Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Morning nesters

NS hope your back is feeling better with PT. i am seeing my physio weekly and my knee feels a lot more stable until it reminds me it isnt. Its very hard not to limp lol.

Slo, be grateful you have a chance at happiness and peace in your life and you are sober. Look at the positives that will come into your life. We dont need others to make us complete as a person and you seem pretty complete to me with yourself and your children. Its sad, yes, and you loved him but hes an arse and at the end of the day you deserve better and you do have better, you have yourself and your girls and your g-babies. I am so glad your other daughter is still pregnant.

My niece has been taking Jasper out for walks now which is just lovely to see. I suppose if he has one of his events she can always call an ambulance and she has the portable oxygen for him. He is such a happy bubs and im so glad she can have some normality with him.

I get my car on Monday (tomorrow), it is now a grey colour and has done a few more k's on the clock but that is okay. i just want it. I will then msg my mother and see if she wants me to drive down and pick her up for xmas. she will probably refuse but thats her choice and i have at least then tried. My son says she is losing a lot of weight but she does go to the dr which is good.

Kensho, i watched the hunger games and didnt mind it except for the absolute brutality. it does show what human nature is like when faced with death and that bit was quite interesting.

we have had a couple of hot days, 35 celcius yesterday and now its cool and raining. i do like the change in weather.

My friend has gone to the UK to suprise his mum for her 90th birthday and tested positive on arrival. he now misses his mums party but hopefully she will be able to visit for xmas. he has 8 days before he can be out of quarantine. we think it is a false positive test but there is no way of fixing this apparently. At least he is spending time with his daughter and son which is lovely. he has no symptoms and feels fine.

Today i am going to shampoo some rugs of mine and maybe do a bit of work, i go on leave on Tuesday till 4th January so am excited about doing nothing. Cant believe xmas is so close, i must go food shopping at some stage and finish wrapping presents.

Happy birthday Lav, i hope you have a lovely day.

take care xx
    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Busy baking again today but it’s fun.
      We have fresh greens including baby bok choy growing in the greenhouse so I stir fried a bunch of veggies, yum

Ava, thank you for the birthday wishes. I know you’re a day ahead of the rest of us so you are the first to say happy birthday
      I hope your ‘new to you’ car makes you happy & comfortable to drive. If your Mom wants to stay home that’s her decision, don’t worry too much. Good to hear about Jasper getting outside for some fresh air.

Kensho, I haven’t watched any of those newer shows. I decided a long time ago they cause me anxiety, something I had plenty of on my own.
      I spend a fair amount of time contemplating on ‘life after death’. I’ve actually been dreaming about meeting my Mom & brother when I get there (wherever there is). I have always tried to be kind & doing no harm was a big part of my nursing practice.

Hello to the entire crowd & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Good evening, on the eve of Lav’s birthday!

Thanks for explaining “Robo-ing”, Pav. An educator would know what the kids do with Robutussin!
        That’s great that your school recognized the kids who didn’t quite graduate on time, with a ceremony to still celebrate them.

I think of getting one of those light-therapy lights too. I hear the Sperti lamp is a good-quality one, although expensive.

NS, did the other family end up turning up for your weekend gathering? It’s even more hard to get ready for a big crowd of company when hobbled, like you are with your back/leg pain. I wish that would go away!

I can’t tolerate gory, brutal violence very well either in movies & shows. It’s rarely worth it for the storyline for me.

A trip into Kensho mind is a lot like a trip into Slo’s mind. I have read a ton of near-death experience accounts. You are quite right about what they say about love & relationships & kindness being what really matters. I hope I can do better at those things in the last third of my life. Also I don’t think an interest in the afterlife is so fringy anymore.
        Sorry about your dad’s kidney health, Kensho. My mother is 79, and her health has taken a noticeable step down in the last couple of years also -her heart mostly, and her vision. Although she’s still more healthy & active than many her age.
        It’s hard to imagine a yoga teacher who stops moving and eats comfort food. But, he did retire after all! Also COVID lockdown was hard on a lot of people.

Wags, you must be busy with work, but maybe will get a break over the holidays? Woo hoo for you, Ava, with your holiday time off!

Thanks for the pep talks, everyone. I take it all on board as I go through this scary time. It’s getting so close now.

