this point I just never seem to go anywhere. Hope your knee is OK too. We’ll have to open an Ortho wing soon in the nest for people to rest their knees.

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
      Last edited by Lavande; November 22, 2021, 07:34 PM.
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hola nester's,

Wishing you a full and speedy recovery Ava!

You too Slo. Hope you're knee feels better. Glad you made it back safe and relatively sound!

I threw my TV out about 5 years ago. I tend to get a gist of current news via brief social media headlines, or if i tune in to the non mainstream news alternatives here which are at least far less sensationalist and fear mongering.

Take it easy out there. Big waves to evabody. Surf's up pilgrims.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Ava - sorry to hear about your knee but glad you're on top of taking care of it.

Slo - good on you for enjoying the wedding as much as possible, and glad you're home.

Lav - hard to believe your grandson left you with any cookie dough! I'm sure it'll be a nice contribution to the feast on Thu.

Nothing big to report from here. I'm still feeling really down so I'm just tying a knot and hanging on. So glad I don't drink and that I made it totally non-negotiable.

Take care everyone!
          Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

hi Nesters,
            very quick check in before I run off to work..
            I promised myself I would write here each and every day, even if it's just short, and I haven't been!
            Each and every day the little things turn into habits.. but I have to do them!
            Wishing everyone a nice Tuesday..xx

Comment

evening nesters

oh Slo, i really hope i dont have the knee trouble you have but not much i can do about it if it is just take the good advice from here. Glad you had a lovely time at the wedding, shame about your sister though. my mother used to be a nasty drunk, she is now drinking non al wine so i am glad about that. Did you go with any of your children to the wedding or just your sister? How long before you could drive after your injury Slo?

Lav, i finally googled how to use canadian crutches and got out to see my chooks, they laid one egg, probably to ask for forgiveness lol. i am happy i bought them as i used to have pet chooks when i was a child. they make great pets.

my son spent the night looking after me and my daughter today, he went and bought a plastic chair for the shower and put in a shower hose so that was much appreciated. i miss doing the things i have taken for granted, which is everything atm. maybe its a sign to just slow down for a bit.

mum had a fall today at the supermarket, a lovely lady rang me and said she had called an ambulance. apparently her electrolytes are lol. any advice Lav would be appreciated. they are keeping her in overnight. i cant drive to see her either so thats annoying.

Glad to see you LC and that you are trying to make an effort to post. keep up the great work.

Hi G, no tv, wow you are lucky, i normally put it on and have it on mute. not sure why.

take care xx
              AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Good morning to the Nest!

Ava, my knee injury is so old, and deteriorated over time. I couldn’t drive for six weeks after knee replacement surgery, and 3-4 weeks after knee revision surgery. It’s so true that we miss doing the things we have taken for granted when our mobility is affected! It is so scary.This will be temporary for you though. And maybe when you recover, the kids will continue with their new habits of pitching in and helping out more!

Thanks for checking in, LC!

Sorry you’re feeling so low, Wags. I have to seriously limit news exposure and, like G-man, it’s because of the sensationalist and fear-mongering nature of it. I don’t want to be controlled by the way they spin the news. My TV stays off most of the time.

Lav, I think my sister chose to drink at the wedding mainly because she doesn’t have enough AF time under her belt to be able to resist temptation for that long.
                Two daughters were at the wedding with me: D1 with her HB & babies, and D3 with her HB. It was so nice to be with them there!

NS, I got to rent an e-bike while there in Texas. Such fun!
                Last edited by Slo; November 23, 2021, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Glad you got to try the little motorcycle, Slo! Unfortunately it got chilly right after I got my e-bike so I haven't gotten to use it much. Makes me really eager for spring!

Ava, I have a weird back/leg thing going on. Nothing like your knee but these limitations can be so annoying! My favorite thing to do is walk our dog so it is a bummer not to be able to enjoy that right now. I sort of limp her around the block but it isn't really exercise for either of us.

Lav, I do have a fun sewing project going - a quilt using some hand-dyed fabric I bought with an Etsy gift certificate. There will be small boys around this week, though, so I don't think much sewing will be done.

Things are very tough right now, Wags, and likely to get tougher. I'm trying not to let my mind get carried away by things over which I have absolutely no control. Easier said than done.

LC, drinking daily is nothing more than an EXTREME habit. Glad you're working on putting new ones in place.

I hope those of you in the US are enjoying what has become a holiday week! I'm certainly grateful for all of you. xx
                  Last edited by NoSugar; November 23, 2021, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Good evening all you grateful Nesters

We are lucky to have such a sturdy nest with plenty of strong residents! It dawned on me today that I always felt SO alone when I was drinking & withdrawing from pretty much everything. I know that was a feature of the depression I had fallen into but it was very lonely. I have never felt that since joining MWO. I always knew there was someone around who would listen & understand so thank you.
                    On my own this evening, husband & son are attending a fire company dinner in our old hometown. That gives me more time to work on embroidery stuff.

G, the TV sometimes is a replacement for having real people around, just need to hear voices since chickens don’t talk. I have music playing on my iPad & carry it all around the house

Wags, how about we do a countdown to the winter solstice & more light? I think we have 28 days to go as of now & it will go fast! Hang in there friend :hug:

LC, good to see you & hear you are working your plan.

Ava, Congrats on your first egg, haha!
                    There are so many reasons the electrolytes go out of whack in the elderly. Most commonly it’s due to dehydration. They don’t feel thirsty as much as the rest of us & just don’t drink enough water. Then there’s other things like kidney disease, early stage renal failure, etc. If you get any message across to her it should be to drink more liquids even when not feeling thirsty. If they find any other reason they should advise her on the amount of liquids she needs to drink daily. Hope she’s better soon.

