Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Hi, All:

Quick check in. LC, yes, all you can do is keep coming back. You got this!

Lav, generally I love weddings still I think. This one was just small and dull.

Just made a turkey sandwich to take to lunch and I am off to work! This alarm hits hard after 5 days off. Mostly I enjoyed many hikes in the daylight so my mood is so great. How is it the second to last day in November! I am so happy that I am not heading to work with a five day hangover! So grateful I don't drink!

Happy SOBER Monday.
    Pav

Comment

Hi Nesters...checking in on a Monday morning of a new week.

Missed check in yesterday as I was at my brother's house overnight Saturday babysitting sweet little 8 month old Amelia. My pseudo granddaughter. I didn't have my computer with me, and doing MWO on my phone is such a hassle for these old eyes.

Amelia was a handful for me this time. She is on the move, still not fully crawling but unless she is in the playpen you cannot take your eyes off of her for a second. But she is full of smiles and cuddles and loves her "Auntie Granny". But it was all good. Yesterday Amelia's mom and I went for a lovely walk near the Chesapeake bay...of course with Amelia in tow. it was a little breezy but always good to see a beach, especially in late November.

The downside of the whole thing was that I got a speeding ticket on the way there. I was trying to merge over 4 lanes of speeding traffic to get to the lane I needed to be in, and had to compete with the other speeders to get my 'slot'. Everyone was speeding...I guess I just drew the short straw. I will take this to traffic court though. I have not had a ticket, accident or even minor infraction in 47 years of driving, that should count for something, and I have the time to be "inconvenienced" with traffic court. And I'm pretty sure once I had gotten into my slot I would have slowed down.

On to kick day 3's butt. Have a good day everybody!
      BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Thanks, Wags. It is scary to just jump into something so major as a home purchase. Plus it sent the wrong message for a marriage that I was trying to salvage…but he had filed, so I felt I had to move forward to protect myself and figure things out. Not knowing where I’m going to land would be a big stressor.

I’ve been having such terrible indigestion and slowed ability to digest food over the last couple of months. Well I see it’s one way to lose weight as I dropped another 4 pounds this month, and 4 last month. I can’t seem to solve this. Next I’ll try a chiropractor to see if I have a hiatal hernia, then maybe try digestive enzymes next.

HB went out and picked out a Christmas tree with just daughter yesterday, and I’m afraid I overreacted. It felt bad to be cut out of something that we have been doing as a family lately.

I had to laugh at your description of the wedding, Pav! I get it too. They try so hard with all their little details, but the weddings still end up all similar to one another.
        And your description of enjoying seeing your son, but glad to have him go back to his own life too! I used to feel that way when the older girls all descended en masse for holidays.

Such a bummer about being so sick, LC, and glad you’re on the mend.

Wishing everyone a good day in the Nest.
        Last edited by Slo; November 29, 2021, 12:08 PM.
        Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

PAV, you sound so good!

Sorry about the speeding ticket Belle.... at least you didn't have any alcohol in your system! A beach sounds nice.

Slo, digestive stuff is so frustrating. Do you think stress could be impacting you? It can do all sorts of things physically. Maybe as you move on in your life, things will fix themselves. Our bodies can mirror our emotions and it's a hard thing, what you are doing! Proud of you!

LAV, I'm not surprised that you have strong, bad ass chickens.

Well, I caught the cold going around in my house. Two Covid-negative rapid tests, and not really covid symptoms, so I'm not worried about that. I may need to clean the sugar and carbs out of my diet though, because I haven't really been sick much in years. I guess we're all due at times. I'm feeling pretty on top of things with holidays though - with lights up, gifts purchased. Not going away for the entire Thanksgiving week has given me a little more time. I don't want to be stressed at the end of the month. And I love having lights to look at through my windows at night - since it is so darn dark at 4:30pm now!

Anyway, all good here otherwise. Back to work and dreading the grind. Looking forward to my son's 16th birthday tomorrow and celebration this weekend. I can't believe he's such a big human now.

Take care everyone.
          Last edited by KENSHO; November 29, 2021, 11:40 AM.
          Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hola friends!

Quick fly by. All ok here.

Happy birthday to your young fella friend Kensho. Great job super mum!

Get well soon LC!

Congratulations on day 3 Belle! Keep it rolling mi amiga.

Big hello's and waves to evabody. Keep up the incredible work y'all do no matter who no matter what.
            Last edited by Guitarista; November 29, 2021, 03:01 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Evening greetings Nesters,

Chilly out there but dry, no precipitation.
              Getting lots of work done in the afternoons & early evenings so I’ll be ready for Saturday.

Wags, what’s our winter solstice countdown now - 22 days I think? We’re getting there

Pav & Kensho, hope your first day back to work was OK. Nice to have turkey sandwiches to take along.

