Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Hola friends,

Happy 4 years friend Kensho! Wowza you legend!

Glad you're ok Pav.

Slo, good luck on the fam front.

Big waves to evabody. Surf's up! Yo.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

No where to go today so I made a pot of soup & a double batch of vegan banana yogurt, yum. Trying to eat healthy before the holidays & all that so I don’t mess up my weight loss goals too much, haha!

Pav, sorry about your fall, glad you’re OK. I just passed the 20th anniversary of my big fall that left me with a fractured skull & surgery to put it back together. I am paranoid about falls now be careful.
      I told both of my kids that I didn’t want any grandkids until I was 50+ years old & they both said OK, LOL. First one arrived when I was about to turn 55 so it worked out great.

Slo, great to hear your daughter is doing well. I’ll bet she is excited.
      Mabel may want to start rubbing those tender gums on something while she’s teething. I loved those teething rings you keep in the fridge, offers them some relief.
      I think you’re going to feel tremendous relief once the divorce is finalized. It doesn’t sound like he’s considered your thoughts & feelings one bit. Keep your relationships with your daughters close, you’re going to be OK :hug:

Hi there G!

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi All,
        Doing the check-in. Need to stay close.

Slo, happy to hear that your daughter seems to be well keeping that baby where it should be! I hope this is the winner for them. Will this be their first?

My Amelia (pseudo granddaughter) is almost 9 months old and has those two bottom teeth in that look like saw blades. My brother and sister in law had some of those teething rings but did not know to put them in the freezer. Now she loves biting on them (and anything else that works).

Got thrown off yesterday...daughter who has had a swollen sore tonsil for 10 days was diagnosed with mono. I guess it is good timing related to school, but she was supposed to spend 4 days watching Amelia next week for good pay, free room and board. Clearly that is not going to happen and idk if we will even be able to see the Kansas cousins when they come right after Christmas. I am impressed that the dr tested her for mono as she has had no fevers, swollen glands or all the usual stuff you hear about. But her lab results showed she had "unequivocally mono". I do worry about my son getting it but since he does not kiss her, and should be careful about sharing utensils hopefully he will be ok. I hope and pray.

So this will throw a wrench into Christmas this year. But all the more reason not to drink. I should mention that the guy she is seeing mentioned to her "lots of guys on the football team had mono" just before he left for break (he's a pretty big football star who was offered alot of total scholarships". I'm pretty sure she got it from him whether he had a symptomatic case or not. She's not kissing anyone else...and clearly has been kissing him.

Time to get to work. a good distraction.
        BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Loved your post of gratitude for 4 much better-than-they-would-have-been years, [MENTION=20476]KENSHO[/MENTION]. Congratulations! Please add it to the toolbox!

I thought I had posted a few days and just logged on to find the "restore auto-saved content" button so apparently I didn't finish the job.

I'm enjoying the relatively warm weather we are having but it isn't worth the destruction and the likely reason we're experiencing it. Just like there's no going back to 'normal drinking', I don't think there is any going back to normal weather or pre-pandemic normal life. Things have changed. We're lucky to have learned some lessons from quitting drinking that will serve us well as these other things change.

xx

Comment

Well, the surf isn’t up here, but the wind sure is! I ended up staying over at daughter’s house again last night due to the high winds. Now I need to go back up to babysit tomorrow night! It’s fun though, watching Mabel learn how to crawl, and Beckett learn how to talk. She has lots of good teethers. I should try putting that water-filled kind in the refrigerator. When I have put it in the freezer, it gets too cold.

I went back to the chiropractor/kinesiologist guy today. It is amazing to get my neck cracked back into place, and a bulging back disc put back into place, and a rib that was too high pushed back down! Amazing stuff. Medicine as it should be.

I think you’re right, NS; we’re not going back to “normal” weather, nor back to normal life pre-pandemic. Things have changed. I hope I can weather the changes as a divorced person -or would I have been wiser to have tried to stay married? Would that have been a more secure position from which to ride the cataclysms & catastrophes of the new normal? Can’t put that cat back into the bag though.
            At least we are handling this new era from the secure position of being AF!

That’s too bad about your daughter catching mono, Belle.

I bet you’re scared to death of falling after your Big Fall down the stairs, Lav! And alcoholics often die doing that very thing. What a relief to leave that 20 years in the past!