I’m fighting off the grandkids’ colds now -back to a sore throat and swollen glands. Time for a warm bath!
        Last edited by Slo; December 18, 2021, 09:59 PM.
        Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Kids drink whole bottles of cough syrup at once for a high. It's called "Robo-ing," as in Robitussin. I am not sure what the ingredient is that makes it happen. Prescription cough syrup has promethezine or something like that that is also good for a high, and Nyquil is like 40% alcohol... Anyway - where there's a will to get high, there's a way!
          It's the dextromethorphan that's responsible, it's technically a dissociative a bit similar to ketamine. It has quite different effects at different amounts (a large amount will knock you on your ass, with lot's of inward hallucinations/closed eye visuals). Back in the day I used to sometimes take low doses of it as it gave kind of an interesting euphoric buzz (almost a bit like booze combined with a stimulant), went really well with music.

Wags, Squid Games was interesting, but I also don't like gory violence. It was diabolic. I can't decide whether to keep watching, or whether it will just feel like I need a shower afterword. Is the story and creativity worth it?
          I'd say yes, but I'm a sucker for dystopian fare (I absolutely love Black Mirror). That being said, I still found it kind of hard to watch at times, and I had to space out the episodes over a few days to be able to handle it, not to let it get into my head too much.
          Last edited by Mulburry; December 18, 2021, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Kensho - I agree that people are what matters. That looks different for each of us of course, but some of the "richest" people I know have very little in the way of money or possessions but very high-quality relationships, and they are probably the happiest (or at least most content) people I know. As for Squid Games, I would say the underlying message of the series connects somewhat with your reflections about what we can learn from people who have had near-death experiences (mostly from the angle that money acquisition, especially at the cost of hurting/killing people, does not bring the happiness people sometimes expect that it will). I would say it can be worth watching but do so thoughtfully.

Lav - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! I didn't realize your b-day was so close to winter solstice. You get two reasons to celebrate in a very short amount of time. Well, 3 really, with xmas coming soon.

NS - sorry to hear about your back and knee pain. I hope that PT (and your strong will) are able to bring you some relief very soon.

Ava - I'm sure you'll be very happy to get your car on Monday!

Excellent weekends everyone!
            Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi, Everyone!

It is cold here for here! And more rain coming! Feels good to have a bit of winter for a change, although we were helping out outside yesterday and were like icicles by the end. We don't have proper winter gear...

NS, sorry about your back situation - hope it really is improving.

Kensho, deep, shallow, it's all good here.

Will let you all know about the light. I got a highly rated but cheap one and I am not using it this weekend - forgot. I'll get back to it on Monday. CAN'T WAIT FOR SOLSTICE! I lived in the UK for a winter and visited northern Scotland in the winter. It was dark VERY early and I understand why alcoholism is more prevalent in those northern regions!

Baking some banana break, making spiced pecans for gifts, and cooking a side dish for a party this afternoon. I love having time in the kitchen!

Happy SOBER weekend, all.
              Pav

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

My DIL & grandsons brought dinner to me, nice surprise! My son joined us after he got back from work.
                It was nice not cooking for a change but I did do more baking this morning. I’m a habitual baker at this point in my life, makes me happy

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest & Thank You for the birthday wishes

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

One day closer to Solstice!

Lav - sounds like a wonderful birthday with your family. Glad you had such a nice day.

Pav - it's cold and wet all up and down the west coast here I think. We got a little snow overnight, and I actually think that might be our best weather for the next week or so. Glad you're getting precipitation though.

Happy new weeks everyone!
                  Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi nester's.

Happy birthday Lav!

Ava, great news on your new car! Safe travels.

Good to see u Mulberry.

Call me crazy but i'm arranging another guitar trip to South america for February. Ok, i'm crazy for cryin' out loud... As long as the borders remain open.

Take it easy out there. Surf's up.
                    Last edited by Guitarista; December 20, 2021, 03:40 AM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Ava, HAPPY CAR DAY!! Enjoy the easier travel

Lav, Happy Birthday!!! I missed it, but hope you enjoyed something wonderful for yourself. Perhaps some dairy-free cookies Can you grow things in your greenhouse all winter? I think I need one. Interesting that you've been dreaming about meeting your loved ones.