Belle, you were down near me. I’m only about 20 mins from the bay & I’ll bet you were driving the dreaded I-95. I gave up driving it, too fast for this old chick, haha! Glad you enjoyed your babysitting time with Amelia. Just wait until she really starts walking, they go so fast, haha!

Hi G, hope your day was fabulous!!

Slo, I second what Kensho said about the digestive issues. I can tell you from personal experience, stress gets me in the gut, every single time. I’m taking a variety of probiotics, change them up from Time to time for better results. Sorry your husband pulled such a selfish move getting the tree. Doesn’t your daughter say anything to him? I hope she would defend you. Try to focus on yourself & your reactions to things, I mentioned detachment a while ago - this is where it really helps. Hang in there :hug:

Hello to anyone else popping in later & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!
              Lav
              Last edited by Lavande; November 29, 2021, 06:33 PM.
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Belle - ugh, such a bummer about the speeding ticket! I hope going to traffic court will allow you to clear it off your record. That's what happens a lot of times.

Slo - I third the comment about stress and digestion. Whether that's part of your issue or not, I hope you're able to get things resolved soon. Sorry to hear about the xmas tree. How is your daughter doing with the whole divorce situation?

Kensho and Pav - you both sound great. Hope you feel better soon Ken!

Lav - that sounds about right for the solstice countdown!

Hellos and waves to G, LC and everyone else stopping by the nest. It's almost December but that's no reason to drink. Take care everyone.
                Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Evening nesters

quick check in for me, not much happening here. Bob had his first big boy hair cut with the groomer and looks like a different dog. he is 5 months old today.

Had our first real hot day today and i am ready for winter. i really do not like summer, winter i can get warm, summer i cant go out as its too hot for my porcelain skin lol.

back to work tomorrow though have been doing a few hours each day to keep on top. have a drs apt also to get my knee looked at and Thursday MRI so i should get some answers hopefully. i felt really good this morning, then turned and obviously the wrong way and that was me. trying to be positive now and maybe my knee injury is telling me to slow down.

mum turns 85 this weekend and i cant drive to see her, i did want to as she has been in hospital again so wanted to make sure she is ok and try and sort out some home care help for her. i dont think she will be too resistive now. Then again, you never know with my mother.

glad to see everyone is doing well. great work on day 3 Belle, i wish i had an Amelia, love the name.

take care xx
                  AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Good day, nesters,
                    Doing my morning check-in. I usually read without logging in during the evening though.

Sorry about the knee, Ava. I tripped on the dog leash a couple of weeks ago and thought I had a real problem, but it seems to have settled down. It is hard to find time for a doctor appointment! And Ava, I'll trade you summer for winter. Seems like the cold just rips through my bones. Here in the mid-atlantic it is a nasty damp cold. When I lived in western NY it was a dry cold and I could handle much colder temps without a problem...and yeah I was younger then.

I'm clearly in on the countdown to winter solstice. I like the idea of days getting longer, even though it seems to take a while to actually see it

Need to start Christmas shopping. I guess it is easier with big kids, but more expensive. And then there are the nieces. Amelia is going to be fun to buy for.

Lav, the part of the bay I visit is in southern Maryland, so I only have to do some of the DC beltway 495/95, and then a nice route down to where my brother is living, which is only about 15 minutes from the bay. The town of North beach used to be a mess in the 70's, however now they have fixed it up so nicely with little shops and a beautiful boardwalk and pier. My brother's 'wife', is from England/London and has traveled the world, however this little town of North Beach is her favorite place in the world right now.

I am with you LC...if I f*** up (which I don't plan to), I will NEVER, EVER, EVER give up trying.

Time for work...Later, all!
                    BelleGirl

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

We had our first snow flurries today. Noticed them & they immediately stopped, haha! Now we’re supposed to be having some warmer weather move in so I guess no more flurries for a while.

Wags, can’t believe tomorrow is Dec 1. The solstice will be here soon

Ava, I don’t like the heat either so you have company, ugh! I love. The colors of summer but the humid hot air is gross.
                      Try not to hurt yourself before you get in for your MRI, geez. Are. You beginning to feel like a danger to yourself like I am? Haha!! Sorry your Mom won’t have company for her birthday but I’m sure you’ll see her as soon as you can. Good luck on returning to work.

Belle, yep we’re sitting near the north end of the bay but it’s still a nice place to visit with interesting shops too. Funny that your SIL found her favorite place right there. Hope your work day was good.

Slo, if you’re anything like me you probably want to try to heal your gut yourself & leave the medical community out of the equation. Many years ago I discovered Dr Amy Myers online. She has some terrific supplements including one called Gut Revive. I use a scoop in a cup of tea every morning along with a scoop of collagen & I am 100% happy with the results. Look her up & see what you think.