Merry December to all.
            Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Yep, it’s still mild & dry here but it will change eventually, I hope!
              I’m at the point of mixing up cookie doughs & putting them in the fridge until I actually feel like baking. This technique works for me
              Stopped at Walgreens today to pick up another bottle of cough syrup for my spouse. Once again I was asked by the 18 year old at the cash register if i was under 40. I laughed again & told her no & neither are my kids, HAHA!!!! I don’t know what people under 40 do with cough syrup that’s so sketchy. This stuff has no alcohol in it so what’s the big deal?

Belle, sorry your daughter has mono, mine had it when she was young. I think the possible long term effects are more of an issue than the actual infection. My daughter is now blaming certain aches/myalgia on mono. Hope she’s OK.

NS, I agree, nothing is or will be the same. We are all going to have to adjust to a new world where things will be different, sad.

Slo, staying steady on my two feet is a must! Not running myself ragged from work & trying to run a household & getting overly exhausted carrying things up & down the steps is a must.
              I hope your babysitting time is fun. We have had some windy days here too but nothing too serious. Still feeling so bad about the tornado victims.

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Quick sober check in for me tonight. We're almost to the solstice Lav!

Take care everyone. I'll catch up with you all tomorrow.
                Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hope the work dinner was fun after all, Ava. Did you get a nice gift? Like a new car!?!

Lav, you have to stock up on soups & such to combat all the cookies you’re baking! Congratulations on your weight loss!

When my daughter was in high school, I’d ask her to pick up NyQuil at the drug store if she was there getting other things. That didn’t work! She’d get a very hairy eyeball from the clerk too. What indeed is TikTok telling them to do with cough syrup?!

That’s too bad that your daughter can’t babysit baby Amelia for those 4 days, Belle, due to her illness. It would be good experience for her to be able to do that.
                  Yes, this is daughter D2’s first baby, if all goes well.

It’s Friday, Wags! Hope you get the weekend off!

Hard to believe it’s the last weekend before Christmas! Good luck to all.
                  Last edited by Slo; December 17, 2021, 09:06 AM.
                  Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Hi, All:

Slo, I'm with Lav. Hearing what we hear here, you're better off without that guy. He sounds manipulative and mean. I know you love (loved) him and had great years and great kids come of it, but you do need to consider yourself. Loneliness seems really real, especially this time of the year, but you are a social person, and you have wonderful relationships with your kids. Take care of yourself.

Kids drink whole bottles of cough syrup at once for a high. It's called "Robo-ing," as in Robitussin. I am not sure what the ingredient is that makes it happen. Prescription cough syrup has promethezine or something like that that is also good for a high, and Nyquil is like 40% alcohol... Anyway - where there's a will to get high, there's a way!

Belle, we had mono here when my kid was middle school. Poor thing was sick as a dog and missed two weeks of school. That is a rough diagnosis this time of the year, and she's lucky to have you.

Lav, I don't know how you can make cookies and NOT eat them! I am not very good at that. My son and I are supposed to make cookies this weekend. We'll see.

We had a graduation yesterday for kids who didn't quite make it in June. It was very festive and celebratory and put me in a good mood.

Wags and Lav I'm with you on the countdown to solstice. I purchased a light to shine in my face every morning for "light therapy." Just started two days ago but I'll let you know if it works...

Happy SOBER FRIDAY!!!!!

Pav

Comment

I have one of those lights, Pav. I'm not positive it works but it certainly doesn't hurt. And if there is a placebo effect -- I'm fine with that! I think placebo effects are more amazing than drug effects - they mean we have made a change with our thoughts/beliefs. Talk about a super-power!

I've been willing my back to be better. That (along with exercises from the PT :wink has yielded some improvement. Actually, my main complaint now is the opposite knee that I think I jacked up while I was walking weirdly with the injured leg.

Slo, from your description of your husband, I don't think still being married to him would be an asset to you in the turbulent years ahead. It does not sound like he even considers your interests sometimes, much less put you first. You will be free to help your kids and grandkids as needed without any concern for his schedule. If you decide to move, you'll be able to move. You'll be able to live life and adapt to its challenges on your own terms and with your interests, and those of the people you love, driving the decisions. Please stop second-guessing yourself. xx

I was going to have a houseful this weekend but one family canceled, at least until tomorrow. They don't have Covid but aren't feeling well. So... I have A LOT of food to eat! Some can be frozen but it is disappointing to run around getting ready and then having things cancelled. I suppose we need to be ready for quite a bit of that this holiday season...