Slo, hope your bath helped fight that cold.

PAV, enjoy your kitchen time. I love it when it is not rushed or stressed. Vacation cookie making for us this afternoon.

G, follow your heart Amigo!

I am going to visit my dad this morning to get more information on his kidney situation. I ordered a couple cookbooks for him. I want to better understand his situation and how bad it might be. I am definitely not ready to lose my dad. I've been thinking of learning reiki recently - and that could be helpful to him. Not sure why I'm all of a sudden highly interested in spiritual stuff, but I am studying astrology and remove viewing at the moment - apparently I have some natural talent with it. Maybe I can win the lottery - HA!

Anyway - I have a chore list for the kids each day this break (so they don't just sit and scroll their phones). They were not happy with me, but I could tell they felt accomplished yesterday and more balanced. And our basket of unmatched socks is smaller for it

Have a good sober day everyone. Alcohol never helped with anything in life.
                      Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hi All, Happy almost solstice check-in. I'm a big fan of winter solstice as to me it means that we are in an upswing and headed in the right direction of sunlight and warmer weather.

Happy Birthday, Lav. Hope you were treated well. My birthday has become a non-event now that the kids are away at college. It's ok with me as I would rather not think of life in numbers of years.

Thanks for all the good wishes for my daughter. Her sore and swollen tonsil is improving and really that is and has been her only symptom. I am really thankful to that doc that ordered the mono test. I would have had no clue even though my name is Dr Mom. But I am truly thankful that her symptoms are so mild.

However this whole thing throws the holidays into a big ????? We can see Amelia almost anytime, as she is only 1 hr away...but the cousins from Kansas don't come around too often and I know my sister in law loves to get together. I think I am going to have to clearly "opt out" because daughter is still in the contagious period and I just don't want to be responsible for the cousins getting mono, especially my niece who has type 1 diabetes.

Congrats on the new car, Ava. Perhaps this will give your knee time to rest and heal faster.

Kensho, good on you for learning more about your Dad's condition. It is hard to see our parents decline, and knowing that someday (hopefully not soon) we will have to say goodbye. I watched my Dad decline (while still SMOKING) for years. But then my Mom had a heart condition and died within 2 weeks. It was a shock. I really still miss both of them so much and wish they could have been around to meet their new granddaughter.

Slo...I went through a divorce at a young age (30?). I was married to an alcoholic (yes isn't that ironic) who became abusive. I knew I had too much life ahead of me to live like that forever. We did not have kids, I wanted the divorce, but it was still awful. It was not like I didn't love him, I only knew I could not stay in that situation. I would sit in the garage and cry every Friday when I came home from work knowing I would be spending another weekend with him. My current husband can be an ass as I have mentioned here...but as I put more distance between me and AL, he seems better. Perhaps it was me...and the AL? Jury is still out on how I want to spend my future, but I know I do not want AL in it.

I have to attend a work holiday party at my boss' home today. It is a mansion with a bowling alley, complete bar and all kinds of vintage games like pinball. However, out of the 10 of us there is one anti vaxxer, anti masker who will be there. I think I will go late and leave early...unfortunately due to this woman's lack of concern for anybody but herself. But I know I will not be drinking AL there!
                        BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Morning nesters

Well i am on leave till early January though still have to do work on occasion as per usual. one day they may get a temp in when i go on leave.

Belle, you are sounding so calm and happy, i am so glad you got rid of those last remnants of drinking. Wow what a house, i used to love pin ball machines, still do but you can never find any. Maybe that will be my next investment. I meant to say before, i hope your daughter feels better soon. I think with all our mask wearing here we dont seem to have as many cold and flu or virus's around except for covid of course.

Lav, i hope you had a lovely birthday, just another year of being above ground which is always a bonus ha ha.

I finally got my car. Two hours i sat at the car place, not the best of service. filled out the forms and they gave me the key and said bye. it kept beeping at me but i didnt close the door properly, felt like i was going to take off into outer space. I said to my daughter today i dont feel i deserve a new car but i have worked hard to get here. my old car that i now need to sell was bought when i was drinking. the loan company used to call me constantly telling me i was behind in payments. i became great friends with that woman. how sad is that! My credit rating took a massive dive when i was guzzling grog. i did manage to bluetooth my phone to the car so that was good. was going to bring in the car book and read it but its about the size of the bible so that can stay in the car for a bit longer.