Slo, it sounds like you had a pretty good trip. Nice that your daughters were there as well. Maybe your sister should have skipped the event to save her quit.
                    You’re doing great, I’m happy for you.

NS, no small boys are definitely not helpful when you are trying to sew. Believe me, I know haha! I hope your holiday is wonderful.

Hello to everyone else & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                    Last edited by Lavande; November 23, 2021, 06:36 PM.
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Thanks for the support and hugs. I love the idea of a countdown to winter solstice and the beginning of longer days (sorry G and Ava!). I've also been trying to focus very locally on my immediate circles of influence, like my family and my neighborhood -- investing energy in friendships and a comfortable home, and trying to give back to those in greater need. It recently occurred to me that an Attitude of Gratitude would be an excellent tool for current times as well.

Ava - I'm so sorry to hear about your mom's fall! That would be especially hard knowing you can't drive to see her. In addition to Lav's excellent advice, I would add that having some fluids besides water might be helpful. If she likes it, coconut water is fantastic for maintaining electrolytes. That's great that your son was so helpful with the shower etc. I hope that your knee starts to heal quickly.

LC - good to see you posting!

NS - sorry to hear that you're dealing with a leg and back issue too. Being injured or even just slowed down is such a bummer. I hope you also heal quickly!

Hellos and waves G, Slo, Lav and everyone else stopping by the nest. It's almost hump day (again)!
                      Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Another quick fly by, Nesters..
                        without even having read all the latest posts..
                        I have a terrible head cold and feel like about a buck-o.nine..
                        but have to go to work anyway.
                        will check in again later..
                        hugs to all..xxx

Comment

Young daughter is on her way home from college right now! She hasn’t been home since she left for college!

Lav, how wonderful that you shared a holiday activity with your grandsons (baking gingerbread cookies), and taught them some skills too. I always baked cutout Christmas cookies for the kids to decorate, as did my mother for us growing up. I’ll have to remember to be that kind of grandma as they grow.
                          And putting your exercise bike in your embroidery room to use while the machine is running is an excellent idea!

Part of the reason I was fragile over the wedding weekend was that it was full moon time, and a blood moon and with an eclipse to boot. I am on a detox diet, and supplementing minerals & such to push detox and heal my liver, and detox always ramps way up at the full moon time, causing turmoil with both physical and emotional symptoms. So it was just a hard time for me. And hard to be at a wedding when I’m getting divorced, hard to have the DJ calling couples out on the dance floor based on how many years they’ve been married, etc. I’m finally getting back on a more even keel, and relieved that Thanksgiving and Christmas do not land at full moon time, and neither does the divorce date in January.

LC, I don’t envy you your cold! Thanks for checking in.

Heading into a drinking event tomorrow here in the U.S.with Thanksgiving upon us. Stay strong!
                          Last edited by Slo; November 24, 2021, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Greetings Nesters on this Thanksgiving eve

Looking forward to going to our daughter’s house for dinner tomorrow. She’s a pretty good cook too which is wonderful. I’m putting together some appetizers & a dessert to take along. There’s no drinking at her house, never has been which is awesome.

LC, sure hope you feel better soon! Take care.

Wags, haven’t we all been pushed too close to the edge over the past year or two? Geez, it seems to never stop, one thing after another. We’re collectively worn out I think. Here’s hoping teh new year does indeed bring us some kinder & healthier vibes.

Slo, the grandchildren have always been drawn to my kitchen, which is where I usually am, LOL. They’ve always been interested in what I’m cooking or baking & want to help. It really is a great opportunity to show them what you love to do.
                            Glad you’re feeling better about things & hope the new year is an excellent one for you. Enjoy your time with your daughter.

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!
                            Lav
                            Last edited by Lavande; November 24, 2021, 05:57 PM.
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

LC - hope you feel better soon!

Slo - enjoy the holiday with your daughter. That's wonderful she's able to come home.

Lav - some of my favorite memories with my grandma are of shared time in the kitchen when she taught me how to make a variety of things (especially baking). I'm sure your grands will treasure these memories with you as well.

Happy Thanksgiving to all in the U.S. and happy Thu/Fri to everyone!
                              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Evening nesters

Happy thanksgiving to you all and i hope you all have a lovely happy day with your loved ones.

Slo, you have a lot going on but at the end of the day, it will all be ok. it may take time to heal but we have lots of time now and i bet you turn out happier than you ex hubs does. At least we are working on a better life instead of being stuck in the unhappy one we used to be in.

i had a reasonable nights sleep last night which was good. today i had to take carl for a groom as he was so furry. As i have a manual car this was a challenge but i managed it. Also had the dentist where they took moulds for my teeth that will now go in January 2022. one implant has to wait until February to be moulded but thats ok. i do need root canal on a tooth which i am so not looking forward to but i know it has to be done. At least the knee pain distracted from the dental work.

Now taking it easy as i think i did too much. A man came up to me at the chemist today asking what i did to injure myself, he was telling me he does physio for elite athletes etc and i said wow i am right up your alley then with my eliteness. he laughed, not sure why! will definitely give him a call when i start physio which will be next week.

no more news for me, enjoying the chooks, Lav. Bob loves them and just sploots in front of their cage and watches. cant wait to have this brace off and i can let them wander after cutting their wing.

take care xxx
                                AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Working...
                                X