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

We are finally supposed to have a bit of rain tomorrow. Weird how it’s been so dry here the past month. FB reminded me of a picture I took 1 year ago today where we had several inches of snow & lots of ice. That’s definitely not the case this year.

Wags, we really are getting close to teh solstice where we can jump for joy together

Slo & Pav, my secret to baking & not eating many cookies is I put real dairy in them. So I have to make a choice - do I want a cookie that bad?? Haha!!

NS, it’s so typical hurting your knee after injuring the other. We do overcompensate & pay the price. Sorry about your plans, we are all probably going to be dealing with this to some extent.

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Are we at the solstice yet? I need more light. It’s 5:47 pm here and it feels like 10pm.

PAV – I didn't read about your fall - I hope you are ok. Isn’t it so great to pass right on by those hangovers and have fabulous mornings? That never gets old to me!

Ava, did you get a present? I hope you at least got recognized for your hard work! I am so thankful that people like you are sticking around in the tough job you have. Why has your car not arrived?

Slo, I remember feeling all sorts of things during a split up. Hang in there. It gets easier and you may see things differently with more time.

LAV, that fall you had sounds terrible! Yikes!

I might take a break from the news for awhile. It’s hard to wrap my mind around an entire world of harsh news and I have to remind myself that there are just as many people opening doors for others and leaving large tips at restaurants. I’d rather focus on that - and add to it when I can.

I’m struggling to get work done at the moment. I think I’m going to stop for the night and lay on the couch. My son wants us to watch Squid Games, so we may check that out. I still have to Rochambeau my husband to see who picks up our daughter at a friend’s house later tonight. Glad she is hanging out with nicer girls. The last group was mean to her. It makes me happy that she has decided that she wants to be with people who build her up, not tear her down. Proud of her. The kids have 2.5 weeks off now. I will get less quiet time, but also want to make cookies and sleep in! I’m actually looking forward to it.

One last thing… we saw Nathanial Rateliff concert last night and I did NOT want a drink. At all. I did want to have stilts due to the 6'-9" man in front of me, but I enjoyed listening without the booze!

Best to all.
                          Last edited by KENSHO; December 17, 2021, 08:19 PM.
                          Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Kensho - I'll be curious to hear what you think about Squid Games if you watch. I saw the whole series but didn't care for the brutal violence. Enjoy the upcoming 2.5 weeks with your kids!

Pav - I hope the light works for you! I am very interested in your update on this after you've tried it for a bit longer. Living in such a gray part of the world, I often wonder if such a light would benefit me too.

Belle - I hope your daughter feels better soon!

NS - I think you're right that things will never return to what used to seem "normal" in many ways. We are in for some rough times for sure.

Hellos and waves to Lav, Slo, and everyone else hanging out in the nest. Hope you all have great weekends!
                            Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Have a beaut weekend evabody. It's only the weekend, not a dawgon ticket to no freakin boozeville see. That old track's sure gittin unrecognisable due to all those weeds sprouting up due to that train no longer running.

Take it easy.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Wags, Squid Games was interesting, but I also don't like gory violence. It was diabolic. I can't decide whether to keep watching, or whether it will just feel like I need a shower afterword. Is the story and creativity worth it?

G, I never read the quote at the end of your post - I like it. Must be a good book? Do you write lyrics for your music or mainly rock the guitar?

My dad called last night and told me that he has moderate chronic kidney disease (AKA kidney failure according to google). He's 76. I noticed that he aged a lot in the past year and a half during covid, after he retired from teaching yoga. He said he just sort of quit moving and ate a lot of comfort food. I hope it is treatable with lifestyle choices... I love my dad so much and it hurt to hear that. I know my parents are getting to their twilight years, and I really need to focus less on my busy days and go see them more.

I know this is a fringy thing, but I've recently run across a few things about life after death. In my opinion, there are WAY too many people from all ages, cultures, and religious backgrounds who explain similar events in their near death experiences. Almost all of them say that life is mostly about people. It's not all about work and "success" - it's about the lives you've impacted, the relationships you've nurtured, and the kindness you've shown. I believe all of our individual pursuits matter - but I never want to lose sight of what is important, especially as I become so aware of my parents' mortality.

Sorry to be so deep. That's a trip into the Kensho mind that I don't always share. Have a good day Everyone, and make the world a better place with even one small gesture.

Hugs to all.
                                Last edited by KENSHO; December 18, 2021, 12:13 PM.
                                Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Working...
                                X