Hi G, an o/s trip, i do hope you get there. its scary travelling anywhere these days but we cant let fear rule out lives. Hopefully i will be more mobile soon and be able to meet Steady and yourself for a catch up. getting there is okay, walking too far is not.

bought a carpet shampooer the other day and i cant get the water to come out so now have to ring the support centre. why cant stuff be easy. Need to get organised for xmas day as the kids will be here

take care xx
                          AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Originally posted by available View Post
                            Lav, i hope you had a lovely birthday, just another year of being above ground which is always a bonus ha ha.
                            This reminds me of the birthday card I got my sister this past year: “Neither one of us ended up dead or in jail this year, so it was a good year!”
                            Well with middle brother dying and little brother getting a DUI and ending up in jail that year, somehow it seemed appropriate.

Yes, you deserve that car, Ava!
                            Nice that it’s Summer by you, so baby Jasper can get out for walks.

I won’t call you crazy, Mr. G! Something about South America pulls you there. Maybe it’s the chicas!

Pav, you sound as busy as Lav in the kitchen!
                            Glad your son & his family were thoughtful towards you for your birthday, Lav.

Kensho, in addition to contributing, and feeling accomplished and more balanced, the various chores will help train your kids for adulting in adulthood! They will gain experience with what all has to be done.

Thank you for sharing about your divorce, Belle. I wanted the divorce too, but I’m finding it to be awful! I love him too still somewhat, but also was feeling that I just couldn’t stay in the situation any longer where I feel like the scum on the bottom of someone’s shoe. It’s hard to know what is best.
                            Good luck with the work party at the fancy mansion today.

Well, Beckett is home now from daycare, and Mabel will wake up soon. I need to kick it into gear for Christmas! Only 4 more days.
                            Last edited by Slo; December 20, 2021, 05:58 PM.
                            Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

I have officially finished baking today, haha! I have enough cookies to feed an army or two
                              According to my calculations we are about approx. 16 hours away from the solstice. Hear that Wags?? We made it, yay!! Looking forward to the light returning.

Kensho, we do have the greenhouse heated so we can grow veggies all winter. The Amish growers now have these huge ‘hoop houses’ that they heat with propane heaters too & they grown all winter long.

Belle, I would prefer my birthday to be a non-event too. Since the grandkids have been around it’s become a national holiday almost, LOL
                              Glad your daughter is doing OK. I don’t want to see people over the holidays if they’ve not been vaccinated, it’s just not safe. What will it take for people to get off their a$$es & get the shots?

Ava, being above ground at this point IS a gift, believe me. My Mom passed at 65, my brother at 67 so I’m grateful to still be here.
                              It takes a while to adjust to a new car, take your time

G, if you can travel safely then why not? I hope it works out for you.

Slo, no one has any business making you feel less than you are. I’d run to save myself from that kind of treatment. He obviously needs some psychiatric help.
                              Keep enjoying your grands, they’re the best thing for your soul :hug:

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

G - where are you headed in Latin America this time??? I'm SO jealous. I love to travel and I've been to South America several times and have traveled through 5 or 6 countries -- still so much more to see and do. I hope you are able to travel, safely, and I will look forward to living vicariously through you for the time being.

Kensho - I'm sorry to hear about your dad's kidney troubles. That's cool that you're interested in reiki. A lot of people find it to be helpful -- seems like a worthwhile idea to at least explore further.

Ava - glad you were able to get your car finally, in spite of the delays etc, and I hope it helps you carry on as your knee heals up. You totally deserve it!

Belle - the work party with the anti-vax/mask person sounds like a bummer (or more specifically, that person sounds like a bummer). Surprised she'll be allowed to attend that way. We'll stay tuned for your updates on how things went. Glad your daughter is feeling somewhat better, but sorry about the wrench in your holiday plans. Mono is nothing to mess with, as I'm sure you know.

Lav - by the time you see this, solstice will be here!!!

Woohoo for longer days in the northern hemi, and so sorry to all of you in the southern hemi -- enjoy your long-ish days while they last (if you like long sunlight of course!).
                                Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Working...
                                X