Hello to the rest of the group & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi all, just a quick sober check-in post tonight. I realized that I haven't had enough music in my life recently, and music is one of my favorite mood-changers (especially mood lifters, although I've also been known to have a good cry-along a few times in life). That's my goal for this week and for December: set up a little music station that makes it easy to just pop a few uplifting/energizing songs on every day.

Do any of you have little goals for December (aka, the rest of this year ) ???

Stay safe everyone. We need you here :heartbeat:
                        Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi, All:

Well it is December 1 here, which means CONGRATULATIONS to my quit twin, Ava. Eight solid years of sobriety and being here to lead the way for others. You are an inspiration - getting through the ups and downs of life sober. Thanks for being our partner here, and I'm so grateful to have met you! xo

Slo, the only words that came to my head when I read about the tree were "what a dick move." (sorry everyone) I mean, really... I'm not sure what overreacting looks like to you, but I definitely would have reacted...

Belle, I love that area - I lived in DC for a short time, near Maryland. I love a winter walk on the beach, too.

Wags, music is a cure for sure. I have several sing along playlists for my car and I feel uplifted after singing along on the way to work (although lately I've been into podcasts). Thanks for the reminder. My December goal is to get at least 150 minutes of aerobic exercise a week. It may seem small to some of you, but it is hard for me to move during the week, so this forces my hand.

Happy SOBER December. We got this!
                          Pav

Comment

Hello Nesters,
                            quick check in before I have to head to the 'real' office today.

Congrats to Pav and Ava...8 years is truly awesome. I'm still working on getting my brain to relearn how to get through 8 days!! BUT I WILL.

gotta run...
                            BelleGirl

Comment

Your big day is here, Ava: it’s your 8-year sober-versary! I have to admire you for not saying, “I’ll wait until after Christmas” or “I’ll make it my New Year’s resolution”. Thank you for showing us the way. I so look forward to your posts, and gain strength for my own resolve to stay AF.

Wags, I want to focus on music too for my December little goal. I don’t play music enough. (I do play music for Mabel though, and played kid music for my daughters.) So for December I’ll focus on playing my Christmas CDs a lot, and playing it on Pandora too.

I was able to get in same day at a chiropractor (at 8 pm ) for my gut issues, and he thinks it’s from the stress too. He tucked the hiatal hernia back in, recommended 2T. of apple cider vinegar a day for signs of low stomach acid, did some other manipulations, recommended some homeopathy. I’ll see him weekly for 8 weeks. Lav, interesting how we both worked as nurses, but we both want to look elsewhere other than the medical community for our stomach issues! Well, they’ll just throw proton pump inhibitors at it, and won’t get to root causes. Thank you for the recommendation for the Dr. Amy Myers as another avenue to look for solutions.

Mabel is awake and crying, so time to go.
                              Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Hi Everyone. Happy Soberversary to PAV and AVA!
                                Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 11.53.18 AM.jpg
                                I've noticed that we all still have struggles and challenges and "lifey" things, but those who have sustained sobriety seem to know themselves better, have more mind-peace and find more stability and fulfillment. I see it in the long-timers here and am thankful to have you as continued inspiration as to what life can and should be without addiction! I hope you both do something wonderful to celebrate today!!

Wags, I love your question - great way to get through the darkness of winter here in the states. PAV, I wouldn't undercut five 30-min. workouts... that's a great goal!! I struggle to achieve that most weeks. My little goal is to cook more with the kids. We signed up for a meal-delivery service. Though I don't like the amount of packaging waste they send, I have turned over the entire dinner prep to the kids two nights a week, while I am their "assistant" and cleaner. My goal is that they know how to read a recipe and feel confident cooking full meals (that are not boxed macaroni) before they leave my house. So far, they have done one meal each, and they turned out great!! The bonus is that I'm not burned out doing all the cooking and planning, and that we are getting some much-needed variety in our menus, and quality time together in the kitchen. It empowers them, keeps them off their devices, and they feel great about themselves!

The other goal is getting a handle on financial planning. We just met with an advisor this morning, and got big picture scenarios. I need to spend less But life is NOT all about $. My happiness comes mostly from my daily gratitude list, which just seems to grow as I think about it each day.

Anyway, I'm eternally grateful for you all and my decision to cut alcohol from my life. It never gave me anything but short term pleasure and false security - and it took my honesty, self-worth, relationships, career growth and personal growth. I wouldn't trade sobriety for anything in the world. I hope everyone working for sobriety here keeps working on it until it sticks - it changed everything for me.
                                Last edited by KENSHO; December 1, 2021, 01:56 PM.
                                Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Working...
